Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• May 7, 2013 11:50 PM CDT
    • The Raw Nerves and Gaytime! both from Auckland NZ. You wont regret it!

• May 7, 2013 3:18 PM CDT
    • TRAUMAHELIKOPTER

HANGEE V

SHADY & THE VAMP

THE SKEPTICS

• May 8, 2013 2:10 AM CDT
    • I have to say that Slayer made me discover old californian punk bands like TSOL, Verbal Abuse or Minor Threat. I was 15 when they released their punk's covers album and it was a big kick in my ass !

• May 8, 2013 2:06 AM CDT
    • Actually he died cause of liver problems... Alcool maybe, one of his sponsor was Heinecken !

Still quite rock'n'roll, no ?

John Battles said:

How did he die , actually? Seriously , I have'nt heard. I did hear he was once bitten by a rare venomous spider that made his hand blow up far more than it's normal size. My friend called it "The ultimate Heavy Metal injury". There are certainly many contenders for that title , but , I heard nothing about his death being related to the spider bite.   Slayer , I was never a fan. I liked a few of their songs in the 80's when I was briefly listening to some of the then - new Speed Metal bands , but , that does'nt mean I don't feel for his fans , friends and family.

• May 7, 2013 10:34 PM CDT
    • It is. Don't think my friend does'nt like the sound of that word , either ! It's great when two people are on the same path , and , if you want to say music is'nt a BIG part of that , you may fool yourself, but you don't fool me.

Glenn Barton said:

The music of the Cramps is ageless. Why not the fans? Ex-wife, indeed!

John Battles said:

That's just it , we physically age , yes , though Lux and Ivy hardly seemed to (For the record , people that have seen Ivy in the last few years have told me she's doing great and looking great , though a return to music does'nt seem to be in the cards.), it does'nt mean we have to let go of our passions. I'd rather see someone turn their back on all this Junk Culture (I say that lovingly) because they found other interests of their own accord , not because so many people told them it's high time they stopped having fun. A friend's ex-wife told him to "Grow up" just because he wanted to see The Cramps in his mid - 30's , when by that time , this put him in the younger portion of the audience. Me , too , as I'm a couple of  years older. you'll note the use of the word "ex".  

• May 7, 2013 9:24 PM CDT
    • Stick with what you like, new or old. Lots of us hear will find they can't help but do it. Not a matter of choice! Nuggets till I'm dead!

Mike said:

Lux & Ivy did set a template of sorts for defying age. Yes others are still out there playing at older ages, but the Cramps never became any type of oldies show. Lux could be just as outrageous at 60 and Ivy could still make the young boys drool. There were a few people I met in my youth that showed me you didn't have to conform when you got older, most were products of teenage hippiedom to give proper credit. I remember when I was about 17/18 and a girl I used to hang out with had her mom pick me up to go to a 4th of July function. So mom was probably only 38 or so, but that seemed so much older to me at the time, but when I get in the car "Helium Bar" by the Weirdos is playing and it is mom's cassette, not my friend's. I get to the house and there's a Rezillos photo on the kitchen wall and a collection of Ed Roth related models in the living room as well as damn near every episode of the Munsters on VHS, oh and a Robert Williams painting or two! I was in awe. Her parents worked and had their home and were raisng two daughters, yet were hep on the past and the present. Really opened my eyes to the idea of not having to "grow up" to be a grown up.

John Battles said:

People are living longer , these days. Each year sees at least a few people checking out at age 114. I just saw an interview with Lux Interior where he maintained that while Rock'n'Roll IS teenage music , it's scope is'nt limited to any specific age group . Anyone who wants to play it , can , and he sure lived to prove THAT. BUT "ROCK" music , he added , is for older people who no longer feel the Teenage Rage. A good friend of mine lost his Mother at the age of 93. A few years earlier , she bought us each a Johnny Thunders T- shirt. She even requested they let her wear a Ramones T-shirt under her hospital gown , when she was nearing the end. It's not so much that she was a fan , as that's how she wanted to keep her Son close by when he could'nt be there . So , you see , despite our best combined efforts , Rock'n'Roll has bridged the generation gap. 

