Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• June 23, 2013 5:38 AM CDT
    • Yay -- I've been waiting for this -- the Green Circles' new track. Rather poppy, but it's fun. And for once, it's nice as an Aussie to hear songs about where I live. :D This is a post as an add-on to my much earlier post about the band from Adelaide. Melissa

• June 23, 2013 3:38 AM CDT
    • Maybe this is blasphemy but I'd put Loco Live above It's Alive. It's just that their later work sounds much better live, and if I want to hear their early stuff I'd rather put on one of their first five studio albums. Rock and Roll Holiday by the Oblivians is a really fun, wild record. The last half of Pagans' Shit Street! Stiff Little Fingers - Hanx. But the most insane one has to be Live In-Competence by the Zip Code Rapists (with Gregg Turkington from Neil Hamburger fame). Here you can see them doing a Black Flag cover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UAWfEzo2g0.

• June 22, 2013 3:00 PM CDT
    • Coincidentaly (Though I know there's another thread for it.) , Link Wray reportedly pulled a knife on John Cale at the 9:30 club in Washington, DC , around this time.....

Once , in Dallas , a fan showed up , backstage , at a John Cale show , with maybe 20 LPs , asking if Cale was around. A Roadie told him , Cale is'nt very sociable , but , if you leave your LPs and your Sharpee here , and  come back in about 20 minutes , I'll ask him to sign them for you.   What happened next is a valuable lesson.  The guy came back , and all his albums were signed (By the Roadie and a friend.) "HAVE A NICE PENIS , JOHN CALE". Later , I heard one of the records turned up at a used record store  with an $80 price tag.  IF this guy decieved the store owner , good on him .He was a prick.

BACK ON TRACK - I saw Link , once , it must have been 2002 or early 2003 , because he was talking about 9/11 , as it was somewhat recent , saying he wished he could have been here in the states with us when it happened. I told him , he WAS here with us. He said , "Yeah , in spirit , I was. BUT , WHAT WE NEED TO DO.....IS ROUND UP SOME OF MY SHAWNEE BROTHERS ....AND CUT THE TALIBAN'S MOTHERFUCKIN' HEADS OFF !!!!!". Then , HE STARTED TO sing "Ice People" from the "Link Wray" album on Polydor , which is a very quiet song , but has some very good lyrics about social and racial injustices. BUT , he could'nt do it...He'd get as far as the first verse , then go off ! - "CUT THE MOTHERFUCKIN' TALIBAN'S HEADS OFF AND BURY 'EM UNDER A TREE !!!!!'' . It's not a live album , but, it should have been.

• June 22, 2013 2:33 AM CDT
    • For some mad, deranged 70s avant-rock, John Cale's Sabotage/Live is well worth checking out. Cale was alcoholic and totally fried mentally at this point in his career and it all spills over in the intensity of his performance.

• June 22, 2013 2:30 AM CDT
    • Link is my ALL-TIME HERO!  The man started it all; well Link and Bo both did in their own unique ways.  Live in '85 was the 2nd Link album I got my grubby mitts on, right after I scored a copy of Early Recordings. I was very, very fortunate to see him live in Glasgow (Scotland) around '96/'97. Loudest gig I've ever been to (with the exception of MBV), wild feedback, Link playing loose and ferocious...total chaos! Link was grinning like the happiest kid in the playground throughout the entire gig. Check out Jimmy McDonough's brilliant article on Link; Jimmy wrote the definitive Neil Young bio and was friends with Lux and Ivy; he knows his onions!
      http://www.furious.com/perfect/linkwray.html

John Battles said:

Well said , The wolf in his natural habitat. Many's the time I wished I could see Link Wray "Like all those people in Europe". Then , he started touring the states , extensively, in 1997. There were nights when , sure , his axe might go out of tune , and he'd just let it bleed. People would complain because it was'nt BORING and slick like Danny Gatton.
       I guess Rock'n'Roll really is'nt for everybody. PEOPLE WOULD COMPLAIN  BECAUSE HE'D USE A MARSHALL STACK. 'THE MAN COULD'NT HEAR FOR SHIT ! I met Dick Biondi , a CHICAGO DJ WHO DATES BACK TO THE 50'S AND 60'S. hE TOLD ME HE WENT TO SEE LINK IN THE LATE 50'S , AND HE HAD HIS AMP CRANKED AT FULL VOLUME (FOR BACK THEN). , BECAUSE HE'D ALREADY DESTROYED HIS HEARING !!!!1

Cheers for the pointers, I feel Wray's live albums are his natural habitat so I'll have to check those out.

