Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 22, 2012 4:34 PM CST
    • The worst gig I can remember in the last 10 years was the second to last time Guitar Wolf came over, it was the tour after Bass Wolf died. Maybe they were still getting over it, I don't know. They just stood around posing with Guitar Wolf feeding back his guitar for about half an hour and then left the stage. They attempted to play the odd song but they were shit to. Performance Art I can kind of understand but that was just total shit.

• January 22, 2012 12:52 PM CST
    • When i was an undergraduate, there was a band caled Babydoll playing at a student dance. It was just awful, as the band had no energy and the lead singer was dying on stage (though not in the Tommy Cooper sense), owing to the lack of stage presence. It was as dire as the state of television or the English education system today. If they were around today, they'd be called "indie landfill".

• January 22, 2012 1:40 AM CST
    • I took my son to see the Bad Brains about 2 years ago or so. Band was spot on, but HR just stood or sat at the mic and spoke the lyrics, not sing them. No energy, at all. My kid was 15 or 16 at the time and was appalled. Finally he kind of came alive on the last song (at The Movies)

The Hook Up said:

The worst show I went to has a couple of odd points to it. I went to see Bad Brains (or Soul Brains as they were known then) about ten years ago. The messed up part was the band were absolutely stunning. Just perfect. What made it the worst show was, it cost $20 to get in and they played for nine minutes. H.R. came back out and sat behind the drum kit attempting to play drums while smiling at a girl in the crowd. He kept waving at her until she waved back, which he took as some sort of green light, so he went into the crowd and slow danced with her with no music playing. The band came back out and yelled at him to come back up. He eventually got back on stage and they played half of "Banned in D.C" and then H.R. left. Earl accompanied my friends to another bar and hung out with us, which was amazing. I later found out that the band got into a fist fight with H.R. hours after the show. So, in short: Amazing band. Nine minute set. Total weirdness for a half hour then another forty seconds of music. But hanging out with Earl was incredible.

• January 22, 2012 12:39 AM CST
    • The shins! Fuck were they were dull.
      And the smashing pumpkins...bloody horrible stuff. Went with my house mates at the time it cost me $16.00, luckily Kim salmon and the surrealists were playing in the front bar, they were killer as always.

• January 22, 2012 9:40 AM CST
    • we've missed these great psychotic rock sounds of the cranks, sounds good!

• January 22, 2012 8:58 AM CST
    • So true.....money can get you just about anything as Michael Jackson proved. But money can't make me like MJ's musak....lol...

But getting back on topic, if i had a chance to see Gary Glitter, i would definitely go.

Chris Henniker said:

I think it was because Jackson was a gobal soul legend, where as Glitter was more of a cult artist who's appeal was quintesssentially English.

sleazy said:

Funny how that BASTARD of Michael Jackson was never convicted of being a paedophile, while GG was.....perhaps MJ just had more $$$ to buy off the judges, HHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:):)

• January 22, 2012 8:53 AM CST
    • That's funny John....you triggered a memory for me of Niagara asking for that drink when she was in London Ontario over 20 years ago....lol....

• January 21, 2012 8:25 PM CST
    • Niagara's drink of choice , back then , was TAB ( Diet cola with a funny taste that supposedly contains non - opiate weight loss - inducing chemicals. Did'nt help ME when I was a kid. It still turns up , sometimes.) , but , of course , she was'nt limited to that.

• January 21, 2012 8:22 PM CST
    • There's also some recent footage on You Tube with The Hitmen , from Australia. Sounds great , and she still looks great , too.

sleazy said:

Let's not forget Niagara in Dark Carnival 2:):)

• January 22, 2012 8:47 AM CST
    • Gerard van Herk, guitarist/vocalist/songwriter for Deja Voodoo still does the occasional show. John, you obviously know about the one in Toronto with Bloodshot Bill as drummer. It was supposed to be an OG Records reunion of sorts, OG was the record label formed by Deja Voodoo. There's some poor quality video of this show on youtube.

We had Gerard here in London Ontario this past summer and we got him up and playing for about 15m with a mystery drummer. It was totally amazing to see Gerard playing songs that we hadn't seen him do in over 20 years!! A lot of the younger folks who missed Deja Voodoo first time around became instant fans and finally got to see the legend! Below is a pic of Gerard in action at this show.

