Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• May 16, 2013 3:57 PM CDT
    • Cheap Trick was the 1st concert I ever went to, in a freakin' basketball stadium, which made everything echo-y (not that I cared). They were promoting One On One, which I think is their best LP. It was fantastic!

The next day, half of the kids in my classes came back w/  1.Tinnitus (which we bragged about) and 2. Those baseball tour jerseys with that 6-necked Hamer on it. Good times.

• May 16, 2013 10:13 AM CDT
    • Is Rockford another one of those towns that has lost much of its industrial base, leaving behind rusting factories and poverty? Can't be any worse than a whole lot of other places.

John Battles said:

I was never a Cheap Trick fan ( Which is heresy for a White , male Chicagoan, I know) , Mike , but , I always enjoy your threads. I JUST BOUGHT A SWEET -ASS 8 TRACK PLAYER WITH A BUILT - IN AMP , SPEAKERS , AND TWO CASES OF TAPES......INCLUDING CHEAP TRICKS' DEBUT , which I sort of like . It's very Roy Wood and Gary Glitter influenced , at a time when it'd still be years 'til Glam Rock would be co - opted by American acts like Joan Jett and (UGH) Quiet Riot (Or are they British? Who cares.) and even Krokus (YEESH) from Switzerland , to say nothing of bands people mistook for Glam like Poison and Motley Crue. All the while ,Tommy James had already glommed on to the previously - ignored Glam bandwagon , with "In Touch" around the time "Cheap Trick " came out. Cheap Trick , at least , get bonus points for  doing "California Man" by Wizzard.                     Anyway , enjoy the show. Don't go to Rockford , Illinois , the band's original home. It's DEPRESSING !

• May 15, 2013 1:19 AM CDT
    •  I was never a Cheap Trick fan ( Which is heresy for a White , male Chicagoan, I know) , Mike , but , I always enjoy your threads. I JUST BOUGHT A SWEET -ASS 8 TRACK PLAYER WITH A BUILT - IN AMP , SPEAKERS , AND TWO CASES OF TAPES......INCLUDING CHEAP TRICKS' DEBUT , which I sort of like . It's very Roy Wood and Gary Glitter influenced , at a time when it'd still be years 'til Glam Rock would be co - opted by American acts like Joan Jett and (UGH) Quiet Riot (Or are they British? Who cares.) and even Krokus (YEESH) from Switzerland , to say nothing of bands people mistook for Glam like Poison and Motley Crue. All the while ,Tommy James had already glommed on to the previously - ignored Glam bandwagon , with "In Touch" around the time "Cheap Trick " came out. Cheap Trick , at least , get bonus points for  doing "California Man" by Wizzard.                     Anyway , enjoy the show. Don't go to Rockford , Illinois , the band's original home. It's DEPRESSING !

• May 14, 2013 7:03 PM CDT
    • I almost saw them for free last year! But it was for Wal-Mart shareholders week and they played with Aerosmith and I was a loser and stayed home. Sigh.

• May 14, 2013 2:50 PM CDT
    • I've seen them twice. The first time was when they played at my university (I think it was my senior year... most likely 1987) in Warrensburg, MO, of all places, and the 2nd time was sometime in the late '90s at a private gig at the Blueberry Hill Duck Room in St. Louis—pretty small venue to see such a big-name act. It was a "Marlboro Points" show. You had to have a certain number of Marlboro Points to get in. I didn't even smoke Marlboros back then, but a friend of mine somehow was able to get enough points for us to get in. It was amazing, though. Rick Nielsen's guitars (probably a couple dozen of them) were all cordoned off in one section off to the side of the stage.

• May 14, 2013 7:42 AM CDT
    • It's just been announced that they are coming to Pittsburgh on Aug. 21, and they will play at Stage AE, which is a fairly new venue on the North Side. This will be my first time seeing Cheap Trick, and it will also be the first show I'll see at Stage AE. BTW, before you ask, I just never got around to seeing them before, hence that is why this is my first time.

