Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• May 17, 2012 8:48 AM CDT
    • ^the only thing I try and gather out it is those old timers do not neccessarily own the rights to their songs but perhaps a label that Orchard deals with does.  Look at all the old performers that don't see a dime anymore.  But the label receives it.

I noticed that garage masters label have a handful of fuzztones songs included on their comps.  I don't see them getting away with that unless Orchard is somehow tied to Italy Gone Down label or whatever they are working with now or in the past.

Is this any different than all the other comps that exist- BFTG, GP Unknowns, etc, etc.  NO way these compilationers are tracking down lead artists from teen bands long disbanded to pay royalties for inclusion on a comp.  If so, that is a great article that should be written - what it takes to make a garage punk compilation.

So in the end, I don't think there is anything stopping us from dong what garage masters label did as long as we find the consortium like orchard; browse a list and start compiling.  Rumors of a BFTG volume 9 - I wonder how they will do it?

• May 16, 2012 9:14 PM CDT
    • I'm still confused by this whole thing. What's stopping you or me from making our own label, putting together a bunch of goofy compilations of tracks from other albums (without first getting the permission of the artists or songwriters, mind you), whip up a cover, and distribute them through The Orchard (and therefore make money from the sale of 'em on those sites)? Am I missing something here? I hope I am... cuz this just doesn't seem right.

trashman said:

nice work kopper.  I kept seeing The Orchard show up but thought it was one of the comp titles.  Hope someone tells Bob Taylor.

I see they feature the Raveonettes, Nancy Sinatra, Ryan Adams, Coldplay, Tommy Waits and hosts of others thru labels.

They include the Garage Masters Label in their database - search our catalog feature here

http://www.theorchard.com/music

• May 16, 2012 4:48 PM CDT
    • nice work kopper.  I kept seeing The Orchard show up but thought it was one of the comp titles.  Hope someone tells Bob Taylor.

I see they feature the Raveonettes, Nancy Sinatra, Ryan Adams, Coldplay, Tommy Waits and hosts of others thru labels.

They include the Garage Masters Label in their database - search our catalog feature here

http://www.theorchard.com/music

• May 16, 2012 4:41 PM CDT
    • I agree. They definitely look like bootlegs. That said, I did some digging and saw (on eMusic) that whomever is behind this label is using The Orchard for their digital distribution. I wasn't that familiar with The Orchard until I looked them up on Google and saw that they have a connection with IODA, and the site does say that they pay out royalties. Click here. So maybe anyone can just create a label like "Garage Masters" and start putting together comps like these and sell them as long as the distributor (in this case, The Orchard) handles royalty collection? That seems very odd to me...

• May 16, 2012 4:10 PM CDT
    • Noticed this in the comment section on Amazon:

I was just told about the rather cool fact that some dude is actually trying to SELL my guitar work from almost 50 years ago! I'm Bob Taylor, the lead guitar player, arranger and writer of the cuts done by The Lancers, which actually includes the very FIRST cut, "Dr. Casey Twist," wrongly attributed to some guys called The Cornells! The sax player you hear is Gene Linfors, a doctor on the East Coast, and the rest of the guys are all alive and kicking and mostly still making music all around the country. Would you believe the self-titled album these three tunes were ripped from was cut and pressed as an LP in 1961 in the Panama Canal Zone? No kidding!

I LOVE the fact that our 50 year old music is magically out there on the net, but I wonder about the legality of trying to make a buck on somebody ELSE'S work and creative product.

Maybe the supposed "publisher/copyright holder" of THIS work product will inform us all about this question as HE sees it...

• May 17, 2012 7:36 AM CDT
    • Funhouse is even Punk meets Jazz....Anyway fuck all those terms,it's all r-n-r !;)

doornail said:

what about garage punk. love that term!!!  

Ghislaine said:

Funhouse isnt 'garage'.It's Punk.

• May 17, 2012 3:23 AM CDT
    • I don't believe these three have been mentioned

NOBUNNY - Love Visions

Oblivians - Popular Favorites

The Missing Links - The Missing Links

And so on, too hard to pick just one. 

• May 17, 2012 6:50 AM CDT
    • Good idea starting this thread Bazza. I'm just learning my way around this site trying to figure out the best way to introduce myself and say "hi."