• May 7, 2013 9:21 PM CDT
    • The music of the Cramps is ageless. Why not the fans? Ex-wife, indeed!

John Battles said:

That's just it , we physically age , yes , though Lux and Ivy hardly seemed to (For the record , people that have seen Ivy in the last few years have told me she's doing great and looking great , though a return to music does'nt seem to be in the cards.), it does'nt mean we have to let go of our passions. I'd rather see someone turn their back on all this Junk Culture (I say that lovingly) because they found other interests of their own accord , not because so many people told them it's high time they stopped having fun. A friend's ex-wife told him to "Grow up" just because he wanted to see The Cramps in his mid - 30's , when by that time , this put him in the younger portion of the audience. Me , too , as I'm a couple of  years older. you'll note the use of the word "ex".  

• May 7, 2013 2:12 PM CDT
    • That's just it , we physically age , yes , though Lux and Ivy hardly seemed to (For the record , people that have seen Ivy in the last few years have told me she's doing great and looking great , though a return to music does'nt seem to be in the cards.), it does'nt mean we have to let go of our passions. I'd rather see someone turn their back on all this Junk Culture (I say that lovingly) because they found other interests of their own accord , not because so many people told them it's high time they stopped having fun. A friend's ex-wife told him to "Grow up" just because he wanted to see The Cramps in his mid - 30's , when by that time , this put him in the younger portion of the audience. Me , too , as I'm a couple of  years older. you'll note the use of the word "ex".  

• May 7, 2013 1:01 PM CDT
    • Lux & Ivy did set a template of sorts for defying age. Yes others are still out there playing at older ages, but the Cramps never became any type of oldies show. Lux could be just as outrageous at 60 and Ivy could still make the young boys drool. There were a few people I met in my youth that showed me you didn't have to conform when you got older, most were products of teenage hippiedom to give proper credit. I remember when I was about 17/18 and a girl I used to hang out with had her mom pick me up to go to a 4th of July function. So mom was probably only 38 or so, but that seemed so much older to me at the time, but when I get in the car "Helium Bar" by the Weirdos is playing and it is mom's cassette, not my friend's. I get to the house and there's a Rezillos photo on the kitchen wall and a collection of Ed Roth related models in the living room as well as damn near every episode of the Munsters on VHS, oh and a Robert Williams painting or two! I was in awe. Her parents worked and had their home and were raisng two daughters, yet were hep on the past and the present. Really opened my eyes to the idea of not having to "grow up" to be a grown up.

John Battles said:

People are living longer , these days. Each year sees at least a few people checking out at age 114. I just saw an interview with Lux Interior where he maintained that while Rock'n'Roll IS teenage music , it's scope is'nt limited to any specific age group . Anyone who wants to play it , can , and he sure lived to prove THAT. BUT "ROCK" music , he added , is for older people who no longer feel the Teenage Rage. A good friend of mine lost his Mother at the age of 93. A few years earlier , she bought us each a Johnny Thunders T- shirt. She even requested they let her wear a Ramones T-shirt under her hospital gown , when she was nearing the end. It's not so much that she was a fan , as that's how she wanted to keep her Son close by when he could'nt be there . So , you see , despite our best combined efforts , Rock'n'Roll has bridged the generation gap. 

• May 7, 2013 9:26 AM CDT
    • Well said sir!

Chris Henniker said:

I think Malcolm and Cressida are advising Sting, Bonio and Chris Martin of Oldgay on how to be a more pretentious twat and win friends at the same time. Tantri sex and tax evasion are two subjects on their syllabus, along with shoddy thinking. Taquin is looking on in astonishment as people lap up the lack of common sense and even John Lennon turns in his grave, generating enough electricity to run the whole Merseyside.

