Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 7, 2012 2:29 PM CST

• Mark George , I almost forgot about the "Buddy Holly "album that turns out to be Richie Valens  !!!! THAT'S ALL KINDS OF WRONG . Maybe they could'nt get permission to actually use a Buddy Holly NUMBER (EXCEPT FOR A TITLE) , AND RINGO'S FORMER BANDMATE WAS A FEW YEARS AWAY FROM OWNING HOLLY'S BACK CATALOGUE. In any case , why not just show the record , but not play it , or say "Hey , This is the Richie Valens record I waited for."

It's not Rocket Surgery. I REMEMBER READING SOME REVIEWS OF "SLADE in "FLAME" " , complaining that it was'nt the latter day " Hard Day's Night" fans expected....But , maybe , it's that it WAS'NT what anyone had a right to expect that makes it a better film , today.

I just say , to anyone who's never seen it , look at it with an open mind. They were exposing their distaste with an industry that had opened so many doors for them , but , now, was showing them the door. They kept making good records. I'm not saying they were remarkably consistent , but their early 80's "All guns blazing" comeback with Reading , "Slade on Stage " , "We'll Bring The House Down" , etc., took no prisoners , I don't think even their hardcore fans saw it coming. They almost became stars in America soon after, too , with "Run , Run Away" , but were'nt able to tour, in earnest , to capitalize on it's success. Rather, they refused to , Jimmy Lea , I think , was in a car crash , and they refused to tour, with a stand -in ,  until he recovered. 

I think the movie flopped in America , not because Slade were unknown. I knew 'em , and I was 10 or 11 years old , but , they did have a limited audience , and they fought harder than Bolan or Sweet to get ahold of a US following and KEEP it. It flopped because we don't speak Geordie ! Of course , today , Viz comics have proven a great boon to me in that department.
      Mark George Harrison said:

never seen the Roky film, shall have a look for it.

Stardust is ok for its time, took me a while to realise Ringo had been replaced with Adam Faith, with a limp from when he got beaten up in TBTD!

My favourite bit in TBTD is when David Essex picks up a Buddy Holly album and says he's waited ages to play it, puts it on the dansette and Richie Valens starts crooning Donna!

Slade in Fame was dark as you say JB, I remember it coming out at the time and Slade fans were really disappointed because it wasn't what they expected, it is as you say really well acted, might have a look on Amazon for a copy.

John Battles said:

The Stray Cats in "That'll Be The Day" was a fictional band built around Dave Edmunds. I know you knew that , but , it reads like you were referring to  the well known band of that name (SADLY , The Rockabilly Revival  pretty much began and ended in America with them .). I've never seen "Stardust " , though. "The Stray Cats " were credited on the soundtrack.

Setzer claims it was a coincidence that his future producer's movie band had the same name as his real - life band. If you liked that band, though , you'll love Nilsson's pub band in "Son of Dracula "- Moon , Bonham , Frampton and Entwistle or Voorman , I forget , they all go by so fast , except Keith , who gets , like , a minute - long drum solo.

You know , I've only watched "Slade in Flame", once. I was surprised that they could really ACT. It's got a very dark tone for a good - timey band like Slade , though they were about to enter their own Dark Ages. They were getting heavily into not - so heavy tunes , but , the soundtrack holds up well. You've got to love Noddy's Screaming Lord Sutch parody , too.

There was serious talk of a biopic on Roky , several years ago , but , it never came about. Perhaps it will , someday.....

It's true , if they really told his story , a lot of people would'nt believe it.

Roky's Son , Jegar , did a very good short film , in which he portrays his Dad. Even though he favors his Mom , Dana , he went to great lengths to make himself look uncannily like Roky.

• December 7, 2012 12:32 PM CST
    • never seen the Roky film, shall have a look for it.

Stardust is ok for its time, took me a while to realise Ringo had been replaced with Adam Faith, with a limp from when he got beaten up in TBTD!

My favourite bit in TBTD is when David Essex picks up a Buddy Holly album and says he's waited ages to play it, puts it on the dansette and Richie Valens starts crooning Donna!

