Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 10, 2013 9:25 AM CDT
    • "Lyres Lyres"!!! Ok, '85 but was so good!

John Battles said:

Devil's Advocate sez  1986 was'nt too shabby , either.

Cramps - A Date With Elvis.

Roky Erickson - Don't Slander Me.

Pandoras - Stop Pretending.

Link Wray - Live in 85.

Fleshtones - Fleshtones Vs. Reality.

Lithium Xmas -Aneurysm (And the pre - Nirvana debut of their version of "Love Buzz " by The Shocking Blue.).

Ramones - Animal Boy (Some of us were glad there was an album and a tour.).

Motorhead - Orgasmatron (Ditto.) .

Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy and US imports of their first singles.

Washington Dead Cats - Horror Stories from The Washington Dead Cats.

Rockabilly Psychosis and The Garage Disease (Comp. Possibly '85.)

Revenge of The Killer Pussies (Same).

Teddy and The Tall Tops - On The Line EP.

Screamin' Jay Hawkins with The Fuzztones - Live EP.

? and The Mysterians - Live , Dallas , '84.

Sky "Sunlight" Saxon and Firewall "Destiny's Children" (It was STILL better than what most "Straight''artists were coming up with in the REM afterbirth.).

Vile Vinyl , VOL. 1 AND 2  (Comps.)

Fuzzbox - Bostin' Steve Austin/We've Got a Fuzzbox and We're Gonna USE It. (US/UK. Possibly  '86 and 87.).

Paladins - Debut on Wrestler.

Dwight Yoakum - Guitars , Cadillacs , etc.(It sounded fresh at the time.).

Best shows - Ramones , Divine Horsemen , Plan 9 , Pandoras , Motorhead , Carl Perkins , Blasters , Screamin' Jay Hawkins , John Lee Hooker , (early) Rev. Horton Heat , Ragin' Fire , Voodoo Idols , Bo Diddley , Paladins , Teddy and The Tall Tops , Lithium Xmas , Peyote Cowboys , Shitty Beatles , Mel Coolies ,

Hell , even The Butthole Surfers were still turning in good shows.

Best tour that passed my town - Cramps.

Worst shows - Red Hot Chili Peppers , Flaming Lips , Stickmen with Rayguns .

Not bad and not great - Johnny Thunders , Sid and Billy King.

• April 10, 2013 9:22 AM CDT
    • If we talk about most intense rock 'n roll years on the personal side, I like to mention '93 at least for the Graspop festival in Belgium I attended, featuring THE CRAMPS AND THE RAMONES. How much would we pay for such a night now?! Was I fully conscious of my chance?..

MikeL said:

2004 was my best year ever for rock'n'roll. I discovered a cool new band that year (the Charms); a band that I discovered the previous year (Manda and the Marbles) played here in Pittsburgh a couple of times, and they had a CD release party in their hometown of Columbus, OH, which I attended; a new local band at the time (the Breakup Society) released a cool debut CD; the Cynics played a couple of local gigs; a couple of bands that I discovered a few years earlier (Cobra Verde and the Paybacks) played here at the 31st Street Pub; a favorite local punk band that broke up a few years before (the Ultimatics) did a one off reunion show at the Pub; I saw both the Darkness and David Bowie in concert; I attended LSUG's Battle of the Bands and the festival at Randall's Island in NYC; I saw the Gore Gore Girls a couple of times here in Pittsburgh when they had that really cute bass player Jen "Deuce" Pirch; I saw the Ramones' documentary "End of the Century." And that's pretty much it. I guess all the stars lined up perfectly that year, and I'll probably never have another year like that again, which saddens me.

• April 10, 2013 9:17 AM CDT
    • You're right, just listen to the "Bad part of town" by the Bare Facts... THAT'S the '66 sound, my friends!

John Battles said:

'66 , THE YEAR OF OUR LORD , THE BATMAN , IS HARD TO DISPUTE.

I played at this big Punk festival (Actually , I played at the after - party.) , commemorating the 30th Anniversary of Punk , in 2006.  I told the remaining few that 1966 was The Year Punk Broke.

