Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• September 7, 2012 12:40 AM CDT
    • i have been trying to find this movie called "It came from Detroit" for about a year now. i can't find it because it is not out yet. but they have a FB page, and i left a comment and someone (who knows who) said it will be out in time for Xmas. any body else got any info on this?

if you haven't heard of it... you should you tube the trailer, it looks good.

• September 6, 2012 11:43 PM CDT
    • Okay everybody. Here is the for now, the final version until I make changes again...

I added an old 1971 Iowa license plate, which I double taped to the box. This actually creates a more base ended beat while I still run the guitar delay pedal. Also attached is a tamberine, which I atteched a very strong clamp to this contraption. Basically, everything else is the same except I beat on the top of the box with my foot instead of rocking the box back and forth.

The stomp side of this contraption.

The microphone side.

• September 6, 2012 10:54 PM CDT
    • Just about everyone and their mother have done a recording session with John Peel... some are officially released, some are bootlegged, some are freely available for streaming (most are bootlegged).  In the pre-internet days, Peel Sessions were a regular commodity of tape traders.  Just from the sheer volume of artists that have gone through his studio, of course there are many that I could care less about too. But there are many gems in there. Some of my favorite Peel Sessions:

Man Or Astroman "Inside the head of John Peel" 2x7" boot

Mummies "1994 Peel Sessions" boot

Butthole Surfers "Peel Show 1988" boot

Bikini Kill "Peel Sessions" boot

The list could go on & on....

There's only a few dozen sessions in the archives so far, but there must be hundreds of bands that did sessions for his show.  The man is a legend.

John Battles said:

A friend sent me some amazing Peel sessions , and a couple I could have done without. Just saying. He must have got them , here.

• September 6, 2012 7:35 PM CDT
    • A friend sent me some amazing Peel sessions , and a couple I could have done without. Just saying. He must have got them , here.

• September 6, 2012 1:21 PM CDT
    • Any other John Peel fans? I just came across this and can't believe I didn't see it sooner.  TheSpace.org is hosting representative pieces of his massive collection of records, recording sessions, radio shows, photos... really well done.  His family is curating the collection, adding 100 vinyl entries a week.  (The total vinyl collection is around 25,000 LPs, 40,000 7"s, and uncounted CDs, cassettes, digital, reels, you name it.)  Photos and video is updated regularly, too.  It was originally only going to run through October, but it sounds like they might leave it up a bit longer; at any rate, it's definitely worth checking out before it's gone.

-->The John Peel Archives Online<--

John's Home Studio

• September 6, 2012 7:46 PM CDT
    • That's the one time I saw them , in Dallas , in '81. bUT , I NEVER HEARD THAT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A "FAREWELL TOUR".     I ALMOST COULD'NT AFFORD A TICKET , THEN (I think they were $18.) ! I WAS IN LINE TO GET A TICKET IN '78 , WHEN THEY PLAYED A MUCH SMALLER VENUE , WILL ROGERS AUDITORIUM , IN FT. WORTH (THE SHOW THAT WAS JUST RELEASED ON DVD AND CD , RECENTLY.). I did'nt get a ticket. My Brothers all did, and they did'nt stand in line. Plus , they got their tix for face . I missed two smaller venue tickets in Chicago, at The Double DOOR (I WAS IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD THE DAY TIX WENT ON SALE , BUT I DID'NT KNOW ABOUT IT.) AND tHE ARAGON VOMITORIUM . I got the word the cops were cracking down on scalpers , so tickets would be available on the street for face , if not a little more. Face , MINUS "SERVICE CHARGE" , was $50. ON THE STREET , EVERYBODY WAS CHARGING $400 , A SET PRICE , JUST LIKE HEROIN !

I'D STILL LIKE TO SEE THEM ONE MORE TIME , BUT , NOT FOR HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS , THANX.

