Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• May 21, 2012 9:01 AM CDT
    • I was just listening to a great Ramones tribute album done by a bunch of Japanese punk & garage groups called "Do You Remember Rock'n'Roll High School? Adios Joey Ramone" and I started thinking about other great tribute comps like that... A couple other favorites of mine include "Eternally Ours - 24 Bands Play the Saints" and "Attack From the Planet of the Devil Dogs" (a Devil Dogs tribute, natch). An older one that I sort of forgot about but is also pretty cool, obviously, is the Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs tribute called "Turban Renewal" on Norton and "Not So Pretty" (a tribute to the Pretty Things).

What are some other good ones?

• May 20, 2012 8:39 PM CDT
    • The Trip! May 20 Show! 

Delta 72 - Introduction Pt. 2
      Tommy Sands - The Worryin' Kind
      Big John Bates- Tainted Love ...
      Heavy Trash - You Can't Win
      The Action- Downtown Boy
      TV Killers - Sock it to Me
      The Vibrators- She's Bringing you Down
      Elton Motello - He's Crying
      The Normal - Warm Leatherette
      Ken Nordine- The Hunger is From
      The Biters - Oh Yeah
      The Viletones - Screaming Fist
      The Go- Invisible Friends
      The Hentchmen- Love
      Petra Haden- Armenia City in the Sky
      Dead Meadow- Sleepy Silver Door
      The Hazzards - Hey Joe
      The Gentrys - Brown Paper Sack
      David Bowie and the Lower 3rd - Can't Help Thinking About Me
      The Diodes- Shape of Things to Come
      The Answer- I'll Be In
      The Gruesomes- Ain't Got Nothing
      The Blue Squares- 2+2

• May 20, 2012 6:20 PM CDT
    • Perhaps you've been misreading it all along. Your "That's your logic not Rockin' Rod's" is so incorrect. I've been saying the exact opposite the whole time and Rod admitted that he believes there would not have been Texas psych (the best kind) without gospel. I think that's nonsense. If the first person to beat out a rhythm with a stick hadn't done it, someone else would have. Period! And to say the Beatles were the first to do any genre is also nonsense. They were just one of the first to achieve commercial success at it.

Time For Tiffin said:

Don't back out on my account man.

Surely discission/debate/banter are what it's all about,ain't it?

I have read the thread,infact i was the first to reply to it.I simply don't agree with ya statements.

To know what The Beatles changed ya have to know what dross the vast majority of English kids were listenin' too before em......Cliff Richard,Billy Fury,Joe Brown and worse.

Record companies had artists not bands.EMI took a chance and it paid off.The Beatles went huge over here and the kids went bonkers.Every other company went lookin' for their own Beatles on the back of that success.Even Decca took on another guitar band after statin' "guitar bands had had their day"....The Rolling Stones.

Love em or hate em,take away The Beatles and ya take away most of the other bands from the era.

Take away The Beatles success in the US and ya take away The British Invasion that followed.

Take away The Beatles and ya take away the most excitin' time in pop when every 15 year old lad wanted to pick up a guitar and play in a band.

It would have been a very lonely path for Cliff Richard and Billy Fury to walk down from 63 to mid sixties psych (and i'm not sure they'd have made it) without The Stones,Kinks,Animals,Yardbirds etc.And they wouldn't have been anywhere if The Beatles hadn't done it first.

The Beatles changes EVERYTHING.

own Beatles

RJFait said:

Alright, I'm going to have to back out of this now because people are just saying stupid shit that absolutely no basis in reality. If you're not going to bother reading a thread, you really shouldn't comment on it.
      Time For Tiffin said:

EH?

That's your logic not Rockin' Rod's.

They were also influenced by Buddy Holly.If he stated he was influenced by his grandad would that mean by "your logic" The Beatles were influenced by Buddy Hollys grandad!!!

DOG DIRT!!!

RJFait said:

Absolutey. Everybody said they were influenced by The Beatles (they were completey inundated with them, how could they not be). They all (including The Beatles) said Elvis influenced them. Elvis claimed gospel as his biggest influence. So by Rockin' Rod's logic, garage and/or psych music never could have happened without... gospel? (bullshit sneeze) There were enough influences bouncing all around that by removing any one of them, (even the damned Beatles) the end product would have no discernible difference. But if you took away all the numerous influence on any one band (including the damned Beatles) that one band would be very different.

