Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 13, 2012 1:09 PM CDT
    • A.) I had never heard the creeps or the mourning after, so I looked them up after reading this, and I'd just like to say thank you for mentioning those, because I dig them both.

B.) Have you heard the 13th Floor Elevators?

• March 12, 2012 9:16 PM CDT
    • I'm Jimmy, I'm new also, but I've been diggin' the some of the podcasts here for a while now, 

I live in southern CA- and am currently tryin' to get another another demo out but the scene is scarce.

I like stuff, stuff like twangy guitars, and girls, and beer and just gettin kicks, and stuff.

I'm into anything that has that soul- blues, rock and roll, garage, power pop, punk, lo-fi trash..and stuff.

Hit me up if any good shows are going on In the SoCal area of if any bands wana play together.

I'll put content up soon.

• March 13, 2012 12:32 PM CDT
    • That Deadly Snakes album is awesome, but I can't think of any garage albums with themes other than "cars" and "girls," and I'm not sure it's the best genre for it anyway. However, here are some non-garage albums with themes that I have enjoyed:

Jucifer - L'Autrichienne (Marie Antoinette)

The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat (travel, adventure)

The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love (fairytale about a girl named Margaret)

The Drive-By Truckers - Southern Rock Opera (the duality of the south)

• March 13, 2012 6:53 AM CDT
    • "David Comes to Life" by Fucked Up is a complete rock opera that is quite good.  But what's even cooler is that the band also released a companion LP called "David's Town" in which they copied the style of about 15 different made up bands that were from the town where the fictional "David" grew up.  Each band was a fake band with a made up back story and different style (all punk and punk-ish), but they were really all performed by Fucked Up.

• March 12, 2012 11:32 AM CDT
    • John pretty much took the words right outta my mouth regarding S.F. Sorrow! That would be my number one. Of course, I don't need to elaborate on the great theme albums of The Who (The Who Sells Out, Tommy, Quadrophenia ). The Future album by The Seeds comes to mind. There's supposed to be a theme in there somewhere!

• March 13, 2012 11:58 AM CDT
    • All the Byrds albums pre Sweetheart of the Rodeo, I just got Notourius Byrd Brothers.

I also would like The Strawberry Alarm Clock's albums The World is in the seashell and Wake up it's Tomorrow.

And Morning self titled yeah and The Beautiful Daze - City Jungle 7"

• March 12, 2012 8:02 PM CDT
    • Boy , that sounds REALLY interesting. But , I've never heard of it. I could look into the existence of such a thing. Then , the likelihood of it ever being reissued ranks up  there with Tony Joe White's semi - Garage Rock sides on J-Beck. I take it , Kenny Daniel was friends with Scotty McKay/Max Lipscomb , as his first comeback EP in the late 70's featured a perfectly acceptable (As in , great.) live Rock'n'Roll medley ( When such things were passe.) that included , along with "Black Slacks" , "Waitin'  In School" , and "Peppermint Twist", McKay's super killer non - seller 'Rollin' Dynamite".

The screamin' Soul Preacher said:

Talking about Kenny and the Kasuals, do you know if they did release a single or whatever back in the day for their great cover of "Down in Mexico" as M.K. Lipscomb's (aka the fabulous Scotty McKay) backing band under the name of GATOR SHADES BLUES BAND ? I've searched this thing for years...and never ever saw one single copy.

John Battles said:

Kenny and The Kasuals.  I know there's a UK comp that , like most , scratches the surface. I have the Live at The Cellar Club LP (DON'T FREAK , IT'S THE LATE 70'S REISSUE.), one of two EVA (Trademark of suck quality...BUT , when I was just getting into this stuff , I did'nt care) LP collections and a decent EP on the same label. I even have some of their Late 70'S stuff , most of which is pretty good . Still , a complete collection with GOOD sound and maybe minus a few ballads is 30 years overdue. Oh , well....

• March 13, 2012 8:56 AM CDT
    • Robbie Wessels - Poena is koening

• March 13, 2012 8:47 AM CDT
    • Oh...hell yeah to that first Real Kids LP!!!!!!!!

Fritz said:

THE REAL KIDS self-titled LP.

• March 12, 2012 7:19 PM CDT
    • Wire - Pink Flag

Eddie Current Suppression Ring - Primary Colours

Earthmen and Strangers - ST

• March 12, 2012 8:25 PM CDT
    • I used to think Deep Purples Space Truckin was Space Monkeys.

• March 12, 2012 8:07 PM CDT
    • I also originally thought "Sedated " went  "I get it from my teachers , I get it from my friends , oh no , oh no , oh oh", and still being in High School at the time , getting shot by both sides , it worked perfectly.

John Battles said:

Wow. So , it's officially a musical genre ,now? Cool....I forgot about " I Wanna Piece of Bacon" (I Wanna Be Sedated).
        and "Only The Lonely Get Laid".....THANKS.
       kopper said:

• March 12, 2012 3:26 PM CDT
    • Today on the Wrekking Hours we're featuring Bear Family Records!!   Tune in for all the great collection of rare Rockabilly from the 50s & 60s that Bear Family Records has collected for their very unique releases.

