Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• August 30, 2012 7:01 PM CDT
    • Thank you Caryn. I might try glueing a non-slip bathtub pad to the board. Also, good idea about the chain.
      caryn lavender said:

They have this stuff that comes in a roll with a sticky backing...it's used for stairs and such to prevent slipping...or how about those stick on rubber things that go on the bottom of a bathtub or shower so you don't slip.

I will also post a video or something after it's complete...

I was also considering using chain against the license plates...like a snare sound.

• August 30, 2012 6:59 PM CDT
    • This is a percussion instrument. I have a 10 3/4 x 15 1/2 piece of wood  (which is screwed to the top of a wooden office inbox) which hangs  5  1/2" over the edge of this box. By pressing at the end of this board, the box makes an up and down motion. The dugout is where I will place the tamberene (which i plan to affix to this device), so I can easily pull it out.   I am thinking about tying a bungee cord to the tamboreen as an alternative. 

I hope I was able to clarify things with this post.

G. Wood said:

I don't understand what this kickstand is, or where the bucket goes or what a dugout is. In fact, I don't understand anything about this! What is this thing for? I see a mention of drums, is this a percussion instrument? I don't get it.

• August 30, 2012 6:33 PM CDT
    • They have this stuff that comes in a roll with a sticky backing...it's used for stairs and such to prevent slipping...or how about those stick on rubber things that go on the bottom of a bathtub or shower so you don't slip.

I will also post a video or something after it's complete...

I was also considering using chain against the license plates...like a snare sound.

• August 30, 2012 5:35 PM CDT
    • I don't understand what this kickstand is, or where the bucket goes or what a dugout is. In fact, I don't understand anything about this! What is this thing for? I see a mention of drums, is this a percussion instrument? I don't get it.

• August 30, 2012 5:06 PM CDT
    • Good luck with the "Idaho Drum," Caryn.

Anyway, after assembling the main parts to this contraption, I discovered the slickness of the wood is a problem. Time to find some non-slick rubber and/or maybe add a Velcro strap to go around my shoe. Otherwise, my beat is more uncoordinated.

When I am done, i will put up a YouTube video explaining how I built this and how it runs.

• August 30, 2012 1:48 PM CDT
    • I might steal your license plate idea...it sounds interesting...and I just had to replace the plates on my car, so I already have 2 plates ready to go ;)

• August 30, 2012 1:43 PM CDT
    • Am getting ready to do the same type of thing...I am calling it the Idaho Drum Kit...I don't plan on doing the one man band kind of setup though, because, to tell you the truth, I am not that coordinated...

• August 30, 2012 1:02 PM CDT
    • I am in the process of creating a DIY percussion stompbox. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

I have a 10 3/4" x 15 1/2" wooden office outbox. I am going to screw a 6" x 9 1/8" foot  board to create a sort of a kick stand on the bottom of the box.  I want to add a dugout, bracket or something similar  in which I can easily put in and pull out a tamberine. Also, I will place various nuts, bolts, nails, coins and whatever in a can and create an area to slide this canister into. I also am going to make it easy to add and remove this canister. I will have a thick wooden board to bang the drum onto.

I will mike this up and put it through my spare practice Silvertone guitar amp. 

In addition,  I plan to experiment with putting Velcro on a license plate and attaching it to my shoe and  banging the plate on the bottom board.

Another experiment will be placing the license plates on the bottom board and hitting my pedal on this board. 

This is something my son and I are messing with to have fun.

Has anybody one here ever tried anything like this before? Any comments, suggestions, etc. would be much appreciated.

• August 30, 2012 2:34 PM CDT
    • I totally love 45s, and some of my very favourites would be The Masters Apprentices "Undecided', The Kinks "Waterloo Sunset", Small Faces "All Or Nothing", Ramones "Do You Wanna Dance", Haunted "1-2-5", MC5 "Looking At You" and Buzzcocks "Ever Fallen In Love".
      Here's a pretty casual blog dedicated to various 45s in my own colection. Hasn't been updated recently, but I'll get back to that as summer winds down.

http://singles-minded.tumblr.com/

• August 30, 2012 5:27 AM CDT
    • Was there a picture sleeve with that? What else did you find?

