Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• November 6, 2012 4:05 AM CST
    • Ben said:

Your example of a record release show is definitely an exception. That's your night to be the center of attention without a doubt.

What's your band called, Doc?

We're the Cyco Sanchez Supergroup, and our release party was a blast - wouldn't have been if the other two bands, The Neros from our hometown Tübingen and Frank Drebin from Phillipsburg hadn't played such wonderful sets!

The last and assumedly best slot sometimes can be a pain in the ass, too. It happened two times that while playing with other bands we were granted the "best" slot, meaning headlining the evening respectively playing as the second band, and the bands that played before us just wouldn't stop playing. One time there were two local "heroes", and the first one of them just started their whole set over again because someone yelled for an encore. It was an open air party in autumn, parts of my family were there to see us for the first time, and it got colder and colder, we got more and more sober again and entered stage with a two hour delay. That sucked, but we were so pissed off that we put our anger into the show and played one of our best gigs ever, including destroying the stage.

The other time we were three bands, all coming from another town, and we let luck decide who played when. And the first band played twice as long as we (second) and the third band. That was annoying, too.

And how come that it's always the most boring band that wants to play that long, while the good bands seem to know their limits?

• November 6, 2012 3:52 AM CST
    • Here's my favourite garage band from my hometown Tübingen, Southern Germany.

Los Franco Neros

Actually, nowadays it's just The Neros without their singer who's on maternity leave right now.

• November 6, 2012 3:47 AM CST
    • This makes me dizzy...

Trash Freak said:

This Eastwood Bender distortocaster provided me with much merriment & mirth!

• November 6, 2012 3:44 AM CST
    • Interesting, thanks for the explanation!

I always thought, "thee" was also old english for "you"?

And btw, I stumbled across the use of this word outside of garage rock, namely with Psychic TV who named one of their albums "Towards thee infinite beat". They also write "ov" instead of "of".

• November 5, 2012 1:54 PM CST
    •  

Yeah , that was my interpretation of it , that using misspellings like "Thee"(OK , if you're talking about The Bible or Shakespeare , that'd be correct , but saying "Thee " and meaning "The" can also mean a way of stressing one's importance. You know how you hear a famous name , and say "Not THEE whoever". ). I can't say , for certain , whether The Midniters used "Thee" to get certain gangs to patronize them , or just to leave them the Hell alone when they were working . It could have just been to avoid confusion with Hank Ballard and The Midnighters.  But , I have to stress , this was not just an LA thing or just a Latino thing.

There were still a lot of White gangs in Chicago in the mid - 60's , and they liked to fuck shit up at shows , particularly if they did'nt like the band that was playing. They patronized certain bands , and harrassed others. I know certain bands made concessions to gangs to keep from getting their gear stolen or an unprovoked ass- kicking . It depended where you were. The Greasers were notorious in Chicago , and went on into The 70's , but they seemed more like a loosely knit aggregation than an organized mob , AS THEY LIVED AND HUNG OUT IN DIFFERENT AREAS.   There were , of course , Greasers in other parts of the country (See "The Outsiders" , the book and the movie.). I once asked Dave Aguilar from The Chocolate Watchband why Gary Andrijasevich , their Drummer , was the only member of the group who did'nt wear his hair in a stonesy bowl cut , but , rather , in a "Greaser" 'do . He said it was because , depending on which neighborhood you were from , you could get beaten up on a regular basis if you did'nt wear your hair a certain way.

But , I digress. Glad you liked my attempt to explain where the "Thee" came from.

• November 5, 2012 10:25 AM CST
    • That some nice background John - it goes back much farther than I thought. Not sure what you mean by 'securing gang patronage'... something about the formal "thee" with early Chicano gangs?

• November 6, 2012 3:40 AM CST
    • I unfortunately can't help for I'm on the other side of the world. but I wish all of you all the best, not only Norton but all who have suffered in one way or another from Sandy. Keep going, guys!