• June 21, 2013 9:53 PM CDT

• Well said , The wolf in his natural habitat. Many's the time I wished I could see Link Wray "Like all those people in Europe". Then , he started touring the states , extensively, in 1997. There were nights when , sure , his axe might go out of tune , and he'd just let it bleed. People would complain because it was'nt BORING and slick like Danny Gatton.
       I guess Rock'n'Roll really is'nt for everybody. PEOPLE WOULD COMPLAIN  BECAUSE HE'D USE A MARSHALL STACK. 'THE MAN COULD'NT HEAR FOR SHIT ! I met Dick Biondi , a CHICAGO DJ WHO DATES BACK TO THE 50'S AND 60'S. hE TOLD ME HE WENT TO SEE LINK IN THE LATE 50'S , AND HE HAD HIS AMP CRANKED AT FULL VOLUME (FOR BACK THEN). , BECAUSE HE'D ALREADY DESTROYED HIS HEARING !!!!1

Cheers for the pointers, I feel Wray's live albums are his natural habitat so I'll have to check those out.

• June 21, 2013 8:58 PM CDT
    • Cheers for the pointers, I feel Wray's live albums are his natural habitat so I'll have to check those out.

• June 21, 2013 4:38 PM CDT
    •  I like that one , but "Live in '85"   and the later "Rumble Man" CD/DVD  have something IT DOES'NT HAVE.....the non - participation of Richard Gotterher and Anton Fig. Can't stand that man's drumming....i saw him with Booker T. and The MGs, once. Enough to put you off your food.  The other two live albums are LOUD and Raw , with no Richard Gotterher to dumb down the sound (Which he's done time and again , especially on The Fleshtones' Live 85 LP.). But , don't get me wrong , the Paradisio set is good , there's some (Then) neworiginals that he never did in the studio (That I know of.) that are real good- "Walk Away From Love" , "SHE'S NO GOOD", "SUBWAY BLUES " (Despite the atypical , near - Jazz guitar solo and scatting.), and others that I forget.

• June 21, 2013 12:27 AM CDT
    • i LISTENED TO A COUPLE OF TRACKS ON YOU TUBE......HE WAS GREAT AT NAME - DROPPING.

"He Saw Screamin' Jay Hawkins and he jumped back in the alley !"

"I had to call Screamin' Jay Hawkins to the rescue!" AND " I saw Screamin' Jay Hawkins with Long Tall Sally in a coffin , she don't love me but she do it very often." YOW !

THIS SHIT ROCKS ! He was'nt the balls in a vice grip screamer Little Richard , Screamin' Jay Hawkins and James Brown were , BUT HE GETS THE HELL ON DOWN , ON THESE  TRACKS. Raw rock'n'roll!!!

Of course , later , Williams became a coke dealer , and threatened to kill Little Richard for failing to pay for some cocaine he bought from Williams . He said he fell asleep and forgot about it.     Better yet , he became a PIMP , and what's the difference between a Pimp and a piece of shit?     You can't think of anything , either, can you ? BUT , HE HIT ROCK BOTTOM BY MAKING "That Larry Williams " a DISCO record , only worth owning for the great photos of Larry and his esteemed peers.

• June 22, 2013 4:15 PM CDT
    • I think it was being into The Ramones and a lot of surf, early rock'n'roll and psychedelia. It was a natural progression from there, methinks. Really, it was a mutual friend of my dad & I telling me about the old garage and I was eager to hear his tales. When I heard about Psychotic Reaction by The Count Five, I started seeking it and I was hooked when I got a copy for my birthday in 2003.

• June 22, 2013 3:35 PM CDT
    • not songs...Bands : U2 and scorpions!!!!

• June 21, 2013 6:14 PM CDT
    • I like the Madchester version of stoner - House of Love especially. Early Brian Jonestown I love. Best stoner album of all time of course if Holy Modal Rounders' Indian War Whoop. Sky Divers still a favourite song of all time. And Sabbath  of course.

