Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• May 1, 2013 11:18 AM CDT
    • The April 21st 2013 show!  

Listen here: 
      http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20130421-0030-t13665...

The Setlist: 

eyes-   when the night falls
      the last word-   don't call me, I'll call you
      eric burdon and the animals-   hey gyp
      the hipster image-   can't let her go
      bobby bare-   detroit city
      jean shepard-   jeopardy
      jimmy oliver-   the sneak
      vampyros lesbos (soundtrack)-   the message
      pond-   elegant design
      the music machine-   the eagle never hunts the fly
      catharsis-   melba
      crazy elephant-   space buggy
      the kabbs-   down this road
      lost sounds-   no count
      lost sounds-   #18 sound
      patti smith-   space monkey
      black sabbath-   wicked world
      johnny thunders-   i can tell
      paul jones-   goin' back home
      ty segall-   skin
      ty segall-   booksmarts

• May 1, 2013 6:14 AM CDT
    • "David Comes to Life" and it's companion album "David's Town" both by Fucked Up.

• April 30, 2013 8:58 PM CDT
    • On the same bent then. Hazel O'connors fabulous 'Breaking Glass' would fit the mould. Sold as a movie soundtrack, its much more than that. It broke the mould for a lot of New wave bands over here. Taking the best parts from Devo and Talking Heads but giving it a very British feel. Phil Daniels who played Jimmy in the movie of Quadrophenia plays a great role (again). 

• April 30, 2013 8:17 PM CDT
    • Boy.....That's hard to say. I guess it's a "Rock Opera" as it's a Rock - oriented rendering of a Catholic mass. But , that was a new CONCEPT , before "God Rock'' and "Xian Punk" , etc. IN THE 70's , of course "Jesus Christ , Superstar" (W/Ian Gillan and Gary Glitter on the soundtrack LP.) AND "Godspell"'s success bridged the gap between the sacred and the secular, whether you liked 'em or not , making the world safe again for Jesus songs on the hit parade. The Electric Prunes (Tho' reportedly , their involvement was minimal.) deserve the credit , or , should I say , Dave Axelrod with James Lowe and one or two Electric Prunes, deserve credit for being there , first. IT'S BUILT ON A CONCEPT , I'D AGREE IT'S A CONCEPT ALBUM , IF (DEFINITELY) NOT A PUNK ALBUM......

Andy Climax said:

Does 'Mass in F Minor' the Electric Prunes count?

• April 30, 2013 8:07 PM CDT
    • "SF Sorrow" , today , is considered the first Rock Opera , predating "Tommy" , but , it's (very) late release and poor promotion meant it was buried under the weight of Tommy , though it would have undoubtedly been overshadowed , much more , by another LP being recorded at Abbey Road at the same time , had it not been released so late... "Sgt. Pepper".

But , "SF Sorrow" , for it's lush vocal and instrumental arrangements , is still a Rock'n'Roll record , just one that pushed the envelope and succeeded (Artistically.) , like "Forever Changes " (Which you might say was a concept album. I'm not decided on that .) , or that OTHER album recorded , at the same time , at Abbey Road , "The Piper at The Gates of Dawn". You're probably right on the money re. "Odyssey" , though , I admit , I don't even own a copy. I only started listening to The Zombies again fairly recently.

I've always agreed an album that tells a story , like "SF Sorrow" or "Tommy" could be labelled a Concept album , but , sometimes an album is just about a concept. THEN  it gets to be meandering.....But that's a crime Punk Rock has been guilty of , too.

dave said:

No Punk LPs come to mind, but for 60s punk there is the Zombies Odyssey and Oracle and the Pretty Things SF Sorrow. I think one of the unofficial tenets of Punk was 3 minute songs and not too much to think about (not a put-down). Too much in the way of concept might get in the way of enjoying yourself (this is for Yank-style Punk fun, pre-hardcore [don'cha start me talkin]).

