Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• May 15, 2012 3:44 PM CDT
    • there is no real reason to dislike the fabs (apart from you genuinely don't like the music). Yes, they were successful and yes, they were four annoying twats from Liverpool, but together they wrote/played some fantastic tunes, and they were innovators - Sgt Pepper arguably changed the 'pop' landscape and the white album was just plain amazin'!

• May 15, 2012 12:48 PM CDT
    • the amazing aspect of The Beatles is that the older I get, the more I appreciate their professionalism.  They and George Martin, painted a soundscape on each and every song.  The lyrics, music and swagger all fit nicely into each little song package.  I went through that I am too cool for The Beatles phase for a long time, but then I started really listening.  Wow, the craftsmanship, the pure pop as art ethos is here in those grooves.  It is as though, each song is a separate, yet integral part of a whole piece.  Each song adding another  layer to the painting.  I fought this for a long time, but finally I had the epiphany of their artistry. Now, I am continually discovering new aspects of their songs.  I am at peace with this epiphany too.  I guess with age comes clarity, or the realization that The Beatles have always been that good.    

• May 14, 2012 5:39 PM CDT
    • I think with the Beatles and also Elvis, well you spend your entire life hearing about how they are God and the most amazing people ever, genius, so talented, etc... and then you hear them and how can anybody live up to that? 

Nobody ever can really. 

Anyway it isn't that important that everyone loves the Beatles, but you should least respect the Beatles and how important they are in rnr history. 

• May 14, 2012 2:54 PM CDT
    • I don't think there's any real good reason to dislike the Beatles as a whole because they DO have a wide range and some are going to like the long hair hippies more than the mop tops.  To hate everything they ever did I think is kind of ridiculous.  Yes, they are tame in comparison to almost everything we've come to enjoy but would we have anything to enjoy if it wasn't for them.  I think a lot of the fifties acts would have become forgotten relics (even Elvis) if a band like the Beatles hadn't come along to remind us of what came before.  I think a lot of bands like the Stones and the Kinks would have had a tougher time in the States if the Beatles hadn't been around having their first round of hit singles paving the way.  Different in style, but a big reason a lot of the following groups even got a listen was that they were British and kids were going to listen to anything British thanks to the Beatles.  Otherwise, they probably would have got lost in the shuffle just like British acts before the Beatles (like Cliff Richard or somebody of that ilk).

• May 14, 2012 2:33 PM CDT
    • You have what's like your own little Norwegian Wood story going on here.  Sorry about the sad twist at the end but cool that she took the time to turn you onto something.

G. Wood said:

When I was a snotty little kid in '63 or '64, my snotty little friends and I used to make fun of this new big teenage fad, The Beatles. "John Lemmon, what a sourpuss!" One day my friend's older sister, maybe she was 15 or so, asked me if I'd actually ever heard The Beatles. She took me up to her room and put Meet The Beatles on the player. Up until then, I hadn't payed much attention to music, outside of the the stuff my parents sometimes listened to, like Marty Robbins, Roger Miller, Moon River, Sink The Bismark, Grand Canyon Suite, and other odds & ends, plus vague memories of earlier doo wop and teeny pop.

I don't know if it was the music alone, or a sophisticated 'older woman' paying attention to me. What I know is that day changed my life. Meet The Beatles was the most exciting thing I ever heard. I got a transistor radio. I started combing my hair different. I lost all interest in baseball cards and comic books. Soon, I got a guitar. 

Sadly, my friend's sister died the next year, in a diving accident. The family moved away. But I continued to rock, to this very day.

• May 15, 2012 3:18 PM CDT
    • Peter. Sorry for the delayed reply, there's been some family illness which has thrown everything out of the window for the last week. Like the track & video, particularly the attention to detail in both. You're obviously a good engineer, great snare sound. I like the clean tone going into the fuzz tone on the Danelectro. I can't believe they are now £156.00 at Thomann, I want a green one! Trouble is if you buy up all the great affordable stuff there is out there you can't save up for the biggies. Right now I want a real reverb tank & a Marr Jaguar so much it hurts, oops that's £2100! Overloud sounds really interesting & affordable, I'm confused by different links to it, do you know which is the right one? Is your band gigging?

