Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• May 5, 2013 11:52 AM CDT
    • Those guys are hilarious. But , they just call 'em like they see 'em. They're cool people.   They've been accused of things they're not , but , have'nt we all ?  I FEEL MUCH THE SAME WAY , if you don't drink or smoke or do drugs or rub strawberry jam into your belly , or whatever , that's your choice. If you do or don't eat meat , same thing. You don't have to call yourself anything or join a herd as a security measure. Antiseen was recently on chic-a-go go . You can see their appearance on you tube(chic-a-gogo's page). The last time they actuallly did a show in Chicago , though , was 15 to 18 Years ago. In fact , David Allen Coe played the same night , and I was able to go to both shows. A fist full of political incorrectness !
      Chris Henniker said:

I longer drink, but I don't consider myself straight edge (even though I don't smoke or do dope, either). Truth be told, It's purely an effective way to keep my weight down because I don't get the sugar cravings you get on the booze. I'm not a veggie or vegan and I love fish, seafood, game and eating the cutesy animals. If you want politically incorrect, look up Antiseen.

• May 5, 2013 6:27 AM CDT
    • I longer drink, but I don't consider myself straight edge (even though I don't smoke or do dope, either). Truth be told, It's purely an effective way to keep my weight down because I don't get the sugar cravings you get on the booze. I'm not a veggie or vegan and I love fish, seafood, game and eating the cutesy animals. If you want politically incorrect, look up Antiseen.

• May 5, 2013 1:24 AM CDT
    • I briefly aligned myself with the Straight Edge thing , when I saw friends kicking drugs and alcohol. But , I was'nt doing drugs or alcohol , anyway . It was a personal choice I'd long since arrived at , not a case of me joining a movement. When most of the people who were calling themselves "Straight Edge" soon got back on the dope and/or booze , it all seemed like a farce. But , later , I heard about the extremists , bombing McDonalds (As if they serve meat.) or beating up cigarette smokers. LAME !! Sometimes , Vegans adhere to their principles , without telling others what they should do. I respect them more for it . As for pro - drug/anti meat types , I don't tell them what to do. I would suggest they shower , but , otherwise..... May I bore you with a story ? Sure I can.           

I went to see a Thin Lizzy tribute band at a local club. Turned out , they cancelled , with a Country band playing in their place. Under the circumstances , the doorman offered to let me go in for a few minutes and decide if I wanted to stay . The Country band was good , I just was'nt in the mood. I looked around , and all these people were attempting to Yobbo dance (All our friends from The UK , including you , Chris , I trust , know what that is.). I did'nt stay long. I had to wonder why all these WXRT (Boring Chicago radio station that appeals to psuedo - intellectuals , fake hippies and "Adult Rockers". ) fans were doing this British Biker standby , and who taught them how?

Turns out , the whole evening was a semi - secret reception for one Chrissie Hynde , who was in town protesting the former Rock'n'Roll McDonalds. Again , they serve GRISTLE. HOW MUCH OF THAT ARMPIT STANK ACTUALLY CAME FROM A COW? White Castles have more beef. But , yeah , it's her right , I guess , to complain about a bunch of minimum wage slaves busting their humps while she had maybe one good album and another that was spotty , and built a lucrative career on that , wrecking Ray Davies' marriage along the way.

OK , RAY HAD A HAND IN THAT , TOO , but , I heard , from a friend who worked at the club , that she insisted on a Vegan pizza (Which could have been ordered from an actual Vegan restaurant and delivered to said club.) , and gave them specific instructions , having a hissy fit when she learned all their ovens had cooked meat pizzas in the past , shouting at the largely Mexican staff , who did'nt know or care who she was . Seig Hynde !

Chris Henniker said:

Funny, as I see the two things having some things in common (specifically the Hardline variety advocated by Vegan Reich, but not what Ian McKaye was a believer in). Both Hardline & Neo-Nazism are dogmatic and controlling, homophobic, authoritarian, intolerant and unable to see other points of view as valid.    

