Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 15, 2012 12:07 PM CST
    • Not too shabby! Also check out Acid Mothers Temple, Bo Ningen and Boris. I'd rock hard if i wasn't soooooo munchied, haha

• December 14, 2012 12:01 AM CST

• This list is just "at the moment", and it goes into the fringes of accepted Stoner, but here goes.

First of all, All Hail Sabbath.  It all starts there, and for my money no one has come close.  But these are still a blast to listen to: 

Robot Lords of Tokyo, Dirty Power (they only did one album but serious ass was kicked), Sheavy, Greenleaf, Clutch, Alabama Thunderpussy, Radio Moscow, Ponemaro Sundown, Fu Manchu, Unida, Goatsnake (I know, I know, but I mix it in anyway), Blowback, Southfork... 

Apparently the top of my head doesn't hold as much info as it used to.  There are many more, but hell if I can remember who they are.

• December 13, 2012 8:19 PM CST
    • Yes , this sounds like it came from a place where there was so little Marijuana to go around , that The Grateful Dead could'nt get booked within 500 miles.

Alison said:

Tiger! Tiger! is most awesome garage rock:

John Battles said:

That is beautiful artwork.....Now , I'll probably be having about as much fun as I had finding the last couple of Subsonics records.....To say nothing of the new one that's apparently out.
       Are Tiger! Tiger! considered Stoner Rock? Innocent question , I only know them by name , and that the band also features Buffi Aguerro from The Subsonics and Vendettas ( Whose husband is Patrick O'Connor from The Woggles and , sometimes , The Subsonics. One of the last true gentlemen in Rock'n'Roll.).

• December 15, 2012 8:26 AM CST
    • Is it the instrument, or the role, that creates the ego, or is it the other way around? It's always best to have one creative leader and a few good soldiers.

• December 15, 2012 12:15 AM CST
    • Know the difference between a singer and a terrorist?
      You can negotiate with terrorists

How many singers are needed to change a lightbulb?
      One, and the world keeps on revolving around them.

• December 14, 2012 8:48 PM CST
    • The guitar player who used be the lead singer who's written all the songs but doesn't have the sex appeal and knows it but denies It.and spends every practice criticizing everything that I do!

• December 14, 2012 8:40 PM CST
    • Neither; she's the same person.

The drummer isn't allowed a microphone (that's me).

Which just leaves....... (waves hello at Caz...)

Unlikely!

D.

• December 14, 2012 3:54 PM CST
    • The lead singer who plays lead guitar is not a valid answer.  In that case, it's obvious: the drummer.

Answers from personal experience get double points.  Responses relating to your own current or previous bands get triple points.

And don't use terms like prima donna, diva, or bitch.  Misogyny is no longer in.

• December 15, 2012 7:56 AM CST
    • I dont remember motherfucker, maybe we had a censored version over here??

John Battles said:

DROOPER AND SNORK , MOTHERFUCKER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark George Harrison said:

Fleagle!

John Battles said:

Bingo.

If it makes a shed load of cash for a deserving cause then why not, its not like they're going to tour and start writing a new NirTles/BeaVana album!

• December 14, 2012 6:05 PM CST
    • DROOPER AND SNORK , MOTHERFUCKER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fleagle!

John Battles said:

Bingo.

If it makes a shed load of cash for a deserving cause then why not, its not like they're going to tour and start writing a new NirTles/BeaVana album!

• December 14, 2012 2:29 AM CST
    • Fleagle!

John Battles said:

Bingo.

• December 15, 2012 7:27 AM CST
    • Sent to me minutes ago. Debut single out on Monday. Check'em out

• December 15, 2012 6:31 AM CST
    • I will be on the air and the web on Saturday December 15th from 1:00-3:00PM EST.  You can listen at 89.7 WITR-FM in Rochester, NY or streaming live at http://witr.rit.edu . You know the drill.

• December 14, 2012 6:11 PM CST
    • YEAH !!! James Porter and I were lucky in that we had many chances to see Honeyboy Edwards , and he NEVER failed , not even well into his 90's.

Chris Henniker said:

I can't disagree with you on that, I could listen to them all day.