• April 30, 2013 5:49 PM CDT
    • No Punk LPs come to mind, but for 60s punk there is the Zombies Odyssey and Oracle and the Pretty Things SF Sorrow. I think one of the unofficial tenets of Punk was 3 minute songs and not too much to think about (not a put-down). Too much in the way of concept might get in the way of enjoying yourself (this is for Yank-style Punk fun, pre-hardcore [don'cha start me talkin]).

• April 30, 2013 4:56 PM CDT
    • Does 'Mass in F Minor' the Electric Prunes count?

• April 30, 2013 4:36 PM CDT
    • THERE'VE BEEN PARODIES OF CONCEPT ALBUMS , PERFORMED BY PUNK , OR PASSING FOR PUNK BANDS....But , there's maybe a thin line between the "Concept Album" and the "Rock Opera " in the opinions of many....I've always thought there was , but , I could be dead wrong.

I'll have to think about that one.....There's got to be a few that fit the bill.

• April 29, 2013 1:03 PM CDT
    • Concept albums are seen by most to be the property of the 60's / 70's rock bands and supergroups. I suppose a lot of the classical composers that Steve Jones famously said 'But they're dead' of, can also be seen as conceptual artists. Does anyone in here know any punk albums or groups that could be seen as a dreaded 'concept'? I've thrown one in to get started.

• April 30, 2013 7:50 AM CDT
    • I just bought this movie via Amazon's video on demand, and I just noticed something horrifying about it...the main character looks a lot like the Boston Marathon bomber.

• April 30, 2013 7:47 AM CDT
    • BTW, that movie never showed up at the Oaks.

MikeL said:

I had to go to a cinema located in a mall that's pretty out of the way for me, and I went during its opening weekend because I was afraid it wouldn't be playing there the following weekend. Now that I did that, it will probably show up at the Oaks Theatre, which is really close to where I live.

John Battles said:

Seems like it already came and went , here. We have ONE second - run theatre that I know of . Maybe they'll show it.

• April 30, 2013 2:55 AM CDT
    • I'm usually not a big hard rock fan, but I like the lo-fi sound, punk energy and b-movie image of Satan's Satyrs.

• April 29, 2013 4:00 PM CDT
    • It's not a household name to me , but , then , I live alone. Sure gives me faith in my own guitar skills. I like parts of it.

Andy Climax said:

These guys are probably household names wi you guys over the pond, but a friend just ailed me these guys new album. Never heard of them before. Lovely

• April 29, 2013 3:59 PM CDT
    • Hey! I really like how they sounds!!! Thanx Andy! 
      (reminds me of White Zombies or slow-moving Ministry)

Andy Climax said:

Debut album out next month. stunning live set. Enjoy!!!

• April 29, 2013 3:49 PM CDT
    • ...which could be pretty convenient on hard times! :)

Chris Henniker said:

Just got hold of a copy, which really is brilliant. I love every song on it. You don't need to drop acid for this one, as it is acid. ACcccccciiiiiiiid!

Tersicore said:

Chris, I owe you one!! 

This is the kind of shit a really like to discover now and again! :)
      Is this the same band, really? Hard to believe!
      AAAAAaacccccciiiiiiiiiiiiiddddddddddd!  

Chris Henniker said:

How about some curried Goat, laced with Acid naturally? I heard them in Rough Trade while getting Mum & Dad's Christmas presents.

• April 29, 2013 8:56 PM CDT
    • ...and , I think it's "Kill a Mod". But , can a song be considered a Hate Crime ? At worst , I think a song that's actually about Hate Crimes could be interpreted , obviously , as Hate Crime propaganda , BUT , YOU  WOULD HAVE TO BE A NO - LIFE HAVING , WORTHLESS SACK OF SHIT TO BEGIN WITH , TO ATTACK SOMEBODY FOR NOT DRESSING LIKE YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS , IF YOU EVEN HAVE ANY , THEN HIDE BEHIND A SONG , SHOULD YOU GET CAUGHT....    

John Battles said:

you might have something , there.