Slade in Fame was dark as you say JB, I remember it coming out at the time and Slade fans were really disappointed because it wasn't what they expected, it is as you say really well acted, might have a look on Amazon for a copy.

John Battles said:

The Stray Cats in "That'll Be The Day" was a fictional band built around Dave Edmunds. I know you knew that , but , it reads like you were referring to  the well known band of that name (SADLY , The Rockabilly Revival  pretty much began and ended in America with them .). I've never seen "Stardust " , though. "The Stray Cats " were credited on the soundtrack.

Setzer claims it was a coincidence that his future producer's movie band had the same name as his real - life band. If you liked that band, though , you'll love Nilsson's pub band in "Son of Dracula "- Moon , Bonham , Frampton and Entwistle or Voorman , I forget , they all go by so fast , except Keith , who gets , like , a minute - long drum solo.

You know , I've only watched "Slade in Flame", once. I was surprised that they could really ACT. It's got a very dark tone for a good - timey band like Slade , though they were about to enter their own Dark Ages. They were getting heavily into not - so heavy tunes , but , the soundtrack holds up well. You've got to love Noddy's Screaming Lord Sutch parody , too.

There was serious talk of a biopic on Roky , several years ago , but , it never came about. Perhaps it will , someday.....

It's true , if they really told his story , a lot of people would'nt believe it.

Roky's Son , Jegar , did a very good short film , in which he portrays his Dad. Even though he favors his Mom , Dana , he went to great lengths to make himself look uncannily like Roky.

• December 7, 2012 2:06 PM CST
    • Was that the dog's full name ? That would be funny. I always thought it was just Mark Farner. I knew Jeff Coffe (King Vitamin , BHS Drummer) , IN PASSING , WE HAD , or have , SOME MUTAL FRIENDS. I ran into him on the way to one of his own gigs , but not before sticking my head in some practice space to see some young band doing a hilarious version of "We're an American Band". My friend's band , The Mystery Girls (The fr'real Mystery Girls from Chicago , accept no substitute.)opened for Mark Farner one time , late in the 80's. By this time , he was alternating between Grand Funk faves and original Xian Rock tunes. Curiosity caused many of us to withold our laughter. But , it took him so long to go on , I left. 

• December 7, 2012 1:31 PM CST
    • That's it! Thanks, John! The dog's name was Mark Farner Of Grand Funk Railroad.

John Battles said:

Lery's dog was named Mark Farner.

dave said:

Um, it's almost painful to bring up, but many of those early punk bands had extremely
      Catholic tastes in music. Greg Ginn loved the Dead more than just about anyone, and he'd listen to free jazz, and anything else he could get his hands on. And of course the Surfers (Leary in particular) loved hard rock/metal like Grand Funk Railroad (isn't his dog named after their drummer?). Tim Kerr loves the Dead, fer cryin' out loud!

Love that Leary story, hell, I can actually see it happenin'.

Ha, you put the screws to Lillian Roxxon, let's hope kids know how to find better stuff now on teh Interwebs...
      John Battles said:

When I was in College , the same people who listened to Hendrix and Cream also listened to The Butthole Surfers. It was'nt that far of a stretch , I hate to say.......Though , of course , The Butthole Surfers were a lot more experimental than their predecessors......

But , what does that have to do with Urban Legends in Rock , you say?

Well , an interviewer asked Paul Leary from The Butthle Surfers , "How did you learn to play like Jimi Hendrix?" He said , he was on a bad acid trip , where , at some point , he was convinced he'd be come Jimi Hendrix. When he came back down , he discovered that he could play"Just like" Hendrix..... That's an old myth that's probably made it around High Schools all over the country. A guy takes acid , thinks he's Jimi Hendrix , either regards the notion as a silly thing , later , or , ends up in a mental hospital. But , Paul's story ends up with him somehow channeling Jimi. He certainly played more like him than wasotherwise acceptable in the "Hardcore Uber Alles" days , but , the tide was turning ,  Feedback/Skronk bands were copping to being influenced by Late 60's Heavy Rock and Psych. Bands like Sonic Youth , Big Black , Live Skull , Scratch Acid and Lithium Xmas  were moving in , unashamed to use a Vox Wah - Wah pedal or a Big Muff Pi before Seattle made it fashionable. Flaming Lips were big on THE Late 60's - early 70's Mainstream Rock tip , which would have probably got them burned at the stake a few years earlier  . I never got it with 'em , myself , but , they were one of those bands , poised to go national , that you did not dare say you disliked , just like (Brace yourselves)  Smashing Pumpkins......