• August 29, 2012 7:13 PM CDT
    • FAVE RECENT 45 SCORE - Paul Revere and The Raiders "Orbit - The Spy" b/w "Beatnik Sticks".

This was their very first single , on Gardena. I thought it was the second , but , I looked it up (Not on WIKI! HA!) . "Orbit" is a killer Surf / Ventures -ish instrumental , that goes thru about 10  tempo changes. It's like they spliced ten songs onto one , and it worked.  "B.S." is similar to the follow - up and their first hit , "Like , Long Hair", BUT , i THINK IT'S THE BETTER OF THE TWO.

"Orbit - The Spy" was mentioned in an article in Kicks ,  IN THE 80'S , about "Grunge Guitar" , back when the more or less self - coined term MEANT something.

Don't envy me , tho'. It took me YEARS to find this , and it's certainly playable , but not in great shape. I had to root thru the cellar of a local antique store that REEKS of soot. My eyes were burning for two days when I went back there , this past week .

• August 29, 2012 7:04 PM CDT
    • Wow , great sleeve art. "Kuk" , of course , is a classic. I have the single with the also - classic "Baja" ON THE FLIP.

• August 29, 2012 7:00 PM CDT
    • Great EP. A lot of people thought they were Canadians , or , at least , Canucks relocated to Texas (In a sort of Draft - Dodger exchange program.Sorry , that was'nt funny. I don't think Canada HAD the draft.). In fact , I found a pretty good Canadian 60's and 70's comp on a big label , and "Writing on The Wall' was on it ! These guys were'nt even HONORARY Canadians , like Ronnie Hawkins. Oh , well.

• August 30, 2012 9:23 AM CDT
    • Church of Thee PVC # 11 is now live and ready for your ear'oles. Give it a spin and let us know what you think.

Here's what you'll get:

Loch Ness Monster – King Horror

Hot Tamales – The Prime Mates

Preaching the Blues – The Gun Club

All My Loving – The Almighty Defenders

Stop and Listen – The Shag

I Don’t Like You – Bo Diddley

Loving Cup – The Triumphs

Don’t Call Me Flyface – The Reekers

Problems – The Heathens

Bdaaa!!! – Los Peyotes

Diamond Skull – Atomic Suplex

Girl from the Neck Down – Suzi Chunk

Block of Ice – Thee Oh Sees

Golden Girl – The Rabble

Speedway – The Heyburners

Fuck… - Dan Sartain

Axis Abraxis – Mark Sultan

Let Me In – Hunx

Jamskate – Quintron

Sally Sensation – The Buff Medways

Brown Trash – Tandoori Knights

• August 30, 2012 8:40 AM CDT
    • The August 26th Show! 
      Listen here: http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20120826-0030-t1345937400.mp3

The setlist:

EYES  WHEN THE NIGHT FALLS 
      FIELD MUSIC IN THE MIRROR
      THE BIRDS YOU'RE ON MY MIND
      HAWKWIND ORGONE ACCUMULATOR
      THE REIGNING SOUND  WEST TEXAS SOUND 
      THE FLAMIN' GROOVIES  SHE SAID YEAH 
      THE FLAMIN' GROOVIES  DON'T YOU LIE TO ME 
      PACK LOOKIN' FOR DANGER 
      006 LIKE WHAT ME WORRY?
      ALFRED E. NEUMAN  IT'S A GAS 
      MAD MAGAZINE  SHE GOT A NOSE JOB 

PAUL MESSIS /JESSICA WINTER  SUNFLOWER 
      THE FLAMIN' LIPS  SLEEPING ON THE ROOF 
      PINK FLOYD  A SPANISH THEME 
      PINK FLOYD  DRAMATIC THEME 

MOUNTAIN  TIRED ANGELS 

BOB MC FADDEN & DOR  THE BEAT GENERATION 
      LEONARD NIMOY & WM. SHATNER  HIGHLY ILLOGICAL 
      THE CHARTS  OOBA GOOBA 
      THE SCOTSMEN BEER BUST BLUES 
      JAN DAVIS  THE TIME TUNNEL 
      STEVE KING  SATAN IS HER NAME 

PHYLLIS DILLER  (I CAN'T GET NO) SATISFACTION 

• August 30, 2012 8:37 AM CDT
    • I have not herd heard that single.  But thanks for the tip, I'll be searching it out!  Cheers!