I take it there are some Cheap Trick fans around here, right? Anyone have any memories to share about this band, or any thoughts on songs and/or albums? When I was a kid, they were the only other band I liked besides KISS, and I used to have a vinyl copy of "Live at Budokan." I now have the complete concert on CD, and I still think it's a great live album.

• May 16, 2013 3:54 PM CDT
    • Could'nt tell ya. But , thanks to you and Jane Dear for the new submissions.

I have'nt thought of any good ones , lately.

Adrian Alfonso said:

Yeah, I never understood how he thought THAT was the chorus,

I mean, it's in the song title..

oh another one, that smiths song 'how soon is now'.  My friend used to think the chorus went "I am Puma and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does".

mind, he was pretty drunk when he first heard it, nevertheless, I refuse to sing it any other way than that now. haha

• May 16, 2013 3:52 PM CDT
    • I'm right out teh door ,but , I''ll check it out later. "Extra Baggage" would be more accessible , but , maybe they're talking about cooking a dead guy like he was Jerk Chicken,,,,

Jane Dear said:

At around 1:10 the lyrics are supposedly "lets say we throw the extra baggage, come from the jerk from the man on fire" but I'm pretty sure it's more like something about "sexy maggots" and "the church of the minotaur."

• May 16, 2013 1:08 PM CDT
    • At around 1:10 the lyrics are supposedly "lets say we throw the extra baggage, come from the jerk from the man on fire" but I'm pretty sure it's more like something about "sexy maggots" and "the church of the minotaur."

• May 16, 2013 4:07 AM CDT
    • Yeah, I never understood how he thought THAT was the chorus,

I mean, it's in the song title..

oh another one, that smiths song 'how soon is now'.  My friend used to think the chorus went "I am Puma and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does".

mind, he was pretty drunk when he first heard it, nevertheless, I refuse to sing it any other way than that now. haha

• May 15, 2013 6:20 PM CDT
    • "Oh , oh , Island of Soul", that's pretty funny.

• May 15, 2013 6:22 AM CDT
    • So many songs..

My Friend Lily used to sing "Summer Girls, You got nothing to lose" to Cheap Tricks' 'Southern Girls'

Another friend of mine used to sing along "Oh Oh, Island of Soul"  to the Ramones' 'I Love Her So'.

• May 15, 2013 2:43 AM CDT
    •  OK , this is true , but.....IT'S A FACT THAT ELVIS WOULD PROCURE CURRENT ROCK stars in the 70's for private social gatherings at Graceland , or one of his homes in California.

At one such gathering , Alice Cooper was summoned to meet his idol. Elvis wanted to demostrate a defensive Karate move for the assembled few . He literally handed Cooper a loaded rifle , and told him to lunge at him , like he was attacking him. Despite his protests , Evis demanded that Alice do as he said. Alice took the gun , and ran right into Presley , who disarmed him. But , Alice later said , "If this had'nt worked , I was thinking about the fact that I'd be on the front page of ever newspaper in the world !"

• May 15, 2013 2:11 AM CDT
    • THANK YOU ,MELISSA. I GET A GOOD ONE IN NOW AND AGAIN......I'm already seeing "Stitch'n'Bitch" books , so , I say , strike while the iron's hot.

Black Metal/Avant Jazz / Fucking Noise Drummer , Weasel Walter played at a Roctober  tribute show for Samy Davis , Jr. Of course , he made it clear that he never liked Sammy. People booed. I shouted "You should have a hotel with 18 rooms , and a stomach ache in each room!!!"(A Jewish curse I learned from "All in The Family , which Sammy owns one of teh best eisodes of , ever.)............But , when Walter got down to it , he did a Drums and Vocal Rant MEDLEY FROM "wEST sIDE sTORY".......iT WAS LIKE SAMMY 's and Buddy Rich's WSS medleys run thru a sausage grater. Pretty intense. ANGRY , Punk as Fuck.