• May 15, 2012 2:18 PM CDT
    • Yup, thanks for that.

• May 15, 2012 4:31 AM CDT
    • Howie Pyro plays the weird stuff......50's and 60's rock and roll, psycho surf, garage, rockabilly, hillbilly horrors, voodoo r & b, insane instrumentals, religious nuts, teenage hell music, vintage global garbage, peppered with bizarre old movie ads & radio clips & general echo-fied screaming...

You can hear INTOXICA RADIO every Tuesday at 9pm (Pacific Time) on LuxuriaMusic.com

PODCAST: http://jellsmayhemsgarage.podomatic.com/

THE LAST 2 PLAYLISTS FOR INTOXICA-PODCASTS ARE UP!

AS MOST OF YOU KNOW, THE STUDIO IS BEING REBUILT (THANKS TO YOUR DONATIONS)
      THESE ARE THE LAST COUPLE SHOWS I GOT TO DO LIVE.

INTOXICA 3/27/12

REVELS- INTOXICA

HOLLYWOOD SAXONS- L.A. LOVER
      JACK HARRIS & ARABIANS- DOG WILD
      JULIA LEE & HER BOYFRIENDS- SNATCH & GRAB IT
      LITTLE WALTER- TEENAGE BEAT
      THE RADIO FOUR- BLOOD DONE SIGNED MY NAME
      GENE THE HAT- PASS THE BUG (PARTS 1 & 2)
      LEONARD JOHNSON- THE BUG
      KURRYETTES- THE SPOOK
      SCREAMIN JAY HAWKINS- YOU PUT THE SPELL ON ME (YEAH YA READ IT RIGHT)

GARY- GET A HAIRCUT
      BOBBY "FATS" MIZZELL- GO GET A HAIRCUT ROCK
      DON DURANT- SEAL ROCK
      PAGEANTS- BIG DADDY
      PLAYBOYS- CHARGE IT!
      WAILERS- TALL COOL ONE
      ALBERT & CHARLES- WEIRD
      ROCKIN' ACES- EVIL
      STORMS- TARANTULA
      ROCKIN' ACES- THUNDER
      STORMS- THUNDER
      CHAMPS- TWENTY THOUSAND LEAGUES
      PACE SETTERS- MUSTANG

JOHNNY RIOS & US 4- BANG BANG
      JOHNNY RIOS & US 4- LATIN COOL JERK
      JOHNNY RIOS & US 4- EL PITO
      JOHNNY RIOS & US 4- TOOT TOOT TOOTSIE (ORIG)
      BALDEMAR HUERTA (BEBOP KID)- EL TWIST
      CONGO KID- SLAP HAPPY
      LOS TRASHMEN- MALAGUENA SURF
      PLAYBOYS- WHATIZIT?
      JACKIE MORNINGSTAR- ROCKIN IN THE GRAVEYARD
      DANNY ZELLA & ZELL ROCKS- WICKED RUBY
      JOEL WARREN- EVIL BOLL WEEVIL (KIM FOWLEY)
      KIRBY LEE- MIDNIGHT MISSION

RONNIE BIRD- TU PERDS TON TEMPS (DON'T BRING ME DOWN)
      DELTAS- SHE'S MY GIRL

GENE & EUNICE- I GOTTA GO HOME

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTOXICA 3/06/12 SPECIAL GUEST DJ RUBY WHITE!

REVELS- INTOXICA

RALPH NIELSON & CHANCELLORS- SCREAM
      BILL ALLEN & BACKBEATS- PLEASE GIVE ME SOMETHING
      HERBIE DUNCAN- HOT LIPS BABY
      WANDA JACKSON- MEAN MEAN MAN
      LEE DRESSLER & KRAZY KATS- BEAT OUT MY LOVE