Cheers, Doc

• November 5, 2012 9:30 PM CST
    • My wife and I went on Saturday to help out.  It was a great experience and I hope I can help out some more this week.  I can't explain how much help Norton needs.  Literally their entire warehouse in Red Hook was underwater, so Norton brought all the records to their HQ where we stripped the vinyl out of the soggy sleeves (rainwater, floodwater, sewage, everything from the storm) and cleaned the records with soap and water.  Next, they dry the records and re-sleeve whatever can be salvaged.  There were two full hallways filled with vinyl, and more still at the warehouse.  PLEASE GO HELP.  These are good people who run an awesome company, and this is their life's work.  They're working all day until 11 pm each day.  As you can see from the video, Miriam is absolutely beside herself.  Billy was in decent spirits on Saturday brought us beer for helping out.  Here's a photo of me cleaning (on the left).  That's Warren from the Barreracudas all the way in the back.

• November 6, 2012 3:22 AM CST

• John Battles said:

I just read that Jo Dunne , Guitarist from Fuzzbox (AKA We've Got a Fuzzbox and We're Gonna Use It.) passed away at just 43 years of age , from Cancer.

I know Fuzzbox were'nt one of those bands that it was considered cool to like. I did. Still do , to a point. I just listened to their first EP a few weeks ago . It's a lot more abrasive and "DIY" than their later work , though their 1st LP IS'NT A RADICAL DEPARTURE FROM THE GARAGE REVIVAL sounds going around at the time , save for the poppier - sounding vocals. Rumor had it the album was recorded for about $200. Another rumor had it that their not so secret weapon , a REAL fuzzbox , was the one used on "Pushin' Too Hard", a record that does'nt even appear to have a fuzztone on it . Truth is , when I first heard their record , I thought it was The Pandoras' new album , and if those were the concessions to commercial rock they were threatening to make , I was fine with it. Moreso than when I actually heard The Pandoras' own final EP.    Cancer also took Kelli Clarkson from Girlschool , another misunderstood all - female band. Cancer is'nt pissing around , but , if we don't live to piss on Cancer's grave , future generations will .

Hi John. I know....I nearly died myself when I heard Kelly passed away from cancer....RIP to a wonderful and talented artist and lady:(. That's a bummer about the Fuzzbox lady....RIP:(. Another lady who passed away in early age was Paula Pierce of the Pandoras, a very underrated garage band....RIP to PP too:(

• November 5, 2012 9:27 PM CST
    • I just read that Jo Dunne , Guitarist from Fuzzbox (AKA We've Got a Fuzzbox and We're Gonna Use It.) passed away at just 43 years of age , from Cancer.

I know Fuzzbox were'nt one of those bands that it was considered cool to like. I did. Still do , to a point. I just listened to their first EP a few weeks ago . It's a lot more abrasive and "DIY" than their later work , though their 1st LP IS'NT A RADICAL DEPARTURE FROM THE GARAGE REVIVAL sounds going around at the time , save for the poppier - sounding vocals. Rumor had it the album was recorded for about $200. Another rumor had it that their not so secret weapon , a REAL fuzzbox , was the one used on "Pushin' Too Hard", a record that does'nt even appear to have a fuzztone on it . Truth is , when I first heard their record , I thought it was The Pandoras' new album , and if those were the concessions to commercial rock they were threatening to make , I was fine with it. Moreso than when I actually heard The Pandoras' own final EP.    Cancer also took Kelli Clarkson from Girlschool , another misunderstood all - female band. Cancer is'nt pissing around , but , if we don't live to piss on Cancer's grave , future generations will .

• November 6, 2012 1:38 AM CST
    • Took the words right outta my mouth...

• November 6, 2012 1:32 AM CST
    • Any word on this new Oblivians album? Nobody's comment on this thread for 2 months. Are they still shooting to release it before the end of the year?

• November 5, 2012 4:15 PM CST
    • Hola a todos /as miembros de la guarida y gracias por acojerme aqui me gusta este tipo de musica desde que tengo uso de razon ya que en casa mi hermano la escuchaba me parece increible la cantidad de bandas buenas que hay aqui tambien espero aportar algo ala guarida un saludo

• November 5, 2012 12:10 PM CST
    • Moved the show to Mondays:  Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel!!!!!!!

