Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 16, 2012 1:39 PM CST
    • My first show was Jane's Addiction- 1988- Orlando, FL.

My first punk show was The Damned- 1989- Miami, FL.

The best show I ever saw was Alien Sex Fiend- 1998- Coney Island High in NYC.  They had a giant strobe blasting the audience, the music was incredibly loud, they played a very long set, and they were excited to play there.

• January 16, 2012 1:30 PM CST
    • First Show... Queen(Supporting the album Jazz - yes Fat Bottom Girls)
      First Punk Show... Dead Kennedy's
      Best Show... The Cramps 

• January 16, 2012 1:30 PM CST
    • First punk show was in Florida...at a little bar on the Hillsborough River.  It was December 1976, and they had a "Punk Night."  A local band called "The Attack" was singing an original, and I still remember the lyrics: We're under attack, we're under attack, attack attack attack ack ack ack.  Sung with real snottiness, I can tell you!  I was pretty impressed...and soon The Ramones would be playing in Tampa.  Okay, I found my music!!!

• January 16, 2012 1:24 PM CST
    • My first "official" show I ever went to was in 1990, and it was Teenage Fanclub with Superchunk as the opening.  The best show ever was seeing Fugazi on my birthday.  Nothing too mind-blowing, but I'll always remember those 2 concerts as being soooo much fun.  To this day I still love Superchunk!!!

• January 16, 2012 1:20 PM CST
    • Looking for ways to promote my band the absolutes. Does anyone know any reputable blogs/labels that openly accept submissions and actively seek upcoming bands?

• January 16, 2012 1:11 PM CST
    • BLUE OYSTER CULT IN 2002,LONDON,UK.TE-RRI-BLE.I was a huge fan of the 1971-72-73 era,and to see them as old clowns was pathetic.it was so ''prepared''--it was like the death of my heros onstage.Giants falling down.Plus i got tons of shit by a couple of nerds 'cos i was smoking a cigarette right in front of the stage--that chick was OUTRAGED I was smoking.(i know smoke sucks,but its r-n-r,c'mon!)...Left after two songs.

but i saw them again in 2008 in san francisco,they were awesome!:)

• January 16, 2012 11:35 AM CST
    • I think the most miserable time I ever experienced at a live show was when I accompanied a friend to see Tenacious D. The place was packed with your typical frat boy/douchebag crowd. I felt like I was at a "Dude Bro" bar. And the music was boring and really, really lame. I just kinda hung back in the back until it was over, bored outta my skull. I could never understand the appeal of that "band."

• January 16, 2012 9:51 AM CST
    • I just think about shows with my own band. Last halloween was so fuckt. I have never played so drunk before. A picture was taking of me and I have piss spot on my jeans. But people did like the mess, not all thou. Some were leaving. That's sad to see that. But fore now i'll be drinking maximal 3 beers before playing...

But the worst professional gig I have seen would be Foo Fighters playing in the biggest sport-palace of Iceland. I was coming to see Queens of The Stone Age but they were playing before FF, the ticketprice was expensive and I told myself to check out FF even thou I did'nt like theyr music at all. I handled maybe 4 songs. The sound was terrible and this were all songs I had learned to hate from too much radio playing. David Grolh seems to be nice guy thou. Sad his music isn't like that. 

Then another one was Placebo on the second biggest sport palace of Iceland (I got tickets for free). The sound was not bad or anything like that. Just their performance and music was crap. They always pose in their videos as a trio. The were at least 6 musicians on the stage, but the session players were all in the shadow, no light on them, maybe by their own wishes but I personally think thats silly.

• January 16, 2012 8:39 AM CST
    • I HEAR YA. I JUST EXPECTED A LOT MORE OUT OF MARKY , I SAW HIM SEVERAL TIMES WITH THE RAMONES , AND A COUPLE OF TIMES WITH THE INTRUDERS. HE WAS ALWAYS VERY PROFESSIONAL. MAYBE IT JUST WAS'NT A GOOD PAIRING. HE JUST SOUNDED REALLY OFF. I CAN'T BELIEVE JERRY ONLY IS STILL DOING IT. I MEAN, IF HE HAD THIS GREAT FUCKING BAND AND A PROPER SINGER OR SOMETHING , WELL , MAYBE...  
      Mike Humsgreen said:

At least you got Marky Ramone, I saw "The Misfits" last year and it just had what's his name telling us we weren't rocking hard enough. Now the audience has a role to play but these guys were headlining the bloody festival and sucking at it. It was Ruhrpott Rodeo and according to the facebook site they have Marky Ramone's Blitzkreig this year with a comment about them being good. I'm hoping this is a joke.