A JACKS & THE CLEANSERS- STRONGER THAN DIRT
      ARDELLS- STRONGER THAN DIRT
      AMBERTONES- CHOCOLATE COVERED ANTS
      ROCKING ROADRUNNERS- KING OF THE JUNGLE
      CHAOS INCORPORATED- DAKTARI OOO-AH
      GAYLADS- AH SO
      LINCOLN CHASE W/THE 4 MOST- (THE LAND OF) THE PAPA WHOS
      DANNY STATON- THE RIDDLE OF THE PAPA WHOS
      JAMIE ROSS- LET'S DO THE CAT
      CARTER BROS.- DO THE WATUSI

RUBY WHITE SET:
      VERSATONES- BILA
      DARLENES- I STILL LIKE ROCK & ROLL
      BEATLE-ETTES- ONLY SEVENTEEN
      ROCKIN' RAMRODS- WILD ABOUT YOU
      GENE CHANDLLER- KISSIN IN THE KITCHEN
      YARDBIRDS- I WISH YOU WOULD
      MONKEES- STEPPIN' STONE (FOR DAVY JONES)
      CHAN ROMERO- THE HIPPY HIPPY SHAKE
      JAN & ARNIE- JENNIE LEE
      ROLLING STONES- STUPID GIRL
      IRMA THOMAS- TIME IS ON MY SIDE
      PATTY & THE EMBLEMS- MIXED UP SHOOK UP GIRL
      ? & THE MYSTERIANS- I NEED SOMEBODY

DINKY HARRIS & THE SPADES- SHE LEFT ME CRYING (GET A COOL REISSUE 45 FROM
      DINKY HIMSELF SIGNED PLUS AUTOGRAPHED 8X10 50S PHOTO ON EBAY NOW!!!)
      RICK & THE ROCKERS- I'M HURT
      JOE COTA- CREEP-A-CON ROCK
      RONNIE SELF- DATE BAIT
      HALL BROTHERS- WHITE CONVERTIBLE
      EDDIE QUINTEROS- COME DANCE WITH ME

THE UNBELIEVABLE CHUCK GREGG- INSANE (SONNY FLAHERTY)

SEE YA TUESDAY AT 9PM LUXURIAMUSIC.COM!

YOU CAN LISTEN TO EVERY ARCHIVED SHOW RIGHT ON MY

INTOXICARADIO MYSPACE PAGE (PLAYER NEAR THE TOP RIGHT) AND/OR SUBSCRIBE FOR
      FREE IN ITUNES!

PLEASE CHECK THE 2 FACEBOOK INTOXICA RADIO PAGES!

SEE BOTTOM OF EMAIL FOR ARCHIVE OF SHOWS LINK.

ALSO YOU CAN LISTEN ON MY GARAGEPUNK HIDEOUT PAGE.

HOWIE PYRO

LUXURIAMUSIC.COM

archive/download at:

http://jellsmayhemsgarage.podomatic.com/

• May 15, 2012 11:07 AM CDT
    • hey...in a sense yeah, though not literally there's a heapin' dose of what you're lookin' for in a few books (mainly small press but still findable if you really wanna search) like Flip Side by Jim Oldsberg, We Gotta Go Now (a home made personal account of one guy's band/experiences) by Dennis A Blackledge, Yes, Phoenix Had Music In The Sixties by Edward Wincentsen, A History Of Garage & Frat Bands In Memphis 1960-75 by Ron Hall, Land of a Thousand Dances by Reyes & Waldman, Savage Lost by Jeffrey Lemlich all deal with or touch on the subject in a big way...there's loads more plus the greatest 2 information sources on this earth: Kicks Magazine (which turned into Norton Records) considered to be the greatest rock n roll zine of all time AND Lost and Found, massive issues (maybe 5 or 6 were published) by a young Deke Dickerson & others are still now,  shocking in their sheer tonnage of info on that & close subjects, i read 'em over & over all the time since the 80's. And of course the hundreds of other 80's-90's garage oriented fanzines, which i will, one day, make a list of...

• May 14, 2012 11:12 PM CDT
    • After readin' Dave Marsh's Louie Louie fer what might be to the point of memorization, riddle me this crazy-kids: Does a book on 1960s Frat-rock &/or party classics, such as "Hanky Panky", "Surfin' Bird", "Tequila", "Double Shot (of My Baby's Love)" & natch the aforementioned cream of the heap, exist in the wide world of sorts?