Where Have You Gone Russ Tamblyn? I'd also say The Alice Cooper Group's James Bond Tribute "Halo of Flies"is High Concept as Hell , and a fantastic arrangement. Their "Man With The Golden Gun" , recorded between McCARTNEY'S "LIVE AND LET DIE" and the chosen track for thE next BOND epic , by Lulu (Love me some Lulu , but , no......), should have been the theme song. Who's more like Christopher Lee? Alice , OF COURSE.

'' Gutter Cat Vs. The Jets" is another mini - opera , starting out as a sex and violence Krazy Kat J.D film/cartoon , with The Jets' SONG FROM wEST sIDE sTORY ACCELERATING the violence , especially in their live show , with Alice and Drummer Neal Smith fighting around a garbage can , looking like they're really beating the shit out each other , and employing a very real looking knife.......Lot of stabbings in Shakespeare , too.

• May 13, 2013 7:32 AM CDT
    • Very clever John Battles hahaha, knit one, Purl Jam? hahaha Sorry Johnny Lurg... GJB was just making a very obscure joke -- but I like it... Purl Jam... Hmmmm Might have to be the title of my book. Thanks John!

No doubt there will be 10,000 copies of the ridiculous CD trifecta the former punks of GD produced recently. Stinkeroos. I guess they are entitled to a few like everyone else who hangs on as long as they have...

Wondering if it impossible to have a punk opera? I mean... the songs are pretty short... speed opera :D Concept? Fuck you, we don't need a stinking concept. Concepts are for those Stadium Rawk twats! Just kidding really as I love it when people play around on the margins of genres... Awaiting more candidates to fit the Concept category ....

• May 12, 2013 7:11 PM CDT
    • OH , YOU KNOW , "KNIT ONE , PURL TWO "( KNITTING.) ... I was just doing my own parody of an out -of - it old man , which is'nt much of a stretch....I finally had to ask Melissa , who is "American Idiot " by , anyway?  My first guess was Green Day , but , I saw about 2O GREEN DAY CDs AT A STORE I WAS AT , THE OTHER DAY , BUT , THERE WAS NO SUCH TITLE. It IS a Green Day album , she confirmed.

Johnny Lurg said:

I don't even know what "Knit One" is supposed to be a parody of.

John Battles said:

I'm just not up with these kids and their IPUDs and their VINYLS and doohickies and whatchamacallits. What band are we talking about , again ? Knit One , PURL JAM? 

• May 12, 2013 6:32 PM CDT
    • I don't even know what "Knit One" is supposed to be a parody of.

John Battles said:

I'm just not up with these kids and their IPUDs and their VINYLS and doohickies and whatchamacallits. What band are we talking about , again ? Knit One , PURL JAM? 

• May 13, 2013 7:42 PM CDT

• True that. I found my bestest friend ever because of music and even let him marry me! Best decision I ever made. 

John Battles said:

It is. Don't think my friend does'nt like the sound of that word , either ! It's great when two people are on the same path , and , if you want to say music is'nt a BIG part of that , you may fool yourself, but you don't fool me.

• May 13, 2013 6:42 AM CDT
    • Ha ha. A mclusky t shirt would look good wi anything really!

SURFERFUZZ said:

Funny! My wife was telling me to grow up when I was 26 doing that, that part will never go away. I think a McLusky T would look good with chinos, you rule.

