Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• May 12, 2013 4:30 PM CDT
    • Wow , I just heard that song for the first time in years. Great Fuzztone. Could have been a Nancy and Lee song , but , the breaks were'nt right.

Megan Hawthorne said:

A cowboy's work is never done.

• May 12, 2013 7:32 AM CDT
    • Funny! My wife was telling me to grow up when I was 26 doing that, that part will never go away. I think a McLusky T would look good with chinos, you rule.

• May 12, 2013 1:24 AM CDT
    • A cowboy's work is never done.

• May 8, 2013 7:21 PM CDT
    • I´m pretty happy about the trend here! Fine! :)

• May 11, 2013 2:40 PM CDT
    • THE DICKIES HAD QUITE A FEW VERY SHORT SONGS , SOME THAT SEEMED LIKE ALBUM FILLER (I MEAN THAT IN A POSITIVE WAY) LIKE "SHE LOVES ME , SHE LOVES ME NOT" , AND "I'm a Chollo" , which , evenwith the extended percussive break ,  could'nt be over 1:30. Of course , The Residents had a lot of less - challenging songs that clocked in at well under 2:00 , like "Easter Woman" , "(Here I Come ) Constantinople" (BTW , we used to drive the High Schoolers and our Manager crazy ,  playing that in the kitchen of The Pizza Gulag in MTV - occupied 1983.), and "Elvis and His Boss". Speaking of Elvis , his shortest hit must've been "One Broken Heart For Sale". The much - needed final verse exists , but , was omitted , for some reason , making the song about 1:30.

But , keeping it Punk , lest anyone should whine (AS THO' THERE'D BE ANY PUNK W/O ELVIS , GENE , Jerry Lee , etc. , first.) , there's .......

Davie Allan and The Arrows - Blues Theme (vocal) , The Loser's Burial (Both from teh second Wild Angels'Soundtrack album. Both WELL under 2:00.

Suburban Lawns - Janitor , Mom and Dad and God , Intellectual Rock , and, well ,probably half their first and only LP , which still holds up today. OK , maybe it's more NOO WAVE than Punk.

Cichlids - Longtime bargain bin liners , who still warrant your attention. Their one LP is a pretty sturdy mix of Punk , NOO WAVE , and Garage , Bubblegum , and even Rockabilly influences (This was 1980. Almost NONE of that stuff was hip , yet.) . Very short songs include - Missionary Man , Bubble Gum , (Looking for a Good) Jewish Girl , and covers of "14 0r Fight" (Max Frost and The Troopers.) and "Ups and Downs" (Raiders.) ......They had very good taste in covers for the day (They also did "Ubangi Stomp" and "Boots' before the whole world did it....). But , they were lacking in "Punk cred" , being based in Florida (Even though The New York Dolls played their last shows , there.). They reformed a few years ago , there used to be some great footage from the shows on their myspace. Dunno if it's on youtube , now.......

Johnny Lurg said:

Nirvana - Mexican Seafood

Dicks - Lifetime Problems
      Operation Ivy - Jaded

The Monks - Drunken Maria

The (other) Monks - Nice Legs, Shame About Her Face

Secret Hate - The Ballad of Johnny Butt

Descendents - 'Merica

Dead Milkmen - Laundry Song, Gorilla Girl, Dean's Dream

The Dickies - Howdy Doody in the Woodshed

The Vandals - Anarchy Burger

The Reatards - Your So Lewd

• May 11, 2013 5:04 AM CDT
    • Nirvana - Mexican Seafood

Dicks - Lifetime Problems
      Operation Ivy - Jaded

The Monks - Drunken Maria

The (other) Monks - Nice Legs, Shame About Her Face

Secret Hate - The Ballad of Johnny Butt

Descendents - 'Merica

Dead Milkmen - Laundry Song, Gorilla Girl, Dean's Dream

The Dickies - Howdy Doody in the Woodshed

The Vandals - Anarchy Burger

The Reatards - Your So Lewd

• May 10, 2013 5:53 PM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist May 9/2013

ON this show we did a short tribute to Ray Condo (it was Ray Condo day in Vancouver and Ray passed on Apr 15/2004, just about 10 years ago) and then we played band tree with Durango 95 as the starting point....see the scrawl below.

