Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• February 10, 2013 3:47 PM CST
    • That's funny. Now , I get it.  I've got one of his CDs....It's nothing like The Billy Childish retreads I feared it might be.... Alopecia and baldness are not necc. the same thing , tho'. With the former , you lose ALL your hair , and many hipsters would like that , fine.

Audio Gasoline said:

Alopecia the label is/was owned by Sir Bald Diddley, hence the association to the balding condition.

John Battles said:

I've heard of that. My dad had Alopecia. But , it's cool. Strange name for a label , though.

The way men are shaving their chests , and their heads (Both heads) , though they are'nt balding , if you could put Alopecia in pill form , it'd sell like annoyingly large backpacks.

Shaun Coleman said:

A series of comps called locked into surf.  From a label called Alopecia out of england.

• February 10, 2013 10:34 AM CST
    • Alopecia the label is/was owned by Sir Bald Diddley, hence the association to the balding condition.

John Battles said:

I've heard of that. My dad had Alopecia. But , it's cool. Strange name for a label , though.

The way men are shaving their chests , and their heads (Both heads) , though they are'nt balding , if you could put Alopecia in pill form , it'd sell like annoyingly large backpacks.

Shaun Coleman said:

A series of comps called locked into surf.  From a label called Alopecia out of england.

• February 10, 2013 1:27 AM CST
    • I've heard of that. My dad had Alopecia. But , it's cool. Strange name for a label , though.

Shaun Coleman said:

• February 9, 2013 9:46 PM CST
    • A series of comps called locked into surf.  From a label called Alopecia out of england.

• February 9, 2013 2:08 PM CST
    • Well , I only say "Hard to believe" , because it's just as easy to assume they'd fall back on all the obvious , lifeless stuff . But , they did'nt. Rhino was the shit , at one time....They'd drop the ball , on occasion , but , I was still getting turned on to a lot of great stuff in the pre-CD era , thanks to Rhino , when a lot of reissue labels were still dodgy (Particularly Eva , but they were putting stuff out that no one wanted to touch...Still sounded like ass , most of teh time.).

• February 9, 2013 10:09 AM CST
    • That's not so hard to believe. Rhino was a top-notch reissuer at one point, and the CD mentioned below would have been a good surf intro, as was the vinyl-only History of Surf Music, Vol. 1. (Volume 2 was all vocals, and #3 was all contemporary bands as of 1982.)

AVI had a really good series called Rare Surf. After that label went out of business, that series went out of print. Still, grab a volume if you find it. 

John Battles said:

BELIEVE IT OR NOT , EVEN RHINO'S "LEGENDS OF ROCK GUITAR: SURF "IS REAL CHOICE.

• February 10, 2013 3:37 PM CST
    • " I never shake hands. You never know , somebody might have just gone to the men's room , and not  washed their hands , or even used any toilet paper ! When I gotta go , I'll used half a roll !!!" . Freddie Blassie , King of Men , as told to Andy Kaufman.

"HEY ! HEY , WILL YOU FUCK OFF , BACK THERE?! I'M TALKIN' TO THE MAN , AND YOU GEEKS ARE MAKING SO MUCH NOISE , YOU GOT ME DOUBLE TWISTED UP , INSIDE!!!

I KNOW WHAT'S WRONG , I THINK YOUR MOTHER WANTED A GIRL , AND YOUR FATHER WANTED A BOY , AND THEY WERE BOTH HAPPY !!! YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN? HE'S A LITTLE BIT ON  THE BORDERLINE , HE COULD GO EITHER WAY . HEY !!! SIDDOWN YOUR SEATS!! SIDDOWN YOUR SEATS !!!  I CAN READILY UNDERSTAND WHY THEY DO A DOUBLE-TAKE WHEN THE GREAT FRED BLASSIE WALKS DOWN THE STREET  , BUT , I'LL NEVER UNDERSTAND WHY THEY'D DO A DOUBLE - TAKE WHEN YOU WALK DOWN THE STREET, CAUSE YOU'RE NOTHING !!!! AND YOUR FATHER WAS A NOTHING !!! THAT MAKES YOU A DOUBLE NOTHING !!!!!