Don said:

But isn't it true that all music cross pollinates? Who are my influences? Some I can name but most I cannot.

Stealing a song or an arrangement without giving credit is one thing, but the rest of this IMO is mostly sour grapes.

Don't want to have anyone influenced by your music? Play in your room with the door shut.

-don

• May 20, 2012 9:13 AM CDT
    • Don't back out on my account man.

Surely discission/debate/banter are what it's all about,ain't it?

I have read the thread,infact i was the first to reply to it.I simply don't agree with ya statements.

To know what The Beatles changed ya have to know what dross the vast majority of English kids were listenin' too before em......Cliff Richard,Billy Fury,Joe Brown and worse.

Record companies had artists not bands.EMI took a chance and it paid off.The Beatles went huge over here and the kids went bonkers.Every other company went lookin' for their own Beatles on the back of that success.Even Decca took on another guitar band after statin' "guitar bands had had their day"....The Rolling Stones.

Love em or hate em,take away The Beatles and ya take away most of the other bands from the era.

Take away The Beatles success in the US and ya take away The British Invasion that followed.

Take away The Beatles and ya take away the most excitin' time in pop when every 15 year old lad wanted to pick up a guitar and play in a band.

It would have been a very lonely path for Cliff Richard and Billy Fury to walk down from 63 to mid sixties psych (and i'm not sure they'd have made it) without The Stones,Kinks,Animals,Yardbirds etc.And they wouldn't have been anywhere if The Beatles hadn't done it first.

The Beatles changes EVERYTHING.

own Beatles

RJFait said:

Alright, I'm going to have to back out of this now because people are just saying stupid shit that absolutely no basis in reality. If you're not going to bother reading a thread, you really shouldn't comment on it.
      Time For Tiffin said:

EH?

They were also influenced by Buddy Holly.If he stated he was influenced by his grandad would that mean by "your logic" The Beatles were influenced by Buddy Hollys grandad!!!

DOG DIRT!!!

RJFait said:

Absolutey. Everybody said they were influenced by The Beatles (they were completey inundated with them, how could they not be). They all (including The Beatles) said Elvis influenced them. Elvis claimed gospel as his biggest influence. So by Rockin' Rod's logic, garage and/or psych music never could have happened without... gospel? (bullshit sneeze) There were enough influences bouncing all around that by removing any one of them, (even the damned Beatles) the end product would have no discernible difference. But if you took away all the numerous influence on any one band (including the damned Beatles) that one band would be very different.

Don said:

But isn't it true that all music cross pollinates? Who are my influences? Some I can name but most I cannot.

Stealing a song or an arrangement without giving credit is one thing, but the rest of this IMO is mostly sour grapes.

Don't want to have anyone influenced by your music? Play in your room with the door shut.

-don

• May 20, 2012 8:57 AM CDT
    • Glad to see that I wasn't quoted in the the "stupid shit." Just for the record, I thought everything that was said was worth considering, even if I didn't agree with some of it.

• May 19, 2012 9:08 PM CDT

• Alright, I'm going to have to back out of this now because people are just saying stupid shit that absolutely no basis in reality. If you're not going to bother reading a thread, you really shouldn't comment on it.
      Time For Tiffin said:

EH?

DOG DIRT!!!

RJFait said:

Don said:

-don

• May 19, 2012 5:01 PM CDT
    • I think the statement referring to me had more to do with psychedelic music not existing without Gospel.  The kind of psychedelia that Pink Floyd did could very well exist without Gospel music but I don't think anything out of Texas WOULD.  Take away Soul music and you really don't have a Thirteenth Floor Elevators getting together and creating what they did.  Pretty much, I think all sorts of Church music has to exist including that of the middle ages even for the Swinging London psych scene.

Time For Tiffin said:

EH?

DOG DIRT!!!

RJFait said:

Don said:

-don

• May 19, 2012 3:05 PM CDT
    • Yep, and also, I Like It Like That.

matthew rosedon said:

As recorded by Gerry & the Pacemakers?

G. Wood said:

I like it.

Don said:

"Yeah, but do you like it?"  :D

-don

• May 19, 2012 2:37 PM CDT
    • As recorded by Gerry & the Pacemakers?