Since doing the scrawl and posting it, there have been a TON of other bands step up and point out all the missing bands. In fact there's even a band prior to Durango 95, The Other Guys that should have been the starting point.

1. Ray Condo and his Hard Rock Goners....Crazy Mixed Up World...from the Condo Country CD and originally on the first Ray Condo LP. Ray Condo was one of the first to delve into rockabilly, western swing, cajun rock and all kinds of other crazy music, always going back to the source. He was also known as Canada's skinniest cowboy! Tried to play a second Ray Condo tune, but i could not get the CD to play...it was almost as if the CD player was possessed by Ray's ghost!! Search out the tribute page to Ray Condo and you'll see a bunch of pics from his 2 London shows.

Ray Condo and The Hardrock Goners outside Call The Office the morning after a gig.

2. Durango 95....Lose Control...from the LP of the same name, on Star Records. Not only is Star a label, they are one of, if not the coolest record store in all of Canada. Lose control (with slightly different spelling) is the name of Lou Molinaro's (booker for the coolest club this side of Toronto, This Ain't Hollywood in Hamilton) radio show, heard every Wednesday on CFMU out of McMaster University in Hamilton.

3. Durange 95....Lorraine...also from Lose Control and a true story as we all spotted the cool girls coming out of the woodwork during the early punk years.

4. Durango 95...Guitar Guitar Guitar...from their second LP, Mothers Day, also on Star and released after the band's demise.

5. Purple Toads...40 Pounder Blues...from their self titled debut LP, also on Star Records. Probably my fave Purple Toads tune...couple of the pics on the back were taken by Rena as we saw the Toads many many times and always had a good time tonite!!!

Rob Purple Toad in action, possibly The Bridge Tavern in Toronto

6. Purple Toads...Gotta Move...a demo and this song also appeared on a What Wave cassette.

7. Boneyard Devils...I Need Love...from their only 7", and once again on Star Records. Rob from the Purple Toads was the singer/guitarist in this combo.

8. Smokestack Lightning...Volcano...brand new demo from a fairly new band that features 2 members of the Purple Toads, guitarist Paul and bass player Roger. Also in the band now is former UIC drummer Murray.

9. Smokestack Lightning...Wicked Heart...as above.

10. Crummy Stuff...I'm An Idiot For Your Love...from the I Dig Chicks CD. Crummy Stuff is Rob and Mark from the Purple Toads and Brian from The Boy From Nowhere. Crummy Stuff played here last weekend for Jon Traut's 50th, and they were absolutely killer that night. They also back up the legends when they come up to Ontario without a band..ie Lyres, Chris Masuak, etc.

Crummy Stuff, Town and Country, May 4/2013

11. Crummy Stuff...Ejection...as above.

12. The Hippies...Can Teens...from Slippery's Club Hits, the cassette that comes with What Wave 24. The Hippies were an early 80's band from London Ontario, and Brian, who is in Crummy Stuff, played bass.

13. Young Fast And Scientific...Victoria...recorded live at Call The Office, 1/5/91. A short lived London band that featured singer Kelly from The Hippies and guitarist Lindsay from The Hippies.

Young Fast And Scientific, Call The Office.

14. Legend Killers...Strychnine...from Slippery's Club Hits. Features bass player Bryan from Young Fast and Scientific. The Legend Killers are the only band to be featured in every compilation cassette, record and CD that we have released! And that's about 15 compilations if my math is correct. And, the Legend Killers music is going to be featured in a  play coming up at the Fringe Festival sometime next month. More details when available.

15. Crash 80's...Thrills...from their only release. London based combo that started in the late 70's, and sorta morphed into Suffer Machine. Drummer Billy Wallace was in the Legend Killers.