Blassie , King of Men , as told to the real , the only , THEE Johnny Legend , in an interview disrupted by an adoring public .

• February 9, 2013 11:17 AM CST
    • “We aren't particularly talented. We try harder!” - Joe Strummer

• February 10, 2013 3:16 PM CST
    • Detracting from the story , but , did'nt Hanoi Rocks support Johnny? I've heard a couple of good recordings from that tour , but ,Johnny waved around that license to be inconsistent like he was this past generation's Jerry Lee Lewis ....Surely , touring with his musical direct descendants must have inspired him a bit ( I told Sam Yaffa that Hanoi Rocks were the Dolls ' Little Brother Band. Don't think he understood me.).....Likewise , he was actually flattered to have THEE Mystery Girls (From Chicago.) open for him , here in late '89 or early 90. he loved the idea that they took his musical influence and turned it into something of their own. However , he took a nap , saying he'd catch their set , and woke up just in time to miss it. He dedicated "Personality Crisis" to them , though . His set was NOT very good , but , sure , there were moments.....His voice was incredible , believe it or not. Less of the beloved HONK , and more gutteral Blues growl , like on "Copy Cats". But , he scarcely touched his guitar. I also saw him in Dallas in '86. Was'nt great and it was'nt bad. He did'nt seem as fucked up as usual (Rumor was he'd gotten clean for a while , tho' I later read he did that several times , falling back on junk, once more. Of course , when he died , there was no Heroin involved , and the parties involved are still walking the streets. Yes ,Johnny OD'ed on Methadone AFTER they slipped him some hallucinogens , tho' before they ransacked his hotel room. For all we know , they held the needle in place. )....

sideshow Barty said:

theres first shows,theres best shows,theres also worst shows,im talkin about bands you liked,waited for what seems like a lifetime for them to get 'round to your town,they came.....and they where shit.

this topic requires a whole discussion all of its own.

i'd like to nominate a mid 80s j. thunders gig i attended,now who dont like thunders?but im sure i probably aint the only one here....too wasted,the tour he done maybe 'bout 84ish supporting hanoi rocks in europe was shambollic.

if i'd got through that much horse i'm pretty sure i would'nt be leavin' the house.never mind tryin to play in front of folk.i have however long since forgiven him.everybody loves johnny.

• February 10, 2013 2:15 PM CST
    • :D  Yeah, this is def. another kettle o' fish!

I've heard sooo many tales of fucked-up Thunders dates, if they weren't all basically the same show you could make a book of 'em.

One guy here said Thunders was shit as usual, but the show still had a certain majesty about it. It's on this thread...

Glad Malice made the night tolerable.

sideshow Barty said:

theres first shows,theres best shows,theres also worst shows,im talkin about bands you liked,waited for what seems like a lifetime for them to get 'round to your town,they came.....and they where shit.

i'd like to nominate a mid 80s j. thunders gig i attended,now who dont like thunders?but im sure i probably aint the only one here....too wasted,the tour he done maybe 'bout 84ish supporting hanoi rocks in europe was shambollic.

if i'd got through that much horse i'm pretty sure i would'nt be leavin' the house.never mind tryin to play in front of folk.i have however long since forgiven him.everybody loves johnny.

• February 10, 2013 3:25 AM CST
    • theres first shows,theres best shows,theres also worst shows,im talkin about bands you liked,waited for what seems like a lifetime for them to get 'round to your town,they came.....and they where shit.

• February 10, 2013 3:06 AM CST
    • know what ya mean about joeys skin being like glow in the dark plastic.i shook his hand one time after a show,he was hot (and sweaty) and his hand was like holding a wet fish,a dead one at that.his legendary status remains unaffected by this in my book.

Mark Freiseis said:

First show - something called the Met Center Rock Festival. The bands were: The Litter, Brownsville Station, either Sweetwater or SRC, The Amboy Dukes, The Stooges, Grand Funk Railroad & Canned Heat. Not bad for $5.00!

First punk show - Ramones at Kelly's Pub in downtown St Paul on their first tour. Joey got out of a cab right in front of me & his sking was the color of glow-in-the-dark plastic. I went out & bought a motorcycle jacket the next day.

