Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• November 4, 2012 3:36 PM CST
    • DAVE , HAVING TROUBLE ACCESSING SOME OF THAT STUFF. IT'S NOTHING YOU DID , OF COURSE......I WANTED TO LOVE THE STONER METAL AND LATTER DAY HEAVY PSYCH BANDS WHEN THEY STARTED TURNING UP , BUT THE ONES I'VE HEARD REALLY LACK SUBSTANCE.      THAT ACID KING (FROM CHICAGO? I DON'T THINK SO , BUT THERE WAS A BAND CALLED ACID KING OR KING ACID , HERE , CA. EARLY 90'S , THEY WERE'NT VERY GOOD.)IS AN EXCELLENT EXAMPLE. IF I SMOKED WEED , I GUESS I'D DIG IT , BUT , IT'S GOT A COOL 'POUR BATTERY ACID ON THE AMPS AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS SOUND' AT FIRST , UNTIL YOU REALIZE THERE'S NOT MUCH MORE TO IT THAN THAT......JUST LIKE JAPANESE NOISE /PSYCH ROCK. I TRIED TO GET INTO IT , BUT , THERE'S NO SONGS.

I'M NOT HEARING MUCH IN THE WAY OF NEW BANDS , LIKE THAT , THAT IS DOING IT FOR ME. YOU COULD SAY I'M TOO CRITICAL......IT'S LIKE WHEN ALL THESE BANDS WERE TRYING TO SOUND LIKE THE BUTTHOLE SURFERS , AND , NOW , YOU'VE GOT THESE NEWER GROUPS DOING THE SAME , TO A DEGREE. IT WAS MORE FUN WHEN ONLY THE BUTTHOLE SURFERS SOUNDED LIKE THEY DID , AND FORMER HARDCORE BANDS WERE SCRAMBLING TO GROW THEIR BEARDS OUT AND BUY DASHIKIS , BUT , IF THEY WERE LUCKY , FOUND SOMETHING OF THEIR OWN..... LITHIUM XMAS HAD THE SCORCH AND THE FEEDBACK , BUT THEY HAD SONGS .    I DUNNO. WHEN BLUE CHEER FINALLY MOVED BACK TO THE STATES , I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO PUT 'EM ON THE ROAD WITH SOME HIP , HAPPENING STONER ROCK BANDS , THE ONES WHO ALWAYS CITED THEM AS AN INFLUENCE , TO TURN THE YOUNGER CROWDS - WHO SHOULD HAVE BEEN FANS , BY THEN , ANYWAY - ON TO THE MOTHERFUCKING MASTERS. DID'NT REALLY HAPPEN , BUT , THE LAST TIME THEY PLAYED HERE , IT WAS ON A BILL WITH 3 OR 4 STONER BANDS , PROBABLY ALL BIGGER THAN THE CHEER IN THEIR OWN RIGHT , BUT , WELL AWARE OF THE DEBT THEY OWED THEM . NEEDLESS TO SAY , THE CHEER BLEW ALL THESE YOUNGER BANDS OFF THE STAGE , BUT IT WAS A LITTLE TOO LATE. HAD DICKIE LIVED , HE'D HAVE PROBABLY GONE BACK TO PLAYING TO 50 TO 150 PEOPLE A NIGHT, AT LEAST IN CHICAGO......Sorry , that has little to do with new bands doing this stuff. But , just creating a racket still is'nt enough. Songs are still a good idea.

• November 4, 2012 2:49 PM CST
    • Not that it matters , but , it occured to me , The first time I saw Sonic Youth was in 1986.

I only saw them in 2003 because they were opening for The Stooges. Same with Shellac , a few years later.

John Battles said:

....While I agree , especially with the last line you wrote , D.A. , not everybody who's smug makes it , or gets branded a sell out. No one would call Albini a sellout , but , he's as smug as they come. I've seen him in action. I'm sure he has a "Cool" side and all that , and , yes , Big Black were contemporaries to Sonic Youth , so he witnessed firsthand whatever changes they made to become moderately famous , so his comments are not unfounded. But , their popularity seems like a fluke , in hindsight. I liked Sonic Youth to a point , but , not enough to buy their records. However , I saw 'em twice in '87 and once in 2003. They sounded exactly the same in '03 as they did when I first saw them , playing to about 40 people . I found Big Black , Rapeman , and Shellac uncommercial as Hell , but , that did'nt mean I liked them. Whatshisname , Big Black's ex - Bassist , he's got my respect , because he's the only person of any note from the Chicago music scene that I used to see riding on the el train with his axe.    You WILL be branded a sellout if money is your only motivation. The Pulsebeats' comment about working with The Dirtbombs , earlier , a grand for a band as popular as they are is'nt that much at all (Though it was'nt clear - to me  - as to whether he was talking Dollars or Pounds , or whether that was a large amount to pay , compared to other bands.).  Those guys draw several hundred people a night , maybe more in Europe.