• May 13, 2013 11:37 AM CDT
    • The Trip!  May 5th Show!  It's Springtime!  Listen here: http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20130505-0030-t1367710200.mp3

The setlist: 

the strangers-   caterpillar crawl
      hawkwind-   earth calling
      the breakers-   don't send me no flowers (I ain't dead yet)
      dungen-   det du tanker idag ar du i morgon
      sir frog & the toads-   the frog
      status quo-   ice in the sun
      the strangers-   dance of the ants
      magic slim and the teardrops-   ship made of paper
      magic slim and the teardrops-   matchbox blues       
      ween-   springtheme
      make-up - earth worm pt. 2
      joyful noise-   animals, flowers and children
      the nazz-   rain rider
      mountain (leslie west)-   look to the wind
      the beach boys-   wind chimes
      dust-   walk in the soft rain
      rufus thomas jr.-   walking in the rain
      the del-gators -   mudpit
      pink floyd-   mudmen
      the bees-   wash in the rain

• May 13, 2013 11:35 AM CDT
    • Hey Drew, 

Feel free to provide me with any files in my garagepunk.com PM box!  Would be more than happy to play you guys over the Detroit airwaves! 

Drew Starr said:

Hay Black Cat 69, check out the dRIVIN bEATS on Reverbnation or facebook. I'll send ya some tunes if you are interested. Everything recorded in 2013.

Drew Starr 

• May 12, 2013 6:45 PM CDT
    • Every single song on The Residents' Commercial Album is around a minute long because that's how long most pop songs would be without repetition.

John Battles said:

THE DICKIES HAD QUITE A FEW VERY SHORT SONGS , SOME THAT SEEMED LIKE ALBUM FILLER (I MEAN THAT IN A POSITIVE WAY) LIKE "SHE LOVES ME , SHE LOVES ME NOT" , AND "I'm a Chollo" , which , evenwith the extended percussive break ,  could'nt be over 1:30. Of course , The Residents had a lot of less - challenging songs that clocked in at well under 2:00 , like "Easter Woman" , "(Here I Come ) Constantinople" (BTW , we used to drive the High Schoolers and our Manager crazy ,  playing that in the kitchen of The Pizza Gulag in MTV - occupied 1983.), and "Elvis and His Boss". Speaking of Elvis , his shortest hit must've been "One Broken Heart For Sale". The much - needed final verse exists , but , was omitted , for some reason , making the song about 1:30.

But , keeping it Punk , lest anyone should whine (AS THO' THERE'D BE ANY PUNK W/O ELVIS , GENE , Jerry Lee , etc. , first.) , there's .......

Davie Allan and The Arrows - Blues Theme (vocal) , The Loser's Burial (Both from teh second Wild Angels'Soundtrack album. Both WELL under 2:00.

Suburban Lawns - Janitor , Mom and Dad and God , Intellectual Rock , and, well ,probably half their first and only LP , which still holds up today. OK , maybe it's more NOO WAVE than Punk.

Cichlids - Longtime bargain bin liners , who still warrant your attention. Their one LP is a pretty sturdy mix of Punk , NOO WAVE , and Garage , Bubblegum , and even Rockabilly influences (This was 1980. Almost NONE of that stuff was hip , yet.) . Very short songs include - Missionary Man , Bubble Gum , (Looking for a Good) Jewish Girl , and covers of "14 0r Fight" (Max Frost and The Troopers.) and "Ups and Downs" (Raiders.) ......They had very good taste in covers for the day (They also did "Ubangi Stomp" and "Boots' before the whole world did it....). But , they were lacking in "Punk cred" , being based in Florida (Even though The New York Dolls played their last shows , there.). They reformed a few years ago , there used to be some great footage from the shows on their myspace. Dunno if it's on youtube , now.......

Johnny Lurg said:

Nirvana - Mexican Seafood

Dicks - Lifetime Problems
      Operation Ivy - Jaded

The Monks - Drunken Maria

The (other) Monks - Nice Legs, Shame About Her Face

Secret Hate - The Ballad of Johnny Butt

Descendents - 'Merica

Dead Milkmen - Laundry Song, Gorilla Girl, Dean's Dream

The Dickies - Howdy Doody in the Woodshed

The Vandals - Anarchy Burger

The Reatards - Your So Lewd