Chris Henniker said:

I even wonder whether The Exploited would ever be prosecuted under the new proposals to treat assaults on subcultures as hate crimes for songs like "Kill A Mod". That would be ironic, as the Sophie Lancaster campaign was aimed at raising awareness of "alternative" cultures and calling for recognition of attacks on punks, goths, hippies , etch, as a hate crime.

• April 29, 2013 8:48 PM CDT
    • you might have something , there.

Chris Henniker said:

I even wonder whether The Exploited would ever be prosecuted under the new proposals to treat assaults on subcultures as hate crimes for songs like "Kill A Mod". That would be ironic, as the Sophie Lancaster campaign was aimed at raising awareness of "alternative" cultures and calling for recognition of attacks on punks, goths, hippies , etch, as a hate crime.

• April 29, 2013 12:29 PM CDT
    • I even wonder whether The Exploited would ever be prosecuted under the new proposals to treat assaults on subcultures as hate crimes for songs like "Kill A Mod". That would be ironic, as the Sophie Lancaster campaign was aimed at raising awareness of "alternative" cultures and calling for recognition of attacks on punks, goths, hippies , etch, as a hate crime.

• April 29, 2013 4:21 PM CDT
    • OK , 5 tries , and I got it to play. Was'nt expecting a verbatim reading , in costume. I guess I expected to hear " Beethoven can't meet our standards  , because he's not yet been born !".      Kidding.  It's the deadpan nature of their delivery that makes this funny.

John Battles said:

I've seen the Grundy disection. It IS pretty funny. The Amish Sex Pistols thing registered as one second long. I'll try it again , later. OR.....could it be , since they were living as if it were 400 years ago , this could not exist? Sorry , that was lame. Kaiser George was in a band called The Scottish Sex Pistols ! I asked him if they performed "God Save The Queen" as "SCOTLAND THE BRAVE !! THEY MADE US ALL SLAVES!!". He said , "NO! But I wish we HAD !"

Andy Climax said:

Kevin Eldon's brilliant take on the Sex Pistols, Bill Grundy interview. Chris Morris couldnae have done it any better. Enjoy

• April 29, 2013 4:15 PM CDT
    • I've seen the Grundy disection. It IS pretty funny. The Amish Sex Pistols thing registered as one second long. I'll try it again , later. OR.....could it be , since they were living as if it were 400 years ago , this could not exist? Sorry , that was lame. Kaiser George was in a band called The Scottish Sex Pistols ! I asked him if they performed "God Save The Queen" as "SCOTLAND THE BRAVE !! THEY MADE US ALL SLAVES!!". He said , "NO! But I wish we HAD !"

Andy Climax said:

Kevin Eldon's brilliant take on the Sex Pistols, Bill Grundy interview. Chris Morris couldnae have done it any better. Enjoy

• April 29, 2013 3:42 PM CDT
    • BRMC caught at totally the wrong time. This guy was passing them and thought he would get a real scoop. Brilliant. Either pissed or stoned...or both.

• April 29, 2013 3:26 PM CDT
    • Kevin Eldon's brilliant take on the Sex Pistols, Bill Grundy interview. Chris Morris couldnae have done it any better. Enjoy

• April 29, 2013 3:39 PM CDT
    • Yep,
      Tuscany is one of the most beautiful Region to have a holiday! So much to visit!
      and around there, are beautiful beaches too. Maybe you could come next year!?!
      Would be fun!! :) 

melissa scott said:

Damn -- garage/surf in Italy in the summer? How much fun is THAT? *pout* No can go! *double pout*

• April 29, 2013 3:26 PM CDT
    • Yippee!!
      Flights are booked, can´t wait to see all this cool bands and be back in Tuscany!
      My paypal-account got finally unlocked and was able to donate something as well.
      What a pity, so few supporter... and only one day left!!
      Please, help if you can! <3  

Tersicore said:

Well, this year i won´t miss the Surfer Joe Summer Festival in Italy! 

Can´t wait to see The Apeman!! but the other bands too! :)

That´s so cool! The three days for Free! I guess i´m gonna donate something!
      hope to meet some of you there!