Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• June 20, 2013 11:52 PM CDT
    • I REMEMBER , I FIRST HEARD "Pushin' Too Hard " on a Columbia records TV commercial , but it was only snippets of each song     " WESTERN  UNION , THERE GOES MY BABY, CHARLIE BROWN , SHIMMY SHIMMY KO KO BOP , WHEN A MAN LOVES A WOMAN , I GOT A FEELIN' , YOU'RE PUSHIN' TOO HARD !".   THE SONG HAD TO BE 6 YEARS OLD , TOPS. BUT NOSTALGIA WAS SLOWLY MOVING FASTER (BAD PLAY ON WORDS).....WHICH IS WHY "NUGGETS'' WAS A NECESSITY. ALL THESE PEOPLE HAD THOSE AM GARAGE  HITS ON 45s THAT THEY DID'NT PUT IN SLEEVES , GOT ALL SCRATCHED AND HAMMERED , AND WROTE "THIS RECORD BELONGS TO GAYLE SILVERSTIEN" IN BLACK MARKER ON THE LABEL.

• June 20, 2013 11:29 PM CDT
    • I saw The Lime Spiders twice in 1987. Both really good shows. The second of which had them opening for PIL , who were still very good live , just not AS good. I met all the guys in the Lime Spiders. Mick Blood was outgoing , but pretty arrogant. I remember him telling me I should "Give that Motorhead badge a rest" . GOD ! WHO CARES?!!!

manthon said:

"slave girl" 

• June 20, 2013 3:20 AM CDT

• shmo said:

Heavens to murgatroid , even!! Thee Headcoats. i didn't know what i liked about it, and nobody that i showed it to liked it so i thought it was a fluke.

iT'S FUNNY HOW THAT WORKED , FOR YEARS , ABOUT TEN OF 'EM ,WHEN CHILDISH HAD THE MILSHAKES GOING , THEN THEE MIGHTY CAESARS AND THEE (EARLY ) HEADCOATS , HE COULD'NT GET ARRESTED IN THE STATES , UNTIL HE'D BEEN ON SUB POP FOR A WHILE. THEN , SUDDENLY , HE WAS GOD. I WAS WELL OVER HIM , ABOUT 15 YEARS AGO , BUT , I KEPT MY COPY OF "HEAVENS TO MURGATROID" BECAUSE IT WAS SIGNED BY DAN CLOWES.....AND IT'S ON BLUE VINYL , AND IT WAS ONE OF HIS BETTER ALBUMS.

• June 20, 2013 9:53 PM CDT
    • iF anyone CAN NAME 10 FLOCK OF FLEAGULLS songs , it's probably because they did'nt live through The 80's , and think it was a cool time. Well , probably cooler than The 90's ....and the Owts. BUT , THAT'S NOT SAYING MUCH !!!

• June 20, 2013 5:54 PM CDT
    • I fuckin hate Flock of Seagulls. If anyone can name 10 songs by'em... I fuckin hate aw 10 of'em. Never mind the guys twatty hairdo. They're pish!  Black Betty by the RamJamWank! I can do without as well!

• June 20, 2013 4:12 PM CDT
    • 1) Dunno that song ,but , I know I already spoke about CCR. It sucks that Fogerty got fucked out of his own songs , and even got sued for "The Old Man on The Road" , for sounding too much liek one of  his own songs ! But I can't get too worked up over him or CCR ,I like a song or two here and there, I know I'm in a minority so small it's invisible to teh human eye. Not saying they're bad , just been hearing them for over 40 years. Can't get too geeked up over 'em. Gimme The Blasters , any day.

2. I liked CLAPTON , ALL RIGHT, WITH tHE YARDBIRDS AND JOHN MAYALL, IS HE OVERRATED LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER? OF COURSE. BECK TOOK THE yARDBIRDS INTO SOME really innovative twists and turns. I even like Page with The YARDBIRDS , BUT , CLAPTON WAS THERE AS LONG AS HE NEEDED TO BE ,HE WAS NOT AN "IDEA MAN"......

