Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• November 21, 2012 6:19 AM CST
    • Hey John! Thank YOU for your kind words of encouragement!!

(Haha, too funny!... but looks like we do have in Europe some schools for raping German, Italian and other languages, as well!) :D

My English´s been better at the time i was living in Chicago for half a year, about 20 Years ago but since then it got worse and worse, of course.
      Languages always needs to be trained and this´s what i´m trying to do   here now but sometimes when you guys talks is just Greek to me, so i go   on the theory that my knowledge can´t be that good! Adding at that my   (by now) poor vocabulary... at times i think i could sound boring, you know? BUT I´ll SPEAK UP ANYWAY AND YOU GUYS HAVE TO SUFFER! :D

Is much better to speak spanish in Mexico, so you are much less "Gringo" ;)

John Battles said:

AND , THANK YOU FOR THE KIND WORDS , TERSICORE.

YOU'RE CERTAINLY NOT RAPING THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE , HERE , QUITE THE OPPOSITE.

IF YOU WENT TO OUR SCHOOLS , YOU MIGHT HAVE LEARNED HOW TO........

and

Teriscore , Hey , never apologize for your English. I think it's great that people make an effort to learn. It's not as though I speak Spanish fluently , but, people dig it when I try. When I go to Mexico , much of it comes back to me.If you were ever able to visit The US , or , even Britain , I think you'd find your English is better than you give yourself credit for.

Tersicore said:

WoW!  Sounds cool!! Thanx

Copy the embed code you find under the YT-clip: (>share>embed) and paste on "media". sorry my english sucks, hope you got it! 

ROCKANDROLLSEN said:

**BUD AND KATHY - HANG IT OUT TO DRY

Im new to this, how do I get it to come up with a thumbnail of the video. 

• November 20, 2012 9:01 PM CST
    • I was in touch with Exene ,for a while , on My Space. I asked her,  did she know about Beavis and Butthead doing the riff from "Nausea" (" DEEEHHH DEEEHHH DAAA NAAA DAA NAA DEHHHH DEHHHHH!!!!".) In a couple of cartoons. She said yes !

John Battles said:

I know this belongs somewhere else , but some people were saying X had sold out as early as "Under The Big Black Sun" , their third album. One friend even told me John and Exene were "Sellouts" just because they were married instead of just living together ! HUH?!! What a load doo doo caca poo poo shiser.

It was'nt until "Ain't Love Grand" (As Nero noted.) that they lost the script. Maybe they were pressured into doing something ''Commercially viable"  for the first time. But , I saw 'em on that tour, and those songs sounded all right , live. It helped that Dave Alvin was there. Not surprising that he could handle more hard - edged stuff , as he'd played on The Flesheaters' best album.   A couple of years later , when they resurfaced with "See How We Are" , they sounded more Roots than Punk , but coughed up some good songs with none of that annoying studo sheen from the previous LP.

AND , THANK YOU FOR THE KIND WORDS , TERSICORE.

YOU'RE CERTAINLY NOT RAPING THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE , HERE , QUITE THE OPPOSITE.

IF YOU WENT TO OUR SCHOOLS , YOU MIGHT HAVE LEARNED HOW TO........

Tersicore said:

Yep Nero, on acoustic background both sounds great as well!
      Thanx, never heard before!

Nero said:

Gotta admit, I'm a huge X fan myself. I'd go so far as to rate the first four albums, up to 'More Fun In The New World'; could never get past the terrible sound of 'Ain't Love Grand', though. However, the Knitters did do a great version of 'Burning House of Love', which is surely tailor made for this thread that you've got going!

Tersicore said:

I must admit, a sit of honor goes to X  on this thread. The way you describe the two voices John, is just perfect! The symbiosis of the two voices is the characteristic feature distinguish this band from any other at any time.
      I still love the first two albums (Los Angeles most) and because i discovered those amazing early vids i can´t help but posting:
      (BTW:sorry for raping your language!)