• September 4, 2012 8:52 AM CDT
    • Well All I have to add to this is that, I went to their first farewell tour back in 81! Guess that worked out too well. Don't think I could/would afford the tickets now.

• September 6, 2012 3:51 PM CDT
    • Hello

I wan't to let everyone know about my own little radio massacre. The Show is called Acid Drop and I send it from the very small and crappy Radioindustrie Studio in Switzerland.

Go to: Acid Drop on Radioindustrie.ch

I play a lot of styles from blues and rockabilly to garage, punk, trash and so on. Always old and new stuff. Comments are in Swiss-German. Also Bands from the hideout. send me comments, feedback or tracks you want me to play to:

acid@radioindustrie.ch or on the shows page

I think the show is streamable. It comes at least one a month on sundays from 7 pm to 8 pm (mostly longer) Middle European Time. 

It's also on itunes for free, you can subscribe

Here's the Playlist from my latest episode (Nr. 34? maybe more)

Summertime Blues -                  The Who

My Baby's Gone Away -              The Scumbugs

13 MPH and I'm Speeding -         McFadden's Parachute

Driven by Love -                       45 Spider

Too Fast -                                Rock 'n' Roll Monkey and the Robots

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction -     The Ventures

Take Me Home -                       Drunken Shrimps

Rosalyn -                                 The Undertakers

You Got Good Taste -                 The Cramps

Good Suits and Fightin' Boots -    The Bonnevilles

Bedrock -                                Frantik Flinstone

Pick 'Em Up Shake 'Em Down -    Cecil McCullough

I Don't know Why -                    Al & the Black Cats

She Turned Out -                      The Ohm

The Church of Rock 'n' Roll -       The Beat Killers

Beaver Fever -                         The Brain Eaters

Devil Child -                            The Deep Eynde

I'm A Baby -                            9th Street Market

Gonna make you mine -             Riot Squad

Grow your own -                       Small Faces

Suburbia -                                Schleprock

I keep posting here for upcoming shows. Enjoy

May the Fuzz be with you!

• September 5, 2012 7:37 PM CDT
    • I don't have many fuzz pedals, but the Land of the Rising Fuzzz to me captures 60's fuzz.  It's based on the shin-ei companion with a couple extras for you to tweak around with.  I dialed in the guitar tone to the intro on the MC5 version of "I can only give you everything" effortlessly.  I can't say it's the most versatile pedal, but it nails that agitated electricity sound that screams 60's to me.  I love my Black Russian Muff but that's for meatier tasks.

• September 5, 2012 8:04 AM CDT
    • Thanks, John.

Don't think I can swing Fitzgeralds but I will be in Sycamore the next night for their gig at the Sycamore Film Festival.

• September 5, 2012 12:49 AM CDT
    • Joe , you've got your mind all around it , as usual. The things about Johnny that people disliked , and , still do , I've found , still had as much to do with creating , and maintaining, The Ramones as the things in this book that make him seem appealing.

I saw an advance screening of "End of The Century" with a handful of local critics ( Such assholes.) . Toward the end , Johnny was asked if he'd tried to contact Joey , while he was on his on his deathbed , and he says " No. I did'nt think he'd want to talk to anybody he hated.".

The next day , Johnny died.   Man , I sure hope they're talking to each other again.

Fleshtones , 9/14 , Fitzgerald's. You in ?

Joe Bonomo said:

• September 5, 2012 12:08 PM CDT
    •  My September show is a special edition celebrating Liverpool International Festival of Psychedelia, so there's lots of fuzz and feedback, with an exclusive from Mugstar and a special 30 minute psych mix from The Time And Space Machine alongside great sounds from The Lucid Dream, Plank!, Baltic Fleet, Wolf People and laods more.

Show streams at various times all month - check www.dandelionradio.com/schedule for detals.

Let me know if you get the chance to hear it - pete@dandelionradio.com

Cheers!

