Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 12, 2012 4:58 AM CDT
    • That's true about "Our Souls" ...Of course , Gene is a classic example of someone who worked his balls off until he dropped , because he HAD to....
       But , he was stubborn , and refused to have his mangled leg operated on, even though it meant he might , with some therapy  , be able to walk , pretty much , like he did before his accident. He was blacklisted in The U.S. for refusing to pay Musician's Union dues , and survived mostly on earnings from European and Canadian shows , later in life. There were pockets of people in LA , The Rolling Rock crowd and such , and fans and drinking buddies like Alice Cooper and Jim Morrisson , who were all very supportive , but it was too late , the industry and his ex- wives robbed him blind. P.J . Proby even stole his clothes , right from under his nose. 
      Mark George Harrison said:

Don Arden, now there was a man who made money, for himself! Theres a really late Gene Vincent song called 'our souls' which GV repeats faster and faster at the end to sound like arse/assholes, he then can be clearly heard to say 'how was that Mr. Arden?'

The thing with the 'industry' is that people who are in it to make music are there because thats what they love and want to do, theyre not businessmen and have no interest in that side of it, leaving them open to the sharks!

• March 12, 2012 4:44 AM CDT
    • Well , I think that's the beauty part. If someone really interprets a song their own way , it can be as though you've never heard it , otherwise. Today , I heard a horrible Black Metal version of some 80's Journey or REO song , I forget which. The forced  irony , in this case , did'nt make it sound any better.

kopper said:

Ha! I'd totally forgotten that Devo song was a Lee Dorsey cover. Duh.

John Battles said:

The best - known non - Country song about coal mining would have to Lee Dorsey's original "Workin' In The Coal Mine".

• March 11, 2012 3:29 PM CDT
    • Ha! I'd totally forgotten that Devo song was a Lee Dorsey cover. Duh.

John Battles said:

The best - known non - Country song about coal mining would have to Lee Dorsey's original "Workin' In The Coal Mine".

• March 11, 2012 2:57 PM CDT
    • " IT'S HERE.....TO STAY. ROCK AND ROLL , COUNTRY AND WESTERN , IT DON'T MAKE NO DIFFERENCE AS LONG AS IT'S GOOD MUSIC ! " Jerry Lee Lewis.

Good call on the Nancy   and Lee song. I had the  good fortune to meet them both. It goes without saying that Nancy is as down to earth as they get , but , Lee , too , was really pleasant , and he seemed blown away that he had so many fans. He'd been away so long , I think what's obvious to us had eluded him. But , he lived to see it , anyway.....

hicksville hogwash said:

Whoop.... another unforgettable forgotten thanks John, also there is Lee and Nancy's Arkansas Coal (suite) which I guess is country but I've always found Lee as psychedelic as hell.....  and a Chubby Checker song - Lazy Elsie Molly "used to carry coal on her back" but this is a little chirpy.

Man the big coal companies know how to throw cash at the silencing the anti coal rockers?!

• March 11, 2012 8:45 AM CDT
    • Whoop.... another unforgettable forgotten thanks John, also there is Lee and Nancy's Arkansas Coal (suite) which I guess is country but I've always found Lee as psychedelic as hell.....  and a Chubby Checker song - Lazy Elsie Molly "used to carry coal on her back" but this is a little chirpy.

Man the big coal companies know how to throw cash at the silencing the anti coal rockers?!

• March 12, 2012 4:33 AM CDT
    • .....Radio , for the most part , has been pathetic since at least the early to mid 70's. I was'nt around in the 50's or the early to mid 60's , but , when you could still hear music from those eras on a regular basis , it was  exciting.  AM was exciting when I was a kid , because people still knew how to write songs. Catchy tunes that still hold up , today. The conditions we're seeing , today , are nothing new. Sure , you have manufactured Pop stars like Lady Gaga , but , Madonna and 80's - era  Michael Jackson approached their careers and "Music " the same way. In the mid to late 70's , you could feel the onslaught of Disco coming on , but , also ,  very bad Rock and Pop ruled the airwaves.You had The Bee Gees in decline , Fleetwood Mac already past it , and a lot of weak stuff in between, There was the occasional Hard Rock hit that did'nt suck , like "The Boys Are Back In Town" by Thin Lizzy , or genre - defying killers like "I'm on Fire " by Dwight Twilley , but , the writing was on the wall. 

Radio is'nt the answer. The answer is getting out there and finding the bands that are for you , past and present. Internet Radio can be a good tool for finding out about new things , but , if you're willing to get your hands dirty , there are still plenty of good records , CDs , AND CASSETTES WITH YOUR NAME ON THEM. GETTING THERE IS HALF THE FUN.

