Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 17, 2012 2:17 PM CST
    • swt , As far as the weirdest are concerned , I agree with your choices , but ,"Animal Instinct" definitely rates high up there.. Then , there's "The Edge of Reality" , maybe not so strange on the surface , but , as close to Psychedelia as Elvis ever got....Especially when you dig the "Trip Scene"  in "Live a Little , Love a Little" that goes with it.

One is advised to check out "Elvis' Greatest Shit" , if you can. Many of what're considered his worst tracks (Tho' I don't see how "U.S.Male" made the grade.) are laid out , lovingly , there.

• December 17, 2012 2:08 PM CST
    • That was the first Elvis movie I  EVER SAW , AND , EVEN AT ABOUT THE AGE OF 10 , I THOUGHT "Ft. L. COC." WAS KIND OF ODD.  NOW , I THINK IT'S HILARIOUS. You have to take that era with a sense of humor , or not at all , tho' , for every "Yoga is as Yoga Does" (Again , HILARIOUS....As if Charles Laughton mispronouncing his name on The Sullivan show were'nt enough , now Elvis is , AWKWARDLY ,  dueting with Elsa Lanchester. Bizarro World , man.) there was a "Down in The Alley " , " Long Legged Girl (With The Short Dress On.) , "NIGHT RIDER" , "Dirty , Dirty Feelin'" , etc.

swt said:

This inspired me to open with The Cramps' Heartbreak Hotel on my radio show tonight. http://steveterrell.blogspot.com/2012/12/terrells-sound-world-playl...

I love the Girl Happy soundtrack. Even like the weird stuff like "Through the Courtesy of the Ft. Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce."

I compiled a Spotify playlist called Elvis' Weirdest. Check it out Elvis' Weirdest

• December 17, 2012 3:49 AM CST
    • The Girl Happy soundtrack? I could never get past the title track, which was the only good song on the whole album, IMO. As far as the other songs...if that were the only album he did, no one would be calling him King.

• December 16, 2012 7:01 PM CST
    • "Do The Clam" is a rockin' tune, but it took Torturing Elvis (a now-defunct Chicago rockabilly duo) to bring out the rock for me. I've never heard the Cramps' rendition, and Elvis' original is studio sterile.

On the other hand...the title track to Elvis' Girl Happy movie is a rockin' monster. ("Do The Clam" is on that same soundtrack elpee.)

• December 16, 2012 6:55 PM CST
    • I've never disliked anything they did , tho' , as I said earlier , "Look , Mom!No Head" gets the least play with me. Yes , their live NZ album kills. They were trying to get some of the loot back from the bootleggers. It even looked like a bootleg in some respects. I guess a lot of people think "Do The Clam" was one instance in which Elvis jumped the shark , even tho' I was surprised to learn it's a plenty rockin' tune.

• December 16, 2012 5:08 PM CST
    • The Cramps WAS the shark. I think my favorite is Stay Sick, but I;m extremely fond of all of their works. Rockin' 'n' Reelin' in Auckland, New Zealand is an under-rated album. Great cover of Elvis' "Do the Clam" (not to mention "Heartbreak Hotel." A double shot of The King!)

• December 16, 2012 4:36 PM CST
    • Yes , Edmunds really jumped the Shark by shaking hands with Jeff Lynne at the crossroads.

But , he continued to be a strong live act. Wish I'd seen him on that '88(?) tour with Dion and others. But , I was'nt really listening to Edmunds , then , had'nt for a long time. I saw him do two acoustic sets , later. He sounded great , but , left me wanting.  Get a BAND !!!!!

• December 16, 2012 11:51 AM CST
    • Those two McCoys psych LPs on Mercury never did it for me. I understand a band has to die or grow, but in this case I'd sooner stick with their earlier records like "Hang On Sloopy." At least they didn't go total "easy listening" like the New Colony Six did.

And I haven't paid much attention to Dave Edmunds starting with that Information LP, but most of what I've heard from him since then is on the blah side.

