Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 15, 2012 8:02 PM CST
    • What is your worst show you have ever been to? Mine ws at last year's fun fun fun fest I stayed at the front of the black stage to watch danzig for 5 hours for nothing but disappointment he did play his full samhain set but only vampria and 5 seconds of night of the living dead before he got cut off and he blamed the promoters for not letting him go on with his full set when it was entierly his fault the next day I just sat at home and listened to my Misfits records by myself....

• January 15, 2012 10:57 AM CST
    • The Wildebeests are great! If you like Billy Childish, Masonics, and any of that Medway Sound, then the Wildebeests are your ticket.

The Pulsebeats said:

This is a great thread! Lots to hunt down. Anyone mention Scotland's The Wildebeests. Not sure exactly when they formed, but have been around a good while now. Dirty Water put out a retrospective last year that's definitely worth checking out.

• January 15, 2012 2:13 AM CST
    • When will you be in the bay? I might be able to help.

• January 15, 2012 7:16 AM CST
    • First: The Ramones at City Gardens in Trenton, NJ May 29, 1991

Best: The Ramones at The University of Maryland, Summer 1993 - the show started with only about five people in attendance - like my own private Ramones concert!

• January 15, 2012 3:56 AM CST
    • First show - Green Day in Manchester in 1994 on their Dookie tour.

Best show (by a country mile!) - Tom Waits a couple of years back in Edinburgh on his Glitter and Doom tour. Pure theatre.

• January 15, 2012 2:15 AM CST
    • There are 30 minute plus live versions of the Velvets doing Sister Ray out there (in both senses).

• January 14, 2012 8:15 PM CST
    • That's easy. Cheater Slicks "Thinkin' Some More" from the Whiskey LP. 27:29 of garage-punk savagery. Not for the faint of heart.

• January 14, 2012 5:47 PM CST
    • First few minutes are spacey pedal play, but once the music kicks in (~2:45), it's a good heavy time.

• January 14, 2012 2:32 PM CST
    • Nice one , Mina....HA HA HA..... I JUST GOT A CD WITH A TRACK BY KALIEDOSCOPE (THE AMERICAN BAND , W/DAVID LINDLEY) , IT'S JUST A LONGASS GUITAR JAM , BUT IT SOUNDS GREAT. Forgot the title...But , yeah , it's got to be 20 minutes.

Other extremely long songs I like (But never bother to look at the song length.)

Groundhogs - Cherry Red.

Golden Earring - Eight Miles High.

Mountain Bus - I Know You , Rider.

Pink Fairies - Uncle Harry's Last Freakout.

Quicksilver Messenger Service - Who Do You Love/How Do You Love.

Blue Cheer would sometime hit or exceed the 20 minute mark with their live rendition of "Doctor Please" , and , we're talking less than 10 years ago.

The first two important super - long songs were "I'm Going Home" by The Rolling Stones , and "Revelation" by Love. But ,which one really influenced the other is still in debate.

• January 15, 2012 2:04 AM CST
    • Yeah, they put out some cracking stuff. We're particularly fond of The Hipshakes and Wau y Los Arrrghs.

• January 14, 2012 7:46 PM CST
    • Sorry a bit drunk and cant be arsed to actually provide an instant veiw of this wonderful 80's punk rock legendary band/song. You will have to click on the link for Rudimentary madness!

• January 14, 2012 10:18 PM CST
    • Recently, Martin & Keith from Neon Hearts came to Japan for a tribute release. They did a few session live shows with the Japanese bands that covered their songs and on the last nite they also played a couple of Circles songs. Had no idea they were both also in the Circles after Neon Hearts folded, so it was a treat. I also saw The Fast Cars in Japan (about 5 years ago), a bit mod maybe more power pop.

• January 14, 2012 9:41 PM CST
    • Show #357: "R.I.P. 2011, Part 2 of 3" playlist:

In memory of Stanley Evans, singer (193?-2011) and...
      In memory of James Brown-Robinson, singer (1933?-2011)
      The Guytones - "Baby I Don't Care"

In memory of Nigel Pickering, singer/guitarist/bassist (1929-2011)
      Spanky & Our Gang - "Sunday Mornin'"

In memory of John Walker, singer/guitarist (1943-2011)
      The Walker Brothers - "Saddest Night In The World"

In memory of Cornell Dupree, guitarist (1942-2011)
      Cornell Dupree - "Teasin'"

In memory of Lloyd Knibb, drummer (1931-2011)
      The Skatalites - "Guns Of Navarone"

In memory of Joe Hill, singer (193?-2011)
      The Castaleers - "That's Why I Cry"

In memory of Curly Cooke, guitarist (1944-2011)
      Mother Earth - "Wait, Wait, Wait"

In memory of Martin Jenkins, violinist/singer/multi-instrumentalist (1946-2011)
      Dando Shaft - "Coming Home To Me"

In memory of Kathy Kirby, singer (1938-2011)
      Kathy Kirby - "Please Help Me, I'm Falling"

In memory of Jeff Conaway, singer/guitarist/actor (1950-2011)
      The 3 1/2 - "Angel Baby (Don't You Ever Leave Me)"

In memory of Gil Scott-Heron, singer/poet/songwriter/guitarist/keyboardist (1949-2011)
      Gil Scott-Heron - "Home Is Where The Hatred Is"

In memory of Andrew Gold, singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalist (1951-2011)
      Andrew Gold - "Thank You For Being A Friend"

In memory of Benny Spellman, singer (1931-2011)
      Benny Spellman - "Lipstick Traces (On A Cigarette)"

In memory of Kevin Kavanaugh, keyboardist/singer (1951-2011)
      Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes - "I Don't Want To Go Home"

In memory of Buddy Gask, singer (1948-2011)
      Showaddywaddy - "Hey Rock 'N' Roll"

In memory of Alan Rubin, trumpeter/hornist (1943-2011)
      Blood, Sweat & Tears - "Spinning Wheel"

In memory of Jerry Mayo, trumpeter (1935?-2011)
      Freddie Bell & The Bellboys - "Giddy