DAMN! I wish so bad, i had been present, among the audience!!
      but at least, we in Europe, could listen to the "No NY" and the "Yes LA" compilations even on the same day, quite without shame! :D

John Battles said:

I thought somebody did mention X , or , I would have , earlier....John and Exenes' vocals are like watching stunt planes....I mean , sometimes perfectly aligned , and sometimes going off in other  directions ,  and coming back. People said Exene could'nt carry a tune , but , X had a plan. It was / is a perfect vessel for her. Besides , that's a load of rubbish. I've always loved her voice , from the first time I heard it , more than 30 years ago. Of course  she's really come into her own doing Country MATERIAL , ON HER OWN AND WITH THE KNITTERS.

Mutants of the Holocaust said:

What?! No references to 'X'? How about their cover of Breathless for starters.

..and for a change of tempo...Leonard Cohen/Jenifer Warnes - Joan of Arc ..beautiful.

• November 21, 2012 4:42 AM CST
    • I like Darnielle's too. I think it brings more insight to the table than a straight historical take on the band.

• November 19, 2012 8:20 PM CST
    • My favorite is the Master's of Reality written by John Darnielle of the mountain goats. It reads like Catcher in the Rye for the 1980's 'my parents thought metal made my hate' generation. 

• November 21, 2012 4:07 AM CST
    • Have someone mentioned the great Arthur Brown ?? He should be in the top of the list even if he didn't play garage !

• November 20, 2012 8:29 PM CST
    • Yes , for the "Snatch and The Poontangs" LP ALONE , Johnny Otis should have his own wing in the Hall of Fame. That, and his gallant efforts to save The Party Record (Leroy and Skillet , LaWanda Page , Mantan Moreland , etc.). 

James Porter said:

Johnny Otis

• November 20, 2012 4:06 PM CST
    • Really?? Midnight Oil? Huh... I guess their album sales would put them up there. But if you say Midnight Oil... I say nah mate, Cold CHISEL... at least Barnsey could SING. And Ian Moss can play the gee-tar.

Stanton Woods said:

I would like to see... In no particular order:

1. Midnight Oil

2. The Minutemen

3. Black Flag

4. The Meters (I think they've been nominated)

5. Fugazi

6. Lou Barlow

7. Wire

8. Rocket from the Crypt

9. Junior Brown (A stretch, but he can definitely rock)

10. Morphine 

• November 20, 2012 11:51 AM CST
    • Johnny Otis

• November 20, 2012 12:51 AM CST
    • I would like to see... In no particular order:

1. Midnight Oil

2. The Minutemen

3. Black Flag

4. The Meters (I think they've been nominated)

5. Fugazi

6. Lou Barlow

7. Wire

8. Rocket from the Crypt

9. Junior Brown (A stretch, but he can definitely rock)

10. Morphine 

• November 19, 2012 11:51 PM CST
    • Melissa , I remember , Mick Farren was part of a big panel of celebs in Roctober (BTW , Deviants , Pink Fairies , Jesse Hector , Third World War.......) that was asked "Should Pat Boone be in The Rock 'n'Roll Hall of Fame?". He said , "Not when Roky Erickson and Syd Barrett are'nt in it. Is Gene Vincent in it , yet?". He was , by then , but , of course , buried under Kool and The Gang , James Taylor and Bread.

At least , most of the (Then- ) surviving Elevators were honored by The Texas Music Hall of Fame.....

melissa scott said:

Yes, Roky Erickson should already be in. That's a no brainer. Politics and $$$ make the H o F what it is, no? And, it's expensive. :(

• November 19, 2012 11:44 PM CST
    • Alison , Thank you for mentioning Tommy James and The Shondells. I was going to.

Alison said:

The Troggs!!!!!!!!!!

and

The Shangri-las!!!!!!!

and

The Zombies!!!!

also, Mary Wells, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Link Wray, The Crystals, Dick Dale, Sun Ra, The Sonics, Roky Erickson, Tommy James and the Shondells, MC5, Gram Parsons, T. Rex, New York Dolls, Television, Cheap Trick, The Jam, the Buzzcocks, Motorhead, the B-52's, the Slits, X-Ray Spex, Gang of Four, The Cramps, and Sonic Youth

• November 19, 2012 11:15 PM CST
    • I don't know if I have a Top Ten , and , I pay so little attention to that abomination that I might mention one or two people that are already there , by mistake . When The RRHF opened , all 25 opening nominees were there for a REASON. There is'nt any reason why it should'nt still be that way. Eddie Cochran was one of the first inductees , but it took FOREVER to induct Gene Vincent. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

It's going to take a long time until any Garage Rock acts get in . The Seeds , Electric Prunes , ? and The Mysterians ,  Standells  , and The Music Machine ,  to say nothing of Paul Revere and The Raiders , who were HUGE , should already be in , and , maybe , then , the Judges would'nt be so adverse to inducting even lesser known , but still influential , bands of this genre. But , Garage Rock has never been taken that seriously.