• December 17, 2012 1:53 PM CST
    • Mark George , I don't even remember an American kid on "The Double Deckers" , but , I think gas was about 75 CENTS A GALLON THE LAST TIME I saw it.....Yep , Lil' Mickey Dolenz and "Circus Boy" , what'd Davey do before "Oliver!"? He may have merely been mistaken for a child ! No , I'm sure he went back futher than that.....But , Brandon Cruz , Butch Patrick , Robbie Rist , and Mason Reese all turned up in Punk or New Wave bands.

Dick Dodd of The Standells , of course , was one of The Mousketeers , back when that organization bred some REAL talent.

Unrelated : Chris Connolly  once told me the wee small bairn on The Stupid Babies' MAGNUM OPUS , "BABY SITTERS" ("BABY SITTERS , BABY SITTERS , ME.....HATE....BABY...SITTERS !!!!".) grew up to become Adamski. Well , you can't win 'em all. Also , Danny Bonaduce did a guest spot on a Redd Kross (As Tater Totz) album. When he relocated to Chicago to do talk radio on WLUP , he led a band with friends from the studio for a while. Not my scene , but , he was pretty funny when he wanted to be.

Mark George Harrison said:

He is indeed, Brinsley Ford has been in Aswad from the start, they were a band who 'jumped the shark', from respected reggae band to bland pop shite!

The leader of the double deckers, who's name escapes me, is still acting and appears on TV recently, dunno what happened to the rest. I wonder if you got it in America because there was an American kid in it??

Child star rock 'n' roll, two in the Monkees for a start!

John Battles said:

Oh , boy. We'll be picking out the furniture , soon , won't we ? Seriously , though , it's good to know that so many of the programs we grew up with were just as popular overseas. The only English show we ever got was "The Double Deckers". They'd show that on Sunday , when Saturday morning was Kiddie Prime Time. I heard the Black kid on that show grew up to be a member of Aswad. That's another thread ....Child Star Rock'n'Roll. 

You never fail to bring a smile to my face JB!

John Battles said:

Mark George , Yeah , I think you're right. We had a bear , who was kind of a radical political frontman.  , on early episodes of "The Banana Splits", which were'nt shown in The UK . He had this great big afro , wore wild clothes .....He turned up later on "The Hair Bear Bunch". He wrote some early songs for The Banana Splits , like "Kick Out The Jams , Jellies , and Honeys", "The American Zoos" ,  ''Black To Honeycomm (sic)", and "I Want You Right Now (Pickanic Basket!)" . Rumor has it , he changed his name to M*** F**** to avoid the draft. But , when Queen Elizabeth correctly identified him on a quiz show , it was all over , he was carried off to Ringling Brothers' Circus , to the chants of "DRAFT BEER , NOT BEARS !!!". 

• December 17, 2012 1:35 PM CST
    • In his own writing, below is his top 50 albums.

Meet the Beatles is listed in there.. so Beatles get (1) listing, but Black Flag (2), Wipers (3),Butthole Surfers (2) 

so... I don't doubt that he respected The Beatles but I wouldn't say they were his "go to" influence. I don't really care, I like his over all list and the music he created from Bleach to Heart Shaped Box.  I even liked Insecticide when it came out.  I bought Heart Shaped Box when it came out and that is the last Nirvana anything I purchased.  I would love some of the old splits and 45s.

I couldn't listen to any of it from like 1997-2010. It was everywhere and always on greatest everything of all time lists.  I would like to see those lists (if we don't die on Friday) in 3013, 4013, etc.  I don't know that it'll still be in the top 5. Its good, but not like THE ULTIMATE of all time.

----

We’re taking a look at the Nirvana frontman’s list of top 50 albums, which was published in the songwriter’s collection of journals in 2002.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2012/11/kurt-cobains-top-50-albums.html

• December 17, 2012 10:16 AM CST
    • I once read that Kurt Cobain's biggest influence were The Beatles.

Grazianohmygod said:

Looks like the collaboration is partially to generate buzz for Dave Grohl's new documentary. I liked the pairing for the most part. I mean, McCartney did write Helter Skelter, which is practically In Utero's baby-daddy. Seemed fitting.

If it makes a shed load of cash for a deserving cause then why not, its not like they're going to tour and start writing a new NirTles/BeaVana album!