3. I agree , I could'nt even name a worst Eagles song for this thread. They're ALL so bad.

4. Fleetwood Mac , WEEEEELLLLL. FROM 1968 - 1970 , THEY WERE THE BADDEST WHITE BLUES BAND ON THE PLANET. With the super killer triple Guitar front line of Peter Green (Who favored CHICAGO BLUES AND VARIOUS ELECTRIC BLUES), DANNY KIRWAN (BEST ELMORE JAMES INTERPRETER THIS SIDE OF BRIAN JONES.) and Jeremy Spence (A not - so closeted 50'S Rock'n'Roll and Rockabilly enthusiast.), Fleetwood Mac could do no wrong , for a while.....Peter Green , their acknowledged leader , left , first , ostensibly because he had a very bad acid trip in Germany (As did Kirwan , reportedly.). He gave all his money to charity (Duly noted in The Clash's "Jail Guitar Doors " .), was commited to a mental hospital by his Father , and eventually decided to get back to his Jewish heritage  , even living on a Kibbutz in Israel for a time. After several comeback attempts , he was touring the world by the 90's , and putting on pretty good shows . Spencer took over as leader of the band for a while , and has only started touring again after a long absence. Kirwan joined a cult called The Children of God , he's around , somewhere....

But , please , don't judge Fleetwood Mac from the crap they recorded from 1975 on. They were once  a great band.

5. I know what you mean , tho' I find myself liking more McCartney stuff in my older age , most specifically , "Ram" and "Run Devil Run''.

6.HA HAAAAA! Beast of Burdon , My Pizza's Burnin' !

7. I know , A lot of those people did'nt own the songs , and could only make a few sheckles by re-recording them.....Sometimes , the results were'nt bad , especially Little Richard (OK , THAT'S THE  50'S) RE-MAKES FOR K-TEL, OF ALL LABELS , AFTER YEARS OF BAD REMAKES. Seriously....Some of The Equals' remakes were'nt bad , if only because they were padded out with decent cover songs and some killer originals , like "Bad Boy". The Strawberry Alarm Clock just put out a CD that's mostly remakes of their old songs , but , they're all good , and some are better than the originals. tHE TROGGS' REMAKES OF "Feels Like a Woman" and "Strange Movies" on "Black Bottom" (1980?) are good , it seems they did 'em just to have the songs on an album. But "AU", THEIR LAST (?) STUDIO LP , HAD A FEW GOOD NEW ONES , AND SOME really unnecessary remakes.....

8. I could'nt believe Ska was coming back (Again.) when it did , in the 90's. It was'nt that popular West of England during the previous revival. Some of those bands did OK , but , obviously could only have hits with non - Ska material ("I Confess" , "Our House"...)...I used to be into that stuff.Not so much , now.   BUT THIS NEW SHIT IS TERRIBLE ! I AGREE. TURN AROUND , GO BACK !

9. Don't know the song , but , it made me furious when people called 'em "Glam".

10. Don't know that song , either, but , never got it with those guys , BoDeans , Smithereens , whoever was hot in the "Adult Radio Rock" world.

• June 20, 2013 12:07 PM CDT
    • 1) John Fogerty- without the revival-
      " put me in coach"- no thanks, dick..
      2) Eric Clapton- "slow hand"- yep, the yardbirds were better without u. Jeff beck rules!
      3) Eagles- most anything... Tequilla sunrise.. El stinko
      4) Fleetwood mac- most anything. Any stevie nicks song or collboration. Ruined tom petty for Me.
      5) Wings- have a couple hooks here and there, but overall garbage.
      6) Stones- beast of burdon - que? My pizza's burnin? Rather listen to the ducktales theme song
      7) Any rercorded songs from 60s and redone because of ownership restrictions...popular in 80s. Gotta read small print. Just terrible versions.. Troggs... Especially the Animals stuff.

8) mighty mighty bosstones... Knock on wood. Ska revival of late 90s... Reverse nike symbol.. Don't do it

9) poison- every rose... I like to stab u in the eye and strangle u with those pretty Nelson brothers hair. Nuff said.
      10) proclaimers- 500 miles. I drive further to get away from this tune. Stick to whatcha know. Getting wasted.

• June 20, 2013 4:30 AM CDT
    • completely agree!!

and i confess: i never liked Springsteen, really! (and hate even the very early skorpions)

NoiseMaker said:

Time to get it off my chest...

Hey Jude - The Beatles

Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys

Unchained melody -The Righetous Bros

Hotel California - The Eagles

Born in the USA -Springsteen

ANYTHING by Journey...

ANYTHING by Def Leopard

...I better stop,,,,my brain is smokin'

• June 20, 2013 3:10 AM CDT
    • DEF LEPPARD. They did'nt even have a cool past like The Scorpions (First two albums , trust me. Black Sabbath meets The Pink Fairies. Heavy , but trippy.). Once , I was going to work , and I saw some kids having a party at our community pool. I STOPPED BY TO SAY "HELLO". I could tell they were into Def Leppard , I did'nt hold that against him. We had a couple of neighborhood bands that sucked , but it was good to see teens getting excited about music , ANY music......When I got home , later , I played a tape of "Rocket To Russia" . My Mom thought maybe it was the pool party band , and asked me if I'd been listening to something in my room. I said , yeah , I was listening to The Ramones. My Mom said , wow ! For a minute , I thought that band out side had gotten a LOT better !!!!

