Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 5, 2012 10:55 AM CST
    • Anyone who knows me , knows I love The Cheer , and The Purps and The Sabs to a lesser extent. A lot of great , obscure , early 70's Hard Rock has been reissued , lately. I even like Iron Butterfly. I saw 'em in '96 , and they blew my head off. But , I never got into the newer "Stoner Rock " bands. I understand what they're doing , but I'm a bigger fan of some of the bands  that , whether it was obvious or not , influenced the new movement.

• December 5, 2012 10:43 AM CST
    • Good to see stoner fans around ! I will have to post the links to our second band (same bass player, same drummer, different guitarist) here, we re waiting for the mastering of our 1st album. And good new for Axel and Frank, we are 90% instrumental !

• December 5, 2012 9:57 AM CST
    • I agree, a lot of times for me, the singer will make or break a band. That's why I'm into Windhand, they have a chick singer, but the singing is more atmospheric than trying to sound like a manly man.

Axel Björnsson said:

I listened lot to kyuss before. but im not fan of this high pitch singing that is very often in these kind of bands (kyuss got their cool songs thou). and i'm also not fan of this most manly voice in the world like down. For me pure screaming fits best to this kind of music. bands like Eyehategod, Weedeater and Bongzilla do this very well. I'm also fan for scary doom straight from Black Sabbath like Electric Wizard, Saint Vitus, Goatsnake... Electric Wizard is one of my alltime favorite bands. I forgot about Fu Manchu, they talk more than sing that is good, and they rock.

• December 5, 2012 9:51 AM CST
    • I listened lot to kyuss before. but im not fan of this high pitch singing that is very often in these kind of bands (kyuss got their cool songs thou). and i'm also not fan of this most manly voice in the world like down. For me pure screaming fits best to this kind of music. bands like Eyehategod, Weedeater and Bongzilla do this very well. I'm also fan for scary doom straight from Black Sabbath like Electric Wizard, Saint Vitus, Goatsnake... Electric Wizard is one of my alltime favorite bands. I forgot about Fu Manchu, they talk more than sing that is good, and they rock.

• December 5, 2012 9:39 AM CST
    • YES! Huge fan! All that early 70s prog stuff (so much riff!) all the way to the likes of Earthless and Sunn. And basically, anything in between. And Sleep! 

Been really into Windhand and Thou lately.

• December 5, 2012 6:54 AM CST
    • Cool -- will definitely check out Witch. Big J. fan here.

Alex said:

This guy.  Big fan of the Sabbath, of course.  I also dig Saint Vitus (saw them live last year, and they put on quite a show), Kyuss, Sleep, The Sword, Buzzoven, Electric Wizard, Graveyard, Harvey Milk, Melvins, Monster Magnet, Orange Goblin, Pagan Altar, Red Fang, Witchfinder General, and Whores (more recent, album was produced by someone from Harvey Milk).

In a little more of a punk direction (and probably more appropriate for this website), I really like Lecherous Gaze (definitely a heavy Black Flag influence) and Witch (J. Masics plays drums in this punk/metal group).

• December 5, 2012 6:50 AM CST
    • This guy.  Big fan of the Sabbath, of course.  I also dig Saint Vitus (saw them live last year, and they put on quite a show), Kyuss, Sleep, The Sword, Buzzoven, Electric Wizard, Graveyard, Harvey Milk, Melvins, Monster Magnet, Orange Goblin, Pagan Altar, Red Fang, Witchfinder General, and Whores (more recent, album was produced by someone from Harvey Milk).

In a little more of a punk direction (and probably more appropriate for this website), I really like Lecherous Gaze (definitely a heavy Black Flag influence) and Witch (J. Masics plays drums in this punk/metal group).

• December 5, 2012 3:55 AM CST
    • We're fan of all that Black Sabbath kind of music and we even have a second band to play it loud. We already met fews garagist who played in stoner bands too.

Who here loves that heavy music ?

• December 5, 2012 10:43 AM CST
    • And "Making Time" , that was HEAVY SHIT for the time....