On the same token , The Gories could have reformed just about any time after about 1995 and been the huge draw they are , now , or close to it. They were virtually unknown outside of Detroit in their day , and only got bigger by splitting up , a strange but effective career move. But , I know Mick and Danny well enough to know their motivations for breaking up the band , and , finally , reforming , were not shallow. If they did tour their asses off , now , yes , the money would be very good , but , they still just do what they feel like doing. They deserve whatever the Hell they do get paid. I was third on the bill to them , two years ago , and even I was surprised with what the club paid me. I'm very , very used to working not for profit , or for next to nothing, so it made up for a few gigs I had to do for free , and I got to work with some people I really like. I think we share the philosophy that , yes , you should work your touchas off , be you big or small. People came out to see you , you should work HARD , BUT , some things are better left to chance . Maybe that was'nt Sonic Youth's attitude about it , but , by the time they'd infiltrated the mainstream , I was, like , "Who cares?".

• November 3, 2012 7:05 PM CDT
    • ....While I agree , especially with the last line you wrote , D.A. , not everybody who's smug makes it , or gets branded a sell out. No one would call Albini a sellout , but , he's as smug as they come. I've seen him in action. I'm sure he has a "Cool" side and all that , and , yes , Big Black were contemporaries to Sonic Youth , so he witnessed firsthand whatever changes they made to become moderately famous , so his comments are not unfounded. But , their popularity seems like a fluke , in hindsight. I liked Sonic Youth to a point , but , not enough to buy their records. However , I saw 'em twice in '87 and once in 2003. They sounded exactly the same in '03 as they did when I first saw them , playing to about 40 people . I found Big Black , Rapeman , and Shellac uncommercial as Hell , but , that did'nt mean I liked them. Whatshisname , Big Black's ex - Bassist , he's got my respect , because he's the only person of any note from the Chicago music scene that I used to see riding on the el train with his axe.    You WILL be branded a sellout if money is your only motivation. The Pulsebeats' comment about working with The Dirtbombs , earlier , a grand for a band as popular as they are is'nt that much at all (Though it was'nt clear - to me  - as to whether he was talking Dollars or Pounds , or whether that was a large amount to pay , compared to other bands.).  Those guys draw several hundred people a night , maybe more in Europe.

On the same token , The Gories could have reformed just about any time after about 1995 and been the huge draw they are , now , or close to it. They were virtually unknown outside of Detroit in their day , and only got bigger by splitting up , a strange but effective career move. But , I know Mick and Danny well enough to know their motivations for breaking up the band , and , finally , reforming , were not shallow. If they did tour their asses off , now , yes , the money would be very good , but , they still just do what they feel like doing. They deserve whatever the Hell they do get paid. I was third on the bill to them , two years ago , and even I was surprised with what the club paid me. I'm very , very used to working not for profit , or for next to nothing, so it made up for a few gigs I had to do for free , and I got to work with some people I really like. I think we share the philosophy that , yes , you should work your touchas off , be you big or small. People came out to see you , you should work HARD , BUT , some things are better left to chance . Maybe that was'nt Sonic Youth's attitude about it , but , by the time they'd infiltrated the mainstream , I was, like , "Who cares?".

• November 3, 2012 6:18 PM CDT
    • Okay, yeah. I don't think you read the quote -- or maybe you don't understand what he's saying. So I'll explain it:

There is in place a vast underground community of musicians who operate either non-profit or for profit bands without the blessing or consent of the mainstream music industry. The hardcore American punk movement of the 80's pioneered and established this community with blood, sweat, tears, and lots and lots of hard work and dedication to the idea that inherent to operating within the established system of corporate music is the willingness to compromise your art. To maximize sales you must maximize appeal. If you need a lesson on how to maximize the appeal of a band just go ahead and turn on your FM radio. It all sounds kinda sorta the same, right? It's almost unambiguous in it's homogeneity and that's by design.

It should be said that working outside the corporate music structure is not easy. It's more work for less pay, but the work you do has meaning and the roads you travel on were paved a long time ago by girls and guys with bands and zines they never thought would get anywhere.