16. The Zellots...Soldiers...from Slippery's Club Hits. They started in the late 70's in Vancouver, moved back to their home of London and continued on until about 1984. You can read the full story in Mongrel Zine 10 and 11. Guitarist Gilbert came from Crash 80's.

The Zellots, street fair, Aug 1980.

17. The Stoves...Can't Slow Down...also from Slippery's Club Hits. One of the first new wave/punk/whatever combos in London and featured drummer Greg Moore from the Zellots.

18. UIC...What I Want...recorded live at Call The Office 3/16/85 and there is also video footage of that show that features your DJ dancing up front and having fun! Drummer Murray is also in Smokestack Lightning and was in Positively Stompin'.

Fred of UIC, possibly Toronto and looks like it was either a hot solo or a really good fart!

19. Positively Stompin'...Barbwire...from their Junk Drawer CD and also featured guitarist Ted from UIC.

20. Legendary Dirtbikers...First Dog In Space...from their only 7" and features guitarist Fred (who also runs Mitzi's in Toronto, where the cool bands play) who was in UIC and The Chickens...

21. The Chickens...Super Bee...from the Prepare To Plug In CD....and features 4/5 of UIC and guitarist Ken. This song might be out of order as my playlist is a bit of a mess.

22. Ultimatemost High...Killer Wolf...from their only 7" and features drummer Mike McKeever who was/is in Crummy Stuff. They will be releasing a 7" on Get Hip in the not too distant futures.

23. Ray Condo...Big Dog, Little Dog...from the tribute 7" that was released after Ray passed by Peter Sandmark, who was the drummer for Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners.

And that's a wrap, hope you dug the tunes. Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!

Next week, we've got The 905s doing a Radio What Wave Session, the third band in this ongoing series of handpicked bands from around the world!

All pictures from the What Wave Archives, please don't repost without permission.

And here's a link to the podcast:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave#prev-shows

• May 10, 2013 1:41 PM CDT
    • 6-9PM CST Monday nights, streaming and archived at wmse.org

5/6/13

06:02PM Teengenerate “Six And Change”

06:04PM Big Ginger and the Nobodies “Fall of Conformity”

06:06PM Evil Conduct “Days Of Glory”

06:09PM Cold Cock “I Wanna Be Rich”

06:11PM Beat Beat Beat “Sinking Slow”

06:16PM The Spits “Tonight”

06:19PM The Spits “Rip Up the Streets”

06:20PM Burning Sons “Reflective Confessions”

06:22PM Wooly Bullies “Weekend Warriors”

06:25PM Gasoline “Killer Man”

06:27PM New Bomb Turks “Rat Feelings”

06:31PM Funhouse Strippers “KGB”

06:34PM Shit Box Jimmy “Black Eye”

06:36PM The Dogs “Slash Your Face”

06:42PM The Dwarves “Like You Want It”

06:45PM Fluf “Sheela Na Gig”

06:48PM The Ramones “I Don't Care”

06:51PM Nobody's Heroes “Retard”

06:53PM Vox Pop “Cab Driver”

06:56PM Irish Brothers “Psycho Pompadour”

06:58PM The Slugs “Problem Child”

07:04PM Die Kreuzen “Shake Loose”

07:09PM The Coltranes “Gallery”

07:11PM The Psyclone Rangers “I'm Straight”

07:18PM Girlschool “Demolition Boys”

07:21PM L7 “Fast and Frightening (Live)”

07:24PM BLACK ACTRESS “Danger City Deadmen”

07:26PM The Hellacopters “Such a Blast”

07:32PM LOCAL SIZZLER: The 57S “Rollin' Dice or Playin' Nice”

07:35PM The Stooges “TV Eye (Takes 7 & 8)”

07:40PM Cheap Time “Push Your Luck”

07:42PM The Alchemysts “Fault Line”

07:51PM The Shock Headed Peters “Are You Happy Or Are You Real?”

