Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• February 17, 2013 1:27 AM CST
    • Jane Dear said:

it is always always always good to have your own website for anything ever.

I agree

• February 16, 2013 11:59 PM CST
    • I'm pretty sure this is technically against FB policy though. Not that it has prevented it from happening and I'm not sure how attentive they are about it. There are actually tons of interesting and overlooked regulations we all legally agree to adhere to by using it. (South Park/Apple, anyone?) Most of my issues with Facebook and most of them are sociologically and occassionally politcally (the WH kind) related. Big business is gonna be big business & FB is doing what the Yellow Pages and focus group companies have been doing for decades, just with a hyper enhanced digital and 100% voluntary consumer and market base. I could go on forever (Wal-Mart headquarters is in my backyard and this is a rapidly emerging tech startup hub) about all that but I'll digress. That being said, I noticed this thread has mentioned the website VS other on one profiles thing and it is always always always good to have your own website for anything ever.

Jeff Lynn said:

I guess if you're just starting out promoting your new indie band on Facebook you would probably be better off just creating a new Facebook profile for your band and adding a bunch of people as friends until you get a good fan base. Then when you have enough people interested in your band or you need to be able to add more people .. just upgrade to a Facebook Fan Page and notify all of your friends/followers about your move so that they can like your new page.

• February 16, 2013 8:18 PM CST
    • I guess if you're just starting out promoting your new indie band on Facebook you would probably be better off just creating a new Facebook profile for your band and adding a bunch of people as friends until you get a good fan base. Then when you have enough people interested in your band or you need to be able to add more people .. just upgrade to a Facebook Fan Page and notify all of your friends/followers about your move so that they can like your new page.

• February 14, 2013 10:49 PM CST
    • I still much prefer the Roy Loney - era material , though I like the "Slow Death" album on Norton , all pre - "Shake Some Action" (The album , I mean. It's got a very early demo of the song.). It has most of the post - "Teenage Head" stuff that I like. Post Teenage Head. Sounds liek a cereal Kim Fowley would endorse .

• February 14, 2013 9:40 PM CST
    • Off the site...
      Between 1972 and 1978, San Francisco’s Flamin’ Groovies – featuring core members Cyril Jordan (guitar/vocals), Chris Wilson (vocals/guitar) and George Alexander (bass/vocals) – produced some of the decade’s most vital recordings, including the 1976 classic Shake Some Action. Dig It Up! will be the first time since 1981 that the Jordan/Wilson/Alexander line-up of the Flamin’ Groovies have appeared anywhere in the world.

• February 14, 2013 9:03 PM CST
    • By Flamin' Groovies , do they mean Roy and Cyril ? Because they WILL crush , kill , destroy ! , but they have'nt been calling themselves The Flamin' Groovies. maybe the promoters insisted they do.    One guy I know had the same idea , to do an all day festival in his garage and alley. He asked me to be the M.C. , telling me they might be getting Patti Smith and David Bowie. 

• February 14, 2013 8:30 PM CST
    • Sydney now has the Dig it up festival, last year The Sonics ,5678's and tonnes more played, this year we got the flamin' groovies, the stems, blue oyster cult, buzzcocks to name a few.
      I'm thinking of starting an anti-fest deal, just getting a few bands together, couple of kegs rolling the garage door open and blasting it out of there, have everyone spilling out my front and into my dead end street

• February 16, 2013 9:36 PM CST
    • Serial Killers Unite! is my zine. 32 pages of warped seditious goodness that features correspondence/artwork from serial killers and a tonne of other stuff. It's sold in a few record shops etc etc around the place. Issue 12 is now available, $5 includes mail anywhere In the world and a free randomly picked serial killers letter with this issue. MSG me if you want one, review below http://www.quimbys.com/store/5833

• February 16, 2013 7:25 AM CST
    • Please, tell us more...

E.J. Matze said:

I went to the Flying Spiders (1978/79)!

The Spiderz - Car

• February 16, 2013 2:20 AM CST

• sideshow Barty said:

nah not over here he didnt.this was quite a few years after so alone (maybe 6),he hadnt done anything significant for a while and sadly was considered washed up even then.hanoi rocks on the other hand were riding high with there credence cover and were a big deal at the time,more proof if needed that just what a fucked up decade the 80s where.