Axel Björnsson said:

The Creation - How does it Feel

• December 5, 2012 9:54 AM CST
    • The Creation - How does it Feel

• December 5, 2012 6:56 AM CST
    • I'd definitely cast my votes for the Swamp Rats, The Sonics, and Link Wray.

• December 4, 2012 9:21 PM CST
    • Swamp Rats (agreed, totally)...! Express - Wastin' My Time, The Hard Times - I Can't Wait Till Friday Comes, The Blox - Hangin' Out, The Rats - The Rat's Revenge, Pleasure Seekers, The Hustlers - Tell Me Baby, LeSabres Combo - Standby, The Calico Wall - I'm A Living Sickness, The Driving Stupid... there are loads; can't go wrong with Los Saicos + The Sonics.

• December 5, 2012 10:39 AM CST
    • If I had the equipment to post (That sounds vaguely obscene, it is'nt meant to) , I'd be glad to. My first little band did "Goo Goo Muck" and "The Way I Walk" (COVERS OF SONGS THE CRAMPS COVERED.) back in 1982. Since then , Ive done Cramps songs , or songs that inspired them , off and on , privately and on stage. Most recently , I did "Voodoo Idol", for Lux. It always seemed to be about him.

• December 5, 2012 9:52 AM CST
    • Wow! Sexy saxophone really ?

I have to say it sounds a bit disturbing but I'll try to listen to the whole song !

Anyone ?

• December 5, 2012 3:17 AM CST
    • Hi guys,

We all know The Cramps covered a lot of songs. But maybe YOU covered a song by The Cramps. Here's a thread where you can post (and promote) songs by your bands or yourself in your shit room, covering The Cramps.

I start with LOVE ME, played by my band, Dead Nachos.

The original was sung by The Phantom (aka Jerry Lott) in 1958, then covered by The Cramps in the Bad Music For Bad People compilation.

Love Me - Dead Nachos

I'm sure you've got one to post !

• December 5, 2012 3:04 AM CST
    • Of course, Always was... is great, but he's also recorded country music and that's some perfect material. Check the Carnival of Excess album.

• December 4, 2012 10:23 PM CST
    • Not that I know of .....If he did'nt , then Question Mark beat him to the punch , posthumously , anyway ,  by saying "Fuckin'" in his version of "Don't Give It Up , Now".

• December 4, 2012 10:05 PM CST
    • Didn't he cover one of their songs?

John Battles said:

A former member of DMZ told me that GG wanted them to be his backing group , but , this was long before he became "The Monster". Under a different set of circumstances , that might have worked , in the short term.  I talked to GG a few times , he was'nt so imposing when he was'nt on stage....He said , when he lived in  Boston , there were'nt very many bands , there , that he liked at the time , but , he did like The Lyres , and he preferred DMZ to The Lyres , as well.

• December 4, 2012 9:18 PM CST
    • A former member of DMZ told me that GG wanted them to be his backing group , but , this was long before he became "The Monster". Under a different set of circumstances , that might have worked , in the short term.  I talked to GG a few times , he was'nt so imposing when he was'nt on stage....He said , when he lived in  Boston , there were'nt very many bands , there , that he liked at the time , but , he did like The Lyres , and he preferred DMZ to The Lyres , as well.

• December 5, 2012 3:17 AM CST
    • Definitely one of my favorite bands too ! Of any genre !!!

• December 5, 2012 2:50 AM CST
    • I was hopeful too !

FSRR was one of the best podcasts around, one of my favorites !

• December 4, 2012 10:20 PM CST
    • Yeah , I remember that , too. I've only watched it , once. Living in the states  , I had to buy a copy (Which is fine.) , it did'nt even make the Foreign Film Festival circuit , apparently.

• December 4, 2012 9:24 PM CST
    • I think I saw this in the Joe Meek Film, scenes where he held seances to summon his spirit.

Ryan Katastrophe said:

Exactly. I've also heard that Meek and Geoff Goddard would frequently try to make contact with Holly beyond the grave to seek advice on music they were working on. Freaky.