John Battles said:

ROBERT JOHNSON , BLIND LEMON JEFFERSON , MISSISSIPPI JOHN HURT , DAVE "HONEYBOY" EDWARDS , SON HOUSE , LEADBELLY , LIGHTNIN' HOPKINS , MANCE LIPSCOMB , AND A MILLION OTHERS ONLY MY UBER - GEEKASS COLLECTOR FRIENDS KNOW ABOUT.

• December 14, 2012 3:04 PM CST
    • I can't disagree with you on that, I could listen to them all day.

John Battles said:

ROBERT JOHNSON , BLIND LEMON JEFFERSON , MISSISSIPPI JOHN HURT , DAVE "HONEYBOY" EDWARDS , SON HOUSE , LEADBELLY , LIGHTNIN' HOPKINS , MANCE LIPSCOMB , AND A MILLION OTHERS ONLY MY UBER - GEEKASS COLLECTOR FRIENDS KNOW ABOUT.

• December 13, 2012 8:14 PM CST
    • ROBERT JOHNSON , BLIND LEMON JEFFERSON , MISSISSIPPI JOHN HURT , DAVE "HONEYBOY" EDWARDS , SON HOUSE , LEADBELLY , LIGHTNIN' HOPKINS , MANCE LIPSCOMB , AND A MILLION OTHERS ONLY MY UBER - GEEKASS COLLECTOR FRIENDS KNOW ABOUT.

• December 14, 2012 4:55 PM CST
    • Radio What Wave Playlist Dec 13/2012

1. Amy Rigby...Dancing With Joey Ramone...from the Little Fugitive CD. Since we did all female rockers last week, thought we'd play some female power pop to get this show rolling.

Amy Rigby and her husband Wreckless Eric at Western University

2. The Excessories....Another Day...from the Pure Pop For Punk People CD on SFTRI. This one features the husband and wife team of Rich and Melanie Coffee.

3. Uranus...Motorbikin'...from Slippery's Club Hits cassette that comes with What Wave 24. Meant to play The Hippies track but screwed up...

4. Stolen Minks...Viola...from their High Kicks CD. Halifax all female combo that played London a few times a couple of years ago.

The Stolen Minks at Call The Office   8/17/07

5. The Damnsells...This City's Dead..from their first 7" from 2007. East coast combo and now one of them lives right here in London.

6. The Hippies...Can Teens...from Slippery's Club Hits...

7. Riff Randalls...Double Cross...from the LP of the same name. Vancouver combo who released this LP on Alien Snatch Records.

8. A-Bones...Gonna Be Loved...from the Tempo Tantrum 10" on Exile Records. Miriam and Billy of Norton/Kicks fame's combo. And Norton Records still needs our help with the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.

9. Mickey Baker...Midnight Midnight...from the Atlantic Blues Guitar compilation LP and for Mickey who passed away last week.

10. Mickey and Sylvia...No Good Lover...from one of the Lux And Ivy Faves compilations.

11. Spirit...I Got A Line On You....from their Greatest Hits LP and goes out to Ed Cassidy, their drummer who passed away recently. The Fleshtones cover this tune live.

12. Ananda Shankar...Streets Of Calcutta...from the CD compilation Asian Underground and goes out to Ananada's uncle, Ravi Shankar who just passed away.

13. Dragsville...Remember Me...recorded live at Brennan's 11/3/12. This combo is playing on saturday night at The St Regis Hotel. This song really reminds me of Panther Burns/Tav Falco.

14. Lee Hazelwood...Girl  On Death Row...from the CD compilation, The Twang Gang and features Duane Eddy on guitar.

15. Orie Hitt Machine...Killer Inside Me...a demo from this London Ontario combo and has a similar guitar lick to the previous tune.

16. Warren Johnson and The Drag Kings...instro...recorded live at The Brunswick, 4/19/96. Don't know anything about this combo, but i was there taping this show when they opened for local rockabilly combo, Viv Sun and the Black Holes. Can anyone shed some light on this combo????

17. Bitchlove...Shoot You...from the Society split 7" with B10. Local combo on a lathe cut record and thanx to Kyle Embassy for supplying us with this!

18. Los Chicos Problema...Secuestradao En Otro Planeta....Mexican duo that shred!!!

19. The Ills...Panik...from their brand new Tuning Out CD.

20. The noble Savages...Fire In The World...brand new demo from this Hamilton Ontario combo that blows me away!

21. 101'ers....Keys To Your Heart...from the Elgin Avenue Breakdown CD and features a young Joe Strummer. Saturday Dec 22nd there is a tribute to Joe at Call The Office, called Minstrel Boy. Crooked Beat will be playing 2 sets of Clash material (back and rested after their Japanese tour) and local legends NFG will be opening.