Johnny Lurg said:

It will take me a lot more convincing that this song is a joke, but the band One Life Crew itself is very laughable with their idiotic combination of Neo-Nazism and straight edge/vegan lifestyle:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/u_I2FIw7YEs

• May 4, 2013 5:54 PM CDT
    • Funny, as I see the two things having some things in common (specifically the Hardline variety advocated by Vegan Reich, but not what Ian McKaye was a believer in). Both Hardline & Neo-Nazism are dogmatic and controlling, homophobic, authoritarian, intolerant and unable to see other points of view as valid.    

Johnny Lurg said:

It will take me a lot more convincing that this song is a joke, but the band One Life Crew itself is very laughable with their idiotic combination of Neo-Nazism and straight edge/vegan lifestyle:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/u_I2FIw7YEs

• May 4, 2013 5:40 PM CDT
    • That's right. But , "E.Y.O.B." and The Nip Drivers' uber - silly version of "Rio" (Yes , a case of the cover being better than the original.) were the only songs I really liked , so I traded my copy in.

Johnny Lurg said:

"Dachau Cabana" and "EYOB" were actually released on the same compilation, When Men Were Men And Sheep Were Scared.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-When-Men-Were-Men-And-Sheep-Were-Sca...

• May 5, 2013 1:56 AM CDT
    • I met Eugene and Faye when they DESTROYED in what I firmly believe was their first Chicago appearance , ever (The singer in the opening band insisted they played at the legendary Tuts' to about 15 people , ca. 1978. I was'nt buying it.) , and they could'nt have been more pleasant. "Et was sooch a LARVELY crowd !" - Faye.

Tersicore said:

Good cover indeed!
      The drums is so straight! remind me a german battle tank, a Panzer, somehow!;) 

Andy Climax said:

Better than the original? More punk definitely. Best of all.... She's Scottish, haha. Amazing stuff

• May 5, 2013 1:51 AM CDT
    • MY FAVORITE VERSION OF THE OFT - COVERED BILL HALEY SONG, SKINNY MINNIE , IS BY THE SONICS. THEY SOUND, AS USUAL , LIKE THEY WERE OUT FOR BLOOD. SAM BUTERA DID A COOL VERSION , TOO.

I believe "SOAPY" was a Lyres original , but Fortune and Maltese bettered it as "Ken Bergland - Action Man" with new lyrics , and I topped neither of them , but , did it all the same , as "Doug Freedman - King of Men". Doug's in the Hideout. You should be honored to be his friend.

The Renegades , Fuzztones , and T.Tex Edwards all did cool versions of "13 Women".

I heard ecstatic field reports about The Hate Bomb's shows , but , I never saw them.

• May 4, 2013 9:16 PM CDT
    • For Covers better than the originals, usually when the Hatebombs covered something it was better than the original...  

Soapy (the Lyres originally I think)

My brother the Man (We The People)

You Burn Me Up and Down (also We The People)

I've Been Thinkin' (Paul Bearer and the Hearsemen)

Stop It Baby (The Heard)

This list could go on and on...  unfortunately mostly you had to see them live as the few recordings they have don't really measure up to them live.

Of course anything the Mummies covered became theirs...  like Skinny Minny, it blows the Billy Hailey originally away...  although Gerry and the Pacemakers did a pretty cool version ....  really I just like to see this to see that awesome Croc Trixon Telstar that the drummer is playing..

http://youtu.be/J3Mihpptg3Y

But I think my favorite cover is the Renegades cover of 13 Women

http://youtu.be/wYsRpPImDS0

(original from Bill Haley http://youtu.be/HP7lIjlJ2I4)

• May 4, 2013 12:22 PM CDT
    • I like the Weirdos' original because of the more raw, less compressed production and INCREDIBLE ear-bending, stringbending out-of-tune guitarness, but they are both great. Love the cheesey organ in F.F.L's version. Thanks for posting both!

