Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• May 9, 2012 8:29 PM CDT
    • Well spotted :) i was told it was some kind of special edition or something but never found any more info.. oh the wammy is around and yes i should get some strap locks instead of tape! 

G. Wood said:

The only thing I know about that Jazzmaster is the whammy bar is missing, and if it were mine, I'd get the tape off it. And it looks like you're playing an E.

• May 9, 2012 5:21 PM CDT
    • The only thing I know about that Jazzmaster is the whammy bar is missing, and if it were mine, I'd get the tape off it. And it looks like you're playing an E.

• May 9, 2012 12:56 PM CDT
    • Yup, probably why the dude is re-listing for the 3rd time. I don't know about where you live but American guitars have an outrageous mark-up here in the UK.

• May 9, 2012 8:33 AM CDT
    • wow that a shit load of cash!!

• May 9, 2012 7:38 AM CDT
    • 62 Silvertone 1485! not many of these in Australia!!! 

• May 9, 2012 3:29 AM CDT
    • This is all wonderful gear & much cooler than mine though mine sounds pretty good.

Pedal board with Magicstomp programmed with EFTP delays.

'64 Watkins Rapier which is my favourite Plunktrash guitar, a very '60's sounding instrument.

• May 9, 2012 6:03 PM CDT
    • If anyone cares... It came out on Burger Records. I picked it up a few month ago, it's decent but not as raw or catchy as their mix tape cd from a few years back

• May 9, 2012 4:15 PM CDT
    • Hi Winston,

Yeah I record my own band (The Sultones) and various other bands as well. I have a danelectro dead on 67 guitar, through fender deville combo, linked up to a wem copycat and ashbrite fuzz pedal. I have a number of audio interfaces including an art tubefire for band recording and apogee duet for other stuff, and a collection of nice mics. I would love to get a reel to reel one day, but use logic with my mac to record into. Nothing can emulate the fender 63 reverb tank, but the overloud does sound good to my ears, at least you could try it out first, liked your track by the way! check out my video on my page to get an idea of the stuff I do, cheers Pete

• May 9, 2012 3:51 PM CDT
    • Thanks Peter. 

Love the bold type! Thanks very much for this. I'm using a Tech21 Blonde character pedal with the tech 21 PE60 power combo with the pedalboard attached below. The reverb pedal for surf is the BossFRV1. I record with 2xAKG 414s through Focusrite pre's either Blumlein, XY pattern, omni close mic'd or cardioid 2' to any distance away depending on the mix I fancy. The recording fidelity is pretty good but would surely be better with the right reverb added at the mixing stage. I've attached one of my tunes for reference, it;s XY about 4' from the speaker Thanks for your advice, do you record yourself? Winston.

• May 9, 2012 3:02 PM CDT
    • Hail Winston!

If you just want a spring reverb per-se go for 

Overloud SpringAge vst/au, otherwise amplitube fender has a nifty fender reverb tank emulation, but you would have to get the whole package, what guitar set-up are you using? sorry for bold type, dunno what happened there?!!Overloud is good though, you can get a demo of it online, cheers Pete

• May 9, 2012 3:09 PM CDT
    • This week's program featured music from Beastie Boys, The Reply, Frankenstein 5, Terrible Twos, Deja Voodoo, Teenanger, 63 Monroe, Nirvana, MC5 and more!

Download the podcast here:http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20120508-1030-t1336469401.mp3

Check out my blog post on Jack White's Blunderbuss here:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2012/05/blunderbuss-show-403.html

The Play List:

1.  Beastie Boys – Gratitude

2.  Beastie Boys – Remote Control

3.  The Reply – I Must Stop

4.  Frankenstein 5 – Go Away

5.  Terrible Twos – Negative Drip

6.  The Students – Somebody New Everyday

7.  The Pin Group – Ambivalence

8.  The Chills – Pink Frost

9.  Doublehappys – Needles and Plastic

10. Leland Sundries – Monitor Arms

11. The Dandy Warhols – I Am Free

12. The City Streets – For All The (Doomed) Lovers

13. The Diamond Rugs – Gimme A Beer

14. Teenage Head – Wild One

15. Deja Voodoo – Big Pile Of Mud

16. 63 Monroe – Yumpin’

17. Teenanger – Tired Of You

18. Mystics – Play Your Game

19. MC5 – Over and Over

20. Nirvana – Dive

21. Jack White – Missing Pieces

22. Jack White – Sixteen Saltines

• May 9, 2012 1:28 PM CDT
    • Hello there Everyone, I'm originally from Potsdam, (East) Germany but now live in Plymouth, UK. Ended up down here via Berlin, Scotland, Ireland, Oldenburg (GER) and a short stint in Nottingham. There's a nice little scene down here, big enough not to leave anyway and at near enough 31 I think I may just settle down. I'm not in a band and no intention to as can't make music to save my life (not even of the punk kind) so won't be pluggin my band now. I like music that's a bit messy or has an edge, though which usually falls into the Rock/Punk category of some sort and also 60s and 60s inspired music and other shtuff that I can dance or just jump around to like a looney, eg. ska. Love the Hideout but am still getting lost in here somehow, so much to discover. Looking forward to getting in touch with people on here more at some point. What else? Oh, like the total stereotype (not) ... I work in an office as an administrator ;)

• May 9, 2012 12:52 AM CDT
    • My name is Tucker and I have been playing bass in garage rock band The Demon Beat for the past 6 years. We've toured a lot and put out several records during that time. I'm also in the alt-country band Prison Book Club, and the punk rock band NU, as well as just starting up my own project under the name of Bishops.

