Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 9, 2013 7:41 AM CDT
    • Totally. Fuckers wi their cellphones! does my crust right in. Was at a gig in Aberdeen with Future of the Left (ex Mclusky, check'em both out). Andy the lead singer fellah jumped into the crowd, squared up to some cocky little fucker and his phone. Grabbed it threw it to the back of the room, told the guy and his friend to fuck off and buy their music.  he then turned to the crowd and said 'Anyone else want a picture?' Classic!

• April 8, 2013 10:34 PM CDT
    • I recently went to see The Hives and I couldn't help myself. Although I lasted much less time going counter clock wise than I used to...I remember in 1996 I attended a Warp Tour stop and when Pennywise started covering Black Flag songs I had this feeling that I never wanted to leave my body. I wish I could bottle that feeling up and let the eye rollers have a glimpse...So with the digital age firmly here and people going to concerts and watching the whole damn thing through a phone/camera (so effing annoying BTW), us old dudes are extremely relevant. Keep it up pops!

• April 8, 2013 9:55 PM CDT
    • Stickin' with it! It gives me great pleasure to see punks of all ages sportin their wears and keeping the heritage alive. I just love punks man.

• April 8, 2013 2:58 PM CDT
    • YES!

Is very funny to me as his room looks almost like mines.  
      He has john Wayne, i got a star-trek´s Klingon, got a DDR-flag too, lots of chain-lights, a water-pipe and almost the same chaos! ;D

• April 9, 2013 5:26 AM CDT
    • new album out now. this is just fuckin stunning and creepy at the same time.

• April 5, 2013 4:06 PM CDT
    • Metal Cat

• April 8, 2013 10:10 PM CDT
    • Show #416: "Bands & Artists Starting With A, Part 8" playlist:

Ed Askew - "Peter And David"
      Asoka - "Tvivlaren"
      Assim Assado - "Lunatica"
      The Association - "We Love Us"
      The Assortment - "God Bless Our Hippy Home"
      Les Asteks - "Oui Je T'aime"
      Gary Aston - "His Lordship"
      Ricky Astor & The Switchers - "Rock, Chaquita, Rock"
      The Astors - "Candy"
      The Astral Army - "Interstellar Shortwave"
      The Astral Projection [NY] - "(Spiral Interiorization)...Overture - The Astral Scene"
      The Astral Projection [TX] - "Rosa Lynn"
      Astronaut Alan & The Planets - "Cellophane Mary-Jane"
      The Astronauts - "Baja"
      The Astros - "Space Walk"
      The Asylum Choir - "Icicle Star Tree"
      Yr Atgyfodiad - "Cynnwrf Yn Ein Gwlad"
      Athanor - "Urizen (Your Reason)"
      The Athenians - "Louie Louie"
      Glenn Athens & The Trojans - "Let Me Show You How"
      Atlanta Rhythm Section - "Doraville"
      Atlantic Bridge - "MacArthur Park"
      The Atlantic Ocean - "Take A Look Around You"
      The Atlantics [AUS] - "Bombora"
      The Atlantics [US] - "Sonny & Cher"
      Atlantide - "Egg"
      Atlantis - "Living At The End Of Time"
      Atomic Forest - "Obsession '77"
      Atomic Rooster - "Banstead/S.L.Y."
      Los Atomos De Paramonga - "El Trencito"
      The Attack [UK] - "Lady Orange Peel"
      Attack [US] - "School Daze"
      The Attaras - "Blue Is The Color"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/416.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/416.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metaphysical-Circus-with-The-Eggman-An-Obscure-Oldies-Radio-Program/182326748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• April 8, 2013 5:34 PM CDT
    •  I guess I can't argue with that statement ,  if they never broke up in the past 30+ years , but , I was'nt impressed when I saw them.

• April 8, 2013 5:04 PM CDT
    • I think is the same band and same tunes! 
      they call themself: "Planet Earth's longest running modern surf band."

John Battles said:

THE INSECT SURFERS....Unless they've changed drastically , that was some stone Hippie Surf , like The Mermen , but a little heavier. IT WAS 20 YEARS AGO THAT I SAW THEM , AND OVER 10 YEARS EARLIER , MY FRIENDS AND I TRIED TO GET INTO A SHOW THEY WERE ON (MAY NOT HAVE BEEN THE SAME BAND.).

THEY USED TO DO A THING IN CHICAGO AND THE BURBS , CALLED  TIKI FEST , THE TRASHMEN , VOLCANOES , NEANDERTHALS , AND A BUNCH OF AREA BANDS PLAYED.

• April 8, 2013 11:59 AM CDT
    • Everyone knows that the first UK punk groups pre-dated Margaret Thatcher's rise to Prime Minister.  Once she took power, though, and set the agenda, it seemed to rejuvenate and radicalize a second wave of bands. Probably Crass's screed against the Falklands War was the most directly confrontational, but what were some of the other well-known British political punk groups/songs of the era?

• April 8, 2013 1:29 AM CDT
    • ''BEAUTIFUL GARDENS"   was born out of what Lux called a six month delayed acid flashback, in which he saw spiders in his eyelids and ghosts in his sheets...set to the tune of the organ riff to "Paliades Park" by Freddie Cannon. Then , there's the reference to Jesus Franco's "Vampyros Lesbos" ......But , I would'nt say they lifted the music from anywhere. It's a standard riff , not unlike "Bertha Lou" by Dorsey Burnette" or even "Space Cowboy" by The Steve Miller Group.

The backward message was taken from The Mad Daddy's "What is a Fisteris". When played backward , it says "If I said this in English , I could turn this record into a parking lot".

Early copies of "Psychedelic Jungle" reportedly contained the message "Elvis Was Murdered " etched into the vinyl.