To put it another way, being an independent musician is not idealistic -- it's realistic. All that underground music you worship wouldn't exist if every band was as smug and entitled as The Black fucking Keys. Fuck em'.

• November 3, 2012 4:31 PM CDT
    • That's the best way of putting it, as you need your band to be financially viable. If you change your sound, it's considered suspect by some. The Anarcho-punk band But Alive split up and their vocalist, along with a few other members, teamed up with a ska-punk band and went to a direction influenced by Coldplay and Snow Patrol.  They said that it was so they can write more personal material, but wouldn't some people see this as selling out, even if they run their own record label (as they do)?   

Let's say you were in a hardcore band in the early 80's, for the sake of argument. Your band comes to a point where you can't carry on the way you are, but you don't want to end up playing heavy metal either. Where would you go?

I'd go to a direction like the Brian Jonestown Massacre or indie pop, but who would see it as selling out?

I notice that when people talk about selling out, they sometimes overlook artistic progression, aging out or even disillusionment.  Even Kurt Cobain confided the latter in his diaries, apparently. I wonder whether selling out is just, at times, something to limit development by keeping themselves adolescent.

The Pulsebeats said:

It's not that black and white though. For me, the idea of selling out comes down to one of two things.

1. Endorsing something you oppose for cash. Now that can be anything from GM Motors to Disney to Chump Change Mini-mart.

2. Changing your sound because you specifically want to make more cash.

John Lydon has stated that the butter ads he did paid for the making of the latest PiL record. Does that make him a sell out?

When Radiohead toured Kid A around its release, they did it in a tent in parks so that they didn't have to play corporate arenas. The only beer on sale inside the grounds was Budweiser. Sell outs? Or taking some corporate cash in order to help them achieve their own artistic goal. They've also since gone back to playing said corporate arenas. Sell outs?

Did the Clash sell out when they made Combat Rock, or did they just happen to write a bunch of more commercially sounding songs as they aged? Strange that they were accused of selling out when earlier clash songs rallied against other punk bands for the same crime. That said, they were signed to CBS. Not exactly underground.

Nicky Wire of the Manic Street Preachers, again responding to claims in their early days that they'd sold out, said that they did so the moment they signed a recording contract as from that precise moment it was no longer simply about the music.

Kings Of Leon stated from the outset that their goal was to become one of the biggest bands on the planet. Not to write a classic album or influence people and help them expand their miands. Nope, to simply become one of the biggest bands on the planet. By that measure, can anything they ever do be construed as selling out?

What was Sonic Youths heinous crime?

As fans, I think we project our ideals onto our idols. We regard them as untouchable and unsulliable. But we do not know them. In the vast majority of cases, we do not know what they aspire to and what they believe in and support down to the minute details, so who are we to say when someone sells out, because really it's an accusation that is leveled at almost every punk/garage band who break out of the underground. Put yourself in their position a while. Imagine being offered the exact same job that you have now, except with quadruple wages and better conditions. You gonna turn it down?

Going back to Schmo's initial post, my initial thoughts of bands that have kept it successfully underground are Fugazi and The Dirtbombs. Don't know if they've been offered anything that they declined so as not to sell out. I know The Dirbombs survive because they tour like motherfuckers and charge about a grand a night to play (at least that's what they charged when I booked them for their last Manchester show anyway). I once read that Mick Collins still lives with his dad because having his own place makes absolutely no financial sense. 

I think with art, and more so with music, we equate independence with credibility. If that's the case, my mate Gaz is a more credible film-maker than say Christopher Nolan, who like totally sold out when he made a Batman franchise. What a doosh!

We want artists to struggle and fight to be heard. But if the only people who hear them are their neighbours, what's the point in the struggle?

To clear it all up, just check the Moby Equation.

D. A. Anguiano said:

Well I think we've officially heard from the "Take the money and run" camp. I was planning on typing out a few sentences on why I think its a dogshit idea for independent musicians to schill for a particular movie/corporation/tv show/book, but I'm tired. So this Steve Albini quote about Sonic Youth being idiots will have to do:

“[A] lot of the things they were involved with as part of the mainstream were distasteful to me. And a lot of the things that happened as a direct result of their association with the mainstream music industry gave credibility to some of the nonsense notions that hover around the star-making machinery. A lot of that stuff was offensive to me and I saw it as a sellout and a corruption of a perfectly valid, well-oiled music scene. Sonic Youth chose to abandon it in order to become a modestly successful mainstream band — as opposed to being a quite successful independent band that could have used their resources and influence to extend that end of the culture. They chose to join the mainstream culture and become a foot soldier for that culture’s encroachment into my neck of the woods by acting as scouts. I thought it was crass and I thought it reflected poorly on them. I still consider them friends and their music has its own integrity, but that kind of behavior — I can’t say that I think it’s not embarrassing for them. I think they should be embarrassed about it.”