John Battles said:

....I feel your pain , tho' I'm not a huge Misfits fan....I saw A "Misfits" like in '03. It was Jerry Only . Dez Cadena and Marky Ramone. I knew it was'nt The Misfits. But , between them ,  it seemed like it could have been a good Rock'n'Roll show . I would have been OK with that , but , they were TERRIBLE. the Damned and The Dickies were both lower on the bill , but , needless to say , beat that atrocity into submission..

OK , IT WAS'NT THE WORST SHOW I EVER SAW.....

THAT HONOR WOULD HAVE TO GO TO ANY STICKMEN WITH RAYGUNS GIG FROM 1982 - 87. iRONICALLY , ONE OF THE LAST SHOWS I EVER SAW THEM DO WAS TOLERABLE , ANYWAY.  HONORABLE MENTION WOULD HAVE TO GO TO THE MAKERS, AND , IT PAINS ME TO SAY THIS , BUT , SONNY BURGESS' LAST TOUR , PURE FAIR CIRCUIT .

I ACTUALLY MISSED THE BATUSIS THAT NIGHT , BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO. PEOPLE WERE LEAVING IN DROVES. SOME OF THEM , PROBABLY MORE TOLERANT OF CORN THAN I AM.

• January 16, 2012 8:39 AM CST
    • Fall 2001 -  I hear there is this new New York band, supposed to be amazing, supposed to be all "garage rock" but also influenced by two of my favorite bands, The Velvet Underground and Television.  Get to the 40 Watt, see 5 "outifits" and 5 "haircuts" preening around the stage, a sonic commercial for Urban Outfitters, no edge, no sex, no dirt, not even reverb, the crowd of pretentious Athens hype hounds nodding with encouragement. Left after two "songs," embarrassed, blasted Sister Ray in the car ride home in an attempt to erase my mistake...

• January 16, 2012 6:49 AM CST
    • My worst show though, do local bands count? My friend played my birthday party when I was 18 and I had to tell them to stop, I was sharing the party with some others who had their birthday at the same time but they forced me to tell her.

As for professional gigs, last year's Hurricane festival easily was crap. I had lots of fun don't get me wrong, but I never realised how bad mainstream rock festivals are and the last time I went to one I hadn't realised that there was a big world of less known stuff out there. Anyway I tried to stand through a Jimmy Eat World show (crap). Tried to get into a tent where Sick of it all were playing (was full). Incubus sucked, I know but some bands are ok live and thought I would give them a go. And Kasabian were certain that they were in Hamburg.

• January 16, 2012 6:43 AM CST
    • At least you got Marky Ramone, I saw "The Misfits" last year and it just had what's his name telling us we weren't rocking hard enough. Now the audience has a role to play but these guys were headlining the bloody festival and sucking at it. It was Ruhrpott Rodeo and according to the facebook site they have Marky Ramone's Blitzkreig this year with a comment about them being good. I'm hoping this is a joke.

John Battles said:

....I feel your pain , tho' I'm not a huge Misfits fan....I saw A "Misfits" like in '03. It was Jerry Only . Dez Cadena and Marky Ramone. I knew it was'nt The Misfits. But , between them ,  it seemed like it could have been a good Rock'n'Roll show . I would have been OK with that , but , they were TERRIBLE. the Damned and The Dickies were both lower on the bill , but , needless to say , beat that atrocity into submission..

THAT HONOR WOULD HAVE TO GO TO ANY STICKMEN WITH RAYGUNS GIG FROM 1982 - 87. iRONICALLY , ONE OF THE LAST SHOWS I EVER SAW THEM DO WAS TOLERABLE , ANYWAY.  HONORABLE MENTION WOULD HAVE TO GO TO THE MAKERS, AND , IT PAINS ME TO SAY THIS , BUT , SONNY BURGESS' LAST TOUR , PURE FAIR CIRCUIT .

I ACTUALLY MISSED THE BATUSIS THAT NIGHT , BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO. PEOPLE WERE LEAVING IN DROVES. SOME OF THEM , PROBABLY MORE TOLERANT OF CORN THAN I AM.

• January 15, 2012 9:47 PM CST
    • ....I feel your pain , tho' I'm not a huge Misfits fan....I saw A "Misfits" like in '03. It was Jerry Only . Dez Cadena and Marky Ramone. I knew it was'nt The Misfits. But , between them ,  it seemed like it could have been a good Rock'n'Roll show . I would have been OK with that , but , they were TERRIBLE. the Damned and The Dickies were both lower on the bill , but , needless to say , beat that atrocity into submission..

• January 16, 2012 9:06 AM CST
    • really short songs:

• January 16, 2012 8:53 AM CST
    • HA HA HA, A lot of people don't consider Texas part of the South , anymore ! I lived there for 12 years , and found the Deep South a lot friendlier... New Orleans , of course , is ultra - touristy , now , but , it still  has it's charm. It's funny that they're trying to make Austin more tourist - friendly , when you can't even hail a cab. It'll probably be a long time until they announce the lineup for The Ponderosa Stomp. I thought it was kind of weak , last year , so , I did'nt go , but I've gone for several years in a row. There's nothing else like it.