I've been playing guitar since the early sixties. Was part of 'the scene' back then but sort of dropped out for a time.  My story, if anyone is interested, was put together by Mike Dugo about a year ago (found here http://www.60sgaragebands.com/abstracts.html and here http://www.60sgaragebands.com/tiltonsmarket.html )  In any case I never stopped playing and writing; I just changed my focus and did it for myself, my family and a few friends.

Recent events with my `60s band The Abstracts (including the recent release of an album -- see here http://store03.prostores.com/servlet/uglythings/the-157/ABSTRACTS--... ) has reawakened me I guess -- made me aware that I am hardly alone in my musical tastes! And it is that, probably more than anything, that brought me here!

I'm looking forward to getting to "know" you folks here.  Thanks for listening. :)

• May 17, 2012 5:52 AM CDT
    • I've been searching all over for a comp I had but can't remember the name of. Does anyone remember a female fronted garage revival band called The Monarchs with a song called "Hit That Bitch"?

• May 17, 2012 2:57 AM CDT
    • Did he ever say it as harsh as that? I know he did kinda say what you said in that film but that sounds a bit of an unfair thing to say about a fellow musician. It's often interesting to hear about a band's background but I often wonder if it really makes any difference to the quality or style of music.

I'm definitely more on the Stones side.

Dana V. Hatch said:

the Stones pampered upper middle class prats.

• May 17, 2012 2:22 AM CDT
    • The Who!

• May 17, 2012 12:24 AM CDT
    • It's funny that you ask this. I've always said, there are 2 kinds of people, Beatles and Stones, and they don't mix well. I am definitely Stones, my wife is Beatles. If only I'd asked 11 years ago...

• May 16, 2012 5:51 PM CDT
    • That's interesting , because Lemmy is a huge Beatles fan , and claimed he used to see them play in Hamburg all the time. It's possible , I would NEVER dispute Lemmy (Who's a very nice guy , BTW.), but he has told stories , like witnessing the Allied intervention of Germany , in 1945 , when he would have still been an infant . That said , he's always marvelled at how tuff The Beatles were , at least , back when.  When I was in Jr. High , High School , before I got into Rockabilly and Garage in earnest , The Beatles and Stones were running neck and neck , for me . Later , The Stones took hold. I guess , because they seemed a LOT more influential on the stuff I like , now , than The Beatles - Who are , of course , totally influential , most people have heard the bulk of their back catalogue over and over, whereas , The Stones , and Elvis , too , for that matter , have a shitload of great songs that only the most hardened geeks , like myself , even know. A Stones tribute band has about 25 songs they can get away with playing , but  , if a Beatles tribute band wants to focus on one era , OR go across the board , it's still P.C.  MY EARLIEST MEMORIES OF THE BEATLES GO BACK TO 1968. I'm sure I heard The Rolling Stones , then , too , but , was'nt conscious of them until the early 70's.

I like some Pop  all right , but , generally , I go in for a grittier sound. The Stones even had some great Pop songs , too , but , you'd have to be a pretty big fan to know more than a few of them .

Dana V. Hatch said:

Lemmy pointed out that the story is the Beatles were goody goody and the Stones were tough but the opposite was true, Beatles tough determined working class lads, the Stones pampered upper middle class prats. Still I prefer the Stones' overt sex drugs and rock and roll stance over the Beatles' subtler subversion but I love both bands like my own food.

• May 16, 2012 4:39 PM CDT
    • Totally,Richards talks about it in his book,that the Beatles first tour was pure Sex,Sex,Sex.But the Stones win with my too.

• May 17, 2012 1:02 AM CDT
    • The Fabulous Wailers, The Leaves, The 13th Floor Elevators and The Seeds would have been some heavy shit with or without the Beatles. Would the Beatles have been nearly as heavy without them? I find that very doubtful. The Beatles were a pop band covering American R&B when these bands were creating a genre. Just my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth.

matthew rosedon said:

Don't mean to upset anyone but I do wonder about the mental state of anyone who claims not to like the Beatles.  Apart from everything else they contributed to making the world a better place, without them I doubt very much whether this site would exist.  THEY CHANGED EVERYTHING.