Best show - New York Dolls at the Mind Odyssey at the MN State Fair. The building was packed at the start of the show, but people kept leaving & I kept moving forward. I ended up right in front of the stage with Johnny Thunder's stage monitor right next to my ear. I went deaf in my right ear for about a week.

• February 10, 2013 2:50 AM CST
    • hey dave.....up until that point i'd been a fan,they'd only done two singles,bingo masters and new thing this was the tour for that live at the witch trials album.i was a kid and i just did'nt get it.in fact i aint liked 'em since (fuck smith and his pissed up gobby arsed attitude).however support that nite came from this american girl vermillion,anyone remember her?you can youtube her one and only single 'angry young women' although it hasnt really stood the test of time.she did have as a backing group that nite label mates menace.still love menace,quality old school london punk act,they rescued the nite as i recall.

dave said:

Wow, The Fall! What was wrong with 'em?

sideshow Barty said:

1st gig i ever went to was the fall in early 79,it was shit,as an impressionable 12 year old i remember thinking,sod this live music bit,im gonna stick to records.

• February 9, 2013 1:46 PM CST
    • First arena show: Tina Turner at the Winnipeg Arena, with John Parr opening. 1985.
      Best show: A tie - Man...Or Astroman? with Bob Log III at the Pyramid Cabaret (1998), and Heavy Trash/The Sadies/Fiftymen at the Pyramid (2005).

• February 10, 2013 9:06 AM CST
    • Playlist 02/09/13

Troggs  I Can Only Give Everything 
      Chelsea  No Escape 
      Kursaal Flyers  Television Generation 
      Elvis Costello  No Action 
      Klark Kent  Don't Care 
      Lene Lovich  Lucky Number 
      Joe "King" Carrasco  I Get My Kicks On You 
      Wreckless Eric  Take The Cash (K.A.S.H.) 
      Sector 27  Can't Keep Away 
      Beg Borrow Steal  Monkey 
      Death By Unga Bunga  Love Itch 
      Harmonica Lewinski  Code Green Jellyfish 
      Kiss Kiss Bang Bang  Desperate Teenage Living Nightmare 
      Livids  Savage Eyes 
      Lords Of Gravity  Danger Girl 
      Mobbs  This Pounding Heart 
      Fashion  Sodium Pentathol Negative 
      Stranglers  Sometimes 
      Damned  Disco Man 
      Sham 69  Hurry Up Harry 
      Black Shades  Bread N' Butter 
      Brats  Dancin' in the Backseat 
      Mahones  Makes No Sense At All 
      Trashed Romeos  Gotta Find A New Love 
      999 Me and My Desire 
      Eater  Outside View 
      101'ers  Keys To Your Heart 
      Nick Lowe  Born To Be A Woman 
      Mad Doctors  Black Magic 
      Plymouth Fury  The Basement 
      RJ and the Del Guapos  Shake!! 
      Scovilles  Bird Brain Master 
      Undertones  You've Got My Number 
      Blondie  Hanging On the Telephone 
      X-Ray Spex  Indentity 
      Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers  I Wanna Be Loved 
      Fleshtones  Todos Queremos A Lupe 
      Stingrays  June Rhyme 
      Big Boy Pete and the Squire  American Spring 
      Godfathers  Gone to Texas 

• February 9, 2013 8:13 AM CST
    • I will be on the air and the web playing garage and punk tunes on Saturday February 9th from 1:00-3:00 PM EST on 89.7 WITR-FM in Rochester, NY and streaming live at http://witr.rit.edu.

• February 10, 2013 12:49 AM CST
    •  I still like the first one I ever heard , the Stooges/Salt 'n'pepa mash- up.
      "ooh , baby , baby , oo, baby , baby - No fun , mah babe , no Fun. DA NA DA DA NA NA NA DA DA DA DAAAA NO FUN , MY BABE , NO FUN - BABY BAY , OOH ! BABY BABY !