• May 15, 2012 9:44 AM CDT
    • Hells Yeah!!!

CRAIG MOORE said:

GONN is now all 60+ and I'm 65... we just put out a new album called "GONN 45 Fully Loaded" that's just as energetic as "Blackout Of Gretely" or "Doin' Me In" although of course those 2 tracks captured lightning in a bottle for a bunch of teenagers.  In 1967 people thought I screamed too much on "Doin' Me In", now I'm listening to the new album and I'M  wondering if I'm screaming too much! Ha! NEVER! God bless The Trashmen, The Sonics, The Pretty Things, The Sorrows, Jim McCarty, Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, Ray Davies, Eric Burdon, Paul McCartney, all still at it, even my friend Rudi Protrudi is 50+, the second generation is getting up there too, damn the torpedoes, full scream ahead --- Aaaaaaarrrrrggghhhhhhhh!

• May 15, 2012 9:26 AM CDT
    • GONN is now all 60+ and I'm 65... we just put out a new album called "GONN 45 Fully Loaded" that's just as energetic as "Blackout Of Gretely" or "Doin' Me In" although of course those 2 tracks captured lightning in a bottle for a bunch of teenagers.  In 1967 people thought I screamed too much on "Doin' Me In", now I'm listening to the new album and I'M  wondering if I'm screaming too much! Ha! NEVER! God bless The Trashmen, The Sonics, The Pretty Things, The Sorrows, Jim McCarty, Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, Ray Davies, Eric Burdon, Paul McCartney, all still at it, even my friend Rudi Protrudi is 50+, the second generation is getting up there too, damn the torpedoes, full scream ahead --- Aaaaaaarrrrrggghhhhhhhh!

• May 15, 2012 7:32 AM CDT
    • The butterfly effect in music too.....sounds interesting :):):)

• May 15, 2012 6:50 AM CDT
    • Time to queue up The Clash's "White Riot" for an outsider's perspective from across the pond. Prophetic perhaps and strangely enough The Clash were Johnny Ramone's 2nd best pick for top ten punk bands of all time after The Ramones themselves.  Or "Smash  It Up" by the Damned might do nicely. Funny how the brits emulated the Ramones' buzzsaw guitar somewhat then changed the lyrics and tone of the soundtrack while there was real unrest (strikes, riots etc) in England at the time. Perhaps there is a delayed reaction in the US that goes beyond the Ramonesesque quitar sound that you hear on car commercials. Some kind of unintentional butterfly effect I guess . . .

sleazy said:

And it's exactly this OBNOXIOUIS contadiction that many have woken up to and are getting ready to WIPE out....luckily I say....if you haven't noticed yet, there are people ready to pick up whatever they can find in the streets and smash up everything. Seattle was the 2nd indication....and NO, no worries, this time 'round, "THE FIRE".......there ain't NO stoppin' the people when they're fed up with politicians ands politics....it already happended once in America's history....IT CAN SURELY HAPPEN AGAIN (aka American Revolution)...it's time to wake up the Sons & Daughters again and wipe out ONCE and for all the OBNOXIOUS Ramone-like, pro-CIA policy...and it WILL happen, be sure :):):)!!!!

The Ramones are as quintessentially American as the Beach Boys, with all of the contradictions, glories and irregularities that go along with that distinction.

Glenn Armstrong said:

I knew if I mentioned the top ten Republican list we would get some spirited discussion! But there is also the flip side of the liberal Joey Ramone and the later "Bonzo Goes to Bitburg" controversy that almost caused Johnny to quit the band. The Ramones are as quintessentially American as the Beach Boys, with all of the contradictions, glories and irregularities that go along with that distinction.
      sleazy said:

I wonder if it reveals the band's connections with the fuckin' CIA....I dig their music, but I HATE THEIR GUTS for being pro -Con:):):)!!!

