Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• May 14, 2012 1:31 PM CDT
    • We liked "I Slept with Joey Ramone" and thought Johnny was portrayed as more interesting than the usual thug caricature he often gets.  We will have to check this one out as well.

• May 14, 2012 11:20 AM CDT
    •  

This autobiography focuses more on the late Johnny Ramone's interests (baseball, horror movies, Elvis, etc.) and the history of the Ramones than inter-band rivalries. The numerous photographs and well-bound cover make it a book to display on your coffee table rather than within the innards of your e-reader. Johnny Ramone's All-Time Top Ten lists give insight into his personality and world view (Top Punk Groups, Favorite Republicans, Best Film Reference Books . . .) Overall a must for any Ramones fanatic and a new slant on the existing Ramones cannon as typified by Dee Dee Ramone's literary efforts as well as the memoir I Slept with Joey Ramone by Mickey Leigh.

• May 14, 2012 11:59 AM CDT
    • Yeah, it happens way more in Boston than seems to happen to all the other people on this site. A waiter last week started talking to us about bands (of course it helps when my friend is sporting a hoodie of one of his fave bands) and definitely random times throughout the year.

Steven Madson said:

All the time! Come to Minneapolis Rock n' Roll city!

• May 14, 2012 2:54 AM CDT
    • All the time! Come to Minneapolis Rock n' Roll city!

• May 14, 2012 11:41 AM CDT
    • Thanks G!  Brokaw is a really cool fellow, just so interesting and bright.  Live he really is a force to be reckoned with.  Blows me away!

In a not very rockin' moment I saw the GoGos this past weekend.  I will say their set was tight and they looked great, but there was not a lot of really connecting with the audience.  I was never one for Belinda Carlisle, but I did sort of realize how the rest of the band really are rather ass kicking women.  I will completely give them their due as musicians and groundbreakers, though their hits were rather chirpy and light, but still, as a group of 5 women who wrote and played their own songs, I gotta doff the cap.  Glad to see them still playing in their mid-50's.

• May 14, 2012 3:28 AM CDT
    • MIND TRANSFERRAL by the Arrows blows my MYNDE:):)

• May 13, 2012 10:24 PM CDT
    • Check out Kickstarter "One Stop Shop" or S/T.

• May 13, 2012 11:43 AM CDT
    • Simon Stokes' last few albums are great too. His last one Simon Stokes & The Heathen Angels is fantastic though my favorite still is Honky, which came out about 10 years ago.

• May 13, 2012 4:58 AM CDT
    • The Angry Breed said:

joey fuckup said:

This band, the Angry Breed, are here on the Hideout, and they're into the biker image as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DefUUrerCc0

Yeah, we're going for a biker image although we're not into "real" biker culture. Our thing are the movies and soundtracks of the biker exploitation film genre, mainly during the years 1966-68, although everything we do are our own originals. We're currently working on two songs for a split 45 EP with Italian fuzz masters The Hangee V (due to be released early next year) that will come loaded with... yes, you guessed it - FUZZ!

Check out this video of the song "Sickle Girl" from the upcoming EP to get an idea of what I was talking about. The record should be out this summer.

• May 14, 2012 1:32 AM CDT
    • I dig 'Gacy's Place', it's a classic. Unfortunately, I can't be there for the Thursday night. I'm traveling from Vancouver BC, and will be getting in to O'Hare very late afternoon of the Friday.

Apparently there's a NATO summit on that weekend and they're gonna shut the city down!! :(

• May 13, 2012 9:23 PM CDT
    • Incidentally , The Mentally Ill are playing a pre-show / art opening , Thursday at The Bottom Lounge, which is a straight shot West on Lake Street from State and Lake. If you are'nt driving , take a cab from Downtown , or the green line elevated train(To Diversey). Don't have the address handy , sorry.

It's still kind of a dicey neighborhood (It's a cpippled industrial area, not a "Neighborhood"as such. ) , not too bad , just be alert. The show is at 7 ,  so , it won't even be dark , then , anyway.

The whole of Chicago disagrees with me , but , The Mentally Ill was/is the best Punk band Chicago produced. Except , they're from Deerfield .