Gerard is currently in Newfoundland and sometimes does gigs with his son on drums.

• January 21, 2012 7:02 PM CST
    • Not even 10 CANADIAN Dollars , man.....Their first album is the one to get , if you can find it - "If mashed potatoes were security guards , we would'nt get anything done.....whoa who oh oh. Mashed potato !"....And if you wanna revel in sheer stoopidiocy like this , migh tI suggest Snake - Out/Fuknotz (More or less the same band.) and Jon Wayne's "Texas Funeral" LP . There was a Deja Voodoo reunion a few years ago , but , the Drummer did'nt play , so , Bloodshot Bill played in his place , better still

BUT , NORTON'S MORE RECENT SERIES ON UNRELEASED GARAGE PUNK ACETATES COMES HIGHLY RECOMMENDED , AS DOES THE NEW RE-ISSUE OF THE IMPOSSIBLY RARE 45 BY THE SUBURBAN CHICAGO BAND , THE RAVENS , WITH JOHN BELUSHI ON DRUMS .

IT'S PRETTY FUCKIN' SWEET. IF YOU LIKE "BACK FROM THE GRAVE" , YOU'RE ALREADY A FAN OF BOTH ! 

The Amphibious Man said:

Haha I love this thanks man. Sounds like they're using 10 dollar guitars!

NKOM said:

Deja Voodoo (from Canada) are among the trashiest slimiest rock'n'roll I can think of.. They named their own genre Sludge-a-billy, so you know you're in deep.. Here's one of my favourites: 

• January 22, 2012 8:29 AM CST
    • I have an MP3 blog, All I Want. It was originally meant to be for 7" singles only, but the temptation to add some LPs, 10" EPs and the very occasional 12" single, was too strong. I also mean to add some more scanned fanzines when I get the chance. The music on there is mainly from my personal record collection, alongside the occasional gap-filler from a friend. It's all from vinyl and it's all tagged, sorted and imaged-up.

The reason I joined Garage Punk Hideout was the number of times it cropped up when I was researching various obscure(ish) releases. I figured I'd just go straight to the source.

I hope you like what you see, and if there are any broken links just let me know and I'll fix them.

• January 21, 2012 10:14 PM CST
    • a little twist on a children's classic!

• January 21, 2012 8:46 PM CST
    • ....There are , of course , a LOT of bootleg versions floating around. I met Jim Skafish (Before the brief , "Legit" release on DVD. ) , and he told me he was told he had part ownership of the film , and , several other musicians were told the same , which , he said , would account for the ridiculously long time it's taken to get "URGH!" OUT ON DVD. The sort of recent commercial release was duped from a VHS copy , not even a master ! Plus , there is a SHITLOAD of outtake footage. A site on My Space , several years ago , posted 3 unreleased songs each by 10 bands in the film , for which they were , quickly , shut down. The only one that seems to have graduated to You Tube would be The Cramps ( But , I could be wrong. I've been wrong before. I saw a lacklustre show by The White Stripes and walked out on a suck - out - loud set by Smashing Pumpkins , never thinking either would make it.). So , yes , there IS a substantial amount of "Bonus footage " , not to mention Stiv Bators and The Dead Boys (Pin stripe , Power Pop phase.) , whose footage was shot , but , not used. Somebody probably has it. I've seen different boots , on VHS and DVD , that were about an 8 out of 10. 

• January 21, 2012 8:22 PM CST
    • I couldn't agree more. I really had no idea how many of the Cramps songs were covers until I started downloading the Nuggets collection, Charlie Feathers & Lux & Ivy's Favorite's. I was fortunate enough to see them play live once, a memory I'll always cherish.

John Battles said:

I'm a little late for the party , but , Lux not only "Got it" , "It" being the connection between many kinds of great , but often overlooked , music (AND the inherent coolness of well known artists , like Elvis , Little Richard , Jerry Lee , etc. , that often goes overlooked. But only by squares.) and nonmusical things , such as B-movies , Hot Rods , and sex , but , he was also a very funny and very sweet guy. I will always miss him.