Kustom City Sounds

11-5-12

Set List

Hour One

Bare Wires – Impossible Things

Combomatrix – Bikini Gorge

Chainsaw Hookers – Christine

OBN III’s – You Wanna Bitch

Redd Kross – Peach Kellie Pop

Shutdown 66 – Pleasantville

The Embrooks – Standing Upside Down

The Flight Reaction – Mourning Light

Iggy Pop – Five Foot One

Waterboy – I am 31 Years Old

Jim Foster – Ragroof Roadster

Jeff Beck & The Big Town Playboys – Race With The Devil

Hellbound Glory – Rusted Up Old Pickup Trucks

Nashville Pussy – Drive

Cretin 66 – Hellbound and Haulin’ Ass

The White Stripes – The Big Three Killed My Baby

Spyder Turner – Ride In My 322

Big Stick – Drag Racing

Ministry – Jesus Built My Hot Rod

Lawyer

The Mobsmen – Le Mans

Hour Two

The Migs – Rock and Roll Stole My Stole

The Murdocs – Dead Regrets

The Now Time Delegation – Raise Your Hand

The People’s Temple – Sons Of Stone

Purple Things – Wild Man

The Revellions – Ain’t No Fool

The SHIT – Shakin’ Your Ass

The Hexxers – Bones By My Bedside

The Alarm Clocks – Yeah

George The Rabbit

Ike & Tina Turner – Stagger Lee and Billy

We The People – Breakdown

Suzy Chunk – For The Millionth Time

Nick Waterhouse – I Can Only Give You Everything

The Nine Ton Peanut Smugglers – Baldhead

Thee Tumbitas – Woman Of Sin

The Troggs – With A Girl Like You

The Unwed Teenage Mothers – Little Allie

Thee Marvin Gays – Gotta Go

It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World – Taxes

Frank Zappa – Peaches En Regalia

Hour Three

Brian Hyland – Gypsy Woman

Teenager – Bank Account

The Bad Lovers – Things That I Forgot

Supersuckers – Clueless

Southern Culture On The Skids – Camel Walk

Reverend Horton Heat – River Ran Dry

Flat Duo Jets – Rock House

Charlie Feathers – I Can’t Hardly Stand It

Eddie Kirkland – I Love You

John Wayne – The Hell I Won’t

The Escatones – Out Of Sight Out Of Mind

The Delta 72 – Are You Ready

Inmates – Mr. Unreliable

Jim Jones Revue – 7 Times Around The Sun

The Rolling Stones – Hand Of Fate

The Mummies – I’m Gonna Kill My Baby Tonight

Boomgates – Everything

Outcasts – Just Another Teenage Rebel

Hour Four

The Assmeble Head In Sunburst Sound – Phantom Ramjet

The Black Explosion – Wake Up

The Hedgehogs – I Throw A Stone Into The Endless Depths

The Cosmic Dead – Spice Melange Spectrum

Five Day Rain – Leave It At That

Baby Woodrose – Dark Twins

Dead Ghosts – Detroit Jerry

Cold Sun – South Texas

Cosmonauts – Crocodile Teeth

• November 5, 2012 6:13 AM CST
    • can't pick one. Adkins, king louie, BBQ, umm does Leadbelly count?

also bob log for some giggles :)

• November 5, 2012 3:28 AM CST
    • reverend dead eye!

• November 4, 2012 6:54 PM CST
    • Joe Buck Rules!

Zoot Allures said:

Seems like Hasil has inspired a new generation.
      Anybody heard of Joe Buck?

or Molly Gene?

• November 4, 2012 8:46 PM CST
    • I agree, Sean. In my book the Cramps could do no wrong. It was a sad sad day for the world of music when Lux passed. I always thought they held up their punkness no matter what.

• November 4, 2012 8:45 PM CST

• Sean said:

The Cramps managed to pull it off. They sold out, admitted it, but still stayed the same kick ass band. Same with The Ramones. I think The Ramones are the best example of a Punk group becoming one of the most popular and well known Punk groups of all time, but were still a "Punk" group and never changed their ways or style. Their songs did manage to get a bit Poppy over the years, but it wasn't complete shit like how most bands end up. 