I highly recommend Roxxon's Encyclopedia , if only for the inaccuracies and stuff that appeared to have just been made up.......Like listing Led Zeppelin as the then - current (1969  ? ) Yardbirds lineup , or dedicating a small chapter to "Punk Rock" , meaning Early Alice Cooper , Bloodrock and Black Sabbath. IN THAT , THOUGH , IT PROBABLY WAS THE FIRST USE OF THE TERM IN PRINT.
      dave said:

I stand corrected, but you can keep the Cream, ack! Bad High School memories, always looking for 'good' music (this was the early 80s, you whippersnappers, ;) !) See, the trouble was my thinkin' that a school library would have a book on good music (it's an 'adults vs. kids' mindset we're talkin' about, heah). I found Lillian Roxxon's Encyclopedia of Rock. Started reading about names I heard, like Hendrix, and yes, Cream, and thought, these guys sound interesting. I went right out and bought all of the Cream discography. BIG mistake! Worst garbage I've heard ('til I got to Hendrix, Jethro Tull, etc.).

On the other hand, my 1st roomie, a friend from my class, loved all of that crap, plus 'Hippie-lite' stuff like Blood Sweat, and Tears, 3 Dog Night, etc. Needless to say, we parted ways after a semester, and my new roomie turned my onto Flex Your Head, the Butthole Surfers, the Birthday Party, etc. It was a good year!

Thanks for letting me ramble...

John Battles said:

Well , while you're thinking about it , dave , that's not an actual quote from the song......listen to it sometime , when you're in dire need of boredom , you'll pick up on it.

• December 6, 2012 7:49 PM CST
    • Well , I seriously doubt Garcia was aware of The Butthole Surfers , though stranger things have happened. Someone told me they had an out of body experience , the last time I saw The Surfers. Maybe they were just trying to get out of the building !  I've heard a few stories , nothing you would call an Urban Legend. But , in truth , Gibby's Dad was Jerry Haynes , aka TV  kIDDIE SHOW HOST , MR. PEPPERMINT. The Drummer in Chicago Silly Punk band , TUTU AND tHE PIRATES , was Frazier Thomas , host of Kiddie show , Garfield Goose and the SUNDAY AFTERNOON movie program , Family Classics.

The two twin Brothers in The Pork Dukes were rumored to be Dudley Moore's illegitimate Sons.

• December 6, 2012 5:29 PM CST
    • I love The Buthole Surfers, especially if you don't need drugs to have a trip. Any good ones? I can see where Gibby Haynes is coming from on the Greatful Dead for the 80's concept. If The Dead's jams were truly psychedelic, you'll be seeing a thirty foot tall Gibby Garcia monster dancing on the stage in a leotard & fishnets. Wonder what Jerry Garcia made of the BHS?

John Battles said:

You've got a point.  I remember Gibby or Paul saying "We're not a Hardcore band , we're more or a Grateful Dead for The 90's." (  A LOT OF PEOPLE THOUGHT THEY WERE A HARDCORE BAND , AND SLAMMING , OR MOSHING , WAS STILL COMMON , EVEN DURING THE SLOWER SONGS. But , the quote was from the 80's , they were looking forward to the 90's....).

BUT , unlike The Dead , who  (Barring maybe their VERY early shows.) , were'nt Psychedelic at all , I thought The Surfers were more like an Elevators for the 80's (By 1988 , I'd given up on them , and stopped apologizing for their inconsistencies.). Their shows were frequently unpredictable and increasingly Psychedelic. Of course , a lot of people were "TRIP - pin" before the show began. Others , like myself , were TRIP - pin' , anyway , with no drugs involved . THAT's Psychedelia , and that's where , I maintain , The Dead failed. If they were truly Psychedelic , their boring jams would still make it to the expressway of your skull , without the use of psychedelics.   "Pepper" was a hit , of course , but The Butthole Surfers MIGHT HAVE HAD A HIT , SOONER , IF THEY'D CHANGED THEIR NAME. It took The Dead over 20 years to score a hit , and this was after playing football stadiums. Were both hits a fluke ? I dunno . I remember The Dead only getting nominal airplay (For which I thank them.) , they could have had a hit ,  much sooner, To me , they had the sufficient dullness to pull it off.....But , I admit , Garcia said something I liked , "There was a time we would have sold out , on some level , but, no one was buying .". 