• April 8, 2013 12:55 AM CDT
    • mAYBE cHEETAH could base his character, in part , on Archie Bunker's sideline as a Cabbie in Queens. They do share teh same last name in real life.

• April 7, 2013 1:58 PM CDT
    • Exene was one of the first people I heard complain about the dearth of all ages shows , back in the early 80's. She said , in LA , they had a system , if you were underage , you could'nt get a wristband to drink alcohol , but, you could still get into shows (Not all of them ,of course.).  I had to wait until X had been through Dallas/Ft. Worth twice before I could go see them , and the drinking age was only 19 , back then.    For years , all ages shows were an afterthought. Most , if any , were held in the middle of nowhere.....Venues that did'nt serve alcohol , obviously , died the death in a year or less.....

Many years later , in Chicago , they turned a postwar bowling alley into an all ages venue. You just had to be 21 to go in the bar , but , they had soda machines in the lobby , more than a lot of all ages joints had. In fact , Exene and D.J. Bonebrake played there once with Auntie Christ.   I played there ,twice , myself , and brought my friend's 5 year old son onstage to sing "Rock 'n'Roll High School". But , I STILL met younger people who'd bitch and moan about how having one all ages venue was'nt enough.

REV said:

"It's like if you're under 21 you're a second class citizen."

-Exene Cervanka of the band X, referring to their efforts to have all-ages access to their shows

• April 6, 2013 10:25 PM CDT
    • "It's like if you're under 21 you're a second class citizen."

-Exene Cervanka of the band X, referring to their efforts to have all-ages access to their shows

• April 6, 2013 3:56 PM CDT

• John Battles said:

This is'nt a quote , but , if anybody has a copy of that clip from "Rotten TV" where Roger Ebert walks up to John Lydon , and says , "OH , JOHNNY ! REMEMBER WHEN RUSS MEYER AND I TRIED TO MAKE THAT MOVIE ABOUT THE SEX PISTOLS ?" , and Johnny smiles and waves and says "Yes , yes . VERY NICE. Go away , now. Go away....".

I was at the Rock Against Reagan rally , which The Dead Kennedys played at , in Dallas in 1984.  But , I don't remember Biafra saying anything particularly quotable.

I neglected to mention , the rally was at The Republican Covention in '84.

who else played? Hmmmm. Reagan Youth (They did "Over , Under , Sideways , Down".) , B.G.K. , Mano Negra (Dominican Reggae group.), Cause For Alarm , BOO (Dallas Punk/Dub trio.), Church of The Subgenius , Ladies Against Women (Hilarious local poltical Comedy troupe.)......and a yet - to - go into denial Michelle Shocked , who played independently of this already barely - sanctioned event , and was arrested. I REMEMBER THAT , NOT THE PART ABOUT HER GETTING BUSTED......It was'nt very good .

• April 6, 2013 2:28 PM CDT
    • This is'nt a quote , but , if anybody has a copy of that clip from "Rotten TV" where Roger Ebert walks up to John Lydon , and says , "OH , JOHNNY ! REMEMBER WHEN RUSS MEYER AND I TRIED TO MAKE THAT MOVIE ABOUT THE SEX PISTOLS ?" , and Johnny smiles and waves and says "Yes , yes . VERY NICE. Go away , now. Go away....".

I was at the Rock Against Reagan rally , which The Dead Kennedys played at , in Dallas in 1984.  But , I don't remember Biafra saying anything particularly quotable.

• April 5, 2013 9:34 PM CDT
    • "It's becoming chic to be a fascist"

-Jello Biafra at the protest concert at the Democratic National Convention in San Francisco, 1984, commenting on the fact that 3/4 of the San Diego Padres pitching staff were members of the John Birch Society.

• April 6, 2013 3:14 PM CDT
    • Playlist 04/06/13

Husker Du  Turn On The News 
      Black Flag  Gimme Gimme Gimme 
      Bad Religion  We're Only Gonna Die 
      Weirdos  We've Got The Neutron Bomb 
      Anti-Pasti  No Government 
      Adverts  Gary Gilmore's Eyes 
      Damned  1 of the 2 
      Professionals  White Light White Heat 
      Baby Woodrose  Bubblegum 
      Chesterfield Kings  Baby Doll 
      Jackets  Freak Out 
      Beg Borrow Steal  King of the Road 
      Night Marchers  (Wasting Away In) Javalinaville 
      Hoodoo Gurus  I Think You Know 
      Zero Boys  New Generation 
      Curse  Hey Sucker 
      Cabaret Voltaire  Nag Nag Nag 
      Au Pairs  Kerb Crawler 
      Flowers  After Dark 
      Modettes  White Mice 
      Lilliput  Die Matrosen 
      Lords of Gravity  Danger Girl 
      Shook-Ups!  Control Yourself 
      Pearls  Shine A Light 
      Nomads  Up, Down or Sideways 
      Stranglers  Lowlands 
      Wobbly Lamps  Gretchen Fetchin' 
      Mobbs  Ruby Sol 
      Bleached  Next Stop 
      Mysteios  Va Va Va Va Va Va Voodoo Bay-Bee 
      Traditional Fools  Allright 
      Midnight Sun  Neuroin 
      Andy Smash and the Rust Belt Hotrods  Recordare 
      Swingin' Utters  I'm A Little Bit Country 
      Black Angels  Evil Things 
      Colleen Green  Yr So Cool 
      Phantom Six  Inspiration 
      Godfathers  Gone To Texas 

• April 6, 2013 8:55 AM CDT
    • I will be on the air and the web on Saturday April 6th from 1:00-3:00PM EST playing old and new punk and garage tunes. You can listen at 89.7 WITR-FM in Rochester, NY or streaming live at http://witr.rit.edu