Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 19, 2012 10:46 AM CST
    • Still digging the new Atomic Suplex LP on Crypt. This is from a different release.

• January 19, 2012 8:37 AM CST
    • If you like deja voodoo, you'll probably dig my current band as well, I drew a lot of inspiration from them, as well as other raunchy two-piece sounding stuff.. I recently uploaded a live video on the videos thread, check it out - it's called "New Kind Of Mambo"

whatwave dave said:

Deja Voodoo were amongst the very first of the 2 piece combos...starting about 1982 and lasting 8 years...Drum kit with no cymbals, 10 dollar guitar (like you mentioned) and a cheap amp. They would travel by Edsel in the early days (until the Edsel broke down) and then via bus and train with all of their equipment tightly packed as carry on luggage.

Here's a link to their facebook page that has lots of pictures/posters and a few of the Edsel that i took many years ago:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Deja-Voodoo/23682273521

Deja Voodoo were also the people behind OG Records, the label responsible for releasing The Gruesomes records as well as many other cool recs.

• January 19, 2012 8:01 AM CST
    • Deja Voodoo were amongst the very first of the 2 piece combos...starting about 1982 and lasting 8 years...Drum kit with no cymbals, 10 dollar guitar (like you mentioned) and a cheap amp. They would travel by Edsel in the early days (until the Edsel broke down) and then via bus and train with all of their equipment tightly packed as carry on luggage.

Here's a link to their facebook page that has lots of pictures/posters and a few of the Edsel that i took many years ago:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Deja-Voodoo/23682273521

Deja Voodoo were also the people behind OG Records, the label responsible for releasing The Gruesomes records as well as many other cool recs.

• January 19, 2012 7:29 AM CST
    • Haha I love this thanks man. Sounds like they're using 10 dollar guitars!

NKOM said:

Deja Voodoo (from Canada) are among the trashiest slimiest rock'n'roll I can think of.. They named their own genre Sludge-a-billy, so you know you're in deep.. Here's one of my favourites: 

• January 19, 2012 3:43 AM CST
    • Deja Voodoo (from Canada) are among the trashiest slimiest rock'n'roll I can think of.. They named their own genre Sludge-a-billy, so you know you're in deep.. Here's one of my favourites: 

• January 19, 2012 10:34 AM CST
    • (bowing) Yes, Sir!

swt said:

Respect your elders, missy!

Ruby Soleil said:

ah ha! Mea culpe, I saw that thread, but thought it was about the Mick Jaggers of the world, (who, I'm convinced, is a vampire).  Now I have more context for your post. Turns out I'm the youngin here judging books!

• January 19, 2012 10:32 AM CST
    • Respect your elders, missy!

Ruby Soleil said:

ah ha! Mea culpe, I saw that thread, but thought it was about the Mick Jaggers of the world, (who, I'm convinced, is a vampire).  Now I have more context for your post. Turns out I'm the youngin here judging books!

• January 19, 2012 9:56 AM CST
    • ah ha! Mea culpe, I saw that thread, but thought it was about the Mick Jaggers of the world, (who, I'm convinced, is a vampire).  Now I have more context for your post. Turns out I'm the youngin here judging books!

• January 19, 2012 9:03 AM CST
    • So, how old are you and how much older than you was she? Just saying, I'm not exactly a spring chicken myself. Just know there are some old books on the hideout too, not just in Capitol buildings :)

• January 19, 2012 7:46 AM CST
    • That's amazing!!!! Just shows you that some of the stuff we dig could be appreciated by many if they would only give it a chance!

• January 19, 2012 12:31 AM CST
    • Awesome. Just goes to show that garage fans come from all persuasions.

• January 18, 2012 11:00 PM CST
    • Today I went downstairs to the NM state Capitol 1st floor snack bar to get me a Frito pie. A lady who works there -- she's gotta be older than me and let's just hust say she does not look like someone who would be into the music we like here -- told me, "Hey I read one of your music reviews in the paper. You were talking about Rat City? Something like that."

Indeed, I'd reviewed Jack Oblivian's latest album a few months ago. The snack bar is only open during legislative sessions, so I hadn't seen this lady in several months.

She continued: "My son found it for me on his computer. I listened to it. I like it. It was pretty good."

I thought that was pretty cool.

(Here's the review that snared a new Jack O fan: http://steveterrell.blogspot.com/2011/09/terrells-tuneup-rat-city-here-i-come.html )

• January 19, 2012 10:11 AM CST
    • oups, i dont know the plan was maybe better for the next week like... i don't know caus we have to come down to La on the thusday coming fro austin on the 18... what are the conditions ? can i give you an answer i 5 or 6 days... ? because im still waiting for the answer for the others gigs on the west coast... let me know and we'll fix it very soon .... cheers, Sylvie

my mail :

sylvie.subsonic@free.fr

• January 18, 2012 12:20 PM CST
    • So i have the 21st first in Oakland as of right now. Let m know if this works for you.

• January 19, 2012 6:54 AM CST
    • 4 times in 2 minutes!

• January 19, 2012 6:41 AM CST
    • How´s about this? Not necessarily Garage, but...

• January 18, 2012 9:51 PM CST
    • Fuzz Box Girl does a bunch of good demos and you can get a pretty good idea of the different fuzzes out there. It's also nice cause she uses single coils and humbuckers on some demos to show as comparisons

http://www.fuzzboxgirl.com/

• January 18, 2012 3:30 PM CST
    • I don't think I ever bought anything on that label , except maybe The Smugglers and The Go - Nuts , maybe a Hi-Fives CD I played twice , but I don't like seeing any independent (As Oppsed to "INDIE!". Indie Rock is neither.) label go down for the count.

There were many reasons , I'm sure , but people not supporting their local record stores , and the bands they claim  to like , by not buying their releases , does'nt help. 

Labels were struggling before the internet , too. I understand if people can't afford to buy records , CDs ,etc . , but if others can afford every new idiot device under the sun , I THINK they can spend 8 to 10 dollars on an LP once in a while. Or $15 for a CD (OF COURSE , CDs SHOULD HAVE BEEN MARKED DOWN TO $11 OR LESS , years ago. At least on your Majors and larger Indies , who can EAT money at this point. ).

• January 18, 2012 12:20 PM CST
    • continental!!!

Andy said:

Gretsch acoustic, Burns Cobra, Vox 'NightTrain' (15w, valve), Orange cab, Vox 'Brit Boost' (valve) trebble/volume booster, 'Nano Muff' overdrive/fuzz, & Boss (Hammond)/Leslie replicator pedals, Vox Continental (super II), & Shure Green Bullet Mic.

All bought off Ebay, & Relatively cheap & cheerful (like me!)

• January 18, 2012 12:12 PM CST
    • i prefer single coils and dont like burns overtly

Andy said:

BBurns Bison 62, Eastwood Wandre, or Jag HH would look the part...

• January 17, 2012 11:31 PM CST
    • Yea, he looks pretty raw. Born a rocker die a rocker type he is. If you go to the website, there are some great clips not in the movie, like Randy seeing a lawyer about his troubles getting a visa to travel to the states.

I have yet to dig up that Chicago doc. Need to find a copy someday.