• March 12, 2012 12:24 AM CDT
    • The Nomads and The Hellacopters. Have 31 Hellacopters' 7" singles alone. 25 Nomads' 7" singles.  Got albums and cds too. 

• March 11, 2012 12:13 PM CDT
    • Ha-ha!!! Man, that's super-hip that you have a Japanese 'Blitzkrieg Bop'! I'll put that on the jealousy list along with the Dutch 'Don't Cry Wolf' that's in your pic!! I've got the German New Rose alluded to elsewhere, as well as a yellow vinyl Belgian 'Don't Cry Wolf'...so many wonderful things to buy!!

Mike said:

Damn, I forgot to pull that one out for the photo!............. allright smart ass, you know that is a high dollar and rare one. That thing was going for hundreds back in the early-mid 80's as I recall.  I've come to terms with the fact that I'll never own that one, I'll just have to be content with my Japanese 'Blitzkrieg Bop' instead.

Mole said:

Impressive pics! Couldn't see the Japanese 'Neat Neat Neat' though....!!

Mike said:

The Damned followed by the Ramones. Mostly because they both have released so many damned (get it?) records and 7" sleeve variations etc etc that sucker a collector nerd like me to buy. No picture of me, but a set a photos I'd snapped for another forum. I have to give credit though to an old friend who sold me his entire Damned 7" collection back in the 80's. I knew it hurt him, but he knew it was going to a good home. That's where a good chunk of my Damned and Capt. Sensible singles came from.

• March 11, 2012 7:37 AM CDT
    • Elvis (maybe 50 albums) followed by the Ventures (about 20 albums). After that it might actually be the Astronauts which I have quite a few Japanese PS 45s of along with several of their albums.

• March 11, 2012 11:46 PM CDT
    • The Ventures

The Astronauts

The Lively Ones

Link Wray

The Surfaris

The Chantays

• March 11, 2012 10:17 PM CDT
    • Heh, if they match yes!  Worked for The Ramones...

• March 11, 2012 7:41 PM CDT
    • What if your Jeans, T-shirts and sneakers all match?

THE ELECTRIC MESS said:

A friend once said about dressing to go on stage something like "you shouldn't look like you could be just someone in the audience."  You're putting on a show.  Nothing wrong with flashing it up a bit or making a little effort to look good, unless you're playing "grunge" or some sort of punk I guess.  But for anything with a 60's garage vibe, surf, rockabilly, etc. sneakers, t-shirts, and jeans don't cut it in my book...

• March 11, 2012 6:59 AM CDT
    • A friend once said about dressing to go on stage something like "you shouldn't look like you could be just someone in the audience."  You're putting on a show.  Nothing wrong with flashing it up a bit or making a little effort to look good, unless you're playing "grunge" or some sort of punk I guess.  But for anything with a 60's garage vibe, surf, rockabilly, etc. sneakers, t-shirts, and jeans don't cut it in my book...

• March 11, 2012 9:28 PM CDT
    • Rag on it all you want but  I enjoyed getting to see the backstage of MSG and as someone who likes Springsteen getting seats like that for free is not something I won't complain about.

• March 11, 2012 7:09 PM CDT
    • You might want to give "The Above" a try.  Sounding very much like The Pretty Things or early Kinks.  "Bollywood Woman" is fantastic!!!

http://theabovebrooklyn.com/

• March 11, 2012 6:27 PM CDT
    • Some of my favorite recent scores were the self titled Cheap Time, Baseball Furies "Greater Than Ever", The Rippers "Tales Full Of Black Soot", Spider Babies "Undressed To Kill", The Spits "V", The Vagrants "I Can't Make A Friend 1965-1968", & Blowin Through Yokohama (16 hot skillet muck muck r&b blasts)

• March 11, 2012 6:10 PM CDT
    • The Oblivions singles CD on Sympathy.

OR The Sonics, Boom!

• March 11, 2012 3:59 PM CDT
    • I Love everything by the Deadly Snakes.... I have recently re-discovered "Porcella"!

One of my all time Favorites!

MixtapeTalia said:

Ode To Joy - The Deadly Snakes or anything by Jackie Shane you can get your hands on!

• March 11, 2012 4:55 PM CDT
    • I've always liked the Boss Bass Overdrive pedals.  They're pretty simple, but have a great sound.

• March 11, 2012 12:11 PM CDT
    • Lordy I know this is an ancient thread, but wanted to send out a new shout-about...

So after many fuzz stomp sessions since the Get Wets began, I've decided upon the Bass Big Muff Pi...it's worth statin' that tho I ain't the bass player anymore (I just sing/shout/stomp & shake a tambourine now) I still care a snot-ton about the bass fuzz sound of my band...with that in mind, we're on the verge of addin' back into our beat combo mix a sax-blower and a brand new baritone guitar-slinger (who will also be playin' thru a fuzz if I have anything to say about it)...

