Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• May 16, 2012 4:02 PM CDT
    • I have always been confused about this - I feel that in many instances the songwriters/artists do not own the rights to their songs.  So maybe the only deal that must be reached is with the producing companies who might own the rights.  Same goes for all the comps.  then the comp creators will chase down the blog sites on anyone who posts the recordings.

I would expect some level of legitimacy given the breadth of places you can buy the albums under that label.

but I hope someone with some real insight replies to the entire comp business.

• May 16, 2012 3:18 PM CDT
    • i guess i haven't been paying much attention lately but apparently there's a bunch of digital releases on sites like Amazon.com and eMusic.com that sure look like bootlegs to me. case in point: check out the releases by "Garage Masters Records":

on eMusic

on Rdio

has anyone heard of Garage Masters before? i mean, c'mon, that "Halloween Garage Rock" comp has FIFTY-FIVE songs on it. "Roots of the Cramps" has 56! is any of this legit? here it is on Amazon, too. wtf?

maybe i'm wrong....maybe it's a legit label and royalties are being paid out to the songwriters/artists, but it sure does look shady to me.

• May 16, 2012 4:01 PM CDT
    • Lemmy pointed out that the story is the Beatles were goody goody and the Stones were tough but the opposite was true, Beatles tough determined working class lads, the Stones pampered upper middle class prats. Still I prefer the Stones' overt sex drugs and rock and roll stance over the Beatles' subtler subversion but I love both bands like my own food.

• May 16, 2012 2:42 PM CDT
    • kinda funny age ole question

• May 16, 2012 3:55 PM CDT
    • I think of Hound Dog Taylor first, in his late 60's he was rocking harder than ever on Beware of the Dog! I'm 48 and I'll stop only when I'm dead or incapacitated. I think this question is the opposite of the pertinent question today. Step up yr game, you whippersnappers!

• May 16, 2012 11:56 AM CDT
    • Hey Franco,

I too am crazy for trashy electric guitars from the 1960s.  For me, it's not just their unconventional sound, it's the way their primitive electronics produce so many unexpected glitches, pops and squeals -- sublime!

In THEE DIRTYBEATS, we embrace old electrics for exactly these reasons:  typically, I am skittering leads across the top of Jamie's buzzing vintage Mosrite using a '67 KAPA Minstrel teardrop (see pic below).  The contrast of odd guitar sounds works well, and the random bizarre feedback effects, pings, and shrieks just add to the fun.

Thanks for a great website.  So much for my afternoon -- will be on it for hours...

Best,

Andras

THEE DIRTYBEATS maximum vintage garage
      http://theedirtybeats.bandcamp.com

• May 15, 2012 8:06 PM CDT
    • Here's some of the stuff we do, check it:

We do pedal demos like this BeeBaa Fuzz

We do weirdo guitar demos like this Teisco

And I write some far out articles about some interesting guitars like this Silvertone

And get this, it's all free!!  I hate guitar magazines, and I hate pay guitar sites, and I hate ad covered guitar review webpages!  And you know, I'm not a hateful person!  I just get sick of hype and would rather talk about guitars that you could buy in a grocery store during the 1960s, mostly forgotten instruments that are often scoffed at by bourgeois turds.  If you can relate, then stop on over, and I'll be posting my stuff on the Hideout pages too (for you lazy sods).

• May 15, 2012 6:12 PM CDT
    • I know Kopper and some folks are always encouraging us members to be more active, so I figured I'd include a link to my blog page called "Drowning in Guitars."  I've been playing cheap, weird guitars since the late 80s, and I just love their quirks and strangenesses (I may have just made up a new word).  I originally started the blog to help out two friends who were basically starving because of the bad economy, but since then the page has grown in all sorts of weird ways, and I was just invited for a visit to Japan!!!  Friggin' nuts!!  

Anyway, I know a bunch of you old and young punchers enjoy these cheapies too, so check out the site, and I'll be doing my best to contribute to the hangout!!  Cheers!

• May 16, 2012 10:57 AM CDT
    • Alice's bit is great in "Dark Shadows" . Good non - suck 70's soundtrack (OK , SOME OF IT SUCKS.). CHRISTOPHER LEE HAS A SHORT CAMEO , AND THE LATE JONATHAN FRID , WELL , BLINK AND YOU'LL MISS HIM.

John Battles said:

Boy , there's almost never been bad casting FOR Renfield , Dwight Frye , Klaus Kinski , and now , Tom Waits......Elvira (Cassandra Peterson) is on the cover of his "Small Change " (OR IS IT "LOOSE cHANGE"...And , I got the good wordie that Alice Cooper has a cameo in "Dark Shadows , doing "The Ballad of Dwight Frye"...

The Pulsebeats said:

Another one of ol' Tom

• May 16, 2012 8:35 AM CDT
    • hey Brotha, I would dig bein' a DJ on your station. I have a show now, but the atation is way too square for me, you dig.  My show is Kustom City Sounds, check it out Friday nights on www.baconrock.com  7 -11 p.m. (cst) .  Let me know what you think.  check out my page on here and my blog for playlists.  later, doornail

• May 16, 2012 6:11 AM CDT
    • I'm not able to connect to that web site.  Problem on my end or yours?

• May 15, 2012 10:09 PM CDT
    • I've recently started an internet radio station with a little over 3,000 punk rock tracks, many from rare 7"s. I'm looking to recruit some live DJs. I'm mostly looking for pre 1985 but I don't discount some newer bands like Nashville Pussy, The Hellacopters, or any garage revival stuff. Also, pushing your local punk scene is always a good idea. If interested, you can message me here or email rjfait@radiofreak-out.com

http://radiofreak-out.com

• May 16, 2012 8:32 AM CDT
    • Jack Russell and the Terrors

• May 16, 2012 7:05 AM CDT
    • OK I like this one best of all. And it has artwork!