John Battles said:

Detracting from the story , but , did'nt Hanoi Rocks support Johnny? I've heard a couple of good recordings from that tour , but ,Johnny waved around that license to be inconsistent like he was this past generation's Jerry Lee Lewis ....Surely , touring with his musical direct descendants must have inspired him a bit ( I told Sam Yaffa that Hanoi Rocks were the Dolls ' Little Brother Band. Don't think he understood me.).....Likewise , he was actually flattered to have THEE Mystery Girls (From Chicago.) open for him , here in late '89 or early 90. he loved the idea that they took his musical influence and turned it into something of their own. However , he took a nap , saying he'd catch their set , and woke up just in time to miss it. He dedicated "Personality Crisis" to them , though . His set was NOT very good , but , sure , there were moments.....His voice was incredible , believe it or not. Less of the beloved HONK , and more gutteral Blues growl , like on "Copy Cats". But , he scarcely touched his guitar. I also saw him in Dallas in '86. Was'nt great and it was'nt bad. He did'nt seem as fucked up as usual (Rumor was he'd gotten clean for a while , tho' I later read he did that several times , falling back on junk, once more. Of course , when he died , there was no Heroin involved , and the parties involved are still walking the streets. Yes ,Johnny OD'ed on Methadone AFTER they slipped him some hallucinogens , tho' before they ransacked his hotel room. For all we know , they held the needle in place. )....

sideshow Barty said:

theres first shows,theres best shows,theres also worst shows,im talkin about bands you liked,waited for what seems like a lifetime for them to get 'round to your town,they came.....and they where shit.

this topic requires a whole discussion all of its own.

i'd like to nominate a mid 80s j. thunders gig i attended,now who dont like thunders?but im sure i probably aint the only one here....too wasted,the tour he done maybe 'bout 84ish supporting hanoi rocks in europe was shambollic.

if i'd got through that much horse i'm pretty sure i would'nt be leavin' the house.never mind tryin to play in front of folk.i have however long since forgiven him.everybody loves johnny.

• February 16, 2013 2:17 AM CST
    • nah not over here he didnt.this was quite a few years after so alone (maybe 6),he hadnt done anything significant for a while and sadly was considered washed up even then.hanoi rocks on the other hand were riding high with there credence cover and were a big deal at the time,more proof if needed that just what a fucked up decade the 80s where.

John Battles said:

Detracting from the story , but , did'nt Hanoi Rocks support Johnny? I've heard a couple of good recordings from that tour , but ,Johnny waved around that license to be inconsistent like he was this past generation's Jerry Lee Lewis ....Surely , touring with his musical direct descendants must have inspired him a bit ( I told Sam Yaffa that Hanoi Rocks were the Dolls ' Little Brother Band. Don't think he understood me.).....Likewise , he was actually flattered to have THEE Mystery Girls (From Chicago.) open for him , here in late '89 or early 90. he loved the idea that they took his musical influence and turned it into something of their own. However , he took a nap , saying he'd catch their set , and woke up just in time to miss it. He dedicated "Personality Crisis" to them , though . His set was NOT very good , but , sure , there were moments.....His voice was incredible , believe it or not. Less of the beloved HONK , and more gutteral Blues growl , like on "Copy Cats". But , he scarcely touched his guitar. I also saw him in Dallas in '86. Was'nt great and it was'nt bad. He did'nt seem as fucked up as usual (Rumor was he'd gotten clean for a while , tho' I later read he did that several times , falling back on junk, once more. Of course , when he died , there was no Heroin involved , and the parties involved are still walking the streets. Yes ,Johnny OD'ed on Methadone AFTER they slipped him some hallucinogens , tho' before they ransacked his hotel room. For all we know , they held the needle in place. )....

sideshow Barty said:

theres first shows,theres best shows,theres also worst shows,im talkin about bands you liked,waited for what seems like a lifetime for them to get 'round to your town,they came.....and they where shit.

this topic requires a whole discussion all of its own.

i'd like to nominate a mid 80s j. thunders gig i attended,now who dont like thunders?but im sure i probably aint the only one here....too wasted,the tour he done maybe 'bout 84ish supporting hanoi rocks in europe was shambollic.

if i'd got through that much horse i'm pretty sure i would'nt be leavin' the house.never mind tryin to play in front of folk.i have however long since forgiven him.everybody loves johnny.