G. Wood said:

I like it.

Don said:

-don

• May 19, 2012 11:53 AM CDT
    • I like it.

Don said:

-don

• May 20, 2012 3:20 PM CDT
    • Download or stream the entire May 18 show right here.

Uptight, Tonight – Flash & the Memphis Casuals
      Uptight, Good Man – Laura Lee
      Kind of Uptight – Gentleman Jesse
      Uptight – Tyler Keith & the Preacher’s Kids

Pop-Eye-Stroll – The Mar-Keys
      Let’s Dance – The Excels
      Drowning in Whiskey – The Leg Hounds
      Stop – The Booby Traps
      Take it Off – The Genteels
      Wowsville, Pt. 1 – Big Bob Taylor

Girl With the Exploding Dress – The Electric Mess
      Shame on You – The Smoggers
      It’s Better Girl – The Phantom Keys
      All Night Long – The Frowning Clouds
      Shoes – Troll Controll

Cool Breeze – Bloodshot Bill
      My Uncle Used to Love Me But She Died – Uncle Butcher
      Love is My Business - Tav Falco & The Unapproachable Panther Burns
      Fire Engine – Thee Dirtybeats

Local Lunchbox
      Haunted Blues – Midwest Beat
      Guitarantula – The Exotics
      White Cap Sunrise – The Revomatics
      Turkatron – The Hussy

Chicken Voodoo Blues – The Creeping Ivies
      Bad She Gone Voodoo – Chief Fuzzer
      I Wanna Kill Your Man – Harmonica Lewinski
      Consumption Cowboy – La Bastard

Until You’re Dead – Outer Minds
      Barbacoa – Guantanamo Baywatch
      Paradise Heights – Natural Child
      Straight Into The Sun – El Pathos

It’s Gonna Be Allright – Mary’s Kids
      Start Listening – The Meltdowns
      Tie Me Up – Spanking Charlene

Horse-Driven Ambulance – Million Sellers
      Grow Your Own – Red Jacket Mine
      Man of the World – Alejandro Escovedo
      Pins & Needles – Trapper Schoepp & the Shades
      San Francisco Girls – Roy Loney & the Phantom Movers

Sooner or Later – Hot Knives
      One More Time – The Missing Links
      Sunflower – Paul Messis & Jessica Winter
      I’ll Go Too – The Chefs

Sarah’s Not Falling in Love – The Plunderers
      If Your Baby Was My Boss – The Boss Mustangs
      Broken Rule – Thee Exciters
      You Said – The Jackets

Crying All By Myself – Wendy Rene
      Got Nobody to Love – Terry Timmons
      You Told a Lie – Barrence Whitfield & The Savages
      Magic City Stomp – Lee Bains III & the Glory Fires
      Leavin’ This Town – Crankshaft & the Gear Grinders

• May 20, 2012 2:46 PM CDT
    • In Vancouver we have plenty o' fuzz kicking out the jams, splintered among the various cliques that we're so famous for:

The Fiends: carrying on with a female vocalist

Vicious Cycles: motorcycles n hot rods

Los Furios: arguably the best ska band in the PNW

Dead Ghosts: doing the current trend of reverb-drenched, washed-out indecipherable noise

East Van Playboys: play the classics

The Living Deadbeats: doing our own thang

D.B. Buxton: channeling Roky and JB together in a parallel universe

The Tranzmitors: powerpoppin' like it's 1979

The Hathaways

... and a few more that I can't think of right now.

• May 20, 2012 2:43 PM CDT
    • Hi Winston,

sorry for the delay, family stuff as well! Can't quite remember which link, I have a Mac so it might be different one anyway. As for the band, we don't gig often, a few times a year, and tend to make it weekend away gigs, which are more enjoyable. Playing Liverpool soon at the Go Go cage, which is normally a great gig. Sounds a nice combination the jag and reverb tank, not sure I could sneak that past the missus! bye for now Pete