Peter Brat von Staben said:

Great seeing some classic Aussie 60's... especially the Throb. Have you heard their single 'Black'? Awesome!

Cheers

• August 29, 2012 6:54 PM CDT
    • That's a good idea. I kind of doubt it was him. Tho' it could have been a Brother or cousin.

Daniel M said:

@John: I think the Youtube site is maintained by someone in the band. You might contact them through Youtube if you have an account and see if your teacher was in this band.

• August 28, 2012 10:28 AM CDT
    • I just found out Prima Donna is finally coming to Pittsburgh.  They will play at the 31st Street Pub on September 27 with the Dollyrots.  I'll have some pictures to share.

• August 29, 2012 11:05 AM CDT
    • Hey,

I was wondering if you guys could lend a hand with something.

I'm probably crazy but I swear I heard a really great swampy garage punk cover version of what might be this song the other night:

Big Daddy Wilson - This Is How I Live

Not 100% sure it is the song, I was drunk when I heard it and just half-remembered some lyrics and the general feel of it. Anybody have any idea of the song I am looking for? Tried Google, iTunes, Soulseek, Last.FM, and various other sources first. Nada.

If it is any further assistance, the cover has the same riff as this song:

• August 28, 2012 9:41 PM CDT
    • Typically, it is held Labor Day weekend, and has been just on Sunday the past few years, but in 2010 it was held in October for some reason.

Zachary Griffin said:

Alison,
      I read your post about it going from a 3 day to a 1 day event. In google-researching the event since seeing your original post I gather that Dragon-Con (which I went to in 1995) had something to do with this. I have decided that I am coming down for Drive Invasion next year. Because of my line of work I need to make arrangements almost a full year in advance. I need to know 2 things.
      1. Is Drive Invasion always the Sunday before Labor Day?
      2. Is Dragon-Con always the weekend before Labor Day (When I went it was in June or July...Since I will be in the area, might as well make a return trip for a day)?

Thanks for your help.

• August 28, 2012 7:35 PM CDT
    • This week's show featured music from Manchesters The Bell Peppers who are a new Surf group, as well as music from Young Rival, The Standells, The Stooges, The Clash, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion and more!

Listen/download the podcast here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20120828-1030-...

Check out my blog post and interview with The Bell Peppers here:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2012/08/bell-pepper-hopan-interview-with...

The Play List: 

1.  What Seas What Shores – Siren Radio
      2.  Papermaps – Reaction Formation
      3.  Sebadoh - License To Confuse
      4.  Tame Impala – Elephant
      5.  Blonds – Magic
      6.  Dundas – You Can’t Hear Me
      7.  Jaill – House With Haunting
      8.  Vic Godard & The Subway Sect – Double Negative
      9.  Twin Library – Phantoms Run The Factory
      10. Wax Mannequin – Black Bells (Reprise)
      11. The Cramps – Voodoo Idol
      12. Indian Wars – Commanche Killer
      13. Atomic 7 - She's Got Haggar Party Slacks
      14. Bell Peppers – Drapes N’ Squares
      15. Bell Peppers – Moonlight Heartache
      16. Thee Oh Sees – Tidal Wave
      17. The Standells – Rari
      18. The Stooges – Trollin’
      19. Lost Patrol – Ghost In The Night
      20. Young Rival – Black Is Good
      21. John Spencer Blues Explosion – Soul Typecast
      22. The Clash – Know Your Rights

• August 28, 2012 7:28 PM CDT
    • I'd hardly call 'em "Elderly ", though....Mick is younger than me , and Kid only has a couple of years on me.

• August 28, 2012 1:37 PM CDT
    • Les Sexareenos from the 90's and 00's

• August 28, 2012 1:33 PM CDT
    • The go nuts and phantom surfers came to mind first

• August 28, 2012 10:24 AM CDT
    • gotta check that out for sure.

Ray Klein said:

Ive been enjoying the new Chrome Cranks Album.