Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 19, 2012 1:46 PM CST
    • IN LIVE VENUES , THE SOUND MIGHT BE TERRIBLE FOR VARIOUS REASONS. sOMETIMES , THE PA JUST SUCKS , AND SOMETIMES , THE SOUNDMAN IS A FRUSTRATED "DANCE" DJ , WHO CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF THE BASS AND DRUMS . WHEN UNTAMED YOUTH FINALLY GOT TO PLAY IN CHICAGO FOR THE FIRST TIME  , 10 YEARS OR MORE AFTER THEY FIRST TRIED TO GET SHOWS , HERE , THE SOUNDMAN HAD THE BASS AND DRUMS JACKED UP SO HIGH , THE GUITAR AND KEYBOARDS , A BIG PART OF UT'S SOUND , WAS RENDERED ALMOST INAUDIBLE. I'D SEEN THEM ONCE , BUT , I WAS STILL FURIOUS ABOUT THIS..........................
      Stoned Again Productions said:

Audible vocals are the biggie for me.  If I have to strain to hear what the singer is saying I lose interest.  More so on recordings rather than live shows. At live shows it is expected and common. Besides some venues just have crappy PA's. I know quite a few here in Austin that do. Not always the bands fault. To me the vocals are the most important part of a song. This is from a music listener standpoint, and not a musicians because I can't play music. I have noticed by working with musicians over the years that the two are very different in opinion.

Secondly I pay attention to the guitarist. If he / she is down with some groovin guitar work, rippin solos, fuzz buzz,  I am a fan.

Just a personal preference.

• December 19, 2012 1:08 PM CST
    • All of the above!

But for me, reverb drenched guitars, primitive jungle beats, the attitude you hear from the band. 

• December 19, 2012 12:57 PM CST
    • It's all about the 'hooks'. That catchy snippet that goes round in your head & you sing/immitate along to. It can be any of the instuments etc... the more the merrier!

For me, it's all about the song. Style is an extra bonus, & i dont mind crappy recording, or even playing... i'd rather hear a bad recording of a great song, than a great recording of a bad song!

• December 19, 2012 12:32 PM CST
    • Audible vocals are the biggie for me.  If I have to strain to hear what the singer is saying I lose interest.  More so on recordings rather than live shows. At live shows it is expected and common. Besides some venues just have crappy PA's. I know quite a few here in Austin that do. Not always the bands fault. To me the vocals are the most important part of a song. This is from a music listener standpoint, and not a musicians because I can't play music. I have noticed by working with musicians over the years that the two are very different in opinion.

Secondly I pay attention to the guitarist. If he / she is down with some groovin guitar work, rippin solos, fuzz buzz,  I am a fan.

Just a personal preference.

• December 19, 2012 9:23 AM CST
    • I did, and thanks for adding, which is what I was hoping for on this thread.  There are a load of things people hear in music that turns them on, and I hope they share it.

kopper said:

You forgot THE BEAT!

• December 19, 2012 8:30 AM CST
    • yes please and thank you i'll take a dozen of all the above for sure...it's all on how it tickles that spot deep inside us all that just sends us into that musical bliss thank you for the creation of garagepunk an mrr podcasts makes it so much easier to explain an share music

• December 19, 2012 5:21 AM CST
    • i love anything with a Vox Continental. Especialy the more heavy side

• December 19, 2012 3:38 AM CST
    • Drummer -- I can put up with average, competent guitar-playing and average vocals, but if the drummer isn't any good, I'm pretty much GORN.

That said, it's not one thing you can put your finger, or should I say, ear on that makes something work -- I like garagepunk cuz you don't have long to pissfart around you know? Go ahead and say what you have to say in less than 3 please. So, in that sense, it has to be a pretty intense burst of energy, cleverness to make the right kind of noise.

• December 18, 2012 8:47 PM CST
    • You forgot THE BEAT!

• December 19, 2012 1:39 PM CST
    • No , The Rats definitely were'nt '63 (Probaby '66 OR LATE 65. i FORGET) . THEIR MAGNUM OPUS (as tHE MYSTICS , i THINK....?) WAS "Snoopy". sOME PEOPLE ON YOU TUBE HANDOUT FALSE INFORMATION , WHEN THE TRUTH IS'NT HARD TO FIND....

