Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 13, 2012 3:24 AM CST
    • When this album came out , I saw The Gibson Bros. for the second time , with Jon Spencer in tow ( I liked him fine , with The Gibsons.), and The Gories opening. 

Joey Fuckup said:

Haha, so true John!

John Battles said:

And he means the ALBUM , not the girl on the cover.

joey fuckup said:

Another one I've got to get my hands on!

swt said:

And don't forget The Gibson Bros. I like the album they did with Workdogs, Punk Rock Drivin' Song of a Gun.

• December 13, 2012 3:07 AM CST
    • Best compilations of 2012

The 3 latest editions of the "Best of the GaragePunk Hideout"

Vol.7 "We Love Trash"
      Vol.8 "Supercharged Sounds"
      Vol.9 "Garage Monsters"

Amazing that there are now 9 volumes in such a short time. All packed with great tunes.

• December 13, 2012 2:20 AM CST
    • How could I have forgotten - Riot Fest , Chicago.

IGGY AND THE STOOGES - So fine to hear them with a GOOD sound system , for a change. Straight James was ON FIRE. Iggy The Schlong could do NO WRONG !

Jesus and Mary Chain - No early single sIDES , maybe one track from the first LP , if even.....But plenty of fuzz emanting from those Orange amps. Almost like a teen Garage band , at times.

Elvis Costello - Never was much of a fan , esp. not these days , but he stuck to the early stuff , and his band was Pub Rock as Hell.

Golgol Bordello - Sorry , did'nt get it.

White Mystery - Local sibling curly redheaded duo. Their Mom was at the Disco Demolition !

Only caught the tail end of their set . Sounded good.

Apart from the fact that I was on the guest list , and was still refused enrtry without a paid ticket, and missing Horton Heat because it took two hours to get there on The CTA , this was almost as good as The (abortive) Intonation Fest.

• December 12, 2012 3:09 PM CST
    • Best BOOK (and just in time fer da holly-daze):KRAMPUS, The Yule Lord, by Brom

It's a book about, well, Krampus, a kind of Anti-Klaus.

Gorgeous artwork, too. Mike Mignola likes it, sounds like a must-have to me!

• December 13, 2012 2:39 AM CST
    • TtHE BONE DRIVERS ALSO DID A LOT OF CRAMPS OR RELATED STUFF - Human Fly , I'm Cramped , The Crusher , New Kind of Kick , Psychotic Reaction , Surfin Bird , etc.

Their Drummer , Bob Woodrum , went on to work for The Cramps ,eventually becoming Road Manager.

• December 13, 2012 2:34 AM CST
    • Chicago Punk Polka Practitioners , The Polkaholics , have recently taken to doing a medley of Human Fly and Hava Nagila ! Others.......

Crookshanks - Naked Girl Falling Down The Stairs.

Divine Horsemen - Voodoo Idol.

Dyes - The Way I Walk , Goo Goo Muck , etc. - They also do an all - Cramps set each Hallowe'en.

Kid Congo Poweers and The Pink MONKEY BIRDS - I'm Cramped , Goo Goo Muck.

Thee Amazing Heebie Jeebies - Garbageman.

• December 13, 2012 2:22 AM CST
    •  I thought it actually sounded all right. Paul on stage with one of the Germs . I never thought I'd see the day.

• December 12, 2012 2:52 PM CST
    • I'm all for raising as much funds as possible.

I think Paul would bring out media and donations alone. 

Just an odd mix up.

A Mick & Paul song together (or Mick & Bowie) would be awesome, but the Nirvana/John thing just makes me shake my head. I understand the big picture, but it just feels so wrong.

I think it would be more amusing to see Paul play with Oasis minus Liam. 

• December 12, 2012 2:14 PM CST
    • I'd rather see him with Scotty Moore and DJ Fontana , again , but , that's just me.

I think the thing is , they're trying to raise as much money as possible for Hurricane Sandy victims , so , they're putting together the biggest names possible to drum up more attention.

I guess someone figured , if McCartney  and the two surviving members of Nirvana (Excluding Pat Smear.) were available , separately , to perform , why not have them perform together?

OK , The fact that Paul copped to not knowing who they were , I guess , is a big why not.

But , there was no way they were going to let them do this without a superstar frontman at the wheel. Greg Sage would make sense , if on a smaller scale , but , people want names. We know him , but most people don't.

• December 12, 2012 2:37 PM CST
    • Hey Guise,

wasn't there a book published in the 80s, called something like "Teen Fairs and Armory Halls"?