Dead Boy said:

The Weirdos' original "Life Of Crime" is killer!  But Flesh For Lulu's version is a little better than the original.

• May 4, 2013 11:27 AM CDT
    • The Weirdos' original "Life Of Crime" is killer!  But Flesh For Lulu's version is a little better than the original.

• May 5, 2013 1:36 AM CDT
    • The Golden Earrings were a very versatile group , the kind of Pop music that does'nt make my colon clench. They ruled the Dutch scene for years , even if Outsiders , Q65 , etc. were more hard rockin'. I even like "Radar Love" era EARRING and some later stuff , still. To my knowledge , they're still going at it

• May 4, 2013 6:10 PM CDT
    • I can't beat that story , and , I doubt many of you could either , but , I first saw James Brown in 1991 at Soldiers' Field in Chicago. On his own , James Brown could not have filled such a venue , even with the added spectacle of his then - current tour being a "Homecoming" celebration after his release from jail. BUT , the ads promised Aretha Franklin , Little Richard , Johnny Taylor , Al Green , The Winans , and more. What we GOT was Artie "Blues Boy" White (Doing , as Dan Epstein recalls , teh same set , twice. He might as well have , it was so dull.), The Chi - Lites , and Gene McDaniel doing three songs , Karaoke style , to a recorded backing (And , he was still the best of the three.), not to mention , Al Sharpeton , trying to save the dwindling momentum after a long day of interruptions and no big name talent ( Even the Black attendees were booing him at this point.) by saying "I may be a Preacher , by , tonight , WE'RE GONNA ROCK". But , rock we did , when James Brown hit teh stage . DID HE HIT IT AND QUIT IT ? YEAH !!! His bvoice and his moves , of course , were not what tehy used to be , but , he was STILL The 'mazin' Mr. Please , Please , Please. It was worth all the bullshit.

A few years , later , my friend , Pat , told me of a bizarre promotional stunt. Marshall Fields (I think) was doing a tie - in campaign. If you bought a large bottle of this $60 cologne , you got two tickets to see James Brown get down at The Arie Crown , A CONSIDERABLY SMALLER VENUE. We agreed to each put in our $30 (Which was the going rate for James Brown tickets , then , anyway.) , and buy the damn cologne ( Which was'nt bad. I used to wear cologne , sometimes , but , I'm all better, now.). The only catch was , you would'nt know where your seats were until you got there. We ended up getting  great seats , about 14 rows back , dead center. Not only was James Browns' show better than the previous in almost every way , but , there were some surprises. JB played the organ a bit (He seldom did , at that point.) , and he did a great Jumpin' Jive number , even dancing like Cab Calloway. They also had an amazing psychedelic light show. They'd throw a light on Brown , and multicolored shapes would bounce back off him into the crowd.It was so cool to see The Godfather in more intimate surroundings than The Chicago Bears' crunching grounds.

So , no , I did'nt see James in his prime , but , I saw him , and I'm none the worse for it. Happy Birthday , Soul Brother #1.

• May 3, 2013 2:42 PM CDT
    • Happy Birthday to your Soul Mr. Brown!

He surely had more than one nut loose! I could convince myself of this once in the very early 80s after a concert in Italy, he and his band, invited me and a couple of friends (we were just teens) to go with them to have a Pool-party at their hotel. I have to say we all  (not much people, maybe 15 or 20) had lots of fun, drunk and smoke a lot, swum and some almost drowned, danced and laughed all through the night... Well, actually until the police came in the morning to close the party...  The funniest part came than as they really hard tried to convince us to follow them and split in the rooms... we all disappeared pretty quick! ;D  Tcha, sorry James & co, maybe next time, in another life!  
      But Thanx, was lots of fun! :)

• May 4, 2013 5:47 PM CDT
    • The Polkaholics' "Wally" album tells the real - life story of Chicago (And world.) Polka King , Lil' Wally, divided into several parts , depicting events in his life and career , with the careful scrutiny of "Tommy" and the careless abandon of the muddiest mix of "L.A.M.F." you've ever heard on a Radio Shack cassette. One speculatory tome , "If Wally met Johnny Thunders ", brings that point home.