• May 13, 2012 9:42 PM CDT
    • That's right ! " Singin' AWOOOO , Werewolves of London."

".Roky does'nt drink OR do drugs...Mole's quote is from the "April Fools Day " interview , KSAN Radio 4/1/78. It might be on you tube , if you can't find it elsewhere. It will ASTONISH you. Roky's host , Howie Klein , befuddled and condescending all the while , certainly was. Gregg Turner and SOME in-studio callers try to hold things together...Howie even admonishes one caller for calling Roky , "Roger" , his real name.

Mole said:

Well said!!! He is the Drunk Werewolf of Woodstock after all!!!!!

John Battles said:

" If you say Punk is not Rock 'n' Roll ,  well , that's wrong. And , if you say Punk is not a form of Rock'n'Roll , well , that's wrong. Punk , to me , is the art of cramming into one second what it used to take all night for us to do. When The Elevators would play with , say , The Conqueroo , at the end of the show, when we'd both played our sets , you HAD to jam. Don't even think of what kind of Hell they'd raise if you did'nt jam.".

"I like The Sex Pistols , sure. They remind me a lot of Fiorello La Guardia. My favorite Sex Pistols song? Hmmmmm. I have it. The First Sex Pistols Song I ever heard? I guess "Hot Cars".

"Somebody sent me a Talking Heads tape.   It's hard to listen to !". 

Roky Erickson.

• May 13, 2012 9:35 PM CDT
    • That's good. I need to start taking notes on the train and bus.

Andy Climax said:

'I'm all for peace an love mate, If only i could do something about these fucking mood swings' Overheard on a bus home yesterday. Cannae say more punk than that!

• May 13, 2012 9:33 PM CDT
    • From The Little Orange Book  , "The Wit and Wisdom of "?"".

"When we started out , people were calling us "Punks". I said , "Don't call us Punks !" , because to be a Punk , back then , meant to be a hoodlum. It does'nt mean that , today , but we were never "Punk" like The Sex Pistols. We're not violent".

"On "Girl , You Captivate Me ", where I say "Girl , You Masturbate Me". Love songs are fine , but , life is a little more REAL than that.

"Now , I don't cuss. But , when I did "Loose" by The Stooges , and Iggy sang "I'm burning to you straight from Hell." . Well , Iggy ain't got no ATTITUDE , you see , so I had to give it some attitude , by saying , "I'm FUCKING to you , straight from Hell !".

• May 13, 2012 8:40 PM CDT
    • Always quotable. Johnny straddles the line , here , between intimidating and genuinely hilarious. OH, YEAH. He still does that. "Freedom . Something the Hippies spoke of...when I was selling LSD at Hawkwind shows....OH , SHIT. Edit that part out.

antonio said:

John...

• May 13, 2012 8:37 PM CDT
    • When people say that punk ended in the late '70s/early '80s, I always assume that they only find their music from mainstream sources...

• May 13, 2012 8:29 PM CDT
    • If we're to decide , for ourselves , whether Punk is a style of music or an attitude (I know , I'm tired of that word , too....), or if it is/was a cultural movement , or , all of the above ,then we also need to consider, has  Punk taken itself too seriously , or not seriously enough? Or , I'd wager , both.....I was talking with a younger guy about The MOJO and Uncut special "Punk"issues , released concurrently. He asked me how far the features went , time wise. I said , you know , around '79 , '80 . when it started to go away."WHEN IT STARTED TO GO AWAY?!!!!" , he said , "THIS IS A WAY OF LIFE !!!!". Of course , he was too young to have heard the word on everybody's lips , "PUNK IS DEAD". Not that we cared , in the 80's . If it's good music , which is one of two kinds , you can enjoy it before and after the revival starts.   That said who's to say Leadbelly , John Cage , Screamin' Jay Hawkins , and other , more blatantly obvious examples , like Link Wray , are'nt also Punk?