• May 17, 2012 12:30 AM CDT
    • I don't hate the Beatles, I just think the bulk of their work was gutless pop. At some point in the middle they started getting better drugs or something and put out a few good records. Then, they went right back to gutless pop.

• May 17, 2012 12:12 AM CDT
    • Yes, both pushing 70, and the last time I saw Charlie he was practically dying from the flu and still performed with more energy and rocked harder than just about any other punk singer I've seen of any age. Iggy Pop is 25 years older than I am and has twice the energy I had at my "peak".

Mike said:

Charlie Harper

Lemmy

Not as old as some of the other's mentioned, but I think they are both pushing 70.

• May 16, 2012 11:56 PM CDT
    • This week not I filled in for the Blues/Country show Some Folks Get The Blues followed by my usual program Revoltuion Rock.  I played music from The Phantom, Ty Segall & White Fence, Light Bulb Alley, Lost Patrol, The Damned, The Cramps, Johnny Cash and More. 

Download Revolution Blues (Some Folks Get The Blues Fill In) podcast here: http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/536-Some_Folks_Get_The_Blues-2012...

Download Revolution Rock podcast here:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20120515-1030-...

Check out my blog post on The Phantom here:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2012/05/rockabilly-psychosis-phantom-sho...

Revolution Blues Play List:

1.  Lee Hazelwood – Run Boy Run

2.  Dan Sartain – I Don't Want To Go To The Party

3.  Dan Sartain - Love Is Crimosn

4.  James OL & The Villains – Late Night Drive (Demo)

5.  Johnny West – The Son Is A Red Ball Of Lies Tonight

6.  The Lonesome Weekends - Wheels

7.  Andre Williams & The Sadies - One Eyed Jack

8.  Magnificent Bastards – White Noize

9.  Johnny Cash – I Like The 309

10. Diamond Rugs – Out On My Own

11. John Mayal’s Bluesbreakers – Double Crossing Time

12. The Yardbirds – Psycho Daises

13. Tay Falco’s Panther Burns – Dateless Night

14. Jamie Coe – How Low Is Low

15. The Phantom – Tiger

16. Permanent Collection – It’s Alright

17. Ty Segall & White Fence – I Am Not A Game

18. The Spooky But Nice – Through The Night

19. Lost Patrol – You Just Care About Looks

20. Pointed Sticks – All That Matters (Stiff Sessions Version)

21. Hot Nasties – Lookin’ 4 U (Live)

22. The Meteors – Radioactive Kid

23. Visions – The Ghost

24. The Ride Theory – Devil In My Heart

Revolution Rock Play List:

25. The Phantom – Love Me

26. The Cramps – Mystery Plane

27. Modernettes – Won’t Have To Worry

28. The Black Angels – I’d Rather Be Lonely

29. The Kinks – Naggin’ Woman

30. The Gruesomes – Three Men One Coffin (Live)

31. Ramblin’ Ambassadors – Standoff At Calf Rrobe Bridge

32. The Space Plan – Trail The Rails 

33. The Features – City Scenes

34. The Carbonas – Hate You

35. Actual Water – Pencil Legged

36. The Cigarettes – All They Want Is Your Money

37. The Laughing Clowns – Laughing Clowns

38. Rotten Tropics – Nightmare Index

39. The Strokes – Life Is Simple In The Moonlight

40. Light Bulb Alley – Tonight

41. Seven Story Redhead - There's A Time To Get Down

42. The Locusts Have No King - Come One, Come All

43. Dirty Pretty Things - Plasttk Hearts

44. The Damned – She’s So Messed Up (Live)

45. Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers – London Boys

46. Xena Zerox - Seconds

47. Jam – Billy Hunt

48. The Adverts - Safety In Numbers

49. True Lovers – Love and Affection

• May 16, 2012 7:56 PM CDT
    • I tried and got on. here is the link again. www.baconrock.com.  remember it is not a very progressive station, but mine is cool.  later bro, doornail

• May 16, 2012 6:22 PM CDT
    • Sorry, the problem was on my end. Dot where there should have been a dash. It's all fixed up now.

http://radiofreak-out.com

Joanie Lindstrom said:

I'm not able to connect to that web site.  Problem on my end or yours?