• December 19, 2012 12:39 PM CST
    •  (The Rats wasnt '63 , though a youtube clip claims it is, but The Kingsmen's cut of Louie Louie in 63)  I guess Screamin' Jay Hawkins is tickin a few boxes with some earlier stuff... '56 & '57...

• December 19, 2012 3:40 AM CST
    • Don't forget the "SpaZZ" Elastik Band !

"The CrUsHer" by The NOVAS....snicker

"TiLL ThE FollOWing Night" SCreAminG LoRD SUTch... YeHaw

• December 18, 2012 7:41 PM CST
    • WEEELLLLLLL
        I'm sure there is , but it would take some thinking , and Garage Punk and Thinking don't go together...
      Trash Freak said:

Is there anything as punk/trashy as The Rats- Rats Revenge, pre 1963?!?

• December 18, 2012 7:37 PM CST
    • I know some of those tunes had to be post - '63 , like , if I'm not mistaken , John Fred - Boogie Chillun (Line Dancing Rockabilly Chicks international anthem) , Bunker Hill/Link Wray - Hide and Seek Pt. 1 and 2 ,  Floyd Dakil - Dance , Frannie , Dance etc, , but , yes , mostly before 1963. It's like Pebbles , tho'. Got , like 11 volumes , about 20 + years ago , but , I don't listen to them very often , now.....Some of my favorites are Kai Ray - I Want Some
       of That , Tommy Martin and The XLs - The Hoochie Coochie (WHACKED !!!)......
      dave said:

Have you checked out any of the Rockabilly/R&B comps, like DESPERATE ROCK AND ROLL? Hard to get a date on that stuff, but def. some Kraaazy! stuff there, and most of it has to be pre-63. Go to the Crypt site. Hope that helps.

• December 18, 2012 6:21 PM CST
    • HELL YEAH

Trash Freak said:

Love this version!

• December 18, 2012 5:38 PM CST
    • Have you checked out any of the Rockabilly/R&B comps, like DESPERATE ROCK AND ROLL? Hard to get a date on that stuff, but def. some Kraaazy! stuff there, and most of it has to be pre-63. Go to the Crypt site. Hope that helps.

• December 19, 2012 1:34 PM CST
    • That's pretty funny. There were a lot of X-Rated Country songs in the 70's , many of which appear on the soundtrack to "John Waters' Dirty Shame".

Mark George Harrison said:

It'd have to b a country song  'I cant remember the last time you blew me, and I cant be arsed to google it!'   or something along those lines??

John Battles said:

I forgot about Mitch Mitchell , but, of course , the "Big" Three , Davey Jones , Steve Marriott and Jack Wild (Well into his teens. Well , I guess they ALL were.), all played The Artful Dodger. Rumors that Ian Anderson was being considered for the part of Mad Dog Fagin in the film version are greatly exaggerated.  "I can't be arsed to google it." THAT'S A SONG TITLE !

I think the American kid was called 'Spring?', cant remember and cant be arsed to google it.

Davey jones was in long-running soap opera Coronation street and was quite well known, I also read today that Mitch Mitchell was a child actor as well, nearly forgot little Steve Marriott was the Artful Dodger, seems to be the choice for the 'little people' to start their careers.

John Battles said:

Mark George , I don't even remember an American kid on "The Double Deckers" , but , I think gas was about 75 CENTS A GALLON THE LAST TIME I saw it.....Yep , Lil' Mickey Dolenz and "Circus Boy" , what'd Davey do before "Oliver!"? He may have merely been mistaken for a child ! No , I'm sure he went back futher than that.....But , Brandon Cruz , Butch Patrick , Robbie Rist , and Mason Reese all turned up in Punk or New Wave bands.

Dick Dodd of The Standells , of course , was one of The Mousketeers , back when that organization bred some REAL talent.