• June 21, 2013 6:14 PM CDT
    • No , you were'nt mistaken. I knew what you meant , a "Live in the studio" sound , but not a live show....I would have to check my copy to see where it was recorded. It sounds like THEE Seeds , largely the same set as the fake Live album ,but , including Tripmaker and others ...It had one unreleased song. It must be the same thing , but , I don't have it handy. Whoever taped it , God love 'em , you can hear the tape recorder clicking on and off between songs , if that's familiar to you......It was rumored to be the show where Neil Young appeared onstage , unannounced , and played on "Pushin' Too Hard", which is a rumor in itself , that it even happened. PS - I saw "The Source Family " film . Sky is mentioned for about 45 seconds. I did'nt embarrass the Director by asking her why. I mean , Sky Saxon , and the Ya Ho Wa 13 albums (None of the ones he appeared on have been re - released , except on the Captain Trips CD set from Japan....), are the primary reason most people know about The Source Family , today.....

Jymn Parrett said:

My bad. I meant a live in the studio sound. Much of the second CD sounds this way. The band going through the song on early takes. Nothing actually live on stage, though.

The upcoming live will have the audience removed from the Raw album. Another rehearsal from the earlier days will be included to the best of my knowledge. The only live boot I know is the Melodyland show without Jan or Rick. What is the one you speak of? I believe the live version of "ATS" was from the Joey Bishop show. And that is incredible.

John Battles said:

Interesting...... There WAS a live version of "A Thousand Shadows" that turned up on the "Fresh Fruit FROM OLD SEEDS", WHATEVER IT WAS CALLED , BOOT.I don't have it. Sounds like it could have beena whole different album.  I also heard about a repackaging of "Raw and Alive" , hopefully a better mix , with the fake audience sounds turned down , if not off.And I read about another live show added to the package , probably the great (if recorded on a handheld mike) bootleg that's made the rounds from the same time period....OR MAYBE....An actual soundboard recording???!!!!! I dunno. No one tells me these things.......

Guess what? Future arrived just now. Played side one and all my thoughts remain the same. There's some good stuff, especially the mono versions, and some over-the-top stuff. I doubt I will listen to much of this. The one delight is the 1:03 version of "The Navy Swings" that is so out there but in a good way.

Side two is a delight from beginning to end. A version of "A Thousand Shadows" titled "Rides Too Long" sounds live. Listen to Jan ripping it at the beginning. Sky is rocking his high boots off. It's almost like "Pushin Too Hard" done as if they're playing for their very lives. Take one of "Flower Lady" is less intense but the guitar adds much. Again, Rick Andridge is terrific, given the proper miking as in "Full Spoon."  Take one of "Now a Man" here called "Contact High" is also better than the finished product. It goes on like this. Liver, earlier, better versions with Sky giving far better performances than the published album.

And wait until you hear Jan's fuzzed out take one of "Satisfy You." The band is cooking raw and sounding alive. Holy shit! THIS is The Seeds.

Well worth getting this for the second CD itself. I'm loving it. Then there's the copious notes. I haven't read them all but there's a sense of impending doom screaming from the pages. Don't read them while listening to the album. You'll be instantly depressed. 

• June 21, 2013 5:05 PM CDT
    • My bad. I meant a live in the studio sound. Much of the second CD sounds this way. The band going through the song on early takes. Nothing actually live on stage, though.

The upcoming live will have the audience removed from the Raw album. Another rehearsal from the earlier days will be included to the best of my knowledge. The only live boot I know is the Melodyland show without Jan or Rick. What is the one you speak of? I believe the live version of "ATS" was from the Joey Bishop show. And that is incredible.

John Battles said:

Interesting...... There WAS a live version of "A Thousand Shadows" that turned up on the "Fresh Fruit FROM OLD SEEDS", WHATEVER IT WAS CALLED , BOOT.I don't have it. Sounds like it could have beena whole different album.  I also heard about a repackaging of "Raw and Alive" , hopefully a better mix , with the fake audience sounds turned down , if not off.And I read about another live show added to the package , probably the great (if recorded on a handheld mike) bootleg that's made the rounds from the same time period....OR MAYBE....An actual soundboard recording???!!!!! I dunno. No one tells me these things.......

Guess what? Future arrived just now. Played side one and all my thoughts remain the same. There's some good stuff, especially the mono versions, and some over-the-top stuff. I doubt I will listen to much of this. The one delight is the 1:03 version of "The Navy Swings" that is so out there but in a good way.

Side two is a delight from beginning to end. A version of "A Thousand Shadows" titled "Rides Too Long" sounds live. Listen to Jan ripping it at the beginning. Sky is rocking his high boots off. It's almost like "Pushin Too Hard" done as if they're playing for their very lives. Take one of "Flower Lady" is less intense but the guitar adds much. Again, Rick Andridge is terrific, given the proper miking as in "Full Spoon."  Take one of "Now a Man" here called "Contact High" is also better than the finished product. It goes on like this. Liver, earlier, better versions with Sky giving far better performances than the published album.