• May 4, 2013 3:38 PM CDT
    • Two punk albums come to mind immediately, although they are only loose concept albums:

• The Makers - Rock Star God (2000)
      • Sham 69 - That's Life (1978)

Both are hit-n-miss affairs, in my opinion, and a little dull in comparison to their earlier work. 

• May 4, 2013 9:20 AM CDT
    • 'David Comes To Life' certainly is one of the most recent.

Alex said:

"David Comes to Life" and it's companion album "David's Town" both by Fucked Up.

• May 3, 2013 2:42 PM CDT
    • Yea, I was second guessing myself on the album title too for some reason, but that is the only 70's/80's punk concept album that comes to mind, but there must be another one out there I'm not thinking of.

• May 4, 2013 4:32 PM CDT
    • How did he die , actually? Seriously , I have'nt heard. I did hear he was once bitten by a rare venomous spider that made his hand blow up far more than it's normal size. My friend called it "The ultimate Heavy Metal injury". There are certainly many contenders for that title , but , I heard nothing about his death being related to the spider bite.   Slayer , I was never a fan. I liked a few of their songs in the 80's when I was briefly listening to some of the then - new Speed Metal bands , but , that does'nt mean I don't feel for his fans , friends and family.

• May 4, 2013 3:07 PM CDT
    • Playlist 05/04/13

F.U.'s  Young, Fast Iranians 
      Hellacopters  Gimme Shelter 
      Briefs  Orange Alert 
      UV Rays  Slip Inside This Brain 
      Teengenerate  Right Side of My Mind 
      Adrenalin OD  Suburbia 
      Anti  I Try 
      Bad Brains  Pay to Cum 
      Rhino 39  J. Alfred 
      Nina Hagen  TV Glotzer 
      Soft Boys  He's A Reptile 
      Sham 69  Hersham Boys 
      Wreckless Eric  Take The Cash (K.A.S.H.) 
      Iggy and the Stooges  Burn 
      Deniz Tek  Twilight of the Modern Age 
      Dirty Fences  All I Want 
      Bazooka  Penny 
      Damned  Love Song 
      New York Dolls  Jet Boy 
      Devil Dogs  Time Enough For Love 
      Blue Hearts  Be Nice 
      Thermals  You Will Find Me 
      Traditional Fools  Allright 
      Black Angels  Evil Things 
      Midnight Spin  Neuroin 
      Wire  Stealth of a Stork 
      Thee Oh Sees  Tunnel Time 
      Ty Segall & Mikal Cronin  Take Up Thy Stethescope and Walk 
      Wobbly Lamps  Gretchen Fetchin' 
      Mysteios  Va Va Va Va Va Va Voodoo Bay-Bee 
      Smithereens  A Girl Like You 
      Baby Woodrose  Light Up Your Mind 
      Fleshtones  Girl From Baltimore 
      Swingin' Utters  Temporary Contemporary 
      Skating Polly  In My Head 
      Godfathers  Gone To Texas 

• May 4, 2013 8:44 AM CDT
    • I will be on the air and the web from 1:00-3:00PM EST on Saturday May 5th.  There will be the usual punk and garage tunes you know and love and maybe even some you have not yet heard. You can listen on 89.7 WITR-FM in Rochester, NY or streaming live at http://witr.rit.edu

• May 4, 2013 1:07 PM CDT
    • Originally posted on my music blog

* Sam Hard and Heavy by Sam Samudio. His real name is Domingo Samudio, but you probably know him best as Sam the Sham, the voice of "Wooly Bully," "Ju Ju Hand" and (even though it's my least favorite Sam the Sham & The Pharoahs hit), "Little Red Riding Hood." Sam was a Chicano-rock icon, a garage-rock pioneer, who, with The Pharoahs blended a Tex-Mex sensibility with Memphis soul.