• September 5, 2012 8:00 AM CDT
    • Dang...link dead for your album

Ivan Andreini said:

Any glam rock fans out there can check us out: NERVOUS SHAKES; Our album is on Ratboy 69's blog and our latest vinyl single is on my GPunk page; That's if you like the Dolls/the Undertones/etc; When I was a kid, I saw the Undertones over here in Brussels and they did Gary Glitter 'Rocknroll part 2' Glam forever; Ivan Hold Her

• September 5, 2012 7:35 AM CDT
    • Cool:)

Mottey's Garage said:

It goes through their entire career. Plus has bonus interviews with roadies, friends, and has the concert from reunion gig as bonus

MikeL said:

Does that DVD show Mott back in their prime, or is it from their recent reunion gigs? Either way, I would like to check it out. I saw Ian Hunter in concert last year, and he still has it.

Mottey's Garage said:

Glam is OK by me, I do a glam podcast about once a month or so. And of course, Mott the Hoople, pioneer punks and later glam stars...have a special place in my heart. Just watch the Mott The Hoople DVD that came out last year...and I do recommend it

• September 5, 2012 7:34 AM CDT
    • It goes through their entire career. Plus has bonus interviews with roadies, friends, and has the concert from reunion gig as bonus

MikeL said:

Does that DVD show Mott back in their prime, or is it from their recent reunion gigs? Either way, I would like to check it out. I saw Ian Hunter in concert last year, and he still has it.

Mottey's Garage said:

Glam is OK by me, I do a glam podcast about once a month or so. And of course, Mott the Hoople, pioneer punks and later glam stars...have a special place in my heart. Just watch the Mott The Hoople DVD that came out last year...and I do recommend it

• September 5, 2012 2:48 AM CDT
    • Sorry if it's already been said... but what was the Posion Ivy/Vengeance news?!

• September 4, 2012 3:19 PM CDT
    • Eric Friedl starts some rumors in a new Get Bent interview:

Interviewer: And I have to ask, anything you can tell us about the new Oblivians record?

Eric: We’ve secretly been working on it since 1998. It’s our Fleetwood Mac Tusk. People will hate it when it comes out and in 30 years, when it doesn’t matter any more, kids will think it’s really great. Get ready for Techno Oblivians, with Memphis horns!

Link to the full article

• September 5, 2012 12:36 AM CDT
    • I found it very informative.....It's true , on some level , it seems to be more about Levy (Did'nt know he was the inspiration for Hesh - who seems like an angel by comparison. I actually thought he was based on Seymour Stein ! ). Someone else complained that it could have been better written , but , Tommy , a non - Author , had to tell the story , himself , once all the guys that could have killed him were dead. Tommy's non - hit stuff remains very interesting. Like the "In Touch" album , Glam revisited , six years before Joan Jett (Who , of course , scored big with a Tommy James cover that I personally , never dug.) did the same thing.

Tommy still puts on a rockin'  show , too.

• September 5, 2012 12:15 AM CDT
    • OK , if anyone's interested , I found a Blue Ash LP , I think , their 2nd. Blue Ash were a Power Pop band , to generalize , comparable (In ways.) to The Raspberries , but with a harder guitar crust than even the last two Raspberries records , and some REAL ballsy vocals.

Their Guitarist , Frank Secich (sic) later went on to play with Stiv Bators , on his great early solo stuff , and in the revamped Dead Boys lineup , ca . 1980. In his last interview (In Black To Comm) , Stiv stated that his first band , Mother Goose , opened for Blue Ash in 1972. 

• September 4, 2012 6:53 PM CDT
    • This week's show had a feature on the Rolling Stones album 12 X 5, but also music form Light Bulb Alley, The Visitors, Tranzmitors, Teenage Head, Sebadoh, Reigning Sound and more.