• April 10, 2013 12:33 AM CDT
    • 2099:

Prince will re-release his timeless hit...

• April 9, 2013 5:16 PM CDT
    • Devil's Advocate sez  1986 was'nt too shabby , either.

Cramps - A Date With Elvis.

Roky Erickson - Don't Slander Me.

Pandoras - Stop Pretending.

Link Wray - Live in 85.

Fleshtones - Fleshtones Vs. Reality.

Lithium Xmas -Aneurysm (And the pre - Nirvana debut of their version of "Love Buzz " by The Shocking Blue.).

Ramones - Animal Boy (Some of us were glad there was an album and a tour.).

Motorhead - Orgasmatron (Ditto.) .

Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy and US imports of their first singles.

Washington Dead Cats - Horror Stories from The Washington Dead Cats.

Rockabilly Psychosis and The Garage Disease (Comp. Possibly '85.)

Revenge of The Killer Pussies (Same).

Teddy and The Tall Tops - On The Line EP.

Screamin' Jay Hawkins with The Fuzztones - Live EP.

? and The Mysterians - Live , Dallas , '84.

Sky "Sunlight" Saxon and Firewall "Destiny's Children" (It was STILL better than what most "Straight''artists were coming up with in the REM afterbirth.).

Vile Vinyl , VOL. 1 AND 2  (Comps.)

Fuzzbox - Bostin' Steve Austin/We've Got a Fuzzbox and We're Gonna USE It. (US/UK. Possibly  '86 and 87.).

Paladins - Debut on Wrestler.

Dwight Yoakum - Guitars , Cadillacs , etc.(It sounded fresh at the time.).

Best shows - Ramones , Divine Horsemen , Plan 9 , Pandoras , Motorhead , Carl Perkins , Blasters , Screamin' Jay Hawkins , John Lee Hooker , (early) Rev. Horton Heat , Ragin' Fire , Voodoo Idols , Bo Diddley , Paladins , Teddy and The Tall Tops , Lithium Xmas , Peyote Cowboys , Shitty Beatles , Mel Coolies ,

Hell , even The Butthole Surfers were still turning in good shows.

Best tour that passed my town - Cramps.

Worst shows - Red Hot Chili Peppers , Flaming Lips , Stickmen with Rayguns .

Not bad and not great - Johnny Thunders , Sid and Billy King.

• April 9, 2013 2:56 PM CDT
    • 2004 was my best year ever for rock'n'roll. I discovered a cool new band that year (the Charms); a band that I discovered the previous year (Manda and the Marbles) played here in Pittsburgh a couple of times, and they had a CD release party in their hometown of Columbus, OH, which I attended; a new local band at the time (the Breakup Society) released a cool debut CD; the Cynics played a couple of local gigs; a couple of bands that I discovered a few years earlier (Cobra Verde and the Paybacks) played here at the 31st Street Pub; a favorite local punk band that broke up a few years before (the Ultimatics) did a one off reunion show at the Pub; I saw both the Darkness and David Bowie in concert; I attended LSUG's Battle of the Bands and the festival at Randall's Island in NYC; I saw the Gore Gore Girls a couple of times here in Pittsburgh when they had that really cute bass player Jen "Deuce" Pirch; I saw the Ramones' documentary "End of the Century." And that's pretty much it. I guess all the stars lined up perfectly that year, and I'll probably never have another year like that again, which saddens me.

• April 10, 2013 5:01 AM CDT
    • haha..thanks

MikeL said:

According to the liner notes, they were from NYC, but they recorded in Cleveland.

Mottey's Garage said:

I 'm bout due for another glam show ...any day now...As for Pandora...freaking awesome.  One of the best lost glam albums of all time. Although, I thought they were from Cleveland...but I,m not sure. 

• April 10, 2013 4:45 AM CDT
    • According to the liner notes, they were from NYC, but they recorded in Cleveland.

Mottey's Garage said:

I 'm bout due for another glam show ...any day now...As for Pandora...freaking awesome.  One of the best lost glam albums of all time. Although, I thought they were from Cleveland...but I,m not sure. 