NoiseMaker said:

Time to get it off my chest...

Hey Jude - The Beatles

ANYTHING by Journey...

ANYTHING by Def Leopard

• June 20, 2013 2:49 AM CDT
    • With Journey , I considered saying "Anything" , too. I over heard someone today saying how much they hate "Good Vibrations , a song I neither love nor hate , BUT , "SMILEY SMILE " , TEH ALBUM IT DEBUTED ON , is the Beach Boys album for people who don't care too much for The Beach Boys. Weirded out proto - Residents shit. "GOOD VIBRATIONS" is about the most normal sounding song on it , and that song was considered a total mindfuck when it came out !

Try The Troggs' version , if you can't bear the thought of owning the original , period.

• June 19, 2013 9:58 PM CDT
    • Time to get it off my chest...

Hey Jude - The Beatles

ANYTHING by Journey...

ANYTHING by Def Leopard

• June 20, 2013 8:29 PM CDT
    • Awesome guys, thanks for all of this info. I will need to spend some time huntin this stuff down. 

• June 20, 2013 4:30 PM CDT
    • Absolutely. I just assumed anyone who's this interested in One Man Bands knows all about Hasil Adkins . But , on a similar note , while we're talking about artists who did'nt start doing this 10 years ago , or less , Jack Starr is also a must.

kopper said:

Like Rob said, look for that double LP comp called "Attack of the One Man Bands" that came out in 2007. It's a fantastic sampling of lots of well-known OMBs as well as lots of obscurities.

Also, you can't start a thread like this without mentioning the Godfather of the One Man Band, Hasil Adkins. Seek out and buy anything you can get your hands on by the Haze. He's phenomenal.

Oh yeah, John Schooley is good, too (former guitarist of the Revelators and the Hard Feelings).

• June 20, 2013 8:01 AM CDT
    • Like Rob said, look for that double LP comp called "Attack of the One Man Bands" that came out in 2007. It's a fantastic sampling of lots of well-known OMBs as well as lots of obscurities.

Also, you can't start a thread like this without mentioning the Godfather of the One Man Band, Hasil Adkins. Seek out and buy anything you can get your hands on by the Haze. He's phenomenal.

Oh yeah, John Schooley is good, too (former guitarist of the Revelators and the Hard Feelings).

• June 20, 2013 4:45 AM CDT
    • in Europe too we do have lots of and very good!! 
      so don´t forget King Automatic, the Reverend Beat-Man or Urban Junior and a bunch more.. 
      actually if you start a search-members for "one man band" here in the GaragePunkHideout,  you´ll find, beside of fans, lots of interesting one man bands! Check this out!

• June 19, 2013 7:39 PM CDT
    • Bob Log III, Fuzz Solow, Reverend Deadeye, Haunted George, The Slow Poisoner...I remember a 2 cd comp out some yrs back called 'Attack of the One Man Bands' that might have a few good uns on it.

• June 19, 2013 5:32 PM CDT
    • Hmmmmm......Margaret Dollrod , King Louie , Bloodshot Bill , No Bunny , Homer Henderson , kind of obvious suggestions , I know....... But , you could play me , too , that's not so obvious. I've been doing this for almost 30 years....... Contact me at my page , please , if you're interested.   John.

• June 18, 2013 10:57 PM CDT
    • Whats up yall, I am a pirate radio dj on a station in northern California called Humboldt Free Radio Alliance. I do a 2 hour show every week and want to do an entire show of one man garage bands. Any one have any suggestions? I have a few already: bbq, King Lollipop and Dead Elvis. Any suggestions of who to check out would be great. 

• June 19, 2013 12:10 AM CDT
    • Jymn , There may be an element of truth to that , in that , yes , the other two were availabe in America , but , only as imports , of course. It does'nt make sense to say "Future" is available everywhere but North America (Though American music is generally appreciated to the extent that it should be , everywhere BUT America.) , if it's already turning up in stores , here.......ACE CD releases have'nt been a cake walk to find here in the states , but , as I mentioned , after a couple of false starts , I found "The Seeds" and "Future".

Jymn Parrett said:

I've read a few comments on the infamous Steve Hoffman forum, talking more about the music than the quality of the release. One review was from someone who bought it in LA. So it seems that it is released. What confuses me John, is that the Ace site said it is available everywhere but North America. Future is not my favourite Seeds record but it is still the Seeds, magic to me.