Listen/download the podcast here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20120904-1030-t1346751000.mp3

Check out this week's blog post on 12 X 5 by The Rolling Stones:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2012/09/confessin-blues-rolling-stones-12-x-5.html

The Play List:

1.  The Visitors - Living World
      2.  Teenage Head - Top Down
      3.  Tranzmitors - Concrete Depression
      4.  Sebadoh - Gimme Indie Rock
      5.  Sugar - Changes
      6.  Dog Day - What She Says
      7.  Craig Martinson - Heartbeat
      8.  Woods - Military Madness
      9.  Swans - The Daughter BringsThe Water
      10. The Spooky But Nice - Sun Goes
      11. Elk - Flowers
      12. The Howlies - Stunned
      13. King Khan & The Shrines - (How Can I Keep You) Outta Harms Way
      14. Kyuss - Hurricane
      15. Japandroids - Evils Sway
      16. Wolf Parade - You Are A Runner…
      17. Tom Waits - Make It Rain
      18. Reigning Sound - Shaw
      19. Mystics - Can't Be Happy
      20. The Rolling Stones - Confessin' The Blues
      21. The Rolling Stones - Empty Heart
      22. The Rolling Stones - 2120 South Michigan Avenue
      23. Light Bulb Alley - Pepper Spray

• September 4, 2012 4:58 PM CDT
    • Robble!  Robble rob rob Robble ... The Hamburglars need your help to Robble Up Riot Fest this year by winning The Battle Royale With Cheese.

We're in the finals of a voting contest that runs from Sept 4th (today) til' Sept 7th (friday) at Midnight (CST) and we'd appreciate all the votes & sharing (of this vote plea) that you can stand.  It's just a few clicks & you can use your facebook to sign into the do312 site that is running the contest.

http://do312.com/battleroyale/the-hamburglars  or  http://www.robblerobble.com takes you to the voting page.  You can vote once a day every day of the contest.

Robble!

• September 4, 2012 11:07 AM CDT
    • The Trip! Sept 2 Show.

Listen here: http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20120902-0030-t1346542200.mp3

The setlist:

JOHN MAYALL-  CRAWLING UP A HILL 
      THE LOVE ME NOTS-  WORK 
      THE LAST - SLAVEDRIVER
      THE ADICTS- DON'T EXPLOIT ME 
      THE HATE BOMBS - WORKIN' LIKE A DOG 
      NOBODY'S CHILDREN-  GOOD TIMES 
      COCK SPARRER-  WORKING 
      VENUS & THE RAZORBLADES- WORKIN' GIRL 

SQUAREHEADS-  WORK FOR THE MAN 
      DEAD KENNEDYS-  AT MY JOB 
      THE A BONES - DON'T NEED NO JOB 
      SLIM HARPO-  I NEED MONEY 

MILES DAVIS QUINTET-  THE THEME 
      SONNY ROLLINS - WHY DON'T I 

RETURN TO FOREVER-  HYMN OF THE 7TH GALAXY 
      JEFF BECK-  LED BOOTS 
      TIM RIES-  HONKY TONK WOMEN 
      JUDGE N JURY-  ROACHES 
      PORTER WAGONER-  RUBBER ROOM
      THE THINGS TO COME-  SWEET GINA 
      THE GEE - CEES- BUZZSAW TWIST 

FRANK GORSHIN-   THE RIDDLER 

• September 4, 2012 9:18 AM CDT
    • Hi my name is Joaquín, 38 years old, from Spain, I play guitar in several bands, one instrumental (Phil and the Spectras on myspace), and a beat band. Also I am starting a new band band with my brother, basically covers from Index, Plastic Cloud, Golden Dawn, Rising Storm etc...........

I collect guitars, I own 4 mosrites, 3 Rickenbackers, 1 Burns, 2 Fender (Lseries), 2 Guild, 1 Epiphone, 1 Hofner all 50s and 60s. Also vintage amps, 3 fender, 2 VOX, 1 Standel (25L15) and 1 Electro.

I have been into garage for the past 22 yeares