• November 3, 2012 3:58 PM CDT
    • Weezer's reponse when their label told them to bin half an album and write some hits.

...they still went back and did it though.

• November 3, 2012 3:40 PM CDT
    • Oh, and making it. That's easier. Simply being able to live and support my family through playing live and selling records. Not easy nowadays when people are more inclined to spend 5 quid on an over-priced coffee than they are 1 to download a song.

• November 3, 2012 3:30 PM CDT
    • It's not that black and white though. For me, the idea of selling out comes down to one of two things.

1. Endorsing something you oppose for cash. Now that can be anything from GM Motors to Disney to Chump Change Mini-mart.

2. Changing your sound because you specifically want to make more cash.

John Lydon has stated that the butter ads he did paid for the making of the latest PiL record. Does that make him a sell out?

When Radiohead toured Kid A around its release, they did it in a tent in parks so that they didn't have to play corporate arenas. The only beer on sale inside the grounds was Budweiser. Sell outs? Or taking some corporate cash in order to help them achieve their own artistic goal. They've also since gone back to playing said corporate arenas. Sell outs?

Did the Clash sell out when they made Combat Rock, or did they just happen to write a bunch of more commercially sounding songs as they aged? Strange that they were accused of selling out when earlier clash songs rallied against other punk bands for the same crime. That said, they were signed to CBS. Not exactly underground.

Nicky Wire of the Manic Street Preachers, again responding to claims in their early days that they'd sold out, said that they did so the moment they signed a recording contract as from that precise moment it was no longer simply about the music.

Kings Of Leon stated from the outset that their goal was to become one of the biggest bands on the planet. Not to write a classic album or influence people and help them expand their miands. Nope, to simply become one of the biggest bands on the planet. By that measure, can anything they ever do be construed as selling out?

What was Sonic Youths heinous crime?

As fans, I think we project our ideals onto our idols. We regard them as untouchable and unsulliable. But we do not know them. In the vast majority of cases, we do not know what they aspire to and what they believe in and support down to the minute details, so who are we to say when someone sells out, because really it's an accusation that is leveled at almost every punk/garage band who break out of the underground. Put yourself in their position a while. Imagine being offered the exact same job that you have now, except with quadruple wages and better conditions. You gonna turn it down?

Going back to Schmo's initial post, my initial thoughts of bands that have kept it successfully underground are Fugazi and The Dirtbombs. Don't know if they've been offered anything that they declined so as not to sell out. I know The Dirbombs survive because they tour like motherfuckers and charge about a grand a night to play (at least that's what they charged when I booked them for their last Manchester show anyway). I once read that Mick Collins still lives with his dad because having his own place makes absolutely no financial sense. 

I think with art, and more so with music, we equate independence with credibility. If that's the case, my mate Gaz is a more credible film-maker than say Christopher Nolan, who like totally sold out when he made a Batman franchise. What a doosh!

We want artists to struggle and fight to be heard. But if the only people who hear them are their neighbours, what's the point in the struggle?

To clear it all up, just check the Moby Equation.

D. A. Anguiano said:

Well I think we've officially heard from the "Take the money and run" camp. I was planning on typing out a few sentences on why I think its a dogshit idea for independent musicians to schill for a particular movie/corporation/tv show/book, but I'm tired. So this Steve Albini quote about Sonic Youth being idiots will have to do:

“[A] lot of the things they were involved with as part of the mainstream were distasteful to me. And a lot of the things that happened as a direct result of their association with the mainstream music industry gave credibility to some of the nonsense notions that hover around the star-making machinery. A lot of that stuff was offensive to me and I saw it as a sellout and a corruption of a perfectly valid, well-oiled music scene. Sonic Youth chose to abandon it in order to become a modestly successful mainstream band — as opposed to being a quite successful independent band that could have used their resources and influence to extend that end of the culture. They chose to join the mainstream culture and become a foot soldier for that culture’s encroachment into my neck of the woods by acting as scouts. I thought it was crass and I thought it reflected poorly on them. I still consider them friends and their music has its own integrity, but that kind of behavior — I can’t say that I think it’s not embarrassing for them. I think they should be embarrassed about it.”

• November 4, 2012 1:44 PM CST
    • Thought of a couple -   Blues Magoos - "Sometimes I Think About" (aka "Willie Jean".)