22. The Clash...Capitol Radio...from the double The Story Of The Clash LP.

23. The Clash...White Riot...as above.

24. The Evaporators...Higgle-Ly-Piggle-Ly...from the Teenage Zit Rock Angst LP that Nardwuar released in 1995. And this goes out to Nardwuar as he won a lifetime achievement award in the Buckys on CBC3 Radio!! Congrats Nardwuar!!

25.The noble Savages...She's So Serious...another brand new demo from these Hamilton Ontario punks!!

Thanx for all the phone-ins, emails, facebook messages and Hey's!! And thanx for tuning in to some real valve rock'n'roll! Back next week with more noise.

Here's a link to the archived show:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave#prev-shows

• December 14, 2012 3:27 PM CST
    • Haven't heard any new stuff, but I just found this by a Montreal band, Grand Trine.

It's a moody, atmospheric rocker, Grand Trine - Say It

• December 14, 2012 1:43 PM CST
    • Show #401: "The TeenBeat Mayhem Top 100 U.S. Garage Rock Single Sides Of All Time, Part 2"

Every 3 weeks I leave an open slot to do random themes and whatnot. This week is "The TeenBeat Mayhem Top 100 U.S. Garage Rock Single Sides Of All Time". TeenBeat Mayhem is a book commemorating all the forgotten American teen rock-n-roll bands of the 1960's, primarily focused on the 45 rpm single, written by Mike Markesich (aka MopTop Mike), published by Priceless Info Press, and released earlier this year. I've been enamored with this book since I acquired it this summer, a book that many of us 60's music collectors had been jonesing for since it's original announcement about 2 years ago. Not only does the book have detailed and correctly documented discographies on over 4500 American garage and rock-n-roll combos of the 1960's, it also contains a ranking system, in which 14 of the world's biggest garage rock 45 collectors of the world partook in (including Mike). Nearly each song documented has a rank in a 1 to 10 scale, 1 being weak, 10 being essential... the "Garageometer" ranking system is basically intended to be used as a guideline for the collector who is unfamiliar with a recording, so that if a song is ranked high, then maybe it's worth putting out the cash for that record (cuz c'mon...if the top 14 garage rock collectors of the world can't convince you that it's a great song, then don't bother!).

Toward the end of the book there's a top 1000, which collects and compiles the ranked songs in descending order. Tonight, I am playing the top 100 of this countdown in descending order, and tonight's show is part 2: #50 to #1 of the greatest American garage rock single-sides of all time. The rules for inclusion are: all songs featured were pressed or released on a 45 rpm single, demo/acetate record, from the original garage rock era (1960's to early 1970s), or first issued or pressed within a five year span after it's original recording. So this disqualifies any unissued songs that have been since released from discovered tape sources, and also disqualifies any song that was issued solely on an LP and not a single.

Details on the groups featured tonight will be kept to a minimum, and primarily focused on the music itself. More information on TeenBeat Mayhem can be found at pricelessinfopress.com.

TUNE IN TONIGHT FOR WHAT COULD BE ONE-HALF OF THE GREATEST GARAGE ROCK RADIO BROADCAST TO EVER AIR IN THE HISTORY OF RADIO!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• December 14, 2012 2:27 AM CST
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKMmyuEIAPE

There you go JB, within five minutes you have all the accents mentioned, its the only UK programme that I could think of that has that many different accents in it.

John Battles said:

No , actually , that made a whole lot of sense , NOW THAT YOU'VE BROKEN IT DOWN LIKE YOU HAVE. When I was in High School , I had one friend from Bristol , one from London , and one from Sussex . He was the "Vyvian" lookalike in my first little band.Sometimes acted a bit like him , too. Then I knew a couple of other English people I met at work. I just thought of them all as having ENGLISH accents at the time , tho' , yes , one differed from the other, somewhat...... I don't even know that many people from The UK , here in Chicago. But , I grew up believing there were only a few variations on The English , or even the Scottish , Welsh or Irish accents. Of course , I was mistaken.

The accent varies from town to town in the UK JB, the town 8 miles from me has a completely different accent to us. All the big cities have a different dialect and the smaller towns/villages near them have variations, you can pick the rough area someones from very easily here.

