Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 20, 2013 6:22 AM CDT
    • I will be doing my garage-punk radio show from 1:00-3:00 PM EST on Saturday April 20th.  You can listen on 89.7 WITR-FM in Rochester, NY or streaming live at http://witr.rit.edu .

• April 20, 2013 6:19 AM CDT
    • Also maybe not punk rock as such, but a protest song nonetheless and one that came out of the Tory government that set Britain back about a decade in terms of tolerance. 

My favourite haha!

And there's an Exploited song giving one of their typically insightful political views in a barely audiable vocal track. Maggie You Cunt. It's kinda funny because those guys are pretty right wing, Wattie was a squaddie and punk aside would have looked on paper like a typical Tory supporter in the 80s.

• April 19, 2013 2:41 PM CDT
    • B.B. Fultz , It's also the way the guy says "MAN , YOU CAN'T STAND ANY LONGER!!!!".

Yeah , the LSD reference was sort of swept under the rug.
      It sounds like he's saying "ah said !" which was probably intentional....I don't know if the song was blatantly anti - drug , but , it did seem like it was making fun of the drug culture at the time. I picked up the reissue CD , hoping it  would be more like The Driving Stupid CD , which it is'nt. I need to listen to it , again..... It's like "That's Queer" , which is'nt an anti or pro Gay song at all , but the lyrics are outrageous , with their own acid reference "When I take a sip of cocoa , and pretty soon , I'm feelin' free. And when  I asked him how he made it , he made it out of LSD....THAT'S QUEER!". That ranks up there with "Horror Asparagus Stories" and "SPAZZ" TO ME. It's so important , I think , to be able to laugh at the card that's been dealt us , you know? Many years ago , I turned a friend on to Blue Cheer's first two albums. My friend was commited to a Mental Hospital around that time , and told me "Out of Focus" ( By no means a funny song) got her through it.

Another guy I once knew , predictably , said 'Institutionalized" by Suicidal Tendencies got him through a stretch in the institution. That's pretty funny! His parents did'nt think so. 
      B.B. Fultz said:

Oh christ is that what he's saying? I could never figure that one out. I do remember someone from The Elastik Band saying the song was, to some extent, an anti-drug song, how if you do a lot of drugs you'll end up acting like a "spazz" and people will make fun of you for it. Going by that, the acid-lyric you mentioned makes perfect sense. It seems to be more about that type of spazz than the spastic type of spazz. Although in a weird sorta way I still think of it as my theme song.

I think the stand and stand lyric mainly cracks me up because it's not even a complete lyric, it doesn't even TRY to rhyme ... it's just standing and standing until ... yeah, so what happened? Whadda ya mean, "what happened?" The poor guy couldn't friggin' stand any longer! 

I dunno, that just kills me deader than disco. But then I'm easily amused. XD

John Battles said:

That's really interesting , if you don't mind me saying....That  you totally get the humor of that song , after what you'd been through. I've known people in similar situations who also laughed at songs pertaining to their conditions . My favorite line in "Spazz" is "You're pretty shook up so you 're gonna get a cup of water just to calm you down , when some joker's gonna slip you L....S....D !!! ACID !!!  HEY ! You know it was'nt mother's tea. That's right , uh- huh."

B.B. Fultz said:

Spazz is my favorite Nugget, my favorite "garage rock" song, and one of the coolest songs ever made by anybody. Anywhere. Ever.

It also gets my vote for the funniest lyric of all time : "Well you wanna sit down but you know some clown is gonna try and pull away your chair ... so you stand and stand ... stand and stand until ... man, you can't stand any longer!"

I mean what can you say after that? I've tried at least a hundred times to sing along to that part without laughing. I just can't do it. Having the remnants of a childhood spastic condition myself just makes the whole song even funnier.