• December 17, 2012 9:24 AM CST
    • Looks like the collaboration is partially to generate buzz for Dave Grohl's new documentary. I liked the pairing for the most part. I mean, McCartney did write Helter Skelter, which is practically In Utero's baby-daddy. Seemed fitting.

If it makes a shed load of cash for a deserving cause then why not, its not like they're going to tour and start writing a new NirTles/BeaVana album!

• December 17, 2012 4:30 AM CST
    • He is indeed, Brinsley Ford has been in Aswad from the start, they were a band who 'jumped the shark', from respected reggae band to bland pop shite!

The leader of the double deckers, who's name escapes me, is still acting and appears on TV recently, dunno what happened to the rest. I wonder if you got it in America because there was an American kid in it??

Child star rock 'n' roll, two in the Monkees for a start!

John Battles said:

Oh , boy. We'll be picking out the furniture , soon , won't we ? Seriously , though , it's good to know that so many of the programs we grew up with were just as popular overseas. The only English show we ever got was "The Double Deckers". They'd show that on Sunday , when Saturday morning was Kiddie Prime Time. I heard the Black kid on that show grew up to be a member of Aswad. That's another thread ....Child Star Rock'n'Roll. 

John Battles said:

Mark George , Yeah , I think you're right. We had a bear , who was kind of a radical political frontman.  , on early episodes of "The Banana Splits", which were'nt shown in The UK . He had this great big afro , wore wild clothes .....He turned up later on "The Hair Bear Bunch". He wrote some early songs for The Banana Splits , like "Kick Out The Jams , Jellies , and Honeys", "The American Zoos" ,  ''Black To Honeycomm (sic)", and "I Want You Right Now (Pickanic Basket!)" . Rumor has it , he changed his name to M*** F**** to avoid the draft. But , when Queen Elizabeth correctly identified him on a quiz show , it was all over , he was carried off to Ringling Brothers' Circus , to the chants of "DRAFT BEER , NOT BEARS !!!". 

• December 16, 2012 4:43 PM CST
    • Oh , boy. We'll be picking out the furniture , soon , won't we ? Seriously , though , it's good to know that so many of the programs we grew up with were just as popular overseas. The only English show we ever got was "The Double Deckers". They'd show that on Sunday , when Saturday morning was Kiddie Prime Time. I heard the Black kid on that show grew up to be a member of Aswad. That's another thread ....Child Star Rock'n'Roll. 

John Battles said:

• December 16, 2012 2:32 PM CST
    • You never fail to bring a smile to my face JB!

John Battles said:

• December 17, 2012 12:25 PM CST
    • New show up!  Listen here: 

Listen to the Dec. 16th show here: http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20121216-0030-t1355617800.mp3

The setlist:
      COCONUT COOLOUTS - PARTY JAIL

5678'S- HARLEM SHUFFLE
      CLARENCE FROGMAN HENRY - AIN'T GOT NO HOME
      JACKIE BRENTSON - ROCKET 88
      THE OUTCASTS - 1523 BLAIR
      DELPHINE- LA FERMENTURE ÉCLAIR
      BILLY FURY - DON'T JUMP
      JOHNNY BURNETTE - TOUCH ME

LOS SALVAJES- FEURA DE MI CORAZON

THE B+3 - MY BABE BEFORE
      JONATHAN RICHMAN & MODERN LOVERS - ROADRUNNER
      JAMES BROWN - SHOUT AND SHIMMY
      DON NIX - GOING DOWN

TENNESSEE ERNIE FORD- SIXTEEN TONS
      ERIC BURDON & THE GREENHORNES - YOU GOT TO WIN

KIM FOWLEY & THE HOLLYWOOD STARS - KING OF THE NIGHT TIME WORLD
      THE KNAUGHTY KNIGHTS- CONNECTION
      THE CHINESE MILLIONAIRES - DOLL COLLECTOR
      ADOLESCENTS - AMOEBA

JIM DICKINSON - OH HOW SHE DANCES
      THE STRANGELOVES - CARA-LIN
      THE FONDAS - WORK OUT

ROBERT DE SIMONE - SECONDO CORO DELLE LAVANDAIE

• December 16, 2012 5:41 PM CST
    • Okay, I can add a couple...