• February 9, 2013 2:57 PM CST
    • Va bene, Carlucci, tu sei musicista, un ex-Fuzztones and you are on the inside track while my english sucks and sure I don´t have this expertise, but I beg to differ and so I´ll try... At least just to say my (to your eyes, incompetent) opinion. 
      Is not my intention to fight or to growl at you John, really, but as a Fan i feel offended by you! Since you can´t help doing discrediting the Fuzztones and Rudi as soon as those names are mentioned, you might expect  some Fuzztones´s fans to take issue with you! So you are gonna be my english-exercise today.
      "Rudi stole the entire image from The Music Machine"??
      Not agree at all... the mop-top haircut wasn´t their exclusive and the Fuzztones´s  haircut was much longer and so very singular if not unique! Wearing all black? Johnny Cash used to do this long before, lot of other bands did or do as well. Even myself, since about 81 i use to wear all in black (i still do, mostly!!). I don´t know whom i have stoled my image but more probably is just because it better extravert my dark disposition and my anger.
      Are you talking about the instruments? Typical 60s-bands aren´t? The Farfisa Organ? Deb had one in Tina Peel already, right? The Fuzzbox? One of the coolest inventions!! I seem to recall to have read Rudi owned a fuzzbox in the 60s already. (By the way he choose for his band the best name he could choose, to my little opinion!) 
      "Rudi played a Carvin Les Paul copy"?? Well, so i suppose to be a bad guitar? Maybe he just didn´t had the money for a better one at that time?! No idea! But I´ve seen Tina Peel´s vids in which he played a Vox... So?

Of course the Music Machine were one of the greatest, most original and inspiring 60s-garage bands and yes, the single glove actually IS the prickly (?) attribute which however, could be intended as a symbol for their influences on Rudi or his love for them?.
      Did Sean Bonniwell ever complain to him for it? I don´t think so... 

Talking about look: To me Fuzztones means: yes, betimes, a long mop-top-haircut and for sure long hairs (which I love much more than a mop-top ;). Tooted or Bones-Necklaces (which are extremely cool especially on black gear) and  the crossed phantoms as a logo!!! (even much cooler!!:) This way They influenced on the look bunch of bands still to this days. So what?  In my opinion, Rudi has a great taste... He´s been kind of trendsetter for many different things in the past.
      And he has a huge "Charisma"! while lots of great! musicians, don´t have this at all!! 
      (And i´m not even talking about his beauty, since is secondary to me!)
      "Tina Peel wore matching outfits of stripes, polka dots & checkers.."
      If you consider the time they were dressed that way (76?), you may rather say they influenced some New-Wave´s bands some years later.
      "In some cases, he had dudes that were bald, so he made them wear wigs"
      Ha ha, that´s funny!... But don´t most of bands work hard to have an (own) "image" different from other bands? Though, anyway, do you have to go blue that much???

"We? had the chops & the spirit to put on an amazing live show."
      Those, in 85, were already amazing live of Fuzztones to me, they doesn´t look like the Music Machine. They not even sounds alike other bands, not even when they did a cover. 
      I loved them and you weren´t in the band yet!  Elixir festival 85 > 

I´s a great pity that all those fantastic 60s bands disappeared so fast in your country (why wheren´t you all listen at them that much and buying their records and so let them live longer?) while the Beatles in Europe got that big??  
      (ok, sure, they were pop by comparison, but still..)

We were grateful for the Fuzztones bringing those great tunes to Europe, (original or not). Personally i think they let re-surge those great tune in their own singular way!
      So, i would rather say they re-invented this music style! 

The fuzztones sounds like Fuzztones and nobody else, even when the cover.
      (As well as the Cramps when they covered)
      Personally, i love most of the original Fuzztones songs too.
      "IMO The Ramones & Cramps are in a different league"
      In the USA they may be in a different league!! OK!
      But not here! In Europe they are in the same league!

I don´t think your experience or music-taste must be the benchmark.
      IMO this is not the right place for you to conduct a campaign against a music colleague, (though i bet Rudi couldn´t care less), do You think YOUR carrier is gonna be better than? 
      Since i believe your behave is unfair, i guess you will give yourself a favor by stopping this picking at him. And if you really have an axe to grind with Rudi, please do it somewhere else, ideally, personally with him.

LIVE AND LET LIVE!

(Non mi fare vergognare anche tu di essere Italiana,
      ti prego, con Berlusconi abbiamo gia´fatto il pieno!)

And now back to topic, i hope! 