I've been running the indie label Big Bullet Records for the past 4 years now, and it's been a great experience. I'm here to check out some sweet music I may not know about, as well as spread any info I can on the West Virginia rock and roll scene to those who may be unfamiliar.

http://thedemonbeat.bandcamp.com

http://www.bbrwv.com

http://bigbulletrecords.bandcamp.com

• May 9, 2012 5:50 AM CDT
    • Yup, Mikel -- we know that -- it has more to do with the context than his name - what I mean is n context of how the whole concept is portrayed in the piece. Using the old fittings, like you would in a museum exhibit, for example.

No, I don't think people call him Handsome.
      MikeL said:

Actually, Richard is his real name, and that's what everyone calls him in person.  I've met him a few times myself, so I should know.  

melissa scott said:

Both Mike and Kopper have it right.

Ceebs died a long time before the doors closed, m'kay? The need to refer to CBGC's to start something 'new' has that weird, slightly creepy feel when you see re-enactments of famous war scenes.

Ok, if given the benefit of the doubt -- and it's all about supporting LIVE music (hooray!)

But, why does it have to have the word CBGB's in it?

Handsome Dick as 'Richard' -- that one doesn't just get the LOL, it gets the giant GUFFAW!

CBGBs RIP, The Rat RIP... I'm sure there are people here who can add to the list. Just say no the Re-Animators -- you KNOW what happens in the Pet Cemetery, right?

• May 9, 2012 4:39 AM CDT
    • Actually, Richard is his real name, and that's what everyone calls him in person.  I've met him a few times myself, so I should know.  

melissa scott said:

Both Mike and Kopper have it right.

Ceebs died a long time before the doors closed, m'kay? The need to refer to CBGC's to start something 'new' has that weird, slightly creepy feel when you see re-enactments of famous war scenes.

Ok, if given the benefit of the doubt -- and it's all about supporting LIVE music (hooray!)

Handsome Dick as 'Richard' -- that one doesn't just get the LOL, it gets the giant GUFFAW!

CBGBs RIP, The Rat RIP... I'm sure there are people here who can add to the list. Just say no the Re-Animators -- you KNOW what happens in the Pet Cemetery, right?

• May 8, 2012 9:56 PM CDT
    • i WAS'NT ABLE TO ACCESS THE ARTICLE....But , when I went to CBGB's in 1984 , it was already dead. This was just 5 years after the venue's heyday initially came to a halt. I still thought there'd be exciting new bands to see. But , I've been known to make bad calls. I SAW A YOUNG BAND CALLED  SMASHING PUMPKINS , ENTIRELY BY ACCIDENT , about 4 years later. If you'd have told me they had a hope in Hell of making it big , I might have laughed , or said "They suck bad enough , maybe they will !". The Punk Revival brought a lot of good business to CB's , and even the reunion of several bands that deserved to see a reunion , like Richard Blum and His Dictators , but , they've made a career out of breaking up and reforming at a later date , as , I'm told , they've done , recently.  

• May 8, 2012 7:45 PM CDT
    • Both Mike and Kopper have it right.

• May 8, 2012 7:19 PM CDT
    • The best kickin round in Sydney at the moment - Straight Arrows, Royal Headache, Bed Wettin' Bad Boys and Dead Farmers. Further South in Melbourne there's Total Control and The Frowning Clouds

• May 8, 2012 7:17 PM CDT
    • <iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="http://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F44515381&show_artwork=true"></iframe>

my band The Dandelion Seeds, we have more rockin songs thou

• May 8, 2012 3:31 PM CDT
    • UGLY THINGS #33 is now available for pre-order and will start shipping out in the next 10 days. The big cover story this time is on LOVE: in an extensive, soul-baring interview, guitarist Johnny Echols (Arthur Lee’s right-hand man throughout LOVE’s classic period) tears down the mystery and the myth to reveal the true story of this seminal band. Lots of cool pix too (some never before seen).

We also have a pile of other amazing stories: Dutch psychedelic freaks Group 1850, destructive Ohio proto-punks The Electric Eels, English freakbeat giants Wimple Winch and The Craig, plus The Leopards, garage gods The Syndicate (immortalized on Back From the Grave Vol. 8), The Reekers, The Hangmen, Barrence Whitfield, Wildwood, Illes and more. Also, “The San Francisco Beat,” a brand new column by Cyril Jordan of the Flamin’ Groovies, and of course our extensive review sections covering all the latest reissues, rock‘n’roll books and DVDs.

Order at the Ugly Things webstore and you get a FREE Bear Family sampler CD with tracks by Gene Vincent, The Lords, Ronnie Dawson, Cindy & Bert (their killer take on "Paranoid" called "The Hound of the Baskervilles"), Jerry Lee Lewis, Big Joe Turner and more (29 tracks).

www.ugly-things.com