"Here I am , sitting on this goddamn farm." ,  "Here I am , sitting on this county farm.".

Buzzcocks - "Orgasm Addict" -  'Johnny won't fuck you ,always and all ways" ,

"Johnny want fuckee , always and all ways .''.

Nervebreakers - "Girls , Girls , Girls" - "I just can't fuck myself ....Leather , leather . OH ! OH !"    ,       " I JUST CAN'T STOP MYSELF , LET ME ! LET ME ! OH ! OH !".

13th Floor Elevators - "You Don't Know (How Young You Are.)  - "Her daily life revolves around a thousand Eddie Haskells."   ''....A thousand petty hassles.".

Rolling Stones section - "It's All Over Now" - "Playin' her high class games" , "Playin' her half - assed games" (Or is it the other way around?").

"2000 mAN" - "OH , DADDY , PROUD OF YOUR PHALLIC"    , " Oh , Daddy , proud of your planet.".

"When The Whip Comes Down" - "Schizo f*gs  been sittin on the can".   'Shit hits the fan , and I've been sittin' on the can".

'Jumpin' Jack Flash" -  "I was raised by a toothless bat in Hell." ,  "I was raised by a toothless bearded hag".     "I found as the crud slides across my breath." , "I frowned at the crumbs of a crust of bread."

"Street Fightin' Man " - "Yeah , til we name these gorgeous girls , once". , "....YEAH , SAID THE GAME IS CALLED DISTURBANCE".

"You Can't Always Get What You Want" - "To get your prescription beer"  ,   "To get your prescription filled".""

"Happy'' - " Never wanna be like Bob Dylan was , working for the boss , every night and day"....."whatever the fuck he said".

"Satisfaction" - "How white lined shirts compete , I can't get no..."    '' How white my shirts should be".

19TH Nervous Breakdown  - "When you were still in school , you had that boo , really messed your mind"     ,    '"...YOU MET THAT FOOL WHO REALLY MESSED YOUR MIND."

(NOTE : "BOO" IS AN ANCIENT EXPRESSION FOR MARIJUANA.).

"Think" - "Tell me what's wrong with my face ?" , "Tell me whose fault was that , babe?". 

"Lennon , Harrison and Brian are beating the shit out of Allen Klein"

(Secret backmasking , "Doom and Gloom .").

• November 4, 2012 12:46 PM CST
    • Hey amoebaboy. I hear you & these things are always subjective but I think there are 4 reasons why this amp is worth it. The Vox is terrific, you can't go wrong. I look forward to hearing about it when you get it.

1. It sounds £100 better than the standard & there are loads of forums about people expensively 'upgrading' their amps, this doesn't need it.

2. All dealers cut you a deal that is a lot less than the listed, mine did.

3.The most important thing about buying a piece of gear is that you LOVE it & want to make music with it, even if it costs more. This amp is beautiful to look at I can't look at it without turning it on & playing! & perhaps stroking it a little too!  That's worth 100 smackers extra.

4. I will never have a problem re-selling this beauty should I choose to, it's a limited run & a very cool one. I will make back the extra if I need to.

• November 4, 2012 10:29 AM CST
    • Just the thing for my surf green squier jag i thought.... then i took a look at the price.

nice looking amp but i think im still going for a vox, you get a gre3at tremmelo and a spring rev. 

• November 4, 2012 3:15 AM CST
    • I don't know if anyone else has checked out this baby but I just picked it up & am over the moon with it. First off, it has looks to die for. Even the power light is surf green to match the case. The sound, WOW! The big deal is that it has a Celestion Greenback speaker instead of the regular Jensen which gives it a warmer middle & more 'retro' sound to my ear. More Blonde than Blackface.

Anyway I would highly recommend it for surf & garage clean & crunch sounds though you would need to mic it with a loud drummer or venue bigger than a pub.

Now I need some serious fashion tips for a new wardrobe to match & honour the amp. Anyone?

• November 4, 2012 9:44 AM CST
    • Another good one is Fly and His One Man Garbage. I also have a friend in Denver that goes by The Limbs who has toured some with Mosquito Bandito. He's not a rockabilly/primitive blues guy but he puts on a great show and is well worth checking out.