• May 13, 2012 2:56 PM CDT
    • Get It – The Silvertones

Save It – Mel Robbins

Heartattack – Don & Dewey

Hound Dog – Little Esther

Georgia Slop – Big Al Downing

Wizard of Ah’s – Count Ferrell

Thunderbird – Hal Paige

Square Record – Bruce Culver

So What – Lyrics

So Hard – The Cliques

(Sock it to Me Baby) In the House of Shock – Animated Sounds

Get it On – Night Beats

Workin’ For My Baby – Lenis Guess

I Walk the Line – The Hot Dogs

Honey, I’m Too Old – Jack Oblivian

Shake ‘Em Up – Slim Green

Du De Squat – Lord Luther

Local Lunchbox

Taking the City by Storm – The Haskels

Helvetica – Couch Flambeau

Kids All Sing – The Nice Outfit

Invaders are Coming – The Young Savages

Members Only – Bobby “Blue” Bland

Let it Ring – Rubin Russell

Mama Ubangi Bangi – Four Sounds

Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow – The Rivingtons

For What You Lack – Liberty Bell

The Crunch – The Challenge

Say Mama – Chy Guys

Fouke Monster – Billy Cole & the Fouke Monsters

Plastic Surgeon – Dr. Yogami

Horizontal Action – Psycho Surgeons

Born to Lose – Heartbreakers

Anything That’s Out There – The Last

This is Aire Beat – The Squires

Hey Little Girl – The Kids

Give Her Up (Baby) – Jessica James & the Outlaws

Shout Bamalama – Pinetoppers

Do the Dive – Ronnie Fuller

I’m a Devil – Satan & Satan’s Roses

Shout Mama Linda – Fred Hughes

Fight Fire – Fantastic Dee-Jays

Revenge – Kookie Cook

Rockin’ & A Boppin – Carl Newman & His Nighthawks

One’s All the Law Will Allow – Luke Royer & the Rounders

Arabian Jerk – The Merits

Chicken Grabber – The Nighthawks

Morgus the Magnificent – Morgus & the Ghouls

Somebody’s Gonna Get Their Head Kicked in Tonight – Earl Vince & the Valiants 

• May 13, 2012 3:25 AM CDT
    • @ The Wardens. I found these straps at the Guitar center that have a locking mechanism built in so you don't need to pull out the starp buttons and add straplocks.  They're made by planet waves.

• May 12, 2012 6:21 PM CDT
    • Ya, it was recorded at CHRW and they released a cassette with about a dozen songs on it, almost all covers. A couple of the songs, including the one you played, appeared on WW cassette comps. They were also on a CHRW CD comp....and got a very short listing in Tim Gassen's The Knights Of Fuzz book (which is now available as a DVD in case you don't have it).

You probably met James Bond, keyboardist from The Reply who used to be in that band.

• May 12, 2012 5:24 PM CDT
    • We use Bandcamp for most every Big Bullet Records release, and if it's a release we really want on iTunes, Amazon, etc, we go through CD Baby, which is like a one time fee of $40 or $50 and it distributes to all of those online sites (you can even pick and choose which ones).

Bandcamp is great though because they can handle your physical orders and even do physical pre-orders with an instant digital download, which was a huge incentive with our last vinyl release. Folks could secure a vinyl copy, and enjoy the digital download instantly, and Bandcamp takes care of all of that...all you have to do is mail the records out once you're ready. I just really love the versatility of Bandcamp. You can also attach extra things with each download, like .pdf liner notes, bonus hidden songs, videos, etc.

I am interested to see how Limited Pressing works out as well. We recently started a distro site there for strictly vinyl releases. I like its integration with SoundCloud.

• May 12, 2012 5:05 PM CDT
    • The Stooges - Funhouse

The Exploding Hearts - Guitar Romantic

Ty Segall - Melted

Mean Jeans - Are You Serious

lots of newer stuff outside of The Stooges...these are the records that I never get tired of listening to.

• May 12, 2012 5:47 AM CDT
    • Thank you if you voted. We made it and will be inducted into the Michigan Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in June. YaHoo.

• May 12, 2012 1:00 AM CDT
    • I really miss Rock'n'Roll Suicide too, one of my very favorite podcasts here.

R. Fink has a great weekly radio show too, check THIS if you're in deep need for lo-fi R'n'R !

Hopefully he will come back here with a tear-ass episode someday !!!