• April 19, 2013 7:17 AM CDT
    • Oh christ is that what he's saying? I could never figure that one out. I do remember someone from The Elastik Band saying the song was, to some extent, an anti-drug song, how if you do a lot of drugs you'll end up acting like a "spazz" and people will make fun of you for it. Going by that, the acid-lyric you mentioned makes perfect sense. It seems to be more about that type of spazz than the spastic type of spazz. Although in a weird sorta way I still think of it as my theme song.

I think the stand and stand lyric mainly cracks me up because it's not even a complete lyric, it doesn't even TRY to rhyme ... it's just standing and standing until ... yeah, so what happened? Whadda ya mean, "what happened?" The poor guy couldn't friggin' stand any longer! 

I dunno, that just kills me deader than disco. But then I'm easily amused. XD

John Battles said:

That's really interesting , if you don't mind me saying....That  you totally get the humor of that song , after what you'd been through. I've known people in similar situations who also laughed at songs pertaining to their conditions . My favorite line in "Spazz" is "You're pretty shook up so you 're gonna get a cup of water just to calm you down , when some joker's gonna slip you L....S....D !!! ACID !!!  HEY ! You know it was'nt mother's tea. That's right , uh- huh."

B.B. Fultz said:

Spazz is my favorite Nugget, my favorite "garage rock" song, and one of the coolest songs ever made by anybody. Anywhere. Ever.

It also gets my vote for the funniest lyric of all time : "Well you wanna sit down but you know some clown is gonna try and pull away your chair ... so you stand and stand ... stand and stand until ... man, you can't stand any longer!"

I mean what can you say after that? I've tried at least a hundred times to sing along to that part without laughing. I just can't do it. Having the remnants of a childhood spastic condition myself just makes the whole song even funnier.

• April 18, 2013 9:57 PM CDT
    • I THINK "bROWN sUGAR" MUST have offended people at the time , now , we're all kind of used to it. Jagger tried to push the envelope a little harder by singing "Just like a young BOY should", when he'd sing it , live.

Bibliodiscoteque said:

Did we fail to mention Brown Sugar or did I miss it? 

Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields,
      Sold in a market down in new orleans.
      Scarred old slaver know he's doin alright.
      Hear him whip the women just around midnight.
      Ah brown sugar how come you taste so good
      (a-ha) brown sugar, just like a young girl should

James Porter said:

John Battles sez: "It's funny that "Satisfaction" was sometimes censored , yet Jagger throws in the "B" word twice on ("Stupid Girl")"

They probably got away with that because "Stupid Girl" was just an album cut. At a time when radio stations were singles-oriented and rarely played album tracks, that was what made the difference.

• April 18, 2013 9:54 PM CDT
    • That's really interesting , if you don't mind me saying....That  you totally get the humor of that song , after what you'd been through. I've known people in similar situations who also laughed at songs pertaining to their conditions . My favorite line in "Spazz" is "You're pretty shook up so you 're gonna get a cup of water just to calm you down , when some joker's gonna slip you L....S....D !!! ACID !!!  HEY ! You know it was'nt mother's tea. That's right , uh- huh."

B.B. Fultz said:

• April 18, 2013 6:17 PM CDT
    • Although if you really want something to offend the mindless P.C. types, a better bet would be Spinal Meningitus Got Me Down by Ween. A song that's rumored to have caused lemming-like mass suicide marches by the less humorously-attuned among us.

• April 18, 2013 6:06 PM CDT
    • Spazz is my favorite Nugget, my favorite "garage rock" song, and one of the coolest songs ever made by anybody. Anywhere. Ever.

• April 18, 2013 1:56 PM CDT
    • My thoughts exactly , but , it's still kind of funy , as "Satisfaction" was only semi - intelligible , and the biggest controversy ("I'm on a losing streak..." ) was probably , more often than not , taken literally , like , the guy gets turned down because HE's on a losing streak...But , we've talked about it before, just the fact that they used the words "Bitches" at the time , even if it was'nt an album cut ("Stupid Girl") , it's a wonder it got on the record......