• April 9, 2013 8:10 PM CDT
    • New Bowie? Well...I guess its ok and all, great to hear his voice...but I really wish it was the return of Ziggy

• April 9, 2013 8:08 PM CDT
    • holy shit...great great playlist...how bout a rerun 
      Joanie Lindstrom said:

This was my playlist when we did the special glam show on WMBR (which sigh, I don't think any of you listened to). Some obscure stuff, some not. Jobriath is def. on the arty side of things.

10:01  The Sweet | Wig Wam Bam clip | s/t [LP] (Bell, 73)

10:02  The Glitter Band  Rock On | Solid Silver: The ultimate glitter band vol 1 [CD] (Edsel, 73/98)

10:05  The Heavy Dwarfs | Moeder Natur | Clap Your Hands and Stamp Your Feet comp [CD] (Excels, 73/09)

10:06  Kim Fowley | King of Love | International Hero [LP] (Capitol, 73)

10:10  The Rubettes | Rock is Dead | s/t [LP] (Amiga, 75)

10:13  Hanoi Rocks | High School | Two Steps from the Move [LP] (Epic, 84)

10:19  Chicory Tip | Cigarettes, Women and Wine | The Singles Collection [CD] (Cherry Red, 78/07)

10:23  Jook | Bish Bash Bosh | Different Class [CD] | (RPM, 74//05)

10:24  Mick Ronson | Only After Dark | Slaughter on 10th Avenue [LP] (RCA, 74)

10:29  Alistair Riddell | And Up to Now | Space Waltz [CD] (RPM, 74/05)

10:31  New York Dolls | Jet Boy | s/t [LP] (Mercury, 73)

10:36  The Sensation | Black Eyed Woman | Boobs comp [CD] (RPM, 73/05)

10:42  The Frenchies | Dillinger | s/t [LP] (Harvest, 74)

10:46  The Switches | Drama Queen | Lay Down the Law [CD] (Interscope, 08)

10:49  Queen | Keep Yourself Alive |  s/t [LP] (Chrysalis, 73)

10:57  Cockney Rebel | What Ruthy Said | The Human Menagerie [LP] (Capitol, 73)

10:59  Suzi Quatro | Glycerine Queen | s/t [LP] (Bell, 74)  [req x 2]

11:02  Jobriath | Good Time | Creatures of the Street [LP] (Elektra, 74)

11:06  Mott the Hoople | Jerkin Crokus | All the Young Dudes [LP] (Columbia, 72)

11:09  David Werner | Aggravation Non Stop | Imagination Quota [LP] (RCA, 75)

11:14  Arrows | Love Rider | A's, B's & Rarities [CD] (EMI, ?/04)

11:20  Bearded Lady | Rock Star | Velvet Tinmine comp [CD] (RPM, 75/03)

11:22  Zolar X | Timeless | Timeless [CD] (Alternative Tentacles, 76/04)

11:25  Eno | Blank Frank | Here Come the Warm Jets [LP] (Editions, 73)

11:26  Sparks | Underground | Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing [LP] (Bearsville, 73)

11:30  Vodka Collins | Monitor | Tokyo New York [CD] (Man's Ruin, 73/98)

11:33  Lou Reed | Satellite of Love | Transformer [LP] (RCA, 73)

11:38  Hollywood Brats | Another School Day | s/t [CD] (Cherry Red, 74/94)

11:38  Jet | Lady Ricochet | Even More Light than Shade [CD] (RPM, 75/10)

11:41  The Sweet | Blockbuster | s/t [LP] (Bell, 73)

11:44  Spunky Spider | You Won't Come | Glitterbest comp [CD] (RPM, 73/04)

11:49  Abacus | Indian Dancer | Blitzing the Ballroom comp: 20 UK Power Glam Incendiaries comp [CD] (Psychic Circle, 74/08)

11:50  David Bowie | Lady Stardust | The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars [LP] (RCA, 72)

11:54  British Lions | One More Chance to Run | All the Young Dudes comp [CD] (Mojo, 77/09)

11:57  Alice Cooper | Ballad of Dwight Fry | Love It To Death [LP] (Straight, 70)

• April 9, 2013 8:05 PM CDT
    • Holy Shit...we demand a rerun...great great playlist

Joanie Lindstrom said:

This was my playlist when we did the special glam show on WMBR (which sigh, I don't think any of you listened to). Some obscure stuff, some not. Jobriath is def. on the arty side of things.