• February 15, 2013 7:13 PM CST
    • There's a couple of stories about why Bryan left The Cramps....He , himself , claimed he was getting more into stuff like The Clash and PIL and further away from their musical roots.
      The top story , with Lux's verification , as to why Bryan left was , was that he simply took off with a band vehicle , loaded with their equpment , and never came back. After he died , though , Lux and Ivy cited his Heroin habit as the main thing making their relationship with Bryan crumble.    Gregory did turn up , unannounced , at a Cramps gig in the 90's to make peace with Lux and Ivy . They forgave him. So much time had elapsed.....But , I speak from experience , these first wave Cleveland Punks hold on to a grudge like they'll turn to stone if they let go.

Of course , the most popular story is that Gregory joined a Devil Cult......Well......His Girlfriend , Ardella , was an Occult practitioner(They later  formed the awful Goth - Rock  BAND , Beast , together. ), AND , REPORTEDLY, the two joined a coven , practicing White magic , but , not Satanism as such.  
      dave said:

Whoo, ya done good!! The Cramps were one of the best shows I've ever seen, w/ Candy and Nick. They embody all that's great about rock and roll!

'Ja ever hear why Brian left the band? Bad trip? Anxiety?

Kinky's always good for a laugh, wish he'd won the election in Tejas. Be a better gun'nor, that's for sure.

Keep up the good karma,

Dave

GattyGoon said:

The first show I remember is seeing Freddy Fender at a rodeo in El Paso, Texas.

The first punk show was in DC to see The Cramps, Tex Rubinowitz and the Teen Idles (Ian Mackaye pre- Minor Threat / Fugazi. The Cramps had to cancel because Brian Gregory wigged out and left the band. So I saw the other two bands.

The best shows were Cramps and Link Wray shows.

Although always great, some of the Cramps shows that stand out more.

The night my good friend (Stephen Blickenstaff) and I went backstage and Stephen presented Lux and Ivy with his artwork that became the famous "Bad Music For Bad People" cover art. After that we got in to their shows on the guest lists.

Another time we traveled to Pittsburg and were on the guest list (Thanks Stephen!) Reverend Horton Heat was opening for them. Backstage after the show Lux, Jim Heath and I stood around talking about serieal killers.

RHH's drummer asked if I wanted to go party and play music with them after the show. I declined as I had to drive back early the next day.

Good thing too, because It turned out - unknown to us - that The Cramps were staying in the same motel as we were. Lux came to our room to hang out.

He was wearing black pajamas with glow in the dark skeletons. He went into our bathroom and turned out the light so we could see them glow. He picked up my glow in the dark toothbrush and pretended to brush his teeth.

Ivy was tired and did not join us but she sent Stephen a gift. She had rinsed out the fringed outfit she had worn on stage that evening and layed it out on a motel towel to dry. Some of the black dye had stained the towel with a perfect image of her outfit in a shroud of turin sort of way. Lux gave the towel to Stephen and said that Ivy wanted him to have it.

The next morning as we were leaving town we stopped at a record store. After a few minutes the Cramps walked in too. So I got to spend thirty minutes or so talking about guitars and comic books with Ivy.

And a differnt show we headed to a local bar after they played and I got to sit, chat and drink with Harry Drumdini.

Link Wray was always great. Once at the Wax Museum in D.C. I was up at the front of the stage and this lady tapped me on my shoulder and asked if I would help her onto the stage which was about six feet off of the floor. She said that she was Link's wife. So I gave a boost and she was. Link was happy and gave me a smile and a nod.

• February 15, 2013 3:16 PM CST
    • Whoo, ya done good!! The Cramps were one of the best shows I've ever seen, w/ Candy and Nick. They embody all that's great about rock and roll!

'Ja ever hear why Brian left the band? Bad trip? Anxiety?

Kinky's always good for a laugh, wish he'd won the election in Tejas. Be a better gun'nor, that's for sure.

Keep up the good karma,

Dave

GattyGoon said:

The first show I remember is seeing Freddy Fender at a rodeo in El Paso, Texas.

