Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• February 7, 2013 6:50 PM CST
    • We got our drums for $75 at a garage sale up the road - then bought good $$ cymbals and kick pedal. Our drummer has never played drums before and none of us know how to tune it properly. The kit is a 70's mass produced cheapy.

That said -- we're really happy with how it sounds and after gigs we get real proper drummers complimenting our drummer on her drum tone. Maybe we got lucky ... maybe setting up the kit trusting our ears was the way to go ... ?? ...

• February 7, 2013 6:49 PM CST
    • Do what ever you want with a song.  Why limit yourself to a preconceived notion of what the song is supposed to sound like.  The key of a song is generally written where the previous singer was most comfortable or to accommodate bad horn players.  Sometimes a song won't sound good if the key is changed but that is rare and you will be able to tell.

• February 7, 2013 6:20 PM CST
    • Hello friends,

Do you change the key of your covers or do you think if you cannot sing it in the original key, the song must not be covered ?

Just wondering,
      AL.

• February 7, 2013 4:53 PM CST
    • Trash Freak , I got about as far as The Troggs' popularity lasting 18 months , hitting a Forty  year sticky patch. After their two big hits , here , and 2 or 3 lesser hits , The Troggs continued charting in Britain , Germany , France, South Africa , probably many other countries . They were always a popular live act in Europe , and , here , when they capitalized on Their status as Godfathers of The Punk MOVEMENT , because they played every gig like it was their last , with the freshness of it being their first....    You can talk to people who don't even like this kind of music , and they at least know The Troggs , and "Wild Thing".

I AM STEPPING BACK FROM THE ARTICLE , AND WILL READ IT , LATER . IT DOES LOOK LIKE SOME OF IT IS (UNINTENTIONALLY?) FUNNY.

Trash Freak said:

I wouldn't normally read The Telegraph, & to be honest its not exactly a celebration of his life, but this article has some interesting & funny bits. Like his descriptions of the little bastards, with their tackle, nosin' around the fields...
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/culture-obituaries/music...

• February 7, 2013 4:43 PM CST
    • No , it is'nt , mate , but , somehow , it will make more sense , to you , why some of us had to check out of this life when they had so much more great work ahead. Is there a reason or a rhyme ? I doubt it ,bu t, that does'nt mean he's not still here with you , and guiding your life , insipiring you to make it something better. That much , I can assure you , will make itself known.

Mark George Harrison said:

Thanks John, he had a great send off, it was a proper celebration of a life. 56 is no age though.

John Battles said:

Yeah, and sadly for us , not for them , Wilko will be joining your friend and Reg , soon , but, remember , they'll be having a better time than we are.

My condolences about your friend.

• February 7, 2013 7:03 AM CST
    • Thanks John, he had a great send off, it was a proper celebration of a life. 56 is no age though.

John Battles said:

Yeah, and sadly for us , not for them , Wilko will be joining your friend and Reg , soon , but, remember , they'll be having a better time than we are.

My condolences about your friend.

• February 7, 2013 3:42 PM CST
    • 90 min. cassettes are good but 60 min cassettes are the best quality.  Tape stretches with each use.  The longer the length the thinning the tape.  Avoid 120 mins.

Chrome or high is a good bias.  Normal bias has a lot of ‘white noise’.  The best bias is METAL but it is not compatible with all player/recorders.

• February 6, 2013 6:22 PM CST
    • I always used the ones that say High Bias 70 (symbol that looks something like a backwards y) s EQ, High Position Type II Super Avilyn CrO2 (Chrome). I'm reading this off a TDK SA90. They sound much brighter and crisper than the "Normal" type.

A good source of them is garage sales and flea markets, where you can get them at giveaway prices. They usually already have music on them, but you can record over it. If the punchouts on the spine have been removed, just put a piece of tape over the hole. Make sure they look clean and nice, and check for signs of heat damage (curled tape), make sure the little piece of felt under the tape is there. Set your deck for the CrO2 position. I always pushed in the Dolby button, too.

• February 6, 2013 2:40 PM CST
    • hi I want to experiment whit some tape recording

maybe some of you in here know the answers to the questions google could'nt help me whit

as far as I understand, there are 4 different qualities

1. what is the lowest quality suitable for recording music - not in 4track but straight from computer/turntable

2. a good and cheap online store in europe? right now im looking for 14min tapes

• February 7, 2013 1:16 AM CST
    • "Take This Job and Shove it"- I prefer David Allan Coe's version , not Johnny Paycheck or The DKs. He did write it , after all.

Sorry . I like "Bang on The Drum All DAY " by Todd Rundgren.

John Entwistle - "Who In The Hell Do You Think You Are?"