...I'm curious how a baritone guitar would respond to a bass eq'd fuzz box...I'll let y'all know once we get to rehearse with the new baritone goon this week...

• March 11, 2012 2:51 PM CDT
    • Of course , there's "S.F. SORROW"by The Pretty Things.

Some of Alice Cooper's later albums , such as "Welcome To My Nightmare" and "Goes To Hell" could be called story albums.

Jethro Tull's "A Passion Play" WAS CONCIEVED AS A PLAY , EVEN WITH A SHORT CHILDREN'S STORY IN THE MIDDLE.  "Too Old To Rock 'n'Roll , Too Young To Die" , which I don't even own , was also constructed as  a play , or a short story , about an early British Rocker , once a hero , now , unable to cope with the changes in the 70s (Even with The Rock 'n'Roll Revival , it seems...). Great comic book foldout.  

Maybe , if you push it , David Bowie's "The Man Who Sold The World" could be called thematic , particularly "Width of a Circle" (Protagonist becomes a monster , meets God in the form of a young man , and gets it on with Satan.) or "The Supermen" (re. The Holocaust in the horrific , yet wildly delusional P. O.V. of the perpetrators.). In any case , it's a great fucking album.

• March 11, 2012 2:29 PM CDT
    • I've been listening to one of my favorite albums from maybe 5 years ago... The Deadly Snakes, Porcella.

When I listen to it, I can't help but feel like there's a story, or theme in there somewhere.  I can't figure out what it is.  Maybe there isn't one, or maybe I'm just too fucking dense to figure it out.

• March 11, 2012 2:26 PM CDT
    • Trying to think of some great albums with themes, or a story from beginning to end.

• March 11, 2012 1:58 AM CST
    • Talking about Kenny and the Kasuals, do you know if they did release a single or whatever back in the day for their great cover of "Down in Mexico" as M.K. Lipscomb's (aka the fabulous Scotty McKay) backing band under the name of GATOR SHADES BLUES BAND ? I've searched this thing for years...and never ever saw one single copy.

John Battles said:

Kenny and The Kasuals.  I know there's a UK comp that , like most , scratches the surface. I have the Live at The Cellar Club LP (DON'T FREAK , IT'S THE LATE 70'S REISSUE.), one of two EVA (Trademark of suck quality...BUT , when I was just getting into this stuff , I did'nt care) LP collections and a decent EP on the same label. I even have some of their Late 70'S stuff , most of which is pretty good . Still , a complete collection with GOOD sound and maybe minus a few ballads is 30 years overdue. Oh , well....

• March 10, 2012 10:16 PM CST
    • OK , I stayed out of this argument , but , I'm with you on that one , and no one should have to stand alone as a Seeds fan . Especially in the context of Garage fandom. The Ramones also had a whole helluva lot of songs that sounded alike , or only moderately dissimilar , and a dearly departed singer that a lot of folks said could'nt sing. That's the beauty of it ! Sky Saxon was'nt the first to say "Fuck a singing lesson , let's Rock'n'Roll" , but he was the missing link from Jagger to Iggy and Johnny Rotten. They had so many great songs , especially on the first and second albums , and various oddball cuts like "Satisfy You" , "The Gypsy Plays The Drums" , "Wild Blood" (Think a good thought for Kim Fowley.), "Did He Die" , etc.   I'm not even suggesting people go do psychedelics , but , I don't doubt what Hicksville Hogwash is saying is true....The Seeds straddled that line from Garage Punk to early Psych so effortlessly. They never claimed to have a complicated sound , but , it was unique , especially if you can imagine what it must have sounded like to people , back then , when most bands of their ilk did'nt even DO LPs.  Still , you get it or you don't , and it's OK if you don't.

"Pushin' Too Hard" , I'd say , was more or less an instant standard.

hicksville hogwash said:

Try and reconsider The Seeds (and being hyped!  ...errr when?)  The Seeds are the only band I could listen to forever (sad but true).  They like Bo Diddley felt their groove so strongly that most every song/album is based on one or two chords.  

Sure Sky's voice is whiny but he is a magician of subliminal psychedelic messaging transforming into your trip guide by harnessing the primal power of the animal, plant and fungal kingdoms.  I hate to push drugs on you but with psychedelics the Seeds are better than 99.66% of "psychedelic bands"  they Pushed the envelope..... They were one of the first, IMHO the Doors ripped their entire act and sound ....

"Pushing too Hard" should be a standard ....

dying slowly said:

i can never get into the seeds i guess they got to hyped up for me