07:54PM Sonic Youth “Silver Rocket”

07:57PM The Dictators “Faster And Louder”

08:02PM The Makers “Nobody Gonna Break My Soul”

08:06PM The Psykicks “ONCE UPON A TIME”

08:09PM The Mainliners “Sinkin' Feeling”

08:11PM Blacktop “I Think It's Going To Rain”

08:20PM The Sherwoods “Tickler”

08:22PM The Gruesomes “Things She Does to Me”

08:23PM Gino And The Goons “Hit It”

08:24PM Edd "Kookie" Byrnes “Kookie's Mad Pad”

08:27PM Southern Culture On The Skids “Viva Del Santo!”

08:31PM The Ventures “The 2,000 Pound Bee Pt.1”

08:33PM The Cramps “People Ain't No Good”

08:38PM Jean and the Statesiders “Putty”

08:40PM The Blind Shake “Hurracan”

08:44PM Earl And The Losers “John Waynes Got Blues”

08:48PM The Hard Feelings “Leave Me Alone”

08:51PM Pretty Things “She's Fine, She's Mine”

08:52PM The Customs “Keep My Big Mouth Shut”

08:55PM The Caps “The Red Headed Flea”

08:57PM Chum “Corned Beef & Whiskey”

• May 9, 2013 9:09 PM CDT
    • "dOWN IN tHE sEWER" QUALIFIES AS A MINI CONCEPT ALBUM. I'm missing The Stranglers next month , and they'll probably be much better than they were, 20 years ago , too. A very SMALL CLUB SOLD $3 TICKETS , which sold out in minutes , so MAYBE about 300 people , total will see them in two nights.

• May 9, 2013 9:06 PM CDT
    • I'm just not up with these kids and their IPUDs and their VINYLS and doohickies and whatchamacallits. What band are we talking about , again ? Knit One , PURL JAM? 

• May 9, 2013 6:12 PM CDT
    • Aw, fanx. I still play the Who section of American Idiot and think, fucking hell, that is so fucking brilliant. For those who haven't heard that... well, go play it because it's worth it.

People hate that band because they make scary amounts of money now - a corporation to be sure. I do not begrudge them that success -- that is just sour grapes in my opinion.

Sadness for me? Why did they have to make a fucking Broadway play out of this thing? Totally changed my feeling for that recording. I can't shake that cloying showtuniness of where that work went.

Sometimes I like to pretend -- what would that record have sounded like without the over-production? Some alternate universe where they wrote songs like that still in the Garage. We'll never know. *shrug*

Johnny Lurg said:

I appreciate your bravery. 21st Century Breakdown and American Idiot are not only punk concept albums, but also "punk operas."

melissa scott said:

Nice blast from the past -- Hazel O'Connor! WOW!!!! OK, at the risk of being booted off this thread, I'd have to add American Idiot as a punk concept album. Fine, I know I know, commercial twaddle and power poppy whatevers, but to many, it defined 'punk' concept albums for the 'noughties. I won't post a piccie as pretty much everyone knows what this one looked like.

Feel free to send private hate mail to me. *grin*

• May 9, 2013 2:44 PM CDT
    • I appreciate your bravery. 21st Century Breakdown and American Idiot are not only punk concept albums, but also "punk operas."

melissa scott said:

Nice blast from the past -- Hazel O'Connor! WOW!!!! OK, at the risk of being booted off this thread, I'd have to add American Idiot as a punk concept album. Fine, I know I know, commercial twaddle and power poppy whatevers, but to many, it defined 'punk' concept albums for the 'noughties. I won't post a piccie as pretty much everyone knows what this one looked like.

Feel free to send private hate mail to me. *grin*

• May 8, 2013 4:45 PM CDT
    • It's not a whole album, just a group of songs; but's it's sub-divided into named and numbered sections so, to my mind, it counts.... Down in the Sewer by the Stranglers (off of Rattus).

It's rather good, too.

D.