• January 21, 2012 8:00 PM CST
    •  

I'm a little late for the party , but , Lux not only "Got it" , "It" being the connection between many kinds of great , but often overlooked , music (AND the inherent coolness of well known artists , like Elvis , Little Richard , Jerry Lee , etc. , that often goes overlooked. But only by squares.) and nonmusical things , such as B-movies , Hot Rods , and sex , but , he was also a very funny and very sweet guy. I will always miss him.

• January 21, 2012 8:12 PM CST
    • Amazing. Thank you for posting this link. The comments at the bottom are priceless . MITCH RYDER (PROBABLY WITH DETROIT.)  AND BROWNSVILLE STATION WERE ALSO ON THE BILL!!!!

This might have been the first , or one of the first , gigs by the Five Piece lineup of Iggy , Scott on Drums , Ron and James on Guitars , and Jimmy Recca on Bass.  I'd never heard of 'em playing out with this lineup in 1970 , even in December. ON A BASKETBALL COURT , TOO. i COULD'NT EVEN IMAGINE THAT......And I've got one helluva(n) imagination , too.

• January 21, 2012 7:51 PM CST
    • "Having an Intellectual Discussion With..." and , later "Eyeball of Hell" (Electric Eels.) , "The Modern Dance" (Pere Ubu) , "The Day The Earth Met Rocket From The Tombs", and a recent Mirrors collection - I forget the name.....

The thing about the earlier bands , they did'nt have many places to play , much less , a visible following beyond friends and the few who'd had it with cover bands.  and a lot of them LOATHED each other , or at least , individual people did. I've spoken with enough of them to know.  The Electric Eels played a total of five times. I doubt that Rockets played too many more times than that , but , I could'nt tell you , one way or the other....

The Dead Boys had to defect to New York City to make a name for themselves , as did Pere Ubu , and The Cramps , who were'nt all Clevelanders , but , of course , Lux and Ivy were based there , as was later member , Nick Knox (And much later member , Mike Metoff , his Cousin , from The Pagans.), before forming The Cramps in NYC.

Michael Weldon (Mirrors , Psychotronic Video magazine.) told me recently , "I've got all these people asking me for interviews about the early 70's Cleveland scene.....It was'nt even a scene !".

• January 21, 2012 7:28 PM CST
    • The Pistols were totally influenced , though , as you said , they honed their thing until it did'nt sound like anybody else....Steve Jones sounds VERY much influenced by Andy Scott from The Sweet , but , also , Mick Ronson . The Sex Pistols' early inluences included Syd Barrett , Small Faces/Faces , The Who , Dave Berry , The Move , MC5 , Eddie Cochran , Early 70's Bowie , The Creation , Hawkwind , Pink Fairies , Alice Cooper ,  Slade , and probably Crushed Butler , Heavy Metal Kids , Vince Taylor , Stack Waddy , T- Rex , Screaming Lord Sutch (They did their first gig , supporting him . But , that's no guarantee that he influenced them.) and Blue Cheer .....You throw The Ramones in the mix , and that's a volatile molotov coctail.    All stories of that fateful meeting (I've read it as happening at the Roundhouse and / or Dingwall's. The Pistols may have been at both shows , but could only get  into The Dingwall's show. Not sure. But , by all accounts , they , The Clash ,Gen X and , most likely, The Damned , bands that were more or less together , but in need of an epiphomy , not to mention the yet to be formed groups , were all there , and the gig served as a motivating factor.).

kopper said:

The Pistols may have been a band since '75, but their sound wasn't really honed until much later (early '76). Bands evolve over time, and I wouldn't doubt that seeing the Ramones definitely had an influence on their sound when they became huge, even though Lydon later denied liking their image or their sound. Also, don't forget that McLaren was also heavily influenced (or rather, inspired) by Richard Hell (Television) and the lower Manhattan punk scene of the early '70s while he was there working w/ the New York Dolls. McLaren even tried to recruit Hell to front the Pistols. And wasn't the first time the Pistols saw the Ramones at Dingwall's (the night after the Roundhouse gig)?

• January 21, 2012 7:06 PM CST
    •   I know I've heard this , but , I could'nt tell you anything about it. There was a site I looked up a few times. Sorry , I forget the name , where they ran photos of ridiculously obscure bands (Bands whose moms never heard of 'em.) as well asthe more obvious ones.