• December 7, 2012 12:08 PM CST
    • They can do no wrong. And yeah, that 45 was cool, Wedding Song was good, too.

• December 7, 2012 4:28 AM CST
    • FORGIVE THEE was cool! : ) Yeah, differenté true.

dave said:

You've already got it! But I'd suggest everything, including 45s.

Although their 2-CD release, FORGIVE THEE was going into different territory than what I was used to.  Discography here

• December 7, 2012 4:26 AM CST
    • Oh man, Cheater Slicks.... WALK UP THE STREET, just too fuckin great and way too wild. There I said it ...no critical substance from me. Great band if there ever wuz one.

• December 7, 2012 11:46 AM CST
    • Show #400: "The TeenBeat Mayhem Top 100 U.S. Garage Rock Single Sides Of All Time, Part 1"

Every 3 weeks I leave an open slot to do random themes and whatnot. This week is "The TeenBeat Mayhem Top 100 U.S. Garage Rock Single Sides Of All Time". TeenBeat Mayhem is a book commemorating all the forgotten American teen rock-n-roll bands of the 1960's, primarily focused on the 45 rpm single, written by Mike Markesich (aka MopTop Mike), published by Priceless Info Press, and released earlier this year. I've been enamored with this book since I acquired it this summer, a book that many of us 60's music collectors had been jonesing for since it's original announcement about 2 years ago. Not only does the book have detailed and correctly documented discographies on over 4500 American garage and rock-n-roll combos of the 1960's, it also contains a ranking system, in which 14 of the world's biggest garage rock 45 collectors of the world partook in (including Mike). Nearly each song documented has a rank in a 1 to 10 scale, 1 being weak, 10 being essential... the "Garageometer" ranking system is basically intended to be used as a guideline for the collector who is unfamiliar with a recording, so that if a song is ranked high, then maybe it's worth putting out the cash for that record (cuz c'mon...if the top 14 garage rock collectors of the world can't convince you that it's a great song, then don't bother!).

Toward the end of the book there's a top 1000, which collects and compiles the ranked songs in descending order. Tonight and next week, I am playing the top 100 of this countdown in descending order, and tonight's show is part 1: #100 to #51 of the greatest American garage rock single-sides of all time. The rules for inclusion are: all songs featured were pressed or released on a 45 rpm single, demo/acetate record, from the original garage rock era (1960's to early 1970s), or first issued or pressed within a five year span after it's original recording. So this disqualifies any unissued songs that have been since released from discovered tape sources, and also disqualifies any song that was issued solely on an LP and not a single.

Details on the groups featured tonight will be kept to a minimum, and primarily focused on the music itself. More information on TeenBeat Mayhem can be found at pricelessinfopress.com.

TUNE IN TONIGHT FOR WHAT COULD BE HALF OF THE GREATEST GARAGE ROCK RADIO BROADCAST TO EVER AIR IN THE HISTORY OF RADIO!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• December 7, 2012 11:43 AM CST
    • Thanx for the plugs and kind words!! And for doing another great show!!

• December 7, 2012 7:59 AM CST
    • They went from garage gods to boy band - Well, I'll let the music speak for itself:

1986:

1990:

Chris Henniker said:

How did that happen?

Gringo Starr said:

One of the saddest cases was The Creeps. I'm surprised that John didn't include them in his list. I'm sure that he will elaborate.

• December 6, 2012 7:40 PM CST
    • How did that happen?

Gringo Starr said:

One of the saddest cases was The Creeps. I'm surprised that John didn't include them in his list. I'm sure that he will elaborate.

• December 6, 2012 6:13 PM CST
    • One of the saddest cases was The Creeps. I'm surprised that John didn't include them in his list. I'm sure that he will elaborate.