Unrelated : Chris Connolly  once told me the wee small bairn on The Stupid Babies' MAGNUM OPUS , "BABY SITTERS" ("BABY SITTERS , BABY SITTERS , ME.....HATE....BABY...SITTERS !!!!".) grew up to become Adamski. Well , you can't win 'em all. Also , Danny Bonaduce did a guest spot on a Redd Kross (As Tater Totz) album. When he relocated to Chicago to do talk radio on WLUP , he led a band with friends from the studio for a while. Not my scene , but , he was pretty funny when he wanted to be.

He is indeed, Brinsley Ford has been in Aswad from the start, they were a band who 'jumped the shark', from respected reggae band to bland pop shite!

The leader of the double deckers, who's name escapes me, is still acting and appears on TV recently, dunno what happened to the rest. I wonder if you got it in America because there was an American kid in it??

Child star rock 'n' roll, two in the Monkees for a start!

John Battles said:

Oh , boy. We'll be picking out the furniture , soon , won't we ? Seriously , though , it's good to know that so many of the programs we grew up with were just as popular overseas. The only English show we ever got was "The Double Deckers". They'd show that on Sunday , when Saturday morning was Kiddie Prime Time. I heard the Black kid on that show grew up to be a member of Aswad. That's another thread ....Child Star Rock'n'Roll. 

You never fail to bring a smile to my face JB!

John Battles said:

Mark George , Yeah , I think you're right. We had a bear , who was kind of a radical political frontman.  , on early episodes of "The Banana Splits", which were'nt shown in The UK . He had this great big afro , wore wild clothes .....He turned up later on "The Hair Bear Bunch". He wrote some early songs for The Banana Splits , like "Kick Out The Jams , Jellies , and Honeys", "The American Zoos" ,  ''Black To Honeycomm (sic)", and "I Want You Right Now (Pickanic Basket!)" . Rumor has it , he changed his name to M*** F**** to avoid the draft. But , when Queen Elizabeth correctly identified him on a quiz show , it was all over , he was carried off to Ringling Brothers' Circus , to the chants of "DRAFT BEER , NOT BEARS !!!". 

• December 19, 2012 12:35 PM CST
    • Just listened to all those in a row. Damn fine selections!

Alison said:

Here are some "rocking" songs I have enjoyed since 2000:

2000: Compulsive Gamblers "The Way I Feel About You"
      2001: Deadly Snakes "West Texas Sound"
      2002: The Von Bondies - "It Came From Japan"
      2003: The Kills - "Cat Claw"
      2004: Sons and Daughters - "Johnny Cash"
      2005: Les Sexareenos - "Everybody Sexareeno"
      2006: Jay Reatard - "Blood Visions"
      2007: King Khan & the Shrines - "Land of the Freak"
      2008: Nobunny - "I am a Girlfriend"
      2009: Those Darlins - "Red Light love"
      2010: Ty Segall - "My Sunshine"
      2011: Night Beats - "Puppet on a String"
      2012: King Tuff - "Bad Thing"

• December 19, 2012 9:39 AM CST
    • I understand where you're coming from on this thread.  I'm not sure if you're into garage psychedelia, but the Orange Alabaster Mushroom released the Compendium album in 2001, which contained stuff from 1991-92 and 1998-99.  Side B of the album is 1998-99, and if my calculation is correct, that's where you were at yesterday and are at today, respectively. 

Not sure if what I've said is relevant, but that's what sticks out in my mind from those years.  Hope it helps in some way.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

Anybody else?  I'm really coming up close to 2000 on my daily countdown (I'm at 1998) and the only thing I can think of is a record I really shouldn't have bought which was Rock Star God by the Makers.

• December 19, 2012 11:04 AM CST
    • yeah, we ditched the server and now post via blogspot/rapidshare. unfortunately those old shows are gone. we're still posting new editions weekly @ rockandrollradio.org

• December 19, 2012 9:16 AM CST
    • I'm a fan of Sun God Replica. Not sure if there is much on the net about them but they're from Melbourne Australia. They do have Stoner / Rock overtones

• December 19, 2012 5:24 AM CST
    • Really loving this thread. Discoverd some great bands here ive never heard before!