Thee Headcoatees - Santa Claus

The Dickies - Silent Night

Gene Autry - Here Comes Santa Claus

• December 16, 2012 11:16 PM CST
    • This song was played (quite a long time ago) on Little Steven's Underground Garage radio program, but I can't figure out the artist / group. There is a song by The Veronicas called "Another Life" but the lyrics just don't fit. Tonight he played another song by a group called The Grip Weeds which sounded amazingly like the Smithereens, and it almost seemed to fit the mystery tune from the way I hear the song in my head. In other words I'm thinking it could be the same group. Is there anyone out there who knows the identity of the artist or group behind this mysterious song? It is either "he was the man who lived another life" or "he was a man who lived another life." Thanks so much!

• December 16, 2012 10:20 PM CST
    • Show #401: "The TeenBeat Mayhem Top 100 U.S. Garage Rock Single Sides Of All Time, Part 2" playlist:

Larry & The Blue Notes - "In And Out"
      Things To Come - "Sweetgina"
      The Alarm Clocks - "Yeah"
      Montells - "You Can't Make Me"
      The Moving Sidewalks - "99th Floor"
      The Grodes - "Cry A Little Longer"
      Dr. Spec's Optical Illusion - "Tryin' To Mess My Mind"
      The Huns - "Destination Lonely"
      The Mods - "I Give You An Inch (And You Take A Mile)"
      The Tree - "No Good Woman"
      Tremors - "Wondering Why"
      The Quest's - "Shadows In The Night"
      The Sound Barrier - "(My) Baby's Gone"
      The Human Expression - "Optical Sound"
      Vikings - "I Need Your Lovin'"
      Better Half-Dozen - "I Could Have Loved Her"
      We The People - "You Burn Me Up And Down"
      Dirty Wurds - "Why"
      The Illusions - "City Of People"
      The Plague - "Go Away"
      Tasmanians - "Baby"
      The Outcasts - "1523 Blair"
      The Third Bardo - "I'm Five Years Ahead Of My Time"
      Gonn - "Blackout Of Gretely"
      The Alarm Clocks - "No Reason To Complain"
      The Cave Men - "It's Trash"
      The Zakary Thaks - "Bad Girl"
      Evil - "I'm Movin' On"
      The Electras - "Dirty Ol' Man"
      The Reasons Why - "Don't Be That Way"
      The Stoics - "Hate"
      The Del-Vetts - "Last Time Around"
      The Human Expression - "Calm Me Down"
      Dr. Spec's Optical Illusion - "She's The One"
      The Nomads - "Thoughts Of A Madman"
      Love - "7 And 7 Is"
      The Human Expression - "Love At Psychedelic Velocity"
      The Bees - "Voices Green And Purple"
      The Chob - "We're Pretty Quick"
      The Starfires - "I Never Loved Her"
      The Bad Roads - "Blue Girl"
      The Outcasts - "I'm In Pittsburgh (And It's Raining)"
      The Music Machine - "Talk Talk"
      Adrian Lloyd - "Lorna"
      Things To Come - "Speak Of The Devil"
      The Five Canadians - "Writing On The Wall"
      The Savages - "The World Ain't Round, It's Square"
      The Squires - "Going All The Way"
      The Gentlemen - "It's A Cry'n Shame"
      The 13th Floor Elevators - "You're Gonna Miss Me"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/401.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/401.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• December 16, 2012 7:55 PM CST
    • Hey guys, I've been stuck on a certain track for quite song time now and I'm having no luck. Does anyone know what song they're playing at 01:13 or who originally does it? He says "We didn't write this one" and it sounds like he's sayin' "Black eye(d) baby". I have all of the Kill-A-Watts' releases and it's not on any of 'em, so I'm assuming it's a cover. Any clue??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef3tjTCpT_4

• December 16, 2012 6:56 PM CST
    • Happy Hunting.

• December 16, 2012 2:58 PM CST
    • I miss Rock n' roll suicide as well

• December 16, 2012 1:09 PM CST
    • Ty Segall's stuff, yes! Definitely. And The Mallard. Great record. Also loving the new one from Los Chicos.