• November 4, 2012 9:27 AM CST
    • Show #395: "Stormy Songs" playlist:

Man - "a) Prelude, b) The Storm"
      We The People - "There's Gonna Be A Storm"
      The Spaniels - "Stormy Weather"
      The Kinks - "Stormy Sky"
      Fraction - "Eye Of The Hurricane"
      The Doors - "Riders On The Storm"
      Bob Dylan - "Shelter From The Storm"
      John & Beverley Martyn - "Stormbringer"
      Them - "Stormy Monday"
      Jimi Hendrix - "In From The Storm"
      Fat Mattress - "The Storm"
      Downliners Sect - "Bad Storm Coming"
      SRC - "Eye Of The Storm"
      The Red Crayola - "Hurricane Fighter Plane"
      Henry Cow - "Bittern Storm Over Ulm"
      Phantom - "Calm Before The Storm"
      Lyn Taitt & The Boys - "Storm Warning"
      Classics IV - "Stormy"
      The Fortunes - "Storm In A Teacup"
      Neil Young - "Like A Hurricane"
      Earth And Fire - "Storm And Thunder"
      The Left Banke - "There's Gonna Be A Storm"
      The Way We Live - "Storm"
      The Standells - "There's A Storm Coming"
      Rainbow - "Everything's Cool/After The Storm"
      Bob Dylan - "Hurricane"
      The Tremblers - "Windstorm"
      The Jesters Of Newport - "Stormy"
      Johnny & The Hurricanes - "Storm Warning"
      Twentieth Century Zoo - "Quiet Before The Storm"
      The Iveys - "Storm In A Teacup"
      The White Noise - "The Black Mass: An Electric Storm In Hell"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/395.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/395.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• November 4, 2012 5:56 AM CST
    • Playlist 11/03/2012

Ultimate Spinach  Your Head is Reeling 
      13th Floor Elevators  Slip Inside This House 
      Bob Seger System  East Side Story 
      Iggy & The Stooges  Gimme Danger 
      Damned  Wait For The Blackout 
      Ultravox  Rockwrock 
      Psychedelic Furs  Mr. Jones (Single Version) 
      XTC  Life Begins At The Hop 
      Metal Mike  Election Day 
      Bad Religion  Change of Ideas 
      Sweet Baby  Year After Year 
      Methadones  Gary Glitter 
      Thee Oh Sees  Wax Face 
      Ty Segal  Would You Be My Love 
      Moon Duo  Sleepwalker 
      Brian Wilson Shock Treatment  Raise Them Up 
      Human Switchboard  Who's Landing In My Hangar 
      Richard Hell  Don't Die 
      Shirts  I'm Not One of Those 
      Dirty Looks  Let Go 
      Palmyra Delran  You're My Brian Jones 
      Fur  Blondi 
      Magnapop  Stick to Me 
      Zuzu's Petals  Do Not 
      Nomads  Can't Go Back 
      Gentleman Jack Grisham  Someone To Love? 
      Detroit Cobras  Hey Sailor 
      Harmonica Lewinski  Bikini Beach 
      Redd Kross  Uglier 
      Fergus & Geronimo  No Parties 
      Everyman Project  Coney Island High 
      Bob Mould  Star Machine 
      Beyond Veronica  Send Me A Postcard 
      Hypnolovewheel  Daylight Savings Time 
      Godfathers  Gone to Texas 

• November 3, 2012 9:27 AM CDT
    • I will be on the air and the web on Saturday Nov. 3rd from 1:00-3:00PM EST playing the usual punk, garage, psychedelic and even a little new wave.  You can listen at 89.7 WITR-FM in Rochester, NY or streaming live at http://witr.rit.edu

• November 4, 2012 3:43 AM CST
    • yes! i need Ass Cobra on vinyl!

• November 4, 2012 3:21 AM CST
    • I met, got drunk with & talked guitars with Darren the guitar player from the Inca Babies on holiday last year. Great guy, great company.

• November 3, 2012 4:27 PM CDT
    • That's pretty funny , about "Vegetable Man". My take on it , and what I've read , was that Syd Barrett wrote about people who live , and die , for fashion.

"Hey , man. Socks are'nt vegetables. They should All Be wiped out !"

Neil , "The Young Ones".

Chris Henniker said:

I love The Saints, especially Know Your Product and I'm Stranded. I love JAMC's version of Vegetable Man, which makes me think of either a flasher or a superhero (could he be both?).

Dead Boy said:

Do you mean you haven't heard their early singles?  I don't have the CD's + DVD box set, but if memory is right, I think they didn't have any great tunes on B-sides except both cover versions of Syd Barrett's "Vegetable man" and the Subway Sect's "Ambition".

And I think early JAMC weren't a great live band.  Actually I have a bootleg of their ealy live, I have played it few times, haha.  But you may found some good tunes, so I donno.