10:02  The Glitter Band  Rock On | Solid Silver: The ultimate glitter band vol 1 [CD] (Edsel, 73/98)

10:05  The Heavy Dwarfs | Moeder Natur | Clap Your Hands and Stamp Your Feet comp [CD] (Excels, 73/09)

10:19  Chicory Tip | Cigarettes, Women and Wine | The Singles Collection [CD] (Cherry Red, 78/07)

11:06  Mott the Hoople | Jerkin Crokus | All the Young Dudes [LP] (Columbia, 72)

11:26  Sparks | Underground | Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing [LP] (Bearsville, 73)

11:49  Abacus | Indian Dancer | Blitzing the Ballroom comp: 20 UK Power Glam Incendiaries comp [CD] (Psychic Circle, 74/08)

11:50  David Bowie | Lady Stardust | The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars [LP] (RCA, 72)

11:54  British Lions | One More Chance to Run | All the Young Dudes comp [CD] (Mojo, 77/09)

11:57  Alice Cooper | Ballad of Dwight Fry | Love It To Death [LP] (Straight, 70)

• April 9, 2013 8:02 PM CDT
    • I 'm bout due for another glam show ...any day now...As for Pandora...freaking awesome.  One of the best lost glam albums of all time. Although, I thought they were from Cleveland...but I,m not sure. 

• April 9, 2013 3:53 PM CDT
    • MikeL , YOU'RE NEARING THE 300 MARK , HERE , MAN . I think that's like getting a Gold Record around here.

Ummmmmm.....Glam related stuff. One is advised to seek out the earlier version of "Saturday Night" by The Bay City Rollers , from '72 , I think. No  foolin' , more of a Boot Boy Stomp than the version that made it, here. "S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y - MATE !!!!". I think it was only a hit in Germany.

• April 9, 2013 3:35 PM CDT
    • I'm very sorry I missed your radio program. I do remember getting my invite, but I think it may have been on at a bad time for me. Is there a podcast available?

I myself am quite amazed at how long this discussion has gone on. Just when I forgot that I even started it, someone posts something new.

Joanie Lindstrom said:

No problem, this thing's been going on so long, who can remember what anyone said 2 years ago. I just wish people had tuned in to my (and my friend Sara's) glam specials cuz we played all sorts of stuff and I think the topic had started shortly before the shows. Anyway, rock on. I bought the new Bowie, we'll see how he's sounding these days.

• April 9, 2013 3:31 PM CDT
    • No problem, this thing's been going on so long, who can remember what anyone said 2 years ago. I just wish people had tuned in to my (and my friend Sara's) glam specials cuz we played all sorts of stuff and I think the topic had started shortly before the shows. Anyway, rock on. I bought the new Bowie, we'll see how he's sounding these days.

• April 9, 2013 3:28 PM CDT
    • Ah, here we go. One of the earliest responses I got. Thanks again, Joanie:)

Joanie Lindstrom said:

Don't forget some of the more obscure stuff on the Velvet Tinmine, Boobs and Glitterbest comps.

• April 9, 2013 3:26 PM CDT
    • BTW, thanks for letting me know about "Clap Your Hands Stomp Your Feet."

MikeL said:

Sorry I didn't check first:( Thanks for letting people know back then, and I also ordered "Boobs" and "Glitterbest."

Joanie Lindstrom said:

I know this thread is wicked long but I mentioned that ages ago.  Also the comps Boobs, Glitterbest and Clap Your Hands Stomp Your Feet. And Mojo put out a glam comp and there's one called 20 UK Power Glam Incendiaries on the Psychic Circle label.