• May 9, 2013 3:29 AM CDT
    • This is the best Adult Swim comp since Chocolate Swim or Definitive Swim. Thanks so much for sending this link! I have really regained faith in Adult Swim after they posted this and Dexter's Rude Removal.

• May 8, 2013 4:25 PM CDT
    • Cheers for the heads up dooood! Crackin stuff!

• May 8, 2013 8:41 PM CDT
    • Hi Axel,

I'd go with a basic but decent quality vocal mic, like a Shure SM58 or equivalent.  But instead of distorting the vocals while recording, I'd record clean, setting my levels so I don't go in the red, and shoot for capturing the best raw vocal performance I could.  

Then I'd route that pristine vocal track thru any of the cool dirtying contraptions mentioned, and record that separately.  Then I could experiment at will, comparing apples to apples, to find what works best. 

When THEE DIRTYBEATS recorded its ep, we did something similar, in that we handled the processing of the vocals as an entirely separate step.  We first recorded all the instruments live as a band, straight through, using a scratch track for the vocals, and later replaced the scratch track with more focused, better-recorded vocal performances.  Vocal effects like overdrive, compression, and reverb were added after the fact, during mixing.  

Hope this helps,

Andras

THEE DIRTYBEATS - 100% maximum vintage garage

http://www.theedirtybeats.com

• May 8, 2013 7:11 PM CDT
    • Yeah! He´s coming to Europe!! 
      Looking forward to see him in Berlin! :)

• May 8, 2013 4:55 PM CDT
    • Thanx Mike for this killer song! This Tami-show from´64 is simply great. 
      Yep, the best to me, as a dance-freak, has been to dance with him and his fellows! The were all sooooo fucking good! I will never forget the laugh, the good mood and the dancing that night, never! (by the way, we were on all sides pretty drunk and stoned too;)

Mike said:

Teriscore, that is a story for the ages, pool party with Soul Brother #1!! I'll have to come clean, I only saw him once in the mid 80's at a large street fair in LA. Free none the less he was great, but we were pretty drunk and fairly far back from the stage. Shortly before his death I know he played a few club dates in NYC which I heard were really great. Here's another youtube video I love, him doing "Outta Sight" at the TAMI show at the Santa Monica Civic in Los Angeles back in '64. His whole set is great here and the DVD of this is really high quality.

• May 8, 2013 4:32 PM CDT
    • Some from the UK; I stumbled across The Neasden Bees today as another band that we're in touch with (Nervous Twitch, female bassist/singer) are playing with them soon. The Franceens; another with a female bassist. There's another band - whose name escapes me - garnering a fair amount of attention at the moment. I'll try to remember!

And there's us, too.....

• May 8, 2013 2:42 PM CDT
    • Hay Egg MAn Check out thr dRIVIN bEATS on Reverbnation or facebook. Let us know what you think.

Drew Starr

• May 8, 2013 2:35 PM CDT
    • Shameless self promotion is frowned upon. Let others plug your band please (it's cooler like that anyway, right?) If your band doesn't make the discussion just suck it up. These threads get shut down eventually because of these small infractions. Please try to be modest (I know, it's hard for all of us).

Drew Starr said:

Axel got just the thing for ya check out the dRIVIN bEATS on Reverbnation or face book.

Garentied to get your garage Kicks YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• May 8, 2013 2:28 PM CDT
    • Axel got just the thing for ya check out the dRIVIN bEATS on Reverbnation or face book.

Garentied to get your garage Kicks YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• May 8, 2013 7:53 AM CDT
    • hey guys, nice vid! i had a band called the dirtbags a couple years back, now i have Dirtbag radio broadcasting on NZ's bFM, Spooky. send me some tracks if ya got em

Them Dirtbags said:

Them Dirtbags original sounds just starting to network around the UK 

http://youtu.be/PsBaZXj-ezo

• May 8, 2013 2:32 PM CDT
    • Hay Black Cat 69, check out the dRIVIN bEATS on Reverbnation or facebook. I'll send ya some tunes if you are interested. Everything recorded in 2013.

Drew Starr