BTW, have you heard the Saints?  I can recommend their CD box set "All Times Through Paradise"!

Jim Reid is a big fan of the Saints!

Also, early Subway Sect's tunes are great, too!  If you didn't know.

• November 3, 2012 4:21 PM CDT
    • If anyone cares , a reformed JAMC just played in Chicago , and they actually sounded pretty good. Walls of Orange amps , saturated in fuzz. Virtually none of the painful feedback sound of yore , if that put any of you off , and no echo on Reid's mike (Which he desperately needed.) , and NUTHIN' from their pre - second LP repertoirre , unless they did maybe one track from "Psychocandy" that I've long since forgotten. I traded that album in a long time ago , but , I'd buy it cheap , now. I did find the "Never Understand" b/w "Suck" and "Ambition" 12" affordably , recently.

John Battles said:

That's the problem , The JAMC's early , pre - LP single sides , particularly "Vegetable Man" and "Ambition" , are really hard to find. I lost interest after their first LP , so I would'nt buy a box set for 8 songs , personally. They earned a terrible reputation after a short tour of the states in about 1986....I saw them in '87 , and they SOUNDED LIKE THEY SHOULD HAVE , EXCEPT THEY DID'NT EVEN HAVE A DRUMMER ! GIMME A BREAK.  Jim Reid was collapsing to the floor , then recomposing himself at least every 30 seconds. You could have set your watch by it ! I heard , later , that the band demanded a case of Russian Vodka that's so rare , you probably could'nt find it in Russia , except on The Black Market. Someone found it, tho' , and the pre -show getting pissed commenced. I STILL ENJOYED THE SHOW , DESPITE THE ANNOYING DRUM MACHINE . i'VE GOT A TAPE WITH A FEW SONGS FROM AN EARLY UK TOUR , THEY DO SOUND PRETTY FUCKED UP , MAYBE NOT IF YOU DID'NT HOLD IT UP AGAINST THEIR RECORDS , THOUGH.    I did'nt think they'd get anywhere , here , and that's a compliment. Something that abrasive should'nt have gotten over in the states , not with The Cure and The Smiths to save us.

• November 3, 2012 3:56 PM CDT
    • The mono vs. stereo argument is something that I guess a lot of DJs mull over , when , in fact , a lot of 60's singles were mixed real hot , whether they were one or the other , tho' a lot of early , panned stereo sounds terrible. It really just depends , and most club's sound systems are incapable of keeping everything on an even keel , anyway , whether it's LPs , 45s , or CDs.

I've found that most records dating up to the mid 60's (The majors gave up on mono in '67 , if I'm not mistaken.) sound better in mono , but , maybe only because they sound different to the versions I knew better....Fuller if not necessarily louder. DJ singles  WERE PRESSED WITH MONO AND STEREO VERSIONS of the  same song well into the 70's , but , sometimes , one version did'nt sound that much different than the other. I think a lot of people are too hardcore about mono .  As you said , it often depends onthe track. The bottom line is , do YOU enjoy a particular record in mono or in stereo , and would you want other people to hear it ?

• November 3, 2012 3:43 PM CDT
    •   If it says "Starday" on the label , buy it.

• November 3, 2012 10:54 AM CDT
    • Radio What Wave Playlist....Nov 1 /2012

First off, big thanx to everyone that came to the Graphic Underground: London 1977-1990 art opening on friday eve....we had over 300 people through on a cold and rainy eve.

And huge thanx to everyone that came out to the party the following night at Call The Office!!! When the venue runs out of almost every kind of beer, you know a good time has been had!! All 4 bands rocked and sounded better than back in the day!!! You'll be hearing  audio from this show on next week's Radio WW.

1. The Ugly Ducklings...Nothin'...from the Somewhere Inside CD. A live recording from CHUM AM from the mid 60's.

2. T.H.E.....Grilled Cheese...locals who supplied us a cool demo and they play out fairly frequently here in London.

3. Dead Rabbits....I Don't Care...recorded live at The Cedar Lounge 10/9/81.

4. Amboy Dukes...Journey To The Center of The Mind...from the Loaded For Bear CD and a request from Port Stanley on beautiful Lake Erie.

5. The Misfits...Halloween II...flip side of the Halloween 7" from 1981 and the start of our day late Halloween set.

6. The Cramps...Teenage Werewolf...from the How To Make A Monster CD and recorded in Oct 1976,  probably on Halloween.

7. Shouting Thomas and the Torments...Dead Man Slide...from the latest GaragePunk Hideout CD, Garage Monsters.

8. Thee Outlets...Vampire Of Mine...from a 7", German all female combo.

9. The Hypnotics...Here She Comes Now...from their LP, Static Fuzz Radio. The Hypnotics are in town tonite at Brennan's here in London.