• May 7, 2013 6:36 AM CDT
    • I think Malcolm and Cressida are advising Sting, Bonio and Chris Martin of Oldgay on how to be a more pretentious twat and win friends at the same time. Tantri sex and tax evasion are two subjects on their syllabus, along with shoddy thinking. Taquin is looking on in astonishment as people lap up the lack of common sense and even John Lennon turns in his grave, generating enough electricity to run the whole Merseyside.

• May 7, 2013 5:31 PM CDT
    • Yeah really awesome stuff!

• May 7, 2013 3:50 PM CDT
    • Funny, I was gonna post about this compilation this evenin' after work, but congrats ya beat me to the chase...as a long time Adult Swim fan I was hopin' they'd venture out into the trashy r'n'r world, wish granted with this release...now if they would start usin' this style of music fer their bumps I would be super stoked (and probably watch their programmin' even more).

• May 7, 2013 1:28 PM CDT
    • I was surprised no one had started a thread about it, so I started one.
      http://video.adultswim.com/promotions/201305_garageswim/
      Yes, Dr. Pepper is the sponsor. Aside from that, Adult Swim has worked with great independent labels in the past (Definitive Jux, Ghostly International, Stones Throw, etc.). Adult Swim looks cooler (as if that was possible), great bands gain a new audience (maybe), and we get more more music for free – including a new Gories track!

• May 7, 2013 2:00 PM CDT
    • I'd punch someone in the face to hear this! UFO Romantics is the most recent release I have. 

• May 6, 2013 4:18 PM CDT
    • As he did on the last LP cover too. In fact I think he's wearing one every time I see them or a photo of them these days. They were the first Goner release too.

IDON MINE said:

All that AND he's wearing a GONER records shirt on the cover!

• May 7, 2013 1:26 PM CDT
    • Teriscore, that is a story for the ages, pool party with Soul Brother #1!! I'll have to come clean, I only saw him once in the mid 80's at a large street fair in LA. Free none the less he was great, but we were pretty drunk and fairly far back from the stage. Shortly before his death I know he played a few club dates in NYC which I heard were really great. Here's another youtube video I love, him doing "Outta Sight" at the TAMI show at the Santa Monica Civic in Los Angeles back in '64. His whole set is great here and the DVD of this is really high quality.

• May 6, 2013 7:58 PM CDT
    • Nice blast from the past -- Hazel O'Connor! WOW!!!! OK, at the risk of being booted off this thread, I'd have to add American Idiot as a punk concept album. Fine, I know I know, commercial twaddle and power poppy whatevers, but to many, it defined 'punk' concept albums for the 'noughties. I won't post a piccie as pretty much everyone knows what this one looked like.

Feel free to send private hate mail to me. *grin*

• May 6, 2013 2:15 PM CDT
    • Jeff, how can i get my group the dRIVIN bEATS some air play?

You can check us out on FaceBook or we have a reverbnation site.

Drew Starr

• May 6, 2013 8:06 AM CDT
    • We have The Blast Off Festival in Nottingham U.k which is excellent but unfortunately not on every year :(

• May 5, 2013 2:31 PM CDT
    • I had a really GREAT time at the Funtastic Dracula Carnival in Spain last year.

Spaniards REALLY know how to throw a party!

The Gories, Go-Nuts, Gravedigger V, Theee Bat, Shannon and The Clams, and Giuda all played, really intense weekend, wildest 3 nights of my life, it started Thursday night, and there were parties going on non stop til Early Monday morning. Great bands, great dj's, great time, best atmosphere there too.

• May 6, 2013 7:01 AM CDT
    • This side of the millennium but currently not active, Mr Airplane man are a band you should check out if you get the chance.

• May 5, 2013 5:42 PM CDT
    • With Weirdonia on this one...Bandcamp offer an excellent service....as well as free or fixed price downloads you can set name your own price downloads with or without a minimum figure...(but watch out for PayPal's minimum transaction cost)...you can also bundle tracks into "albums" and include artwork and videos and stuff in the download....