MYSELF , I WOULD AGREE , DEFINITELY , Link Wray ,  The Elevators  , The Cramps  , The MC5 , Dick Dale (Even though his ego , crap recordings and cornball live shows have chased away , many of his supporters.) , Joe Meek , and The Sonics , who are still nearly as unlikely as the monks to ever get in the so - called real hall of fame.....But , I hope I'm wrong about that. Good call on Cliff Richard. People run him down all the time , but , who started the British R'n'R scene?

Ahmet Ertegun presented Johnny Hallyday an award for being the first European artist to import R'n'R to the continent. Hallyday and Richard were running pretty much neck and neck , maybe one beat the other's time , getting the first European Rock single out , but , they should both be recogized for getting  in on the ground floor.

And , if  Dick Dale and Link Wray got their due , we'd have to give The Shadows and The Ventures theirs , too.

BUT , IF I  WERE TO NOMINATE 10 ARTISTS TO OUR , NOT THEIR , HALL OF FAME.......

1. The Johnny Burnette Rock'n'Roll Trio.

2.The New York Dolls.

3.Charlie Feathers.

4.The Treniers.

5. Roky Erickson.

6.Screamin' Jay Hawkins.

7. Doug Sahm.

8. The Pretty Things.

9. The Troggs .

10. The Wailers.

Wild Cards.

1. Flamin' Groovies.

2. Slade

3. Blue Cheer.

4.Davie Allan and The Arrows .

5. Travis Wammack.

• November 19, 2012 10:44 PM CST
    • Yes, Roky Erickson should already be in. That's a no brainer. Politics and $$$ make the H o F what it is, no? And, it's expensive. :(

• November 19, 2012 10:29 PM CST
    • The Troggs!!!!!!!!!!

and

The Shangri-las!!!!!!!

and

The Zombies!!!!

also, Mary Wells, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Link Wray, The Crystals, Dick Dale, Sun Ra, The Sonics, Roky Erickson, Tommy James and the Shondells, MC5, Gram Parsons, T. Rex, New York Dolls, Television, Cheap Trick, The Jam, the Buzzcocks, Motorhead, the B-52's, the Slits, X-Ray Spex, Gang of Four, The Cramps, and Sonic Youth

• November 19, 2012 5:34 PM CST
    • oops! wildcards

1. Birthday Party

2. Butthole Surfers

3. Michael Franti

4. Swell

5. Dead Kennedys

• November 19, 2012 4:59 PM CST
    • Syd Barrett, Mick Ronson, Johnny Thunders and John Peel, Dick Dale, Bo Diddley, Sex Pistols, King Kurt, Robert Johnson for starters thanks..... Oh and a Lux Interior waxwork at the Glittery curtained entrance, welcoming everyone in.

• November 19, 2012 3:33 PM CST
    • As we know, it's almost that time of year again when the RRHoF inducts new members. The worst decision I can think of was admitting Madonna in the RRHoF, as she's just cruise ship fodder at worst and good cabaret at best. I bet all of us could do better, nominating real rock'n'roll bands who were more underated or something. I agree with this paragraph from the Wikipedia entry entirely: 

"The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has garnered criticism for allegedly allowing the nomination process to be controlled by a few individuals,[4] nominating too many artists in too many genres that are not entirely rock,[5] ignoring entire rock genres,[6] and using technicalities to induct groups who may not have been among the top vote getters.[7]"

They've overlooked Garage, freakbeat, power pop and psychobilly. If you can nominate 10 bands/solo artists/producers/sidemen and up to five wild cards, who would you go for and why? Just for fun, let's get the ball rolling with a few nominations of my own:

1. Link Wray (Rumble was the great instrumental)
      2. Dick Dale
      3. The Monks (just for their weirdness)
      4. The Sonics
      5. Billy Childish (for his inspiration to grass roots bands everywhere, but also his commitment to real rock'n'roll!)
      6. The Cramps
      7. Joe Meek
      8. Morrisey & The Smiths
      9. The 13th Floor Elevators (for inventing psychedelia)
      10. MC5

Wild cards:

1. Cliff Richard (First R&B/rock'n'roll recorded outside the US)
      2. The Jam
      3. Ros Sereysothea (For she was the Golden Voice)
      4. Sinn Sisamouth
      5. Takashi Terauchi

Who are your ten?

• November 20, 2012 8:12 PM CST
    • But , the book I saw , I think , was more of a Motorhead bio than one specifically about Lemmy. If it had been the book you read , I would have bought it..Especially as it was literally one of the only things left at Crown Books' Going Out of BUSINESS sALE...This one looked like it was probably chock full of omissions.

Kirk Teeters said:

Nah, that was the authentic "written by Lemmy" autobio. Trust me, if it had been ghostwritten they would have omitted some of the redundancies, tightened up the Time-frame and probably tried to make him seem less infatuated with himself.

That said, it was a fun read, and reminds me why I left "the Road."

John Battles said:

Was that an unauthorized Lemmy bio? i SAW A BOOK LIKE THAT at Crown Books , just before they went out of business. I can't remember why I didnt buy it....

Kirk Teeters said:

Well, I just finished my son's copy of 'White Line Fever', and though he never spoke specifically about this particular thang, he certainly didn't go out of his way to say that it was bunk. As much as I enjoyed reading it, it was a masterpiece of self promotion, mostly.

John Battles said:

No , the rumor is that he has to drink a fifth , plus a 40 ouncer , or he'll die.

Just kidding , a lot of people couldn't handle the TRUTH about Lemmy , that he's a gentleman , so they cling to rumor and innuendo to perpretuate the "Badass" myth. Sure , his lunch break beats our lives , but , he wouldn't still be alive , today , without some semblance of balance.  As for hard drinking , yes , the "Lemmy 45 Proof Complete Bastard " documentary is chock full of testimonials that he has the constitution of two Keith Richards , three Jerry Lee Lewises  and a fleet of horses.  I'm kidding about the title.

Kirk Teeters said:

And how 'bout the rumor that Lemmy has to drink a fifth a day, or he'll die. And that should someone be so unfortunate as to get a transfusion from him, it would kill them instantly?

• November 20, 2012 8:07 PM CST
    • Thanks for the link. I'll have to read it , later , as my eyes are shot to Hell at the moment....

It does'nt seem like he had enough proof to substantiate the claim , but , I'd have to read the piece , first.

Chris Henniker said:

That's what Paul Gambaccini said,  Saville was a necrophile .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2221922/Jimmy-Savile-necrop...

John Battles said:

Chris ,   I only recently heard about Jimmy Saville's scandal (Word is slow getting to the backwoods of the USA .). But , it's true about John Wayne Gacy and The Kinks.   Ray and Dave confirmed it , though .  Gacy was a respected member of the community in Chicago , even when he WAS killing all those boys. He did all that charity work as "Pogo The Clown" , and got his picture taken with The President's wife......HE MANAGED TO COVER HIS TRACKS FOR A LONG TIME........          Anyway , I don't know about GG being best mates with JWG. He was , most likely , just one of his many "Pen Pals".  GG was in jail in Michigan
      for part of the latter years of Gacy's incarceration , here. He did live in Chicago before he went to jail , but , I seriously doubt he could have been granted an audience with Gacy , then. But , sure , he probably wrote to him. I liked your comment at the beginning - "Getting a quote for kitchen or cellar extensions? " - HA HAHHHH!!!   BTW , Morgue Rat?  Does that mean Saville was also a Necrophile ? THAT'S ALL KINDS OF FUCKED UP. I always thought he was just this funny , goofy personality. Looks and mannerisms are so decieving , as Gacy , sadly , went to great lengths to prove.
      Chris Henniker said:

Gacy with Ray Davies? I wouldn't buy that, for the simple reason that it's tooo preposterous. What would he be doing in Gacy's house, anyway? Getting a quote for a kitchen or cellar extension?  