JAMES BROWN- I DON'T WANT NOBODY TO GIVE ME NOTHING  (OPEN UP THE DOOR , I'LL GET IT , MYSELF.") . Brown was , inexplicably, called an "Uncle Tom" and a "Sellout" in his day , because he promoted Black Business , SOMETHING THAT NEEDED TO BE DONE. But slander did'nt affect him.He wanted others to have some of the breaks he had. "I'm not selling us out , I'm selling us IN". The Bad JB.

"'WE WANT TO WORK FOR OURSELVES , NOT FOR SOMEONE ELSE...... I FOR ONE  , AND MY SONS FOR ANOTHER , ARE'NT GONNA TAKE IT .....WHEN MAN HAS BURNED HIS FELLOW MAN. WE HAVE TO BE FAIR IN OUR BUSINESS DEALINGS. WE DON'T BURN ANYONE , AND NOBODY'S GONNA BURN US , SWEETIES."    JIM BAKER (FATHER YOD) YA HO WA.

• February 7, 2013 12:56 AM CST
    • There's  stuff out there , I can't think of all  the titles ,  tho'. Of course , England had The Electric Sugar Cube Flashbacks and Rubble. Australia had Ugly Things ,New Zealand has the highly recommended Wild Things . Japan has the great "G.S. , I LoveYou" , and the earlier "Teen Trash From Tokyo". If you don't have "Nuggets 2" already , it WILL open your ears and your mind to all kinds of international Psych and Freakbeat. Mexico has some cool comps , too. I found one that covers Garage , Psych and early Hard Rock. The "Love Peace and Poetry " series covers many cOuntries , tho , as I take it , it's the more mellowed out stuff. mAYBE NOT ALL OF IT..................

• February 6, 2013 9:20 PM CST
    • Those are some good lists, thanks a lot! Detroit & Texas sure seem to be heaviest on regional comps (for obvious reasons, I suppose). I'll definitely look up those Canadian albums, there's always so much good unknown stuff coming out of Canada.

Anybody know of older material (or re-issues of older material) from 60s or 70s? I've trolled all the usual avenues (like the catalogs of Norton, Crypt) for what they may have, but I know that many of these records were only sold within the regions they represented, so private presses and small runs on tiny record labels are where the good stuff is at. 

Also really interested in comps, old or new, from countries other than the US. Specific countries of interest are: Spain, France, UK, Italy, Japan, and Brazil. They've all had incredible underground music scenes at one time or another, and there's bound to be some comps floating around - any international folks have some hints?

• February 7, 2013 12:47 AM CST
    •  I think it's an easy choice , too. Even if you're lucky enough to have seen The Sonics and The Sloths in L.A.

• February 7, 2013 12:10 AM CST
    • come on man, easy choice. without a doubt Debauch-A-Reno.

• February 6, 2013 7:09 PM CST
    • SONICS , GORIES , SLOTHS !!! No Brainer. Yes I've never heard of most of the other bands on the Debauch - A - Reno , but the bands I HAVE heard of at Burgerama II (And several  that I have'nt.) I could go see at The Empty Bottle in Chicago. That is , if I wanted to.

The Gories have played Chicago a total of three times in the past 23 years (And , THEY tellme , CHICAGO IS A PRETTY BIG TOWN THAT IS'NT A TWO DAY DRIVE FROM DETROIT.). I saw them in '90 and '10 , butmissed the second show , in '91. Dan Kroha told me hedoes'nt remember that gig.But , if they take a notion , I know that they  can fill The Empty Bottle , or any comparable venue twice , again. The SONICS , WELL , if you don't live in Western Europe , Australia or The American Northwest , and/ or maybe SF or L.A. , LOTSA LUCK SEEING THEM. The Sloths , I doubt they've played outside of LA , ATLEAST NOT SO MUCH THAT YOU'D NOTICE , WHEN THEY'D BE A SHOO - IN FOR THE PONDEROSA STOMP......Tho' I'm placing my bets on that like I am on The Sonics. So , while the secondary bands hold little interest for me , and , yes , I could be surprised by some , were I to go . I'm an old fuck who likes it old school. Bands like Hunxand His Punx or Shannon and The Clams are amusing , but , I could'nt see paying to see them. I only ever saw The Black Lips because they were opening for The Weirdos , and they were terrible.

I'm in the minority , here , I know , I say , do whatcha wanna do and play how ya wanna play , to quote The Fever Tree , another old man band.

• February 6, 2013 6:08 PM CST
    • Sorry, -- Gories? GORIES. Go. :D

Looking at Burgerama II, it's a decidedly CA, LA-leaning event just looking at Day 2 -- ok, kewl, ya neh? But for my dollars (and I do count 'em) you get a lot more for your dough at the Reno event, bands you'd have to travel to see... I like that the bands are from near and far for that one. So, that seems like an awesome opportunity. And... it's the Gories. Oh, did I say that?

Yeah, well, anyone with more information regarding either event, do share!