10. The Hypnotics...Soul At 7...from the CD of the same name.

11. The Hypnotics...Radio City...from their Static Fuzz Radio LP.

12. The Hypnotics...Run Johnny Run...from the Soul At 7 CD.

13. Weirdonia...Green Tables...from their Freaks CD.

14. Weirdonia...1960's Antique Clock...from a demo. Weirdonia are playing with The Hypnotics tonite at Brennan's.

15. Apecassette...The Way...promo CD from this 2 piece from Windsor Ontario.

16. The Spys...Underground...my fave Windsor 7", from the early 80's. The Spys evolved into The Nelsons.

17. The Biters....Oh Yea....recorded live at Call The Office 10/21/12. Great powerpop/70's glam combo from Atlanta.

18. Dynamite Pussy Club...Under The Groove....This is a Radio WW session recorded by this 3 piece combo from Bath, UK. This session was recorded exclusively for Radio WW by our good pals in Dynamite Pussy Club!!!

19. Dynamite Pussy Club...Boogie Shoes.

20. Dynamite Pussy Club... Deep Fried.

21. Dynamite Pussy Club...Griddle. Thanx for all the  calls about Dynamite Pussy Club and this session!! Dynamite Pussy Club Rock!!!!

22. A Passing Fancy...I'm Losing Tonight...7" re-ish on Ugly Pop Records.

23. Flying Squad....Godzilla...from Slippery's Club Hits, the cassette that came with the latest ish of What Wave zine, now on sale at cool record stores here in London.

24. The Hippies...Can Teens...from Slippery's Club Hits, the cassette that came with the latest ish of What Wave zine.

25. The Stoves...Can't Slow Down...as above.

26. The Terminals...D Generation...as above.

27. In-Sect...I Can See My Love....another Ugly Pop 7" re-ish....all these Ugly Pop releases are nicely packaged, some come with inserts and the sound quality is excellent!!

Thanx for all the phone-ins (there were a lot on this show), emails and facebook messages. Back again next week with some audio from Graphics Underground: London party at Call The Office next week.

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/..94-9CHRWThu1800.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/..94-9CHRWThu1830.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/..94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• November 2, 2012 9:37 PM CDT
    • Yep, I got the email from the Norton mailing list as well.  It's very encouraging to hear that so many people have volunteered their time to help out.  They can still use help, so I'll highlight this bit from their most recent email for anyone in the NYC area:

Norton asked for help through the weekend but we actually will continue to need any help that we can get throughout the upcoming week. We are working from 11AM until 11PM every day. Anything that you can do to pitch in would be most appreciated. The folks who have helped so far have been simply incredible. Friends, neighbors, Norton artists and complete strangers – we thank you all for the work, the food and snacks you brought and the much needed support you’ve all shown through this ordeal.

WE WILL NOT GIVE UP ON YOU IF YOU DON'T GIVE UP ON NORTON. THAT'S A PROMISE.

We have gotten messages from people who live too far to get here. Thank you. If you are in our hurricane area, please direct your efforts to helping those who you can reach. Manhattan, Brooklyn, New Jersey, Staten Island, the entire East Coast needs a neighborhood effort.

And the Norton contact info:

email nortonrec@aol.com
      Billy's cell 917 671 7185
      Miriam’s cell 917 671 7884
      Norton landline 718 789 4438

• November 2, 2012 8:42 PM CDT
    • They made another statement , it looks REAL bad , but , they've got a lot of friends helping them , tho' they urged people to work within their own communities if they don't live nearby , but were affected by the hurricane.  Benefit shows , I think , are in order , as they were after the Estrus warehouse fire....But , this is a natural disaster , and when the forces of man meet the forces of nature , man will get his ass kicked. Does'nt mean he won't dust himself off and get back in the fight.

John Battles said:

I third it. But , I think they're probably OK in that dept. It's the assessing that's going to be grueling. I tried to call Miriam a couple of days ago , but , just got her voice mail.

Thanks for the info. It's not good news , but it's better news than it could have been.

As long as they're safe . None of us want to think about losing our STUFF , tho' , in this case , that's their livelihood , but , when you think about it , STUFF is'nt as important as you , your friends and your family.    John.

Wipeout! said:

Damn this is bad news, though glad that the Norton family is safe...I was just about to place an order next week, too...& I second Kopper's hope...