• December 7, 2012 7:46 AM CST
    • GG Allin and the MC2 (Wayne Kramer and Dennis Thompson)

And this is my favourite cover of a GG song:

• December 7, 2012 6:40 AM CST
    • You said it.  The Georgia bands are KILLER.  I'm a really big fan of Zoroaster and Harvey Milk.  If you like Harvey Milk, you need to check out Whores, which was produced by a guy from Harvey Milk (http://whores.bandcamp.com/).  Really one of my favorite EP's of 2012 (it came out end of December 2011).

Also, Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats have been getting a TON of press this year.  I'm impressed.

Alison said:

So many Georgia metal bands, including: Zoroaster, Withered, Apocalyptic Visions, Torche, Mastodon, Harvey Milk, Baroness, Kylesa, and Royal Thunder....

But my favorite "stoner" band is the UK's Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats...

• December 6, 2012 8:25 PM CST
    • HA HA , That's exactly what it is , a "Coming Out Thread". But , James will attest , there was a time in the 90's when there was'nt much difference between Garage and Metal. Just as there was'nt much difference between Punk and Metal by the mid - 80's.
      I met this guy at a show , one time , that was attended by some of The Fuzztones. He had that look , the pale skin , dyed , straightened black hair and black gear. I asked him if he was in The Fuzztones. "No" , he said , with a sad look in his eye , "I'm in DANZIG.".

i WAS ON THE TRAIN , HERE IN CHICAGO , ON MY WAY TO SEE Dee Dee Ramone and The Chinese Dragons . a BLACK sABBATH (As in the ca. 1980 or "Heaven and Hell " lineup. ) and Danzig show was letting out , and all the concertgoers were spilling out onto the train , most of them young Beavis and Butthead types , going "DUDE! THAT KICKED ASS!" "DUDE! DID YOU SEE DIO AT ALPINE VALLEY WHEN HE CAME OUT ON A DRAGON ?!! THAT WAS AWESOME !!".

Suddenly , this older guy (Yes , even older than me.)  who looked exactly like TODD on "Beavis and Butthead",  mutters , "You guys are talkin' bullshit ! I saw Black Sabbath back in The 70's ! " . So did my Brothers , that and Fifty cents 'll get you a daily paper , but , I had to applaud him. He shut those kids down , but good.
       Tersicore said:

Oh Cool, a Coming-Out Thread!!

as a child an uncle introduced me to Rock (which i later advanced on my own) like Slade, Iron Butterfly, Uriah Heep, to Deep purple, Led Zeppelin; Black Sabbath and Motörhead (they were GREAT!), but also to some psychedelic or Progressive and experimental (Frank Zappa, the italian Premiata Forneria Marconi, Banco del mutuo soccorso, later I also listen to Krautrock, like Can and Neu. Etc)…

This was all before I discovered Punk and all the rest at age 13, so during the ´80s I didn´t hear to this stuff anymore (except maybe some Thrashmetal by Slayer)

But  posterior, working all the 90s-decade in lighting eng., it happened to me to dig lot of Stoner Rock like Kyuss and Monster Magnet (I really felt in love with) but also Fu Manchu or Queen of the Stone Age. As well some Doom metal bands first of all Saint Vitus. 
      Working with those bands, (not only, but also) it happen often to hang around together. Which was nice. I become friend with some of them like Armando Acosta-one of the most impressive drummers ever- RIP, Bro): or John Garcia (great guy).
      In my circle of friends in Berlin I had (the german) Jingo the Lunch and Pothead which you can´t say they did Stoner R. or Doom M. but they were listen at, a lot.

I don´t know where to put them (i´m mixing all up now - and going off  topic) but at that time I listen also to bands like Suicidal Tendencies or Rage against the machine. Also Helmet, White Zombie, Ministry, Prong (Tommy Victor was a really nice guy, and guess still is) I even heard to Type o Negative (the album Bloody kisses was quite good) and Danzig for a while (don´t beat me but Glenn was a dork, and guess still is :D).

It was an heavy laps of time those 90s, BUT I´M CLEAN NOW!