• May 20, 2012 12:37 PM CDT
    • Playlist 05/19/12

Sham 69 Family Life
      The Vibrators Dragnet
      Generation X Night of the Cadillacs
      Wire Two People In A Room
      Joey Ramone What Did I Do To Deserve You?
      99ers Practical Girl
      Suzy Chunk Tripwire
      Baby Woodrose Down to the Bottom
      Mudhoney Running Loaded
      Weirdos Life of Crime
      Channel 3 I'll Take My Chances
      Angry Samoans Time Will Come Today
      Reason to Believe Fr I Fl
      Caroline and the Treats Tonight
      Hafensabine Do the Karl Heinz
      Kickstart Harmonica
      The Nomads Miles Away
      Pins of Light Losing Sleep
      Sonic Avenues Givin' Up On You
      Cheap Time Another Time
      Mind Spiders On The Radio
      Wild Evel and the Trashbones Why Can't We Be Like
      Angry Dead Pirates I Don't Mind
      The Nevermores Lilly's 11th
      Foreign Characters There They Go
      Mark Lanegan Band Quiver Syndrome
      The Movements Deserted Town
      Bloody Hollies Good Night Sleep Tight

• May 20, 2012 11:15 AM CDT
    • Its been a long time since I had to deal with these slugs, but if anything it seems that over time they have simply refined their dastardly game.

Con artists always work by reading the weaknesses of their intended target.  A rich widow yearning for love has nothing on a bunch of young and inexperienced musicians yearning for an audience -- and their big break for the 'big time.' 

None of this is new. The hard thing is avoiding becoming cynical. There are good guys out there. Just keep your eyes and ears open and always remember to say your prayers at night. :)

-don

• May 20, 2012 9:07 AM CDT
    • Talent agent sounds like an oxymoron to me.....only agents i dig are the secret variety...ie Maxwell Smart and Agent 86.

But seriously, Kopper hit the nail on the head.

• May 20, 2012 6:06 AM CDT
    • Sounds like bullshit, what he's got on his site.

• May 20, 2012 5:44 AM CDT
    • Oh man, couple a good ones there, hahaha!

RJFait said:

Speaking of Madness, there was also "the naziest sound around." Let's pretend they weren't on Two Tone Records and that 'naziest' is even a real word.

John Battles said:

The Dicks , tho' I never cared for 'em much , were anything but racist. Tho' I did hear some White Power music fans say The Dicks were White Power because they wore Klan robes , which was a joke , of course. Don't think the KKK would've been to thrilled to have a Gay Cross - dresser as a supporter. I did'nt know how to bring it up , but there are , of course , several songs that SOUND like they contain the "N" WORD. "Good Guys Don't Wear White" by The Standells. My friend who was in HS when that  came out said EVERYONE thought  they said that...I thought "In The Middle of The Night" by MADNESS WAS ABOUT A NATIONAL FRONT - TYPE , BUT, LATER REALIZED HE WAS SAYING " Nicker(s)" , something we don't say in the states , meaning underwear....It's an "Arnold Layne" type story.HA HA HA.

RJFait said:

This is funny. Other that "don't need a cure" I can't imagine anyone actually thinking any of these are the correct lyrics. I had a friend who thought "Kind of a Drag" was an advert for ginger ale. "Canada Dry, when your baby don't love you." I've known quite a few people who that The Dicks were racist because they heard one letter different in "I hate cops, they're all fucking piggers." The first time I saw "The Wall" I misheard "Digger" and thought, "What a horrible name for a dog... and it's not even black."

• May 20, 2012 12:46 AM CDT
    • Speaking of Madness, there was also "the naziest sound around." Let's pretend they weren't on Two Tone Records and that 'naziest' is even a real word.

John Battles said:

The Dicks , tho' I never cared for 'em much , were anything but racist. Tho' I did hear some White Power music fans say The Dicks were White Power because they wore Klan robes , which was a joke , of course. Don't think the KKK would've been to thrilled to have a Gay Cross - dresser as a supporter. I did'nt know how to bring it up , but there are , of course , several songs that SOUND like they contain the "N" WORD. "Good Guys Don't Wear White" by The Standells. My friend who was in HS when that  came out said EVERYONE thought  they said that...I thought "In The Middle of The Night" by MADNESS WAS ABOUT A NATIONAL FRONT - TYPE , BUT, LATER REALIZED HE WAS SAYING " Nicker(s)" , something we don't say in the states , meaning underwear....It's an "Arnold Layne" type story.HA HA HA.