Shtbird said:

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. Awesome responses, super informative.

I definitely think I'll try and make SXSW, bring my bike and crash in the bed of my truck. It's a helluva drive (2000 miles, one way = ~1000$ in gas round trip) Maybe with a carpool and a couple rideshares, it could be affordable. Still, it sounds like it'll be an awesome time, and I've always wanted to check out Austin.

@ Battles - The Ponderosa Stomp sounds pretty rad too, if SXSW falls through. I've never been to New Orleans (or anywhere in the South, for that matter). Flying there and booking a hotel for a couple days would be far less expensive than trying to make it out to Austin for a week.

• January 15, 2012 11:56 PM CST
    • Lux doing voice work on Sponge Bob Squarepants. I haven't seen it yet, but Lux also did the voice of Rayo-X in the english version of the cartoon "Los Campeones de Lucha Libre"

• January 15, 2012 10:08 PM CST
    • They were? I have'nt seen that movie since it came out. I can't think of anything The Clash were in , besides their own "Rude Boy" , "The Punk Rock Movie" , and various documentaries....The Ramones were in a total of two movies , The Cramps , in a total of one (Unless you count the Miriam - era "Gang" picture...I forget the title.).

The Pistols were in "The Punk Rock Movie" , they'd already split up before "The Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle". I forget if there was more than TV footage of the actual band , together.

The Standells were also on "THE BING CROSBY SHOW" AND I THINK A COUPLE OF OTHERS , NOT TO MENTION MOVIES LIKE "ZEBRA IN THE KITCHEN" , "GET YOURSELF A COLLEGE GIRL.".... They spread themselves pretty thin before they finally scored a hit...

matthew rosedon said:

The Clash in the King of Comedy and widening it The Standells are in an episode of The Munsters

• January 16, 2012 7:41 AM CST
    • Hi,

im sylviasonicangels bass player and running the little label "speed rcds", we gonna tour in states and looking for a label to release our last songs or a compilation of our songs in vynil. we can help for finance, we'll be on tour on march.

more info at :

http://sonicangels.bandcamp.com/album/hardbreak

http://www.facebook.com/events/270856436285662/

thanks,

Sylvie

you can also send me a message to my email box here in garagepunkhideout or at sylvie.subsonic@free.fr

• January 16, 2012 6:01 AM CST
    • The The Datson Four:

• January 16, 2012 12:33 AM CST
    • Tsushimamire is always fun...not str8 RNR but Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her is fun, too.

enz

• January 15, 2012 9:59 PM CST
    • Good pick !   Bryan McMahon from The Electric Eels told me that Peter Laughner from Rocket from The Tombs and Pere Ubu would get gigs at Fraternity keg parties , and play "Sister Ray" for 20 or 30 minutes. Amazingly , that's not what killed him.

Mina said:

• January 15, 2012 9:55 PM CST
    • You're right , Mina. It's too easy to think up short Punk Rock songs....I would have mentioned "Inna - Gadda -Da Vida" , too ,  but , I think it clocked in at just under 20 minutes....Maybe not. When they toured in '96 (With the late Erik Braunn the only non - participant from the "Classic Lineup".) , THEY PARED THE SONG DOWN TO 12 OR 14 MINUES , IN AN EFFORT TO AVOID CLICHES....Members of the band still walked on and off the stage , while others took solos !

Mina said:

Haha yeah I was feeling goofy or something lol :D Cuz I mean it's easy to name a three cord punkrock song less than 2 minutes blablabla, this is more of a challenge! ;-)

John Battles said:

Nice one , Mina....HA HA HA..... I JUST GOT A CD WITH A TRACK BY KALIEDOSCOPE (THE AMERICAN BAND , W/DAVID LINDLEY) , IT'S JUST A LONGASS GUITAR JAM , BUT IT SOUNDS GREAT. Forgot the title...But , yeah , it's got to be 20 minutes.

Other extremely long songs I like (But never bother to look at the song length.)

Groundhogs - Cherry Red.

Golden Earring - Eight Miles High.

Mountain Bus - I Know You , Rider.

Pink Fairies - Uncle Harry's Last Freakout.

Quicksilver Messenger Service - Who Do You Love/How Do You Love.

Blue Cheer would sometime hit or exceed the 20 minute mark with their live rendition of "Doctor Please" , and , we're talking less than 10 years ago.

The first two important super - long songs were "I'm Going Home" by The Rolling Stones , and "Revelation" by Love. But ,which one really influenced the other is still in debate.