:D

I can´t resist! :)

• December 6, 2012 6:00 PM CST
    • So many Georgia metal bands, including: Zoroaster, Withered, Apocalyptic Visions, Torche, Mastodon, Harvey Milk, Baroness, Kylesa, and Royal Thunder....

But my favorite "stoner" band is the UK's Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats...

• December 7, 2012 4:39 AM CST
    • I'll have to say I was really taken by the NEVERMORES "Now more than Never" - no duds for me in this one. But 2012 was ripe with great releases. From the top my noggin as well. Maybe get to post more, once I'm of duty.

• December 7, 2012 4:32 AM CST
    • Also dug DARK SHADOWS and the Frankenweenie - did you get to see PARANORMAN, or is that out of question?

Best Comeback, great haha, right on.

John Battles said:

Movies by Tim Burton - Dark Shadows , Frankenweenie.

Best comebacks.     Pee Wee Herman , Bloodshot Bill , Iggy Yoakum .

• December 6, 2012 9:05 PM CST
    • I guess it's in order (Tho ' this Link Wray two 7" er is KILLIN' me !!!).

Best Reissues - MOVING SIDEWALKS , COMPLETE WORKS.(2 LPs).

Nervebreakers - Three Wild Child 45 repressings (Get Hip).

Doug Sahm - Return of Wayne Douglas (Steady Boy) , LP.

BEST REISSUE THAT IS'NT REALLY A REISSUE- Blue Cheer - "7" (Shroomhead) LP.

Best Shows - Roky Erickson , Empty Bottle (Twice). , Rezillos , Mayne Stage  ,

The Fugs (Chicago Winery.) , Los Straitjackets featuring Daddy - O Grande - Fitzgerald's (Berwyn , Ill.) , Fleshtones (Same.) .

Best album involving Jack White - Jerry Lee Lewis "Live , Third Man Records". (LP , CD ?)

Best Stones - oriented release - The COMPLETE ED SULLIVAN SHOWS , SOME GIRLS , LIVE , IN TEXAS (AS IN , FT. WORTH.) 1978 , Muddy Waters and the Rolling Stones - live at The Checkerboard Lounge , Chicago , 1981., LADIES AND GENTLEMEN , THE ROLLING STONES (2012 release?). Some Girls 2 CD set (I bought it ,earlier , in Mexico , but , I don't think it came out here until Dec. 2011 or Jan. 2012.).

Charlie is My Darling (Tho'  I have'nt Watched it , yet.).

Other Music DVDs - Mitch Ryder , Live ,  Rockpalast . 1979 and 2OO4 ,  Cramps - Live in Belgium .

MOVIES ON DVD - Skidoo , Telstar (The Joe Meek Story ) , Black Sunday ( Still not the better English version .) .

Movies by Tim Burton - Dark Shadows , Frankenweenie.

Best comebacks.     Pee Wee Herman , Bloodshot Bill , Iggy Yoakum .

• December 6, 2012 8:25 PM CST
    • I'm Mike. I collect vinyl, with an emphasis on vintage country. I focus on small/indie/regional labels and artists from the 1950s-1970s. I also collect Crypt Records, Norton Records and stuff from Bear Family.

I created a streaming radio station to showcase my vintage country vinyl/rips. That station is Thumbin Radio - www.thumbinradio.com

I joined up here mainly for community and to see if there might be like-minded, vintage punk country souls out here. I've added some tracks to my profile page for a good indication of my collecting emphasis and what I broadcast.

Cheers. Nashville, TN.

• December 6, 2012 5:25 PM CST
    • I don't think it's all that bad looking, but I wouldn't consider buying one. It has a knob right where I'd brush it with my strumming hand. My Jazzmaster has one like that, too. 

• December 6, 2012 5:11 PM CST
    • YEEeeeuch!!!....that is possibly the nastiest Gibson I have ever seen......I LOVE the early P90 "non reverse" Firebirds....but that is just hideous....(and totaly agree about B.C. Rich.....)

Dead Nachos said:

I up this topic, but seriously: BEHOLD the Gibson Firebird X!

Just search for the specs of this so-called guitar and you will be really mad! 

Also, any B.C. Rich is the uncoolest guitar in my opinion...