And wait until you hear Jan's fuzzed out take one of "Satisfy You." The band is cooking raw and sounding alive. Holy shit! THIS is The Seeds.

Well worth getting this for the second CD itself. I'm loving it. Then there's the copious notes. I haven't read them all but there's a sense of impending doom screaming from the pages. Don't read them while listening to the album. You'll be instantly depressed. 

• June 21, 2013 4:26 PM CDT
    • Interesting...... There WAS a live version of "A Thousand Shadows" that turned up on the "Fresh Fruit FROM OLD SEEDS", WHATEVER IT WAS CALLED , BOOT.I don't have it. Sounds like it could have beena whole different album.  I also heard about a repackaging of "Raw and Alive" , hopefully a better mix , with the fake audience sounds turned down , if not off.And I read about another live show added to the package , probably the great (if recorded on a handheld mike) bootleg that's made the rounds from the same time period....OR MAYBE....An actual soundboard recording???!!!!! I dunno. No one tells me these things.......

• June 21, 2013 2:31 PM CDT
    • Guess what? Future arrived just now. Played side one and all my thoughts remain the same. There's some good stuff, especially the mono versions, and some over-the-top stuff. I doubt I will listen to much of this. The one delight is the 1:03 version of "The Navy Swings" that is so out there but in a good way.

• June 21, 2013 5:30 PM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist June 20/2013

What we've got here is an all local (London Ontario and surrounding communities) show which spans about 35 years of coolness! And we had over a dozen requests, a record, and all were filled on this show. From people just requesting bands to people requesting specific songs by certain bands at a specific live show! We did it all this week!!

And, still riding on a high from the show the prior eve with Tav Falco and Panther Burns at This Ain't Hollywood in Hamilton Ontario!!

1. NFG.....Johnny B. Goode...recorded live at The Cedar Lounge in 1980 and aired by CHRW back then.

2. NFG...Roadrunner...as above as Johnny B Goode segues into Roadrunner.

3. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants...Please Don't Touch...recorded live at Call The Office 7/27/12

Fergus Tranzmitor joins Johnny Terrien on stage at Black Shire Pub, Nov 14/2008

4. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants...Back To The Beach....2009 demo.

5. Gatgas...Love Song....recent demo.

6. Flying Squad...Brian Mulroney....early 90's demo with Kerry Piper on vocals.

Flying Squad at Call The Office, early 90's

7. Hurricane and Able...Eleven On The Dial...brand new download and part of the inspiration for this show.

8. Hurricane and Able...I Think It's Alright...as above.

9. Fine Print...Get You Alone....from a limited edition cassette on the What Wave label 2011.

The Fine  Print at Grooves Records, 4/16/11, Record Store Day.

10. Dragsville...Royal Drag...live recording at Brennan's 11/3/12. This was Dragsville's very first live show!

11. The Zellots...Pulse...recorded at the Graphic Underground Show at Call The Office 10/27/12.

The Zellots, Call The Office 10/27/12

12. Second Thoughts...Would Up...from their only 7" 1980.

13. Carnies...Goodbye...from the Lesser Demons CD.

14. THE...Grilled Cheese...from their demo and they play tonite at Call The Office and tomorrow at Black Shire Pub.

15. Nothing Helper...Everything Is String...from the Eat It Up CD. These guys are based in Brantford (about an hour from London) and have a London bred singer.

16. The Mongrels...Do It...from a recent Radio WW Session.

17. Radio 4...New Shoes...early 80's demo, this band evolved into....

18. Sheep Look Up....Jumper...from their self released cassette from 1984.

19. Don't Touch The Dancers....Your Girlfriend's A Slut...from North Of The Border, a compilation released by Chris Forest, who co-hosts the friday 8PM show on CHRW, Just Another Punk Show.

20. 120 and the Fighting 68's...1 More Beer...from their self titled CD.

21. Frankenstein 5...It's A Cryin' Shame...recorded live at The Embassy Hotel, 5/8/94 when the 5 opened up for Nardwuar and The Evaporators.

Frankenstein 5 at Call The Office, early 90's.

22. The Hippies...Canteens....from Slippery's Club Hits, the cassette that comes with WW 24, available locally at cool record stores, LA Mood and Phantastica.