RJFait said:

This is funny. Other that "don't need a cure" I can't imagine anyone actually thinking any of these are the correct lyrics. I had a friend who thought "Kind of a Drag" was an advert for ginger ale. "Canada Dry, when your baby don't love you." I've known quite a few people who that The Dicks were racist because they heard one letter different in "I hate cops, they're all fucking piggers." The first time I saw "The Wall" I misheard "Digger" and thought, "What a horrible name for a dog... and it's not even black."

• May 19, 2012 11:57 PM CDT
    • The Dicks , tho' I never cared for 'em much , were anything but racist. Tho' I did hear some White Power music fans say The Dicks were White Power because they wore Klan robes , which was a joke , of course. Don't think the KKK would've been to thrilled to have a Gay Cross - dresser as a supporter. I did'nt know how to bring it up , but there are , of course , several songs that SOUND like they contain the "N" WORD. "Good Guys Don't Wear White" by The Standells. My friend who was in HS when that  came out said EVERYONE thought  they said that...I thought "In The Middle of The Night" by MADNESS WAS ABOUT A NATIONAL FRONT - TYPE , BUT, LATER REALIZED HE WAS SAYING " Nicker(s)" , something we don't say in the states , meaning underwear....It's an "Arnold Layne" type story.HA HA HA.

RJFait said:

• May 20, 2012 12:40 AM CDT
    • I like Girlschool , if that's who was on the (Since removed) video. Not everything they've done. I would'nt put them in a category remotely resembling Black Flag , and even their status as a "Metal" band is largely circumstantial. When they came out , they stood on the fringes of The New Wave of British Heavy Metal movement , and their association with Motorhead cemented their "Metal" status. To me , it's melodic Hard Rock (Not all Hard Rock is HeavyMetal ,as people think of it , today....), influenced by Punk , but not in a very obvious way , maybe (Come on , tho' , those are'nt Punk chords on "Hit and Run"?).....

Black Flag , liked 'em to a point. Never understood how they got to become THEE band in the 80's . I liked the pre - Rollins stuff , too , BUT , THAT WAS IT , EXCEPT FOR "T.V.Party". Their only record I ever bought , for a dollar , and still own , is the "Jealous Again" EP. Saw Rollins band , horrible. They could PLAY , BUT THEY WERE'NT TOO FAR REMOVED , TO THESE EARS , FROM GRUNGE ROCK. If you don't like Jam Bands , avoid Greg Ginn's current outfit. I did'nt expect  them to be Punk.  I'd hoped , by ther name , they'd be Country.

Stretching out one note for five minutes is only so interesting.

I met Henry , by chance , at a 7-11 (imagine.) . He was actually very cool. Did'nt care if I was a fan or not. This WAS across the street from Wrigley Field , maybe that's why he seemed so glad to see me.

• May 20, 2012 12:21 AM CDT
    • That's great. This was many , many years ago ,like , more than 25 years , that I'd read Lemmy saying he also saw The Beatles in Hamburg. It's not improbable , I guess....We yanks are not so vain that we don't have to be reminded you could fit England and Germany in Texas and have room for a few tax shelters.

• May 19, 2012 11:41 PM CDT
    • I like the stones music better...

Here is the actual excerpt from Lemmy's bio book.  

And I can vouch that the softest feller in Liverpool is prolly gonna split the melon of most Londoners (except in east London)

• May 19, 2012 11:22 PM CDT
    • I heard a fast, rough demo of Queen's "We Will Rock You" about a dozen years ago... the first few notes fooled me into thinking I was about to hear the Weirdos epic "It Means Nothing" (before ya troll that comment, give it a listen on my page) 
http://garagepunk.ning.com/profile/ElKabong

I almost shat my britches, thinking I was gonna hear a lost Weirdos demo on a major FM station?!

As you can hear...the intro guitar is nearly a dead nuts match to the Weirdos tune:

Anyhow, it is a smoking cool tune and tho rough...is a rock and roll gem.  I had to run it down.  Took me about three years to find it on a giveaway CD from the UK Sun newspaper 

This is what it looks like: 
http://www.discogs.com/Queen-We-Will-Rock-You/release/2366920

• May 19, 2012 11:06 PM CDT
    • Bobo!

Bobby said:

Stiv Bators