Can't find info at the moment, but it was mentioned in the liner notes of (I think) Highs in the mid-sixties, [northwest, v. 2]

• December 12, 2012 2:44 PM CST
    • Exactly. i don't know if it's that Townsend is embarrassed by anything he did that displayed some humor , or if , well , he knows what side his bread is buttered on.....I mean , I saw The Who , once , in 1980. They were'nt really promoting anything (The "Quadrophenia" film was current , but , it was'nt like they were doing THE WHOLE DAMN ALBUM , like they are , now , and have done so for decades. Not exclusively , but , I'd say more than enough.) , so it was basically a "Best of " show , better known stuff From "Can't Explain" to "Who Are You'', but , any live sets I've seen listed , or heard , since then , seldom strayed from that set list. Now , The Stones have been the same for years , in that their "Fans" only want to hear the same 20 songs , but , in 2003 , and even earlier , they started doing as many smaller venues as possible , throwing in a lot of obscure (To "The fans" , not necessarily to us.) tunes of their own , as well as a lot of Soul and Blues covers , and even the Jagger/Tosh duet , "(Walk and ) Don't Look Back" , plus throwing in more songs from "Let it Bleed" and "Sticky Fingers" in their stadium shows.

I heard a crude recording of the recent London show , and , yep , Jagger made a crack about doing the whole of "Satanic Majesties" , like that would be a BAD thing. To the "Fans" , yes. Since they're promoting yet another "Greatest Hits " package , barring "I Wanna Be Your Man" , there were'nt too many off the wall selections . When I saw that Jeff Beck (Once a Yardbird , almost a Stone. Sent home with "Does'nt play well with others" on his report card.) was playing on "I'm Going Down '', I wondered if it was the little known song that appeared on "Metamorphosis" or the Blues/Rock standard. Of course , it was the latter , but Beck KILLED it . IT MIGHT TAKE A WHILE , BEFORE THEY START THROWING IN SOME RINGERS WHEN THE TOUR GOES STATESIDE.......And , for those out there who have two grand to hear the same 20 songs, if that's how it's going to go down , they should'nt be disappointed. To think , I thought $18 was highway robbery to see The Stones in '81. In the 90's , they did keep their ticket prices down , compared to your Eagles and your Pink Floyds , but , I was'nt as interested in seeing them (I would have, for FREE!) until I actually saw Chuck Berry give a great show , after purposely avoiding him for years , and figured I should give The Stones another chance. Plus , they finally put out a solid album.

• December 12, 2012 1:46 AM CST
    • The Stones set list I saw for a fundraiser in Brooklyn showed only the two new songs as anything from the last 30 years.  Everything else (even if it wasn't that oddball except for I Wanna Be Your Man) was from Start Me Up and before but mostly concentrating on the Jimmy Miller years plus major hits from 1965-1967.  I laughed at an interview that promised the Her Satanic Majesty's Request album in its entirety but that goes to show that really do think about their past more than the Who really do.  It seems like Townshend only wants to talk about works he saw as triumphs after a lot of adversity.  He won't joke about Dogs.

John Battles said:

You're probably right. I just don't think The Who presented themselves with too many challenges these past 30 years , as far as throwing oddball songs into their set , the way The Stones have.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

I think it may have been part of their set in the UK for a short while but probably wasn't here.

John Battles said:

Think you've got something there with that medley idea , Rockin' Rod. "Call Me Lightning" ALWAYS GOT SWEPT UNDER THE RUG , even tho' it was a lesser US hit. I doubt it was ever in their live set , but , WHO NOSE , I MEAN , KNOWS?

• December 11, 2012 7:41 PM CST
    • You're probably right. I just don't think The Who presented themselves with too many challenges these past 30 years , as far as throwing oddball songs into their set , the way The Stones have.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

I think it may have been part of their set in the UK for a short while but probably wasn't here.

John Battles said:

Think you've got something there with that medley idea , Rockin' Rod. "Call Me Lightning" ALWAYS GOT SWEPT UNDER THE RUG , even tho' it was a lesser US hit. I doubt it was ever in their live set , but , WHO NOSE , I MEAN , KNOWS?

• December 11, 2012 7:37 PM CST
    • .....And that's saying nothing about "Had Enough" on "Who Are You".

John Battles said:

You're welcome , Dave. "Violence Girl" it's called . There was a thread that Lee Joseph put together , I believe , some time back , about the release party for teh book in LA.

I THOUGHT IT WAS VERY WELL WRITTEN , BUT AS A FLY ON THE WALL , FOLLOWING THE PROTAGONIST'S DAY TO DAY LIFE , WHICH IS SOMETIMES A REAL KICK , AND SOMETIMES LIKE ....WELL , OUR REAL LIVES. HA HA HA. NO , WE ALL HAVE GOODSTORIES. Each paragraph is short , then you jump ahead a day , a month , years. Alice , much to her credit , lays it on the line about relationships , bandmates , an abusive Father , and , well , just being a Punk , and Latina , in LA at the time.  In no way does she convey that she feels sorry for herself.......I especially like "Sell Out" , "A Quick One'' and "My Generation". BUT , THEY HAD GOOD SONGS SPREAD OUT , EVEN INTO THEIR DECLINE. IT'S SOMEWHAT IRONIC THAT THE TWO BEST AND MOST WHO - LIKE SONGS ON "FACE DANCES" WERE WRITTEN BY ENTWISTLE.

• December 12, 2012 2:00 PM CST
    • HELLOOOOOO! iF YOU'RE STILL HERE , THANK YOU.

Seriously , this one's really funny.

"Easy Come , Easy Go" - Elvis Presley.

The line is actually : "So many girls , in every port . You've got to be a juggernaut.".