• December 19, 2012 2:41 AM CST

• Joey Fuckup said:

Damn, care to make me some comps? Or would you by chance have a way of putting all this in a zip file?  ;)
      ShapelyDice said:

A few weeks ago I made a series of comps for a friend who is into electronic nonsense (ugh...).  Three comps, each with 22 tracks, for a total of 66, as in the year 1966.  Great, huh?  Anyway, this was my attempt to "convert" him to garage.  I titled my comps "Murky Mysteries From the Savage Sixties."  I'll post them here so you can see what I included:

MURKY MYSTERIES FROM THE SAVAGE SIXTIES
      1. The Vectors – Paisley Haze
      2. Art Guy – Where You Gonna Go
      3. The Bittersweet – She Lied
      4. The Younger Brothers – Go Away
      5. The Keggs – To Find Out
      6. Dennis and the Times – Flight Patterns
      7. The Sound Barrier – Hey, Hey
      8. Licorice Schtick – Flowers, Flowers
      9. Silk Winged Alliance – Hometown
      10. The Remaining Few – Painted Air
      11. The Chob – We’re Pretty Quick
      12. The Colony – Things on My Mind
      13. It’s Us – Don’t Want Your Lovin’
      14. Kiriae Crucible – Salem Witch Trials
      15. The Wave-Riders – Ain’t It a Shame
      16. The Eastern Alliance – Love Fades Away
      17. The Burgundy Runn – Stop!
      18. Children of the Mushroom – August Mademoiselle
      19. Richard Pash and the Back Door Society – I’m the Kind
      20. The Assortment – Bless Our Hippie Home
      21. The Human Expression – Readin’ Your Will
      22. Godfrey – Let’s Take a Trip

MURKY MYSTERIES FROM THE SAVAGE SIXTIES II
      1. Magical Mist – Time Out to Fly
      2. The Tremors – Wondering Why
      3. The Painted Ship – Frustration
      4. Teddy and His Patches – Suzy Creamcheese
      5. The Outcasts – 1523 Blair
      6. The Us Too Group – Girl With the Golden Hair
      7. The Savages – The World Ain’t Round, It’s Square
      8. The Painted Faces – Anxious Color
      9. Just Two Guys – I’m Free
      10. Park Avenue Playground – The Trip
      11. The Jesters of Newport – Stormy
      12. The Weads – Don’t Call My Name
      13. The Mind’s Eye – Help, I’m Lost
      14. The Hazards – Hey Joe
      15. The Human Expression – Every Night
      16. The Dearly Beloved – Flight 13
      17. The Big Town Boys – August 32nd
      18. Tyde – Psychedelic Pill
      19. Crystal Chandelier – Setting of Despair
      20. The Wee Four – Weird
      21. The Graveyard Five – Marble Orchard
      22. The Raven – Calamity Jane

MURKY MYSTERIES FROM THE SAVAGE SIXTIES III
      1. Graf Zepplin – You’re in My Mind
      2. The Baytovens – My House
      3. The Warlocks – Mindbender (Confusion’s Prince)
      4. The Shades of Night – Fluctuation
      5. T.C. Atlantic – Faces
      6. The Explorers – Blue Flavored Lollipop
      7. Aluminum Dream – Strangers Calling
      8. The Monacles – I Can’t Win
      9. The Beaux Jens – She Was Mine
      10. The Mustard Men – I Lost My Baby
      11. The Buck Rogers Movement – Baby Come On
      12. The Stoics – Enough of What I Need
      13. The Bees – Voice Green and Purple
      14. The Tides In – Trip With Me
      15. Fe-Fi-Four Plus 2 – I Wanna Come Back (From the World of LSD)
      16. Los Chijuas – Changing the Colors of Life
      17. The Five Canadians – Writing on the Wall
      18. The Shaynes – From My Window
      19. The Other Half – The Girl With the Long Black Hair
      20. Oscar and the Majestics – House of the Rising Sun
      21.The Outsiders – She’s Coming On Stronger
      22. The Psychotics – If You Don’t Believe Me, Don’t

Let me know what you think.  I had initially rummaged through all my stuff to pick out the ones I thought needed to be included, and I had well over 150 tracks.  I thought that was too much, so I shortened it to 66. 

• December 18, 2012 6:14 PM CST
    • Hasil Adkins, Pinche Gringo (Drummer for The Spins, Paint Fumes)