The first punk show was in DC to see The Cramps, Tex Rubinowitz and the Teen Idles (Ian Mackaye pre- Minor Threat / Fugazi. The Cramps had to cancel because Brian Gregory wigged out and left the band. So I saw the other two bands.

The night my good friend (Stephen Blickenstaff) and I went backstage and Stephen presented Lux and Ivy with his artwork that became the famous "Bad Music For Bad People" cover art. After that we got in to their shows on the guest lists.

Another time we traveled to Pittsburg and were on the guest list (Thanks Stephen!) Reverend Horton Heat was opening for them. Backstage after the show Lux, Jim Heath and I stood around talking about serieal killers.

RHH's drummer asked if I wanted to go party and play music with them after the show. I declined as I had to drive back early the next day.

Good thing too, because It turned out - unknown to us - that The Cramps were staying in the same motel as we were. Lux came to our room to hang out.

He was wearing black pajamas with glow in the dark skeletons. He went into our bathroom and turned out the light so we could see them glow. He picked up my glow in the dark toothbrush and pretended to brush his teeth.

Ivy was tired and did not join us but she sent Stephen a gift. She had rinsed out the fringed outfit she had worn on stage that evening and layed it out on a motel towel to dry. Some of the black dye had stained the towel with a perfect image of her outfit in a shroud of turin sort of way. Lux gave the towel to Stephen and said that Ivy wanted him to have it.

The next morning as we were leaving town we stopped at a record store. After a few minutes the Cramps walked in too. So I got to spend thirty minutes or so talking about guitars and comic books with Ivy.

And a differnt show we headed to a local bar after they played and I got to sit, chat and drink with Harry Drumdini.

Link Wray was always great. Once at the Wax Museum in D.C. I was up at the front of the stage and this lady tapped me on my shoulder and asked if I would help her onto the stage which was about six feet off of the floor. She said that she was Link's wife. So I gave a boost and she was. Link was happy and gave me a smile and a nod.

• February 15, 2013 2:02 PM CST
    • The first show I remember is seeing Freddy Fender at a rodeo in El Paso, Texas.

• February 15, 2013 10:27 PM CST
    • Every time I'm reminded about Debauch-a-Reno I'm overcome with grief that I can't swing the trip. BIG OL' SIGHS. 

• February 15, 2013 8:24 PM CST
    • Very cool.  I have a live recording of Cavestrokers reunion show from a few years back.

whatwave dave said:

Who are these Legend Killers and where did this song Born Loser come from???   hahahahaaaa.

BTW, actually have a live tape of the Prehistoric Cavestrokers from their one appearance in sleepy London ontario...

• February 15, 2013 4:53 PM CST
    • Who are these Legend Killers and where did this song Born Loser come from???   hahahahaaaa.

BTW, actually have a live tape of the Prehistoric Cavestrokers from their one appearance in sleepy London ontario...

• February 15, 2013 7:29 PM CST
    • Yeah , If I can grow  a long enough lock in my hair , I can cover that third eye up.

But , I'm 100% certain that's Sky Saxon's picture. That's how he looked in the 70's.

Jim Baker (Father Yod) did'nt look even remotely like his "Son" , Arlick (Sky Saxon.), except that he had the Moses hair and beard going on ,too. I used the term "Blatantly ripped off from " , lovingly , BTW.
       , TOO. 
      Polyvinyl Craftsmen said:

Hi John, we're not sure if it's Sky Saxon or Father Yod? Either way it's all linked to Ya Ho Wa 13.

Nice to see that someone had their spotter's eye on!

• February 15, 2013 5:33 PM CST
    • Hi John, we're not sure if it's Sky Saxon or Father Yod? Either way it's all linked to Ya Ho Wa 13.

Nice to see that someone had their spotter's eye on!

• February 15, 2013 2:44 PM CST
    • HA hA . tHAT'S Sky Saxon. There was a similar (It not blatantly ripped off from) illustration intended for an issue of Bomp ! that never came out....

Polyvinyl Craftsmen said:

Wobbly Lamps new 7" EP "Drella" will be out very soon on our label Polyvinyl Craftsmen Records, they have already picked up airplay on garage shows in France and Germany and this week actually got some BBC 6Music action in the UK.

You can hear the new songs on Soundcloud and follow Wobbly Lamps and Polyvinyl Craftsmen Records on Facebook.