James Porter said:

John Battles sez: "It's funny that "Satisfaction" was sometimes censored , yet Jagger throws in the "B" word twice on ("Stupid Girl")"

They probably got away with that because "Stupid Girl" was just an album cut. At a time when radio stations were singles-oriented and rarely played album tracks, that was what made the difference.

• April 19, 2013 12:36 PM CDT
    • oh happy day

• April 19, 2013 11:12 AM CDT
    • Waiting with bated breath. 

• April 19, 2013 10:46 AM CDT
    • Pushed back to June now?! C'mon!

• April 19, 2013 2:18 AM CDT
    • John Battles already explained why earlier, but here's my own Holy Trinity :

1956, 1966 and 1976 !!!

• April 18, 2013 6:27 PM CDT
    • "Have you taken a La Luz listen yet? You should! Their sunny tunes will make you feel you're like surfing through a mellow ocean of golden tears with the Ronettes." -via the Stranger

• April 18, 2013 4:40 PM CDT
    • Still no answer to this question??  pity...  

very interesting lists...
      wouldlovetogetaswell!!

• April 18, 2013 1:51 PM CDT
    • YEAH , That album would have been all right , were it not for Geddy Lee's singing. They tried to do a stripped down productions and arrangements (For them), otherwise , but you still got ol' helium - hittin' Lee's vocals.....Anyone who had a problem with "Acid Eaters" should try to sit thru this album , which contained many of the same songs(I forgot  the title , sorry.)

king bee said:

• April 18, 2013 1:10 PM CDT
    • Hello:

I have collected 45's, acetates, demos, and 7' tapes from various garage bands from the central San Joaquin Valley during the 1960's.  Most never recorded anything on vinyl and if they did it was regional.  My collection now numbers over 160 tracks with photos.  You can take a look at www.thebrymers.com.  Then, click on the San Joaquin Valley Bands tab.  soem great garage sounds came in and around the Fresno area during the 60's.

Dick Lee

• April 17, 2013 3:40 PM CDT
    • Not garage as such, but a friend of ours has been creating "Punk Across The Globe" compilations. I think he's done about 6 of them so far.

• April 17, 2013 3:19 PM CDT
    • Also check out the Colorado garage/punk compilation Rocky Mountain Low, which among many other interesting gems has four songs by the Healers, Jello Biafra's band before the Dead Kennedys, including the original version of "California Uber Alles."

• April 17, 2013 9:10 PM CDT
    • This week's program featured music from Mudhoney, Johnny Cash, Paul Revere & The Raiders, Big Black, Wreckless Eric, The Gruesomes and more. 

Listen/download this weeks podcast here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20130416-1030-t1366104601.mp3

Check out this week's blog post on Mudhoney's Vanishing Point here:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2013/04/mudhoneys-vanishing-point-show-451.html

The Play List:

1.  Paul Revere & The Raiders – Steppin’ Out
      2.  Chit Chat – Jelly
      3.  Tom Waits - Chicago
      4.  Captain Beefheart - Ella Guru
      5.  Syd Barrett - Octopus
      6.  Colleen Green – Only You
      7.  Japandroids - Fire's Highway
      8.  Mudhoney - I Like It Small
      9.  Mudhoney - Chardonnay
      10. Johnny Cash – Remember The Alamo
      11. Cellos – Feeding Through The Breathing Tube
      12. Iceage - You're Nothing
      13. Mission of Burma - New Nail
      14. Big Black - Jordan Minesota
      16. Sloan - Emergency 911
      17.  Deja Voodoo – Gotta Have Money
      18. The Revolvers – Apocalypse Surfin’
      19. Suuns - 20/20
      20. Unicorns - I Was Born A Unicorn
      21. Shotgun Jimmie - 3012
      22. Simply Saucer - Instant Pleasure
      23. Wreckless Eric - A Pop Song
      24. The Gruesomes – The Deal

• April 17, 2013 6:17 PM CDT
    • I use Labella Deep Talkin' Flats on my bass.. i roll my tone knob back to about 5/6 on my bass too.. i push my mids on my ampeg to cut through a bit better..

Ayres