John Battles said:

Jymn , I'm pretty much certain it has'nt come out , yet. The first two were'nt released simultaneously , and they're probably giving the public some time , first , to get caught up with them. Of the total of TWO stores in Chicago I've seen "The Seeds" and/or "A Web of Sound"

(At one store , they told me they could not re-order the first , after carrying it ONCE. I GUESS OTHER PEOPLE ASKED FOR IT, because when the second came out , they suddenly carried both.....At the other store , I special - ordered the first one. They told me to come by in a week. Sure enough , there it was , but , out on the rack , not behind the counter.......).

I would ask Mike if he can ask Alec what the status is on that release. MIKE SHOULD KNOW , ANYWAY.....But , I sincerely doubt it's out , yet , or , if it is , it probably made it to the states only a week or two ago. I think , logically , as "Future" is not the best - loved Seeds album , they may be holding back until more people REALLY want a similar packaging on that album.

• June 18, 2013 10:07 PM CDT
    • I've read a few comments on the infamous Steve Hoffman forum, talking more about the music than the quality of the release. One review was from someone who bought it in LA. So it seems that it is released. What confuses me John, is that the Ace site said it is available everywhere but North America. Future is not my favourite Seeds record but it is still the Seeds, magic to me.

John Battles said:

Jymn , I'm pretty much certain it has'nt come out , yet. The first two were'nt released simultaneously , and they're probably giving the public some time , first , to get caught up with them. Of the total of TWO stores in Chicago I've seen "The Seeds" and/or "A Web of Sound"

(At one store , they told me they could not re-order the first , after carrying it ONCE. I GUESS OTHER PEOPLE ASKED FOR IT, because when the second came out , they suddenly carried both.....At the other store , I special - ordered the first one. They told me to come by in a week. Sure enough , there it was , but , out on the rack , not behind the counter.......).

I would ask Mike if he can ask Alec what the status is on that release. MIKE SHOULD KNOW , ANYWAY.....But , I sincerely doubt it's out , yet , or , if it is , it probably made it to the states only a week or two ago. I think , logically , as "Future" is not the best - loved Seeds album , they may be holding back until more people REALLY want a similar packaging on that album.

• June 18, 2013 9:57 PM CDT
    • Jymn , I'm pretty much certain it has'nt come out , yet. The first two were'nt released simultaneously , and they're probably giving the public some time , first , to get caught up with them. Of the total of TWO stores in Chicago I've seen "The Seeds" and/or "A Web of Sound"

• June 18, 2013 9:55 PM CDT
    • Oops, my apology. Duplicate post.

• June 18, 2013 9:46 PM CDT
    • Sorry , that last paragraph , I was talking about another album , entirely , "Juke Box Music" ,which came out , I think , in 1989."Money Over Love" , I first heard The Sir Douglas Quintet play it live in the Summer of '89 ( I think.) , and  thought , THAT'S a hit (Tho' it was hardly my favorite selection of the evening.), and Doug Sahm later released it on his own. He did'nt have the money to bribe DJs , and I heard his offers of Shiner Bock and Big Red Soda were met with laughter.

John Battles said:

SIR DOUGLAS QUINTET "DAYDREAMING AT MIDNIGHT" - There are good SONGS on here , but Doug's Sons and their love for G'N'R permeated the affair ( Shawn Sahm , mind you , is doing an ace job with the reformed Texas Tornados , And Shandon Sahm, well , he joined The Meat Puppets about 15 years after I stoped caring , BUT , I CAN ACCEPT THAT MORE READILY THAN THE MYTH THAT THERE'S ANY G'N'R IN SDQ) ......DOUG CLIFFORD REPLACED THE MIGHTY , MIGHTY MIKE BUCK ON DRUMS , AND I KNOW , I'M WHITE , I REMEMBER NIXON , I SHOULD BE IMPERVIOUS TO HAVING CCR SHOVED DOWN MY THROAT 40+ YEARS. I LIKE SOME OF THEIR SONGS , OK , I GUESS , BUT , I WAS NEVER CRAZY ABOUT HIS DRUMMING.......The BIG problem was how overproduced the album was.You can tell many of these songs would be gems if they sounded RAW (Which G'n'R and friends pretended to be.).......I kept my copy for their version of The Elevators' "You Don't Know(How Young You Are)" , though it , too , could have been stripped down , considerably.

BTW: Doug Sahm rebounded rather quickly with "The Last Real Texas Blues Band , Live at Antones'.".

On the other hand , Doug's otherwise uncommercial ( Swamp Pop -styled songs , all good.), but the ONE radio - friendly song . "Money Over Love" had HIT WRITTEN ALL OVER IT.  Did'nt happen , though.