Robert J. Fait said:

One of the favorite names I've come up with was "The Groucho Marxists". I even created some artwork. I spent too long thinking about it and someone else ended up using it. I should see if they want to buy my graphics.

• May 16, 2012 5:25 AM CDT
    • One of the favorite names I've come up with was "The Groucho Marxists". I even created some artwork. I spent too long thinking about it and someone else ended up using it. I should see if they want to buy my graphics.

• May 16, 2012 5:21 AM CDT
    • I used to have a notebook filled with potential band names. It looks like maybe you've got one too.

kopper said:

Mega Balls

Rock Vomit

The Slutbots

Beauty Clot

Dungeon of Horrors

Undecided Voters

Cold Case Posse

The Fucking Assholes

Reaching Out to Republicans

The Retweets

Invasive Species

North Carolina Sewer Monsters

• May 16, 2012 6:17 AM CDT
    • thanks John!!

John Carlucci said:

@ The Wardens. I found these straps at the Guitar center that have a locking mechanism built in so you don't need to pull out the starp buttons and add straplocks.  They're made by planet waves.

• May 16, 2012 5:38 AM CDT
    • There's some really nice gear here. So many times I've thought, "I should have snapped a pic before losing that to the pawnshop".

• May 16, 2012 1:30 AM CDT
    • More coming!

IDON MINE said:

Yup, thanks for that.

• May 15, 2012 8:33 PM CDT
    • All i have is the Gift Of Knowledge disc with them thar ne'er do wells and judy and the loadies. I know a girl named Kendrak had a Ne'er Do Wells site for a while. If you can find it there might be some links there.

Ray Bentos said:

any links for ne'er do wells? had a tape years ago that i lost and have never been able to find anything since

Steve said:

I'm Steve currently living in Culver City. I started playing music in 7th (1976 or so) grade and never got over it. Most recently I played in a two man combo in Oly, WA with Matt Murillo from the Houston TX based Ka-nives and Jr. Varsity. In Oakland, CA the Beatcombers with Ron Silva from The Crawdaddys and countless other bands. Not so current I played in the Hi-Fives with John and Chris from the Ne'er Do Wells and what not.

In '97 I worked for Revolver, USA Music Distribution and one of the labels we distributed was Crypt. That's when my record collection grew and listed toward what it has become today.

But now I gotta go make dinner for my kids. 

• May 15, 2012 7:16 PM CDT
    • any links for ne'er do wells? had a tape years ago that i lost and have never been able to find anything since

Steve said:

I'm Steve currently living in Culver City. I started playing music in 7th (1976 or so) grade and never got over it. Most recently I played in a two man combo in Oly, WA with Matt Murillo from the Houston TX based Ka-nives and Jr. Varsity. In Oakland, CA the Beatcombers with Ron Silva from The Crawdaddys and countless other bands. Not so current I played in the Hi-Fives with John and Chris from the Ne'er Do Wells and what not.

In '97 I worked for Revolver, USA Music Distribution and one of the labels we distributed was Crypt. That's when my record collection grew and listed toward what it has become today.

• May 15, 2012 7:13 PM CDT
    • I'm Steve currently living in Culver City. I started playing music in 7th (1976 or so) grade and never got over it. Most recently I played in a two man combo in Oly, WA with Matt Murillo from the Houston TX based Ka-nives and Jr. Varsity. In Oakland, CA the Beatcombers with Ron Silva from The Crawdaddys and countless other bands. Not so current I played in the Hi-Fives with John and Chris from the Ne'er Do Wells and what not.

• May 15, 2012 6:37 PM CDT
    • Geez wowzers, Howie! Thanks a boat load of congrats on the laundry list there!...I'm a huge Kicks fan but sadly have come up empty on my attempts to snag any ish's of Lost and Found...as far as the book wreck-o-mendations, all yeses and all added to my hunt (tho I do already have the Memphis-based book)...yer the best...now time to put that library degree to real work and dig 'em up!

Howie Pyro said:

hey...in a sense yeah, though not literally there's a heapin' dose of what you're lookin' for in a few books (mainly small press but still findable if you really wanna search) like Flip Side by Jim Oldsberg, We Gotta Go Now (a home made personal account of one guy's band/experiences) by Dennis A Blackledge, Yes, Phoenix Had Music In The Sixties by Edward Wincentsen, A History Of Garage & Frat Bands In Memphis 1960-75 by Ron Hall, Land of a Thousand Dances by Reyes & Waldman, Savage Lost by Jeffrey Lemlich all deal with or touch on the subject in a big way...there's loads more plus the greatest 2 information sources on this earth: Kicks Magazine (which turned into Norton Records) considered to be the greatest rock n roll zine of all time AND Lost and Found, massive issues (maybe 5 or 6 were published) by a young Deke Dickerson & others are still now,  shocking in their sheer tonnage of info on that & close subjects, i read 'em over & over all the time since the 80's. And of course the hundreds of other 80's-90's garage oriented fanzines, which i will, one day, make a list of...

• May 15, 2012 6:31 PM CDT
    • Ah yes, it's almost a crime cuz that very book has been sittin' on my to-read pile fer some time (bought it over a year ago, shame on me) but thanks fer remindin'...lookin' forward to it even more now!

Jersey City Mods said:

We're not aware of an all-encompassing book on the subject, but Peter Blecha's Sonic Boom! is a very detailed, in-depth book on the Northwest scene.  Although it's timeline goes up to grunge, the main emphasis is on 1962-1966.  Learned a lot from it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Boom-History-Northwest-Rock/dp/0879309466