Hard and Heavy was Sam's attempt in 1970 to establish himself as a serious solo artist. He was picked up by Atlantic Records, which brought in producer Tom Dowd (who'd just produced major records by The Allman Brothers and Derek & The Dominos) and hired musicians including  Duane Allman, Jim Dickinson with his band The Dixie Flyers, The Memphis Horns and even The Sweet Inspirations (Elvis' background singers) for this record.

The result was a horny, soul-soaked, blues-stewed record with Samudio wailing and growling. Shoulda been a hit. It wasn't. And Samudio sank into unjustified obscurity, remembered mostly when his songs popped up on oldies radio.

For those of us who actually bought Sam the Sham albums in the '60s, the musical direction of Sam Hard and Heavy shouldn't be a surprise. Before I actually heard it, I was afraid it woulds be an overstuffed early '70s supergroup fustercluck. It's not.

There's several covers of familiar songs here. -- It's hard to screw up "Lonely Avenue,"  but even harder to make it sound truly fresh. But Samudio aided by The Sweet Inspirations bring out the hidden joy inside this Doc Pomus classic.

Wisely, Samudio's take on "Key to the Highway" doesn't sound like Derek & The Domino's more familiar version. There's a repetivie grating guitar lick and a cool electric organ bouncing off the rest of the band. I'm not sure who's playing the harmonica, but it works.

The best songs here are the longer jams where sam and band get to stretch out. there's John Lee Hooker's "Goin' Upstairs," performed as a Canned  Heat-style boogie. Even better is the urgent, hard-driving "15 Degrees Capricorn Asc." Despite it's goopy hippie mystic title, this is one tough slab of rock 'n' roll. "Come on, push! Come on, work!" Sam commands as the organ, guitar and horns battle it out.

There's a couple of cuts that aren't so "hard and heavy," but are tasty treats. The acoustic cover of Randy Newman's "Let's Burn Down the Corn Field' is soulful and spooky. And the country/conjunto of "Don't Put Me On" is irresistible.

My only complaint here is that a bonus track that appeared on some reissues of Sam Hard and Heavy -- a cover of "Me and Bobby McGee" featuring Duane Allman -- didn't make the eMusic version. Otherwise, this album is a real treasure.

(All Sam the Sham fans should read this wonderful 1999 interview in Salon.)

* Cookin' Up a Party by King Salami & The Cumberland Three. The band's always been called The Cumberland Three, but the album cover clearly shows four guys beside the limboing King Salami. As the late Jonathan Winters might say, "Where's the other two?"

I'll leave that mystery to the numerologists. All that matters is that on this, their second full-length album, the King and his men continue on as one of the best party bands coming out of the British Isles in who knows how long. Admitted devotees of Barrence Whitfield & The Savages, Salami and crew specialize in a frantic, early R&B-infused sound.

Every dang tune here is a moneymaker-shaker. "Monkey Beat" features crazy bongos; "Yosemite Sam" is a spirited tribute to one of the real heroes of the wild west; "Howlin' for My Woman" could wear you out just listening to it.

All those songs are originals. but King Salami does a decent cover of Louis Prima's "She's a Kukamunga."

* Indigo Meadow by The Black Angels. Once again The Black Angels prove that a band can play psychedelic music without sounding campy or even all that retro.

Granted, on its new album, the Austin band certainly employs some sonic tricks from the psychedelic era: lots of reverb, lots of fuzz, some Mideastern/East Indian-sounding guitar licks and melody lines here and there, creepy electric organ — and in a couple of places you’ll hear that electric jug sound pioneered by the Angels’ Texas forebears, The 13th Floor Elevators.