23. UIC...Stations Fading...from the Live Like 90 record on OG Records that came out in 1989.

UIC after a sweaty show!

24.. UIC...Our Garage...recorded live at Fou Fonnes Electrique in Montreal, UIC's first visit to Montreal and they were probably opening for The Gruesomes who gave me this cassette.

25. UIC...Sick Of You....recorded live at Call The Office 8/5/89. UIC rarely played this song live.

Thanx for all the requests, phone-ins, emails, facebook messages and HEY's at the shows!! We're going to do another show of all local bands...had a few requests so far, something about a bunny deceased??? Or something like that. Personally i kinda like rabbits, especially the ones that live in our backyard.

All photos from the What Wave archives...please don't reproduce without asking.

And here's a link to the podcast:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave#prev-shows

• June 21, 2013 1:54 PM CDT

• When Black Flag was happening , I WAS IN THAT ITSY BITSY TEENIE WEENIE MINORITY THAT DID'NT LIKE "DAMAGED" (I'VE NEVER HEARD OF "LOUIE LOUIE"only being available on import  copies. Seems it was on every copy Ii ever heard....Maybe it was pulled late r, for publishing reasons ?). Could'nt get with Henry , I just don't have that much testosterone. I liked "Everything Went Black" (But did'nt feel a need to buy it.) "Jealous Again " (Which I did buy , for a dollar.) , and "TV Party " (Both Versions.), but , overall , I did'nt get it. I had'nt started liking 70's Hard Rock again , with few exceptions , and The Flag were turning into The Sabs......Yes ,I like The Sabs , now , but later Flag and the Speed Metal craze (Even tho' I liked some of those bands in the 80's. I still liked the HC era intensity , but , it was good to hear it done by bands that could actually play. Some could even SING. ), it seemed a matter of eating your cake and having it , too.    i SAW ROLLINS ON HIS FIRST "SPOKEN WORD" TOUR(BACK WHEN THEY CALLED IT "POETRY"). Some of his readings I liked , some I found really unnecessary......But , I met him at a 7-11 (Did'nt everyone?) . Atfirst , he gave me that dagger - stare. Then , when he realized I knew who he was , he was considerably cooler. Maybe also because I did'nt bust his balls about the 12 Pack he was toting , and I don't mean his stomach......IN LATER YEARS , HE COPPED TO DRINKING AND DOING DRUGS IN THE PAST (NOT COPPING IS A COP OUT.).....

Rollins , to me , is like Robert Plant . Great taste in music , but , I hear NONE of those influences in their own music , and I have no need to buy records by either , and even THAT is nothing personal.
       Mike said:

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      A friend of mine had Damaged on a lable called Roadracer and it tacked on Louie Louie on the end but I thought a different singer was on that.

I don't have that import version of Damaged, but I'd assume that'd be the version from the Louie Louie 7" that Dez Cadena sang on. He was my fave Flag singer, perhaps as he was the first one I had seen them with. Others have told me they prefer Keith Morris and Ron Reyes over Dez. Rollins was not a bad fit with the band the first year or so. I saw their first LA area gig with him after they came back from the tour in which they picked him up. I speculate that he had a desire to prove himself to the home town crowd. But once he became established in Flag it seemed to become the Henry Rollins Show as opposed to a Black Flag show. They kind of evolved into a "jam" band of sorts from that point to the end and lost that manic energy that had attracted such a rabid following.

So I would say everything up to and including Damaged as well as the "Everything Went Black" double LP of demos is what I'd consider essential Black Flag material.

• June 21, 2013 1:37 PM CDT
    • Well , they were friends with Motorhead , and gigged together. The "Please Don't Touch" single featured members of both bands doing the title track , "Bomber" and "Emergency" by Girlschool.

Giannis KRI said:

Yes i think i heard them covering emergency too.Probably they liked motorhead.But who doesn't?Maybe me,but joey ramone does.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      I do like one thing by them when they teamed with Motorhead to do this Johnny Kidd and the Pirates cover, but this could have easily been done by the Pandoras, Brood, or Runaways as well.

• June 21, 2013 12:00 AM CDT
    • Sopers , a brand of Quaalude referenced in "Weekend" by The Dictators , it turns out , did'nt exist. Creem magazine would joke about them all the time , as if  they were real. Not that I ever did any of that shit (Yes , I'm old enough to remember when Dealers and Pharmacies well well - sorted for Ludes , but , better known , real , brands like Rorer.).

I thought he was just saying "Just give me a soda for the weekend". Works for me.