Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 6, 2012 9:08 AM CST
    • There's a band called Dali's Llama that I really dig. Quite a lot of the sludge type bands really do it for me more though.

• December 6, 2012 3:52 AM CST
    • Newer bands? Amplified Heat is pretty good. Atomic Bitchwax was good too, but I don't think they're together anymore.

• December 6, 2012 3:50 AM CST
    • I like it, but I'm pretty selective about it. Not everybody was good. And strangely enough, I'd rather hear the lesser-knowns than the famous acts. I liked Black Sabbath and Deep Purple when I was a teenager, but have no use for them now. Yet I can deal with the obscure likes of Bang, Dust, Privilege, George Brigman, Pentagram, etc., anyday.

Still like Led Zeppelin and Blue Cheer, though.

• December 5, 2012 9:38 PM CST
    • I grew up on Sabbath. They helped mold my "onward thru the fog" ways in the 70s. Monster Magnet has some really good music. Powertrip was cool, but Dopes To Infinity is probably my fav. I like The Sword because I saw them here in Austin playing dive bars b4 they took flight. But as I am starting to get older and roll downhill I am finding that classic blues, garage punk and garage rock is my primary listening choice and will be until the flame burns out.

• December 5, 2012 8:10 PM CST
    • fuck yeah, 13 and Sir Lord Baltimore!! I still have live tapes of Harvey Milk circa '93-'94...

• December 5, 2012 4:36 PM CST
    • I just saw UFO , two weeks ago. They killed ! They still have something that's different , tho' I urge anyone who's into this "Stoner " thing to pick up on UFO's first two albums (And their early 70's live LP. Not "Strangers in The Night , tho' that's great , too.) , as well as Scorpions ' first two (Which sound NOTHING like what they went on to do- More like Sabs meet Pink Fairies.). Larry Wallis from The Pink Fairies was briefly in UFO AND Motorhead. So , Pink Fairies , Deviants , Third World War , Hard Stuff , Crushed Butler , Budgie , stuff like that......I also saw UFO in '78 , with a little known band called Judas Priest opening. Halford could'nt even afford any bondage gear at the time ! He had a leather cap on , that's about it. I dont mean , that's about IT. On the ballad tip , UFO DID A VERY CREDIBLE VERSION OF "Aloneagain or.''.

MikeL said:

I used to be a big metal fan, but I'm not much into it these days.  Getting into punk rock has made me appreciate Black Sabbath a lot more, and I also like Blue Cheer, mainly their first album, "Vincebus Eruptum."  Led Zeppelin leaves me kind of cold nowadays; no rip on the band, but they just don't do anything for me anymore.  Not quite certain if they fall into this category, but I still like Guns'n'Roses.  Oh, and I also still like UFO.  They recorded some really cool power ballads WITHOUT the cheesiness of those 80s bands, long before power ballads became the norm.

• December 5, 2012 3:56 PM CST
    • I used to be a big metal fan, but I'm not much into it these days.  Getting into punk rock has made me appreciate Black Sabbath a lot more, and I also like Blue Cheer, mainly their first album, "Vincebus Eruptum."  Led Zeppelin leaves me kind of cold nowadays; no rip on the band, but they just don't do anything for me anymore.  Not quite certain if they fall into this category, but I still like Guns'n'Roses.  Oh, and I also still like UFO.  They recorded some really cool power ballads WITHOUT the cheesiness of those 80s bands, long before power ballads became the norm.

• December 5, 2012 3:35 PM CST
    • How many of you older folks out there went through the ol' 'I'm a punk now, and all metal/hard-rock sucks!' It bit me at the start of '84 (think that's Metal's all-time-low for units sold, w/ alla those hairspray metal bands). Sold my Priest, AC/DC, and a buncha lame-ass others. What got me back into it initially was hearing Motorhead, then after that, more experimental metal. Glad I came back! But Hairspray-Metal Still Sucks!

• December 5, 2012 3:27 PM CST
    • Fuck yeah, Electric Wizard, it's only been in the past year that I've been turned onto DopeThrone, and EyeHateGod drip with hate! Always looking for new types of metal (but not nu-metal)...

Axel Björnsson said:

I listened lot to kyuss before. but im not fan of this high pitch singing that is very often in these kind of bands (kyuss got their cool songs thou). and i'm also not fan of this most manly voice in the world like down. For me pure screaming fits best to this kind of music. bands like Eyehategod, Weedeater and Bongzilla do this very well. I'm also fan for scary doom straight from Black Sabbath like Electric Wizard, Saint Vitus, Goatsnake... Electric Wizard is one of my alltime favorite bands. I forgot about Fu Manchu, they talk more than sing that is good, and they rock.

• December 5, 2012 11:21 AM CST
    • In case any of you guys are interested, I came across this blog that specializes in late '60's-mid '70's proto metal, doom, stoner, heavy prog & psych, and yes, even snotty garage. It's called "The Day After the Sabbath", and Rich (who operates the blog) unearths lots of obscurities from all around the globe. He does widen the span a bit to go into the '80's, and will also include newer bands from the stoner rock genre, usually doing a cover. I know this thread is narrowing on the newer scene, but there is TONS of stuff on there for download that you guys would dig. Check it out here: http://www.aftersabbath.com/

• December 6, 2012 5:58 AM CST
    • Good one the Dead Nachos !

• December 6, 2012 5:55 AM CST
    • Yeeaah we use to play Caveman as the last song of our shows.

Here is a shot from our first show ever one year ago :

http://youtu.be/G6rbzJV6004

• December 5, 2012 4:52 PM CST
    • My band never did any Cramps songs (or covers) at shows but we did play them at practice, mostly either Goo Goo Muck or New Kind of Kick.

• December 5, 2012 3:40 PM CST
    • Did you guys know that The Right Stuff movie has JIMMY LLOYD's I GOT A ROCKET IN MY POCKET? That was the high point for me.

Sorry, not inna band :(

• December 5, 2012 9:32 PM CST
    • This is my favorite video of the last few years.  Los Vigilantes have the best faces!

• December 5, 2012 5:24 PM CST
    • "Come on ! What is this uptight , obnoxious nonsense ! Let's cook ! What are you getting all ATTITOODICAL about ? Buncha macho motherfuckers ! Big shit ! Let's ROCK OUT ! We know ya both got COCKS !"- David Johansen , trying to resolve an argument in the studio .

Sylvain Sylvain : Why , you little faggot !

David Johansen : WHAT...DID ...YOU ...CALL ME?!!-

Syl: I called ya a faggot.

David : OH ! That's OK , I THOUGHT YOU SAID I WAS FAT ! 

(On stage in Chicago , and , probably , every stop on that tour.)'.

LISTEN , AMERICA. WE GOT SOMETHIN' TO SAY ! WE'RE UP HERE , BUGGIN' , BABY ! ANYBODY THAT'S GOT SOMETHIN' TO SAY , FAR AS CRITICISM IS CONCERNED......WE'RE GONNA SENSE YA A BIG OL' BOX OF SHIT !! PUT IT IN A CANDY BOX , AND SAY , " DEAR WHOEVER....EAT SHIT !!".  Don't fuck with us ,sweeties.     DAVID JOHANSEN , "Looking For a Kiss " documentary.

"WHO AH DESE GUYS? DEY LOOK PRETTY OUTRAGEOUS !"  Buster Poindexter, upon being presented with a New York Dolls LP to sign.

melissa scott said:

"Playiing music is the best thing in the world. It makes show business almost bearable."

David Johansen, NYDolls

• December 5, 2012 5:10 PM CST
    • 'Everyone's talking about "Back in the day" . Did'nt We Ever Have NIGHT?"  Art Fein , Former Cramps Producer , Host - "Art Fein's Poker Party" (LA Cable Access.).

Dan Lansing said:

"Punk should destroy memories...not create them. This 'back-in-the-day' stuff is garbage." --Greg Ginn

• December 5, 2012 4:55 PM CST
    • The Stray Cats in "That'll Be The Day" was a fictional band built around Dave Edmunds. I know you knew that , but , it reads like you were referring to  the well known band of that name (SADLY , The Rockabilly Revival  pretty much began and ended in America with them .). I've never seen "Stardust " , though. "The Stray Cats " were credited on the soundtrack.

Setzer claims it was a coincidence that his future producer's movie band had the same name as his real - life band. If you liked that band, though , you'll love Nilsson's pub band in "Son of Dracula "- Moon , Bonham , Frampton and Entwistle or Voorman , I forget , they all go by so fast , except Keith , who gets , like , a minute - long drum solo.

You know , I've only watched "Slade in Flame", once. I was surprised that they could really ACT. It's got a very dark tone for a good - timey band like Slade , though they were about to enter their own Dark Ages. They were getting heavily into not - so heavy tunes , but , the soundtrack holds up well. You've got to love Noddy's Screaming Lord Sutch parody , too.

There was serious talk of a biopic on Roky , several years ago , but , it never came about. Perhaps it will , someday.....

It's true , if they really told his story , a lot of people would'nt believe it.

Roky's Son , Jegar , did a very good short film , in which he portrays his Dad. Even though he favors his Mom , Dana , he went to great lengths to make himself look uncannily like Roky.

• December 5, 2012 4:46 PM CST
    • Yeah, they were in Stardust as well and were joined by Dave Edmunds, believe it or not.

Mark George Harrison said:

Not one mention of Slade in Flame, which I only watched aboute a year ago, which, for it's time, was bloody good!

And the Stray Cats in That'll be the day, cant remember if they made a cameo in Stardust as well? Any band with Mr Moon on drums needs a mention!

Would love to see a Roky Erickson film but any one who didn't know his story would think it was complete fiction.

Favourite doc of a band is Dig! Long live BJM and AAN!

• December 5, 2012 4:26 PM CST
    • Not one mention of Slade in Flame, which I only watched aboute a year ago, which, for it's time, was bloody good!

And the Stray Cats in That'll be the day, cant remember if they made a cameo in Stardust as well? Any band with Mr Moon on drums needs a mention!

Would love to see a Roky Erickson film but any one who didn't know his story would think it was complete fiction.

Favourite doc of a band is Dig! Long live BJM and AAN!

• December 5, 2012 4:53 PM CST
    • Currently loving this ditti about the finest drink to come out of Spain.  

• December 5, 2012 3:20 PM CST
    • I stand corrected, but you can keep the Cream, ack! Bad High School memories, always looking for 'good' music (this was the early 80s, you whippersnappers, ;) !) See, the trouble was my thinkin' that a school library would have a book on good music (it's an 'adults vs. kids' mindset we're talkin' about, heah). I found Lillian Roxxon's Encyclopedia of Rock. Started reading about names I heard, like Hendrix, and yes, Cream, and thought, these guys sound interesting. I went right out and bought all of the Cream discography. BIG mistake! Worst garbage I've heard ('til I got to Hendrix, Jethro Tull, etc.).

On the other hand, my 1st roomie, a friend from my class, loved all of that crap, plus 'Hippie-lite' stuff like Blood Sweat, and Tears, 3 Dog Night, etc. Needless to say, we parted ways after a semester, and my new roomie turned my onto Flex Your Head, the Butthole Surfers, the Birthday Party, etc. It was a good year!

Thanks for letting me ramble...

John Battles said:

Well , while you're thinking about it , dave , that's not an actual quote from the song......listen to it sometime , when you're in dire need of boredom , you'll pick up on it.

• December 5, 2012 11:44 AM CST
    • Yeah, the Violin bow guitar on (the U.S version of) 'How does it Feel'...

'Making Time' does it for me! It's amazing how much (their) music changed between '66 & '67...

John Battles said:

And "Making Time" , that was HEAVY SHIT for the time....

Axel Björnsson said:

The Creation - How does it Feel