Only people from Newcastle would consider themselves Geordies, not even Sunderland or Middlesborough which are next to it are, they're from the north east.

The black country is Birmingham, Wolverhampton etc. but only people from Birmingham are Brummies, confused?? I am!

Moxie is a character from "auf wiedersehen pet', hes a Scouser, from Liverpool, the north west. Cant remember where his nick name came from. Its a good programme to watch to hear a lot of English accents. Pat Roach, aka 'Bomber" on the programme is from Bristol so you get all points of England covered. 

Bostin used to mean that something was good, and was used by Fuzzbox for their album for that reason, Bostin Steve Austin was also used, it was a Birmingham slang term.

Hope that helps, it probably doesn't, even living here I sometimes struggle with people if their accents are very broad, and then when you try to understand Aberdonians or someone from Devon! Help! subtitles please!
      John Battles said:

OK , YOU'VE KIND OF LOST ME , AND YET , I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN TO SAY. I'VE ALWAYS BEEN TOLD , BY ENGLISH PEOPLE , THAT PEOPLE THAT FAR NORTH , BLACK COUNTRY INCLUDED , WERE GEORDIES.  
      IF (AND WHEN) THAT WAS A GENERALIZATION , IT WAS'NT MEANT AS ONE.

TO FURTHER GENERALIZE : YOU'RE LUCKY IF YOU MEET AN AMERICAN THAT EVEN KNOWS NORTHERNERS AND SOUTHERNERS  IN ENGLAND HAVE DIFFERENT ACCENTS , AND BOTH DIFFER FROM LONDONERS. THAT'S ME GENERALIZING ABOUT MY COUNTRYMEN , BUT , IT'S TRUE , UNLESS YOU'VE TRAVELLED BRITAIN , TIP TO TOE (MAYBE AUSTIN VINCE WILL LET ME DO A GUEST SPOT AS THE "OUT OF IT AMERICAN TOURIST"ON ONE OF HIS ROAD TRIP SHOWS !) , YOU WOULD'NT BE AWARE OF THAT. OF COURSE , IT'S THAT WAY , HERE , TOO , BUT , I THINK WE THINK OF OUR COUNTRY AS HAVING HALF A DOZEN ACCENTS , INSTEAD OF GOD KNOWS HOW MANY.....

SO , IS "BOSTIN'" A VARIATION OF BIRMINGHAMSPEAK , THEN ? IT'S AN INNOCENT QUESTION , I REALLY DON'T KNOW. I ONLY KNEW THAT EXPRESSION FROM THE (UK) FUZZBOX LP. AND , "MOXIE" ? IS THAT AN ABBREVIATION FOR A WELL KNOWN TOWN?

IN THE US , MOXIE MEANS BALLS , AND /OR A BRAND OF SODA THAT I THINK IS STILL MADE IN VERY LIMITED QUANTITIES.

Bloody hell JB! you can't call someone from the 'black country' a geordie! Both as difficult to understand but a lot different. If you watch an old episode of 'auf wiedersen pet' to hear geordies (os, Dennis and Neville) and Barry (a brummie) you also get a scouser in Moxie and a 'cockney' in Wayne. A nice little mix of English dialects with a bit of German thrown in as well! 'Barry' (Timothy Spall) is actually a cockney in real life but his accent is really good, in fact its 'Bostin" as they say in Brum!

John Battles said:

Mark George , I almost forgot about the "Buddy Holly "album that turns out to be Richie Valens  !!!! THAT'S ALL KINDS OF WRONG . Maybe they could'nt get permission to actually use a Buddy Holly NUMBER (EXCEPT FOR A TITLE) , AND RINGO'S FORMER BANDMATE WAS A FEW YEARS AWAY FROM OWNING HOLLY'S BACK CATALOGUE. In any case , why not just show the record , but not play it , or say "Hey , This is the Richie Valens record I waited for."

It's not Rocket Surgery. I REMEMBER READING SOME REVIEWS OF "SLADE in "FLAME" " , complaining that it was'nt the latter day " Hard Day's Night" fans expected....But , maybe , it's that it WAS'NT what anyone had a right to expect that makes it a better film , today.