• May 15, 2012 3:02 AM CDT
    • And it's exactly this OBNOXIOUIS contadiction that many have woken up to and are getting ready to WIPE out....luckily I say....if you haven't noticed yet, there are people ready to pick up whatever they can find in the streets and smash up everything. Seattle was the 2nd indication....and NO, no worries, this time 'round, "THE FIRE".......there ain't NO stoppin' the people when they're fed up with politicians ands politics....it already happended once in America's history....IT CAN SURELY HAPPEN AGAIN (aka American Revolution)...it's time to wake up the Sons & Daughters again and wipe out ONCE and for all the OBNOXIOUS Ramone-like, pro-CIA policy...and it WILL happen, be sure :):):)!!!!

The Ramones are as quintessentially American as the Beach Boys, with all of the contradictions, glories and irregularities that go along with that distinction.

Glenn Armstrong said:

I knew if I mentioned the top ten Republican list we would get some spirited discussion! But there is also the flip side of the liberal Joey Ramone and the later "Bonzo Goes to Bitburg" controversy that almost caused Johnny to quit the band. The Ramones are as quintessentially American as the Beach Boys, with all of the contradictions, glories and irregularities that go along with that distinction.
      sleazy said:

I wonder if it reveals the band's connections with the fuckin' CIA....I dig their music, but I HATE THEIR GUTS for being pro -Con:):):)!!!

• May 14, 2012 10:26 PM CDT
    • I knew if I mentioned the top ten Republican list we would get some spirited discussion! But there is also the flip side of the liberal Joey Ramone and the later "Bonzo Goes to Bitburg" controversy that almost caused Johnny to quit the band. The Ramones are as quintessentially American as the Beach Boys, with all of the contradictions, glories and irregularities that go along with that distinction.
      sleazy said:

• May 14, 2012 2:21 PM CDT
    • I wonder if it reveals the band's connections with the fuckin' CIA....I dig their music, but I HATE THEIR GUTS for being pro -Con:):):)!!!

• May 14, 2012 9:50 PM CDT
    • Seeds (1st album) !

• May 14, 2012 9:03 PM CDT
    • The closest thing to an all girl Black Flag was probably Bikini Kill

• May 14, 2012 7:26 PM CDT
    • OH , SHIT ! I almost forgot that was next weekend . I know , how could I ?   I think of ways , usually. It should'nt really affect the shows at The Empty Bottle. It's far enough away from Downtown.

• May 14, 2012 5:44 PM CDT
    • LOOKING AT THIS RIDICULOUSLY LATE , BUT , THIS LOOKS LIKE A STUDIO COPY , SHOT AT A DIFFERENT ANGLE THAN THE BETTER - KNOWN "WHERE THE ACTION IS" CLIP. BETTER QUALITY , TOO.     And , this is SO badass.

• May 14, 2012 5:33 PM CDT
    • IF ANYONE'S STILL READING THIS......I JUST GOT THE WORD THAT THE ELECTRIC PRUNES HAVE DECIDED TO STAY TOGETHER. AFTER BASSIST , MARK TULIN , PASSED AWAY , THE BAND , UNDERSTANDABLY , LAY LOW , AND DID'NT ANNOUNCE THEIR FUTURE PLANS.

PLANS ARE NOW UNDERWAY TO BEGIN PERFORMING AGAIN , AND , HOPEFULLY , TO RETURN TO THE STUDIO. THEY'VE DONE THREE CDS SINCE REFORMING , AND EACH ONE MAKES AN ASS OUT OF THE MAJORITY OF CONTEMPORARY GARAGE/PSYCH RELEASES.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR 

• May 14, 2012 4:05 PM CDT
    • Thought of another one: Samsonite Gorillas

• May 14, 2012 3:15 PM CDT
    • Wrekking Hrs is ON THE AIR! for May 14, 2012-tune in @89.3fm in Detroit,WHFR.FM online & w/ur phone on TuneIn Radio

Todays program features - Rockin Lloyd Tripp & the Zipguns, The Slapbacks, Truly Lover Trio & many more!!

In the Neo-Rockabilly & Psychobilly hour we'll be featuring  -  Newest Three Bad Jacks!!  Detroit's own Amino Acids & Treatment Bound - and from New York Tex Railer's Doomtown.

Tune in NOW till 6pm.