• February 6, 2013 5:46 PM CST
    • Never been to either one, I have seen quite a few bands on both lineups. They both fall on the same dates, I'm undecided, don't know which one to go to. Which one would you go to?

• February 7, 2013 12:03 AM CST
    • Hello

My name is Lindsey and I am uncategorically a geekburger. I love my music but I could care less about original press mumbo-jumbo. I prefer me a good ol' cassette to anyother musical format. Though I greatly enjoy the ruckus of a good punk show, I am more likely to stay at home and biff about mi casa. I have a knack for locating peripheral chakras. . .like the elbow chakra, which is clearly responsible for the brass brilliance of one J.J. Johnson. I am also keen on buffaloes, cinnamon toothpicks, and bad haircuts. Just thinkin this may be a fun site to listen to casts, hunt for new tunes, and make friends of the same ilk (or not). Ifins you like the cut of me jib, then gimme a chat!

• February 6, 2013 11:56 PM CST
    • i WAS BURNING A FRIEND SOME CDs , COS HE'S BURNED ME SOME RARE BUDGIE STUFF....SO I BURNED HIM SOME CDS OF HARD STUFF , ARMAGEDDON , CAPTAIN BEYOND (LIVE @ UTA TEXAS HALL , WHERE I LATER SAW UFO , A YOUNG JUDAS PRIEST ,  TRIUMPH (YIKES) , CHUCK MANGIONE (!!!) ,  HARLAN ELLISON (A REAL TOOL.) , AND BEST OF ALL , ST. VINCENT PRICE .), THAT SORTA THING. PROTO - STONER , I'D SAY , ANYWAY.

• February 6, 2013 4:12 PM CST
    • Hey, I was curious, too, so I found this on google, it's short and professional.

How To Create A Podcast

Looking forward to your 'cast.

• February 6, 2013 1:45 PM CST
    • You're welcome. I almost forgot about Crumb's use of the Swastika in a very Mad Magazine context. i'd love to attend your Passover Seder  , myself. I have'nt had a good Jewish meal in , well , a month , anyway.

PORK MAGAZINE said:

Thanks for the words Gentleman John. All of the contexts & examples yer talkin' about are reasons why we started to use the swastika in our work. I was tired of being afraid of being called a Nazi especially if Joey Ramone can sing "I'm a Nazi baby, I'm a Nazi yes I am." & barely anyone bats an eyelid. Centrally for me though, you can blame Robert Crumb who pretty much always included swastikas in his big mix up pictures of tiny cartoon characters exploding out of someone's head, including on his original cover for Big Brother & the Holding Company's "Cheap Thrills". And, as always, anyone who wants to say something is welcome to our insane Passover Seder to level any complaints.

John Battles said:

OK , I JUST GOT THE NEW PORK. I DID NOT FIND THE USE OF THE SWASTIKA PARTICULARLY OFFENSIVE. IT WAS USED IN THE SAME WAY MAD MAGAZINE (WHO , YOU'LL NOTE , WAS A LARGELY JEWISH COLLECTIVE , FREQUENTLY BASHED BY THE EXTREME RIGHT.) USED TO - IT JUST EXPRESSED RAGE OR CRAZINESS OR A WAY TO SUGGEST "BAD WORDS" - YOU KNOW , "$%#@**$!!!!    

It was'nt used as a means to convey Neo - Nazi sympathies , and I see Pork magazine the same way......I would imagine if it really offended a lot of people , they'd stop using that image , and The Iron Cross , which I've read was a medal of honor AWARDED EVEN BEFORE THE DAYS OF THE KAISER. A LOT OF PEOPLE IN OUR CIRCLES WERE WEARING IRON OR MALTESE CROSSES , YEARS AGO , MYSELF INCLUDED (I even found one with a Black Power fist bolted onto it. Who could contest THAT?) , BUT , no one seemed to mind. Not like Dick Miller's classic rant in "The Wild Angels".  But , to wear a Swastika T-SHIRT OR BADGE TODAY WOULD STILL HAVE THE SAME CONNOTATION  . BUT , WE'RE TALKING ABOUT WEARING THEM IN PUBLIC.  Even if your politics don't lean that way , as with The Sex Pistols. They made it clear they were anti - Nazism and Communism , too , as did many Punk bands , but they flirted with the imagery of both , to some extent .

REAL NEO - NAZIS ARE TRAITORS. PORK SEEMS TO BE ABOUT AS ALL - AMERICAN AS YOU CAN GET.

John Battles , Roctober Magazine .

• February 6, 2013 1:43 PM CST
    • You're right about that. The Native Americans , and Indigenous Asian peoples (Don't you love my PC terminology?) had it first.

kopper said:

The history of the swastika is actually pretty interesting. Check out the Wikipedia entry for more details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

Remember, it wasn't used or seen as a symbol of hate until the Nazis started using it after 1920.

Just sayin'.