Tune in NOW - 4-6pm at http://whfr.fm/about/listen-live-now

or w/ your Phone with the TuneIn Radio App! - also works from their webpage, just look for WHFR radio!!

Also available in the iPhone Public Radio Player App!

• March 12, 2012 3:17 PM CDT
    • I'm trying to get a hold of him now.

• March 12, 2012 2:44 PM CDT
    • Not had a reply, only emailed him a few minutes ago :)

He has been posting to his FB page, so hopefully he'll notice your message on there

kopper said:

And...?

Derek Kosky said:

just sent him an email, he might be on tour though.

• March 12, 2012 2:40 PM CDT
    • And...?

Derek Kosky said:

just sent him an email, he might be on tour though.

• March 12, 2012 2:38 PM CDT
    • just sent him an email, he might be on tour though.

• March 12, 2012 2:34 PM CDT
    • I've been waiting almost a month now for "Wild Evel" to respond to my email. His is the last track to require approval before I can ship this thing off to get mastered, and it's been delayed because of that. I've tried reaching out to this guy not only via email but also here on the Hideout and on FB, and he hasn't responded. If any of you know him, you might wanna mention it to him that he has 24 hours to respond to that email I sent him, or I'll put another band on the comp in his place. Thanks!

• March 12, 2012 1:12 PM CDT
    • I also really like early (early Jam era) paul weller, any one got any tips for it on a low budget?

• March 12, 2012 12:36 PM CDT
    • I am so sick of the Springsteen thing. I think Little Steven's Underground Garage is just a vehicle right now for the tour and record he is releasing.  Come on does he really need that much hype. Why doesn't he do this for any other band, yeah I wonder why.  It is becoming evident that the Springsteen thing is the most important thing at the underground garage, right now.  

Joeybombstyle said:

Rag on it all you want but  I enjoyed getting to see the backstage of MSG and as someone who likes Springsteen getting seats like that for free is not something I won't complain about.

• March 12, 2012 11:46 AM CDT
    • @John - I wish we were playing Cosmic Trip! Maybe next year! Have a good one John and let me know if you're coming to the continent.

@Nathan - Hmmm. That's a good idea! A virtual festival. But not live. We can get a line-up and edit a cool video. Kind of like the Hideout comps but visual! Consider it the first video podcast!

• March 12, 2012 8:56 AM CDT
    • The Hideout is way too international to pick one spot, it would have to be a tour. That sounds even more difficult. Maybe an online concert in real time that could go from location to location around the world with different bands playing at home. Charge memebers a few bucks so they can view it live!

• March 12, 2012 11:11 AM CDT
    • The Trip celebrates International Women's Day with all female music tribute!

Listen to it here: http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20120311-0030-t1331425800.mp3

The setlist:

... The A-Bones -The Lover's Curse
      Lavern Baker -Jim Dandy
      The Gore Gore Girls -Where Evil Grows
      April March -Tu Mens
      The Liverbirds -He's About A Mover
      The Pleasure Seekers -What A Way to Die
      Gloria Jones -Tainted Love
      Mahalia Jackson -I'm Going To Live the Life
      Holly Golightly -Believe Me #2
      The Headcoatees -Two Hearts Beating
      Toni McCann & The Blue Jays -No
      The 5678's -My Baby Does the Hanky Panky
      The Detroit Cobras -You Knows What to Do
      Memphis Minnie -Ma Rainey
      The Runaways- Secrets
      Blondie -Rip Her To Shreds
      The Slits -Peer Pressure
      The Plasmatics -Sex Junkie
      The Wild Things -I'm A Wild Thing
      Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Black Tongue
      Dusty Springfield -Wishin' & Hopin'
      The Cramps -Zombie Dance
      Patti Smith -White Rabbit
      The Velvet Underground & Nico-Femme Fatale
      The Love Me Nots -Secret Pocket
      Liliput -Ain't You

• March 12, 2012 9:01 AM CDT
    • Yup! Best bass I've had so far.

John Carlucci said:

Is that a Highway One Jazz Bass in Honey Blonde BTW?

• March 12, 2012 7:38 AM CDT
    • Yeah we've been using' the Boss Fuzz FZ-3 fer the last year on our bass sound (with varyin' levels of natural gain/overdrive from an assortment of bass amps)...highly wreck-o-mended if ya don't mind havin' to re-EQ yer sound to compensate fer the loss of the low end (the FZ-3 is a guitar pedal so it acts strange w/ a bass)...never got around to the Boss Bass Overdrive tho, but they make stand-up, straight-ahead stomp boxes that can take a lickin'...so if this Big Muff Bass Pi ain't exactly right we'll give the Overdrive pedal a testdrive...

Bobby said:

I've always liked the Boss Bass Overdrive pedals.  They're pretty simple, but have a great sound.