BUT , it sounds exactly like "You've gotta be a - jerkin' off" !!!

Extensive efforts were made on the part of The Estate of Elvis Presley , and probably Priscilla and The Colonel , to create the illusion that Elvis never cussed. A Thousand studio outtakes have since nuked that idea to smithereens. Unfortunately , the two best parts of "This Is Elvis " were later censored for home video. Whether he meant to say what it sounds exactly like he was saying , here.....WELL , HE WAS MISERABLE , DOING ALL THESE MOVIES , WHY COULD'NT HE HAVE HAD A FEW LAUGHS?

• December 11, 2012 7:52 PM CST
    • The Knaves' "Leave Me Alone" was kind of atypical of their repertoirre , but , everything on that Sundazed 10" is good. Those guys came out of the Folk SCENE THAT WAS GOING ON IN Old Town , in Chicago (Once the heart of the counterculture. NOT NO DAMNED MORE!) . THE INFAMOUS STORY GOES THAT THE SINGER SANG "LEAVE ME ALONE " (WHICH ALREADY SOUNDS LIKE HE HAD HIS MIDDLE FINGER OUT FOR THE DURATION.)LIVE ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS , BY CHANGING THE LINE"Why don't you choke yourself and leave me alone !" to "Why don't you FUCK yourself...".  Enough people who lived here , then , have confirmed this. One of my friends even saw him do an acoustic version in the early 70's , "F -Bomb" intact.

The other story goes that a High Schooler in Chicago was having an affair with a Teacher , and the Vice Principal found out , and was giving him Hell about it.....So , he decides to off the Vice Principal. The story goes that he bought a gun and a round of ammunition , and played "Leave Me Alone" over and over at a local teen hangout , while planning the kill , when he was apprehended by The Police. That story may or may not be true. bOTH STORIES WERE IN kICKS , BUT , SOME OF MY OLDER FRIENDS HAD HEARD THE LATTER TALE , ALSO. I met The Knaves' former Drummer a few years back. He also had an acoustic - based ,but angry , group called Yama and The Karma Dusters. i did'nt get a chance to ask if those stories were true.
      b.kult said:

Hi,

For me there's nothing like "the aztex - said move", this was THIS 1st song who brought me down to find how many bands like them did have that sound, that powerfull feeling you get when you spin that record on and on, because it never cease to amaze you :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeUrVRpzoJA

Second, also maybe from the BFTG era, comes "just too much - she gaves me time", raunchy wild tune i can't stop still listening :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj7LQDkAFXs

And recently, a more R&B one I just found AMAZING, from 1969, is that tune from "32nd turn off - used to be a tiger" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh7hwlWf2II

and last one, i promise, recently bought that Knave's LP repro from Sundazed, "the knaves - leave me alone", RAUNCHY tune ! :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDCXWsOCw6U

well, that's just my thoughts

• December 11, 2012 9:13 PM CST
    • I wouldn't call Duane Eddy country twang.....big bottom end guitar yes but not country twang.

The ones you mention are great. Louvin Brothers, great harmonies. All the artists you mention I love on vinyl. Play them alot. Junior Brown heck yeah. I love his "Guit-Steel Blues" song. Amazingly twangy.

Wayward mentioned Lefty. Gotta have Lefty.

Glad I found this thread. Hoping to meet others who love the ol twang of country.

• December 11, 2012 9:05 PM CST
    • Big fan of Sabbath here too. Love Kyuss, Overkill, Testament, Flotsam & Jetsom........witchfinder.......hell I could have just said "ditto"

Alex said:

This guy.  Big fan of the Sabbath, of course.  I also dig Saint Vitus (saw them live last year, and they put on quite a show), Kyuss, Sleep, The Sword, Buzzoven, Electric Wizard, Graveyard, Harvey Milk, Melvins, Monster Magnet, Orange Goblin, Pagan Altar, Red Fang, Witchfinder General, and Whores (more recent, album was produced by someone from Harvey Milk).

In a little more of a punk direction (and probably more appropriate for this website), I really like Lecherous Gaze (definitely a heavy Black Flag influence) and Witch (J. Masics plays drums in this punk/metal group).

• December 11, 2012 8:49 PM CST
    • Found this today:

• December 11, 2012 8:03 PM CST
    • "Think of a world where ART is the only motivation."
      Rob Tyner , Liner notes , "High Time". 
      dave said:

The music Business doesn't particulary like anything to be desperately dangerous. Popular taste is, ultimately, very conventional. And if you don't slot into that category, then you will find it fairly hard to survive in the music business.

- Geoffrey Haslam, producer, the MC5's High Time

• December 11, 2012 8:01 PM CST
    • YEAH. I know a lot of people don't like that song , but it's as much a descendant of "Louie Louie" as any of 'em. Plus , "?" DROPPED THE NAME "CHERIE" IN THE STILL - UNRELEASED SONG "( Let's Have a ) Party" , which has been in the band's set for more than 15 years.

THEIR NEW STUDIO ALBUM IS STILL SUPPOSED TO BE ON IT'S WAY......LET'S HOPE.