John Carlucci said:

I think I have some expertise on this  particular topic and can shed some light on the situation having been in this band for 5 years when they were in their prime.... Yes, Rudi stole the entire image from The Music Machine. The Fuzztones started as a novelty side band to his "real" band, Tina Peel. Tina Peel wore matching outfits of stripes, polka dots & checkers and Rudi played a Carvin Les Paul copy.  The funny thing is that the novelty side band went over better than his main band, so he kept doing it.  He pieces his bands together by whoever is available, then dresses them up to fit his "image". He tells them what guitars to play, what clothes to wear & how to cut their hair. In some cases, he had dudes that were bald, so he made them wear wigs.  Some of his band mates knew nothing at all about garage music, and were basically hard rock dudes that he molded to fit the look.  I was from a Punk Rock background & had my most success to that point as a member of the Power Pop band, The Speedies. The most amazing thing about the line-up of the Fuzztones when I was in the band is that despite Rudi, the other 4 of us had amazing chemistry & we took the band to a different place. Try as he did to control us, I did not work. I am & always have been a non-conformist. We had the chops & the spirit to put on an amazing live show.  But the original songs Rudi wrote were nothing compared to the covers we did. You have to realize that in the 80's the internet did not exist. It was not that easy to find these rare songs by bands like The Sonics & 13th Floor Elevators. A lot of people did not realize we were doing covers back then.  This was their first exposure to this genre. So now you have young bands emulating what we did while we were emulating what came before. IMO The Ramones & Cramps are in a different league, They had their own voice & did something more original than we did. We tried, but it was an uphill battle the entire time. 

Is it possible to call them "a Music Machine wannabee"-band just for a single glove used by a young Rudi, while on the other hand, still today, you hve bunch of bands wearing bones-chains a la Fuzztones? Are they Fuzztones wannabee bands?? I´m confused...  
      (but hell, it may be!.. ;)

• February 9, 2013 2:34 PM CST
    • What next, licensing from Ofcom? The FCc raiding Kopper's studio because he has no licence to put out a show?

• February 9, 2013 2:32 PM CST
    • It looks like a hoax, but I saw the patents and it really could ruin our enjoyment of free media. It gets more absurd. I know patents protect workers rights, as does copyright, but could this be a means to close down podcasting by making you pay for what you receive free. I suspect that when people are forced to pay subscription fees , people'll tune out and this will lead to fewer podcasts around due to lack of demand. What'll fill the void? https://www.eff.org/sites/default/files/us8112504.pdf

• February 9, 2013 1:47 PM CST
    • THAT DOES'NT SURPRISE. I ASKED CHRIS BRITTON IF IT WAS DIFFICULT WINNING PEOPLE OVER, WHEN THEY HAD TO DO CABARET . HE SAID , "NO , NOT IF WE HAVE SOME OF OUR FANS THERE. THEN ,THE BLUE RINSE BRIGADE , WHO'VE COME TO SEE GERRY MARSDEN, WITH THEIR WALKERS AND THEIR ZIMMER FRAMES STACKED UP IN FRONT OF THE FIRE EXITS LIKE SO MUCH SCAFFOLDING , IT MIGHT TAKE A WHILE WITH THEM , BUT , WHEN THEY SEE THAT WE'RE ENJOYING OURSELVES , THEY USUALLY START ENJOYING THEMSELVES , AS WELL .  " .    File THAT under great Punk quotes. But , he was quick to point out , also , how great it was  that they drew such a diverse bunch of people at their own gigs.

Bryan Chapman said:

I was 'lucky' to attend the BBC Radio 1 birthday party at the old Hammy O in 1982, and the only two bands who really impressed were the Troggs and the Nashville Teens. This was probably because even back then, they really went for it, unlike most of their contemporaries who had headed for the cabaret circuit.

• February 9, 2013 11:02 AM CST
    • I was 'lucky' to attend the BBC Radio 1 birthday party at the old Hammy O in 1982, and the only two bands who really impressed were the Troggs and the Nashville Teens. This was probably because even back then, they really went for it, unlike most of their contemporaries who had headed for the cabaret circuit.

• February 9, 2013 9:03 AM CST
    • I can't wait for it, for I haven't heard it in months.