The band’s music is strong enough that it doesn't seem defined by these musical embellishments. ...

Sound familiar? I reviewed this in Terrell's Tuneup not long ago.

Also

* Egyptian Rats by The Paint Fumes. This is a 3-song EP from garage-punk trio from Charlotte, N.C. They were one of my favorite bands I'd never heard of before off the new (free) Slovenly Records sampler. They make The Black Lips sound like The Jefferson Starship.

"Bluebird" by Leon Russell. Just a song I've loved since it came out in the mid '70s.

• May 4, 2013 11:19 AM CDT
    •  my new band

• May 3, 2013 4:44 PM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist May 2/2013

1. Kensington Hillbillies...London Calling...from their Clash tribute CD, The Crooked Beat.

2. The Mongrels...All Systems Go....special Radio What Wave Session. This and the next 4 songs were recorded exclusively for the Radio What Wave Sessions. The RWW Sessions are studio recordings done by bands that we really like. It's an invite only arrangement and it's way easier than doing a live to air as the bands don't have to lug all of their equipment in and out of our not so easily accessible studio. And it's for fun!!

3. The Mongrels...Do It...not the Pink Fairies song, but an original.

4. The Mongrels...Nice Tits.

5. The Mongrels...No More Tears.

6. The Mongrels...Piece Of Crap. And we were lucky enough to have 2 of The Mongrels live in the studio with us, Joel and Robert, the guitarists and vocalists. Robert was the editor of Beetle magazine, an early 70's Canadian rock magazine who had the foresight to get Rush to clean the washrooms of Beetle Magazine and put the pics in the zine!! And Robert ran 2 record labels back in the 70's, Canadian based El Mocambo Records and UK based Picasso Records. Big thanx to Joel and Robert for taking the time to talk about Mongrel related stuff. And The Mongrels will be playing at The St Regis Hotel on Saturday May 4th.

7. The Counters...Haunted House...The Mongrels were the backup band on this local recording.

8. The Reply...The Reply...from their Downtown Soul CD.

9. The Flamin' Groovies...Comin' After Me...from the Flamingo LP.

10. Gatgas...Back To The Asylum...brand new as this was in my mailbox at CHRW when i arrived to do this show. Gatgas are a local punk combo that are also playing saturday night, at the Richmond Hotel.

11. George Jones...White Lightning...for George who passed away last week.

12. Dragsville...Royal Drag...recorded live at Brennan's 11/3/12, their first ever show. Dragsville open for catl at Call The Office on saturday night.

13. catl...Church On Time...recorded live at Call The Office 9/29/11. catl play Call The Office saturday night with Dragsville.

14. catl...Get Outta My Car...from Soon This Will All Be Gone CD.

15. catl...Working Man's Soul...recorded live at Call The Office 9/29/11. And congrats to Sklylar who won the catl prize pack on this show.

16. Royal Hangman...Turn Me On...from their self titled debut LP on Screaming Apple Records.

17. The Milkshakes...After Midnight...from their 1984 LP, Showcase. Meant to play this when The Mongrels were in the studio as both bands have a similar approach.

18. Brian James...I Can Make You Cry...1979 7" on BJ Records. Brian James was in The Damned and many other bands.

19. Marvelous Beauhunks...Who Said The Kids Are Alright?...from the brand new CD of the same name.

20. B.B. Guns...Bang Bang...recorded live on CIUT outta Toronto, from the Moondog's Ballroom show (tuesdays 5PM on CIUT).

And we're outta time. Big thanx to The Mongrels for the Radio WW Session. And thanx for the phone-ins, emails, facebook messages etc.

Back again next week with a special on the Purple Toads, UIC, Chickens and lots more. And coming up on May 16th, we've got a Radio WW Session with The 905's from Brampton.

ere's a link to the podcast:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave#prev-shows