• April 9, 2013 3:18 PM CDT
    • Sorry I didn't check first:( Thanks for letting people know back then, and I also ordered "Boobs" and "Glitterbest."

Joanie Lindstrom said:

I know this thread is wicked long but I mentioned that ages ago.  Also the comps Boobs, Glitterbest and Clap Your Hands Stomp Your Feet. And Mojo put out a glam comp and there's one called 20 UK Power Glam Incendiaries on the Psychic Circle label.

• April 9, 2013 3:16 PM CDT
    • This was my playlist when we did the special glam show on WMBR (which sigh, I don't think any of you listened to). Some obscure stuff, some not. Jobriath is def. on the arty side of things.

• April 9, 2013 3:14 PM CDT
    • I know this thread is wicked long but I mentioned that ages ago.  Also the comps Boobs, Glitterbest and Clap Your Hands Stomp Your Feet. And Mojo put out a glam comp and there's one called 20 UK Power Glam Incendiaries on the Psychic Circle label.

• April 9, 2013 3:14 PM CDT
    • Can anyone suggest obscure stuff from the arty side of glam, as I know of Bowie, etc?

• April 9, 2013 3:10 PM CDT
    • Anyone here familiar with a compilation titled "Velvet Tinmine"? It is a collection of songs by lesser known glam rock bands, and it is really cool. If you like the bubblegum wing of glam rock, this one is for you.

On a similar note, has anyone here ever heard of a band called Pandora? They were a New York glam band from the early 70s that managed to record a bunch of demos that were finally released by Arf Arf Records in 1997. Their sound is more hard rocking, kind of like Bowie meets Zeppelin.

Anyway, I found out about "Velvet Tinmine" and Pandora by reading Dave Thompson's excellent book, "Children of the Revolution: The Glam Rock Story."

• April 10, 2013 12:41 AM CDT
    • 'Baby I love you' is a pretty fresh tune. Phil Spectors stench all over it... 

• April 9, 2013 10:56 PM CDT
    • This week's program featured music from Thee Oh Sees, The Black Angels, Husker Du, Velvet Underground, Ramones and more. 

Listen/downlod this weeks podcast here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20130409-1030-t1365499800.mp3

Check out my blog post on The Black Angels Indigo Meadow here:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2013/04/the-black-angels-go-indigo-show-450.html

The Play List:

1.  Thee Oh Sees – Toe Cutter Thumb Butter
      2.  Brazilian Money – Slowly Soaking Up Some Rays On A Sofa
      3.  The Fabulous St. Knicholas Cage – Bloody Beach Blanket
      4.  Future of The Left - Stand By Your Manatee
      5.  Anagram - Favourite Place
      6.  PIssed Jeans - Cafeteria Food
      7.  Woodsman Orphan – One Year
      8.  Velvet Underground - I Found A Reason
      9.  Deerhunter - Memory Boy
      10. Husker Du – Girl Who Lives On In Heaven Hill
      11. Orphan Choir – New Rituals
      12. The Action – Downtown Boy
      13. The Demics – The Grey And The Black
      14. Ramones – She's The One
      15. X-Ray Spex - Germ Free Adolescents
      16. Gang of Four – Ether (Live The Second Chance, Ann Arbor, MI 1981)
      17. Sam Coffey & The Iron Lungs – Do Ya Feel It Too?
      18. Doldrums - Sunrise
      19. Patti Smith Group - Distant Fingers
      20. Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out
      21. Black Angels – Indigo Meadow
      22. Black Angels - Evil Things
      23. Black Angels – The Day

• April 9, 2013 7:35 PM CDT
    • IS THERE A COVER OF A GARAGE ROCK CLASSIC OR OBSCURITY , OR BOTH , THAT WAS SO BAD YOU EITHER LOVED OR LOATHED IT?  The example I always fall back on is Pop Music Will Eat Itself's "Beaver Patrol". I thought , THIS guy's with The Beaver Patrol? HA!

Cynthia Plastercaster later confirmed that he was her biggest casting yet , including Jimi Hendrix. So , I guess he knew what he was talking about , even tho' I still lean toward "Loathe" on that version.