If you like a bit of Sonics/Cramps/Oh Sees/Billy Childish/Country Teasers/Fall influenced shit you'll enjoy the Wobbly Lamps.

• February 15, 2013 5:17 PM CST
    • Radio What Wave Playlist Feb 14/2013

1. Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons...Scars Of Love...from Slippery's Club Hits, the cassette that comes with What Wave 24. And this just happens to be #10 on the CHRW charts!! And a good choice for a starting tune on Valentines Day.

2. The Legendary Stardust Cowboy....I Hate CD's...from a 7" on Norton Records...i especially like the ending where The Ledge rambles about hating Bruce Springsteen and his stupid CD's!

3. Ralph Nielson and The Chancellors....Scream...from the latest and final Lux and Ivy's faves, volume 17. This has also been re-ished on Crypt Records back in the mid 80's. We didn't get a chance to do a proper trib for the anniversary of Lux's passing 4 years ago, so we had to toss out this little gem. And it's also for the record show that's happening in London Ontario this sunday at Centennial Hall.

4. The noble Savages...Fire In The World...from their latest demo. Hamilton garagepunk combo that you should have seen at Call The Office a coupla weeks back.Glad that a couple of you came out, right Jason!

5. The Mystics...Can't Be Happy...their latest 7", another cool Hamilton garagepunk combo.

6. Uranus...53 Buick...from their very first 7". Local combo who recorded this at Awes Studio in downtown London.

7. The Finks...Now...from their only 7". Mid 80's London combo who had Peter Gripp in the band, he's now in The Living Deadbeats.

8. Ray Condo...Big Dog, Little Dog....from a memorial 7" for Ray who passed away a few years back. This goes out to Rory the dog!!!

9. Jim Ashby...Speed City....the best 7" to ever come out of sleepy London Ontario!

10. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants...Hate Van...from their first 7" on Speed City Records.

11. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants...Eyes...from their latest 7".

12. A Passing Fancy...I'm Losing Tonight...re-ish 7" on Ugly Pop Records, one of the finest record labels around these days. They've released many late 70's/early 80's Canpunk singles as well as some 60's Canpunk singles, this being one of them.

13. Master's Apprentices...Undecided...another 7" on Ugly Pop Records, this one from Australia.

14. The In-Sect...I Can See My Love...yet another 7" on Ugly Pop Records from Australia.

15. Charlie Pickett and The Eggs...If This Is Love, I Want My Money Back...from the Live at The Button LP, one of the finest live LP's out there. And a perfect song for Valentine's Day.

16. The Gruesomes...I Never Loved Her...from the recent re-ish of their first LP, Tyrants of Teen Trash on Groovie Records.

Thanx for listening to this shortened show...hockey playoff game started at 7PM.

Back next week with more noise and don't forget the London Record show is this sunday at Centennial Hall, 11 to 5PM. I'll be at the CHRW table as usual.

Here's a link to the podcast:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave#prev-shows

• February 15, 2013 10:38 AM CST
    • Show #409: "Bands & Artists Starting With P, Part 8"

Every 3 weeks I do a series of shows I call the "Alphabetical Series" where I randomly draw a letter of the alphabet from a hat. Whatever letter I draw, I take all the bands and artists in my collection (from the 50's, 60's & 70's only) that start with that letter and play them in strict alphabetical order one by one until I run out of time. This week I drew the letter "P". This is the eighth time I've drawn the letter "P", so I will start from where I left off on show #7 (which was with The Purple Fox). This is the final installment of the Letter P! So, tune in tonight (Friday at 10:00pm EST) to hear 3 hours of bands and artists that start with "P" like: 2 bands called The Purple Gang, 2 bands called The Purple Haze, The Purple Hearts, Purple Image, Purple Passage, The Purple Underground, Purple Wine, The Purpose, 2 bands called Pussy, The Pussycats, The Pussyfoot, Putney Bridge, 2 bands called Puzzle, Pynk Peach Mob, 4 different Pyramids, Pyrolator, Pythagoras Theorem, Python Lee Jackson, and many others!!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750 ... Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• February 14, 2013 11:05 PM CST
    • Thanks for the link, been looking around for tapes (10 mins a side)
      For ages, seems cheap too,even shipping to aussieland