I just say , to anyone who's never seen it , look at it with an open mind. They were exposing their distaste with an industry that had opened so many doors for them , but , now, was showing them the door. They kept making good records. I'm not saying they were remarkably consistent , but their early 80's "All guns blazing" comeback with Reading , "Slade on Stage " , "We'll Bring The House Down" , etc., took no prisoners , I don't think even their hardcore fans saw it coming. They almost became stars in America soon after, too , with "Run , Run Away" , but were'nt able to tour, in earnest , to capitalize on it's success. Rather, they refused to , Jimmy Lea , I think , was in a car crash , and they refused to tour, with a stand -in ,  until he recovered. 

I think the movie flopped in America , not because Slade were unknown. I knew 'em , and I was 10 or 11 years old , but , they did have a limited audience , and they fought harder than Bolan or Sweet to get ahold of a US following and KEEP it. It flopped because we don't speak Geordie ! Of course , today , Viz comics have proven a great boon to me in that department.

never seen the Roky film, shall have a look for it.

Stardust is ok for its time, took me a while to realise Ringo had been replaced with Adam Faith, with a limp from when he got beaten up in TBTD!

My favourite bit in TBTD is when David Essex picks up a Buddy Holly album and says he's waited ages to play it, puts it on the dansette and Richie Valens starts crooning Donna!

Slade in Fame was dark as you say JB, I remember it coming out at the time and Slade fans were really disappointed because it wasn't what they expected, it is as you say really well acted, might have a look on Amazon for a copy.

John Battles said:

The Stray Cats in "That'll Be The Day" was a fictional band built around Dave Edmunds. I know you knew that , but , it reads like you were referring to  the well known band of that name (SADLY , The Rockabilly Revival  pretty much began and ended in America with them .). I've never seen "Stardust " , though. "The Stray Cats " were credited on the soundtrack.

Setzer claims it was a coincidence that his future producer's movie band had the same name as his real - life band. If you liked that band, though , you'll love Nilsson's pub band in "Son of Dracula "- Moon , Bonham , Frampton and Entwistle or Voorman , I forget , they all go by so fast , except Keith , who gets , like , a minute - long drum solo.

You know , I've only watched "Slade in Flame", once. I was surprised that they could really ACT. It's got a very dark tone for a good - timey band like Slade , though they were about to enter their own Dark Ages. They were getting heavily into not - so heavy tunes , but , the soundtrack holds up well. You've got to love Noddy's Screaming Lord Sutch parody , too.

There was serious talk of a biopic on Roky , several years ago , but , it never came about. Perhaps it will , someday.....

It's true , if they really told his story , a lot of people would'nt believe it.

Roky's Son , Jegar , did a very good short film , in which he portrays his Dad. Even though he favors his Mom , Dana , he went to great lengths to make himself look uncannily like Roky.

• December 14, 2012 1:28 AM CST
    • Thanks a lot. And it's a great start. I pull everything off of youtube and post a half hour to an hour's worth of stuff.  My friends love it, it would seem.

I started buying too many reissues or just older albums I forgot to buy during the 80s and 90s during the last decade.  I really love King Kahn and the Shrines.

• December 13, 2012 9:18 PM CST
    • Here are some "rocking" songs I have enjoyed since 2000:

2000: Compulsive Gamblers "The Way I Feel About You"
      2001: Deadly Snakes "West Texas Sound"
      2002: The Von Bondies - "It Came From Japan"
      2003: The Kills - "Cat Claw"
      2004: Sons and Daughters - "Johnny Cash"
      2005: Les Sexareenos - "Everybody Sexareeno"
      2006: Jay Reatard - "Blood Visions"
      2007: King Khan & the Shrines - "Land of the Freak"
      2008: Nobunny - "I am a Girlfriend"
      2009: Those Darlins - "Red Light love"
      2010: Ty Segall - "My Sunshine"
      2011: Night Beats - "Puppet on a String"
      2012: King Tuff - "Bad Thing"

• December 13, 2012 8:09 PM CST
    • BOY ,THAT'S A TOUGH CALL , AND NOT BECAUSE NOTHING GOOD CAME OUT FROM 2000 TO 2012 , JUST NOTHING THAT LEAPS RIGHT OUT AT ME......BUT , I'LL GIVE IT SOME THOUGHT. I KNOW ROCK'N'ROLL AND THINKIN' DON'T MIX , BUT I'LL DO SO IN MODERATION.