• May 16, 2012 6:49 PM CDT
    • I would hardly call Jon Varvatos "posh."  Yes, it is expensive, but I would still rather see the spot put to that use than to see another corporate franchise in that same spot.  However, I understand where you're coming from.

Chris Henniker said:

I heard about this on 6Music yesterday. It's a good idea to keep it's memory alive, especially with the club's legacy being as vast as it is, it could be forgotten about. That said, it feels like it's just a cynical cash-in on the name. It could be an excuse to put on manufactured bands or indie landfill.

When I wrote for a Greenwich based magazine, my publisher and some mutual friends asked me if I was interested in going to a rave. "Isn't that a bit late 1980's?", I asked. Jamie, who would become the bass player for Klaxons chipped in: "It's a revival." I even wonder whether the ravers have ended up like the Teddy boys, just another nostalgia movement. Even Jamie said "new rave" was a joke. It could go the same way with CBGB, just a nostalgia movement or a joke.

Look at the Hacienda in Manchester, it closed due to problems with organised crime and is now a posh block of flats. No different to CBGB being supplanted by a posh boutique, which means the these venues (IN my opinion) are key to driving gentrification. IN New Cross, There is a pub called The Montague Arms, where I used to drink, which closed recently. A fairly well known music venue with some really awesome decor, such as stuffed deer heads, and it's sad to see it go.  I glimpsed a local paper to see that it closed. It's sad, but  as Johnny Thunders said: "You Can't put your arms around a memory."

• May 16, 2012 4:50 PM CDT
    • I heard about this on 6Music yesterday. It's a good idea to keep it's memory alive, especially with the club's legacy being as vast as it is, it could be forgotten about. That said, it feels like it's just a cynical cash-in on the name. It could be an excuse to put on manufactured bands or indie landfill.

When I wrote for a Greenwich based magazine, my publisher and some mutual friends asked me if I was interested in going to a rave. "Isn't that a bit late 1980's?", I asked. Jamie, who would become the bass player for Klaxons chipped in: "It's a revival." I even wonder whether the ravers have ended up like the Teddy boys, just another nostalgia movement. Even Jamie said "new rave" was a joke. It could go the same way with CBGB, just a nostalgia movement or a joke.

Look at the Hacienda in Manchester, it closed due to problems with organised crime and is now a posh block of flats. No different to CBGB being supplanted by a posh boutique, which means the these venues (IN my opinion) are key to driving gentrification. IN New Cross, There is a pub called The Montague Arms, where I used to drink, which closed recently. A fairly well known music venue with some really awesome decor, such as stuffed deer heads, and it's sad to see it go.  I glimpsed a local paper to see that it closed. It's sad, but  as Johnny Thunders said: "You Can't put your arms around a memory."

• May 16, 2012 5:34 PM CDT
    • May 15th playlist is up!

Listen here:

www.mediazoic.com/jambone-scuzz

Whitecaps - The Mummies

American Wedding - Gogol Bordello

Modern Love - David Bowie

Nightmares - Jay Reatard

Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie - Black Flag

Billion Dollar Babies - Alice Cooper

Thrash Unreal - Against Me

Coming Home - TNG

All The Young Dudes - Mott the Hoople

Rocket - The Sinisters

Volcano (Live) - The Meteopathics

U N UR FRNDS - HORSEBEAR

Night Danger - Miesha and the Spanks

C.C. - The Tramadols

I Hate the World - Take Drugs

Rat Stomp - The Jitters

Last Caress - The Misfits

Nanny Cam - Real Cassingles

Down on the Street - The Stooges

Waltz Me Dirty - Sluts on 45

• May 16, 2012 4:55 PM CDT
    • Hey Andras, thanks for commenting man, and I'm glad you dig the site.  Us fans of the oddballs are scattered all over but my hope is to bring us together through the site.  The Kapas are cool, and still sorta affordable.  The Minstrel was one of Kapa's more rare offerings, and had unique pickups for the Kapa line of guitars.  Good taste man!!  And I checked out your music, what fuzz are you using?  Mosrite fuzz box?