• November 4, 2012 7:09 PM CST
    • Dave , Well , you know , I'm not ruling out everything. As I say , I was'nt able to check all of that stuff out. There ARE'NT a whole lot of gifted lyricists out there , not that I'm hearing , at least..... 

dave said:

Good point, John, and thanks for listening. Music is one of the most personal forms of art we have, and I have no problem with anyone not taking my views.

As far as lyrics go, I'll agree w/ ya, hardly anybody has decent lyrics. The Kent 3 were the last band I heard who were wordsmiths. Turbonegro's 2 classic lp's were hilarious, but I don't know if I'd say that the lyrics were super.

But lately I find myself getting into more atmospheric cuts by bands w/ 4-to-15 minute songs, esp. when I'm online. Maybe being online is what the original hippies felt when they got stoned and listened to acid rock, haha.

I joke. But it's probably more like Jerry Dammers liking voodoo songs. 'I can really get into 'em, but when I finally zone out, the song's over'.

Anyhoo, thanks for giving 'em the old college try. Guess I'm turnin' into one o' then World Music types! Pass the spliff...

Cheers, Dave

• November 4, 2012 4:55 PM CST
    • Good point, John, and thanks for listening. Music is one of the most personal forms of art we have, and I have no problem with anyone not taking my views.

As far as lyrics go, I'll agree w/ ya, hardly anybody has decent lyrics. The Kent 3 were the last band I heard who were wordsmiths. Turbonegro's 2 classic lp's were hilarious, but I don't know if I'd say that the lyrics were super.

But lately I find myself getting into more atmospheric cuts by bands w/ 4-to-15 minute songs, esp. when I'm online. Maybe being online is what the original hippies felt when they got stoned and listened to acid rock, haha.

I joke. But it's probably more like Jerry Dammers liking voodoo songs. 'I can really get into 'em, but when I finally zone out, the song's over'.

Anyhoo, thanks for giving 'em the old college try. Guess I'm turnin' into one o' then World Music types! Pass the spliff...

Cheers, Dave

• November 4, 2012 3:58 PM CST
    • Ghislaine , That's a great line "(They) wrote 21 songs that are ALL hits".

I think The Remains were in a very unlikeable position , in that they were better Musicians and Songwriters than most Garage bands of their time , BUT , their songs did'nt sound terribly commercial , either. To US , those songs are timeless hits , but , in their time , they , somehow , did'nt work within the framework of AM Radio . They could have had a hit single , but , where would they have gone from there ? Albums were'nt selling big , yet , even though they , and several of their contemporaries , put out great albums at the time. The Remains had about every opportunity a band could have dreamed of - The Ed Sullivan Show , Hullabaloo , and an opening spot on The Beatles' very last tour. But , they were on the bottom of the bill , and all the other acts (The Ronettes , The Cyrkle , Bobby Hebb) had hit records. I don't know if drugs factored heavily in their demise(I have'nt read Barry Tashian's book.)....Artistic differences probably had a lot to do with it , plus , outside of Boston , they could'nt get arrested. Doing The Beatles tour had to be invigorating and demoralizing at the same time. Imagine going out to tens of thousands of people who just don't want to see or hear you. They split up right after that tour , maybe they figured this was as good as it was going to get. Sadly , they would have been right. But , at least , time has been very good to them , and they're held with high regard , today. AND , they're still playing , today. I saw them a few years ago , and they were phenomenal. I'D URGE ANYONE WHO HAS THE CHANCE TO GO SEE THEM.

Ghislaine said:

woops i remember posting a discussion about the definition of ''selling out '' a  while ago,the discussion turned sour  and it was finnally closed.:( The Remains...kept it ''small''if i may dare to say while they deserved the top cos they are heroes!I read that it was poor decision making of them  that they split due to abuse of substances.But who knows if it wasnt for artistic reasons?Cos ,when you write 21 songs that are ALL hits...maybe you gave it all...i dont know.