I know Gacy was best mates with GG Allin, even doing skull paintings for the punks, but seems to far fetched.

Now what about rock'n'roll rumours that were verified as true? Jimmy Saville being a kiddy diddler & morgue rat being one.

John Battles said:
      As for Ray Davies , there's no doubt he was stressed out , and had a run of bad luck (3 year Ban from The US , anyone?). But , he's probably the luckiest man alive. When he and his Brother went to John Wayne Gacy's house , at least he had'nt begun his killing spree.

• November 20, 2012 5:40 PM CST
    • That's what Paul Gambaccini said,  Saville was a necrophile .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2221922/Jimmy-Savile-necrophiliac-says-colleague-Paul-Gambaccini.html

John Battles said:

Chris ,   I only recently heard about Jimmy Saville's scandal (Word is slow getting to the backwoods of the USA .). But , it's true about John Wayne Gacy and The Kinks.   Ray and Dave confirmed it , though .  Gacy was a respected member of the community in Chicago , even when he WAS killing all those boys. He did all that charity work as "Pogo The Clown" , and got his picture taken with The President's wife......HE MANAGED TO COVER HIS TRACKS FOR A LONG TIME........          Anyway , I don't know about GG being best mates with JWG. He was , most likely , just one of his many "Pen Pals".  GG was in jail in Michigan
      for part of the latter years of Gacy's incarceration , here. He did live in Chicago before he went to jail , but , I seriously doubt he could have been granted an audience with Gacy , then. But , sure , he probably wrote to him. I liked your comment at the beginning - "Getting a quote for kitchen or cellar extensions? " - HA HAHHHH!!!   BTW , Morgue Rat?  Does that mean Saville was also a Necrophile ? THAT'S ALL KINDS OF FUCKED UP. I always thought he was just this funny , goofy personality. Looks and mannerisms are so decieving , as Gacy , sadly , went to great lengths to prove.
      Chris Henniker said:

Gacy with Ray Davies? I wouldn't buy that, for the simple reason that it's tooo preposterous. What would he be doing in Gacy's house, anyway? Getting a quote for a kitchen or cellar extension?  

I know Gacy was best mates with GG Allin, even doing skull paintings for the punks, but seems to far fetched.

Now what about rock'n'roll rumours that were verified as true? Jimmy Saville being a kiddy diddler & morgue rat being one.

John Battles said:
      As for Ray Davies , there's no doubt he was stressed out , and had a run of bad luck (3 year Ban from The US , anyone?). But , he's probably the luckiest man alive. When he and his Brother went to John Wayne Gacy's house , at least he had'nt begun his killing spree.

• November 20, 2012 4:50 PM CST
    • Nah, that was the authentic "written by Lemmy" autobio. Trust me, if it had been ghostwritten they would have omitted some of the redundancies, tightened up the Time-frame and probably tried to make him seem less infatuated with himself.

That said, it was a fun read, and reminds me why I left "the Road."

John Battles said:

Was that an unauthorized Lemmy bio? i SAW A BOOK LIKE THAT at Crown Books , just before they went out of business. I can't remember why I didnt buy it....

Kirk Teeters said:

Well, I just finished my son's copy of 'White Line Fever', and though he never spoke specifically about this particular thang, he certainly didn't go out of his way to say that it was bunk. As much as I enjoyed reading it, it was a masterpiece of self promotion, mostly.

John Battles said:

No , the rumor is that he has to drink a fifth , plus a 40 ouncer , or he'll die.

Just kidding , a lot of people couldn't handle the TRUTH about Lemmy , that he's a gentleman , so they cling to rumor and innuendo to perpretuate the "Badass" myth. Sure , his lunch break beats our lives , but , he wouldn't still be alive , today , without some semblance of balance.  As for hard drinking , yes , the "Lemmy 45 Proof Complete Bastard " documentary is chock full of testimonials that he has the constitution of two Keith Richards , three Jerry Lee Lewises  and a fleet of horses.  I'm kidding about the title.

Kirk Teeters said:

And how 'bout the rumor that Lemmy has to drink a fifth a day, or he'll die. And that should someone be so unfortunate as to get a transfusion from him, it would kill them instantly?

• November 20, 2012 12:07 AM CST
    • It probably was , but , apart from the fact that a lot of famous and semi - famous people appeared on it , I don't know very much about it. It could have been meant as a Naz Nomad - style put - on , but , at least that's a good record ! The Seclusions' LP would have been a lot better without all the annoying Disco beats....

Chris Henniker said:

Wasn't that done as a joke?

John Battles said:

If you want a good head - scratcher , seek out The Seclusions' album. Probably the only 60's Garage - Disco crossover album , EVER. Joey Ramone , Mickey Leigh (His Brother.) , Holly Beth Vincent (Joey's then - girlfiend.) , Jay Dee Daugherty , Busta Jones, and a plethora of other names  could'nt savethe record from being much more than a curiosity.

• November 19, 2012 5:09 PM CST
    • He needs more recognition, perhaps 6Music should play him more on the Freak Zone.

John Battles said:

J. Henry Timmis IV ( His first name was John.) was a "Bedroom Recording Artist " , like Jandek , in Chicago , in the 70's and 80's , maybe into the 90's. His decidedly lo-fi (Before it was trendy.) recordings included Acid - Punk with a nod to "Raw Power" Stooges and even some more laid - back Psychedelic slow groovers , obviously influenced by Bolan and Bowie.

Timmis IV performed live as "Frankenstein" , taking a visual cue from David Carradine's great characterization of the same name in "Death Race 2000". which meant he wore a black leather mask on stage , ostensibly to hide a burn or crash injury that never happened , as per Carradine's example in the movie. Reportedly , he did'nt play out with a band , instead , opting for tapes of his own music.

I suggested he be included in the Chicago Punk Bio , "You Were'nt There", but , that never happened. Timmis died , probably penniless , 10 or 12 years ago , roughly. I spoke to the one personal friend of his that I knew. All I could get out of him was that J. Henry Timmis IV "Took a lot of drugs" . This was coming from a man who probably took enough drugs to fill Soldier Field. An extremely limited, somewhat recent , reissue of his original LP compilation will probably set you back hundreds of dollars on e-bay , but , I hope some of you have the  chance to hear his music. A Chicago original.

• November 19, 2012 2:52 PM CST
    • Show #397: "The Eggman Collection #127" playlist:

Premiata Forneria Marconi - "E Festa"
      Elegant Four - "I'm Tired"
      Small Faces - "Plum Nellie"
      The Lemon Pipers - "Rainbow Tree"
      Algarnas Tradgard - "The Mirrors Of Gabriel"
      The Deviants - "Let's Loot The Supermarket"
      Music Box - "Seaside Sunshine"
      Gracious! - "Once On A Windy Day"
      The Beach Boys - "God Only Knows"
      Dead Moon - "Dead Moon Night"
      Bergen White - "It's Over Now"
      Fever Tree - "Love Makes The Sun Rise"
      Les Crane - "Desiderata"
      The Rolling Stones - "19th Nervous Breakdown"
      Hubert Thomas Valverde & The HT's - "We Don't Care"
      Bobb Trimble - "Premonitions - The Fantasy"
      The Treasures - "Hold Me Tight"
      P.P. Arnold - "(If You Think You're) Groovy"
      The Peppers - "Roses For Mary"
      Charity Shayne - "Ain't It?, Babe"
      Skip Bifferty - "Come Around"
      Brute Force - "Adam And Evening"
      The Standells - "The Boy Who Is Lost"
      The Ventures - "Vibrations"
      Ace Frehley - "Snow Blind"
      The Deviants - "Nothing Man"
      The Zombies - "She Does Everything For Me"
      Bee Gees - "Let There Be Love"
      Stackridge - "The Volunteer"
      Alive 'N Kickin' - "Jordan"
      Heart - "Magic Man"
      The Children - "I Can Feel It"
      The Scene - "Scenes (From Another World)"
      Orphan Egg - "Falling"
      Henry Cow - "Living In The Heart Of The Beast"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/397.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/397.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show by "liking it" on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• November 19, 2012 2:29 PM CST
    • DOUG MIGHT HAVE BEEN REFERRING TO A MIKE LOVE , NOT FROM THE BEACH BOYS ,BUT , THE CHICAGO BULLS ....I FORGET , EVEN I HAVE TOO MUCH OF A LIFE TO REMEMBER THAT.

John Battles said:

AND BOB LOVE , Y'ALL ! TOO MUCH ! (But ,Doug , that was Basketball) AIN'T NO WAY WE GONNA STOP THIS SOULFUL TRAIN ,NOW! (Doug , please don't hit those trash cans ...)

LAAAAAAAAAAWD , WE'RE IN CHICAGO , BABY ,  AIN'T GOT NO DAMN TRASH CANS !

John Battles said:

(Wild and crazy guy voice)   That is where I got one on you , my friend !!

I THINK I saw The Ramones 7 times , yeah , that's right . And I got started late ! The first time was in 1984. Saw 'em once , in '88 ,  with Iggy Pop(Headlining) and The Dickies , but , otherwise they almost always had terrible , or just mediocre , opening acts . Even ROCKABILLY GODS , Social Distortion , were'nt telling me anything I did'nt already know.

I SAW THE STONES , ONCE , IN '81. They were sloppy as ever (Retraction. I don't think they REALLY started getting sloppy til the mid 70's) , but, it was fun. Everyone was too stoned to rock out.

The Isleys , I saw once , and it was heavy on the T-Neck sides , light on the babymaking music. But , I told you that.....I hope you still get to see them , now that the Big Daddy Dizzy Dee Smalls , OR WHATEVER , HYPE , Is THROUGH.

I first saw Doug Sahm at Antone's NYE 1988 - 89 . He had a pickup band , and was dressed atrociously . No disrespect , but , I was , like , "Come on , Doug !" . Of course , it was a fine show , but , I had to move from Texas to Chicago to see The Sir Douglas Quintet. Ironic , is'nt it? They played Dallas in '84 , but ,I could'nt get a ride , and it would have been about $40 IN A CAB. i WAS AT THE CUBBY BEAR TEXAS TORNADOS GIG . MAN ! THE CUBS MUST HAVE TAKEN A BEATING , THAT NIGHT (cubby bear is across from Wrigley Field.), because people , meaning WHITE people , were picking fights and jumping in each other's shit , all night , pushing and shoving , while all the Mexicans were totally cool. Doug Sahm LOVED him some Cubs , tho' . Mid song , he reels off the 70 - 71 "Dream Team" (Whom I saw twice. Last Cubs games  I ever attended.)- RON SANTO ! LAAAAAAAWD , ERNIE BANKS !! DON KISSINGER , Y'ALL !!! FERGIE JENKINS , YEAH , MY MAN ,  TOO MUCH ,  IN THE GROOVE ! DIG IT !  Doug scarcely said hello when we first met , because I was the only person in the room not talking  baseball. I saw him 6 times , total. His last Chicago gig , also at Cubby Bear , basically a Sir Douglas Quintet show , minus a sorely - needed Mike Buck on Drums , drew about 40 people. For shame.

I did'nt know if I wanted to drop 30 bucks to see what an 80 - something Bill Monroe was bringing to the plate. Maybe that was my big mistake.

As for The Gories , I did see them in 1990 , opening for The Gibson Bros. I only really knew them by name , but , Jeffrey Evans really played them up to me.

I thought they were great.  I was right up in fron , while the rest of the audience stayed in the very back , about the length of a bowling lane. Of course , most of those people did'nt show when The Gories came back , 20 years later , but they probably bragged about how they saw them , back when. The Gories came back , once in '90 or '91 , to open for Alex Chilton. Sorry , never got it with him. I know I'm supposed to bow down in worship.....I saw The Box Tops once , and they killed , but , THAT was a money gig , so Alex showed up sober , and ready to rock.

I should've gone if only to see The Gories. I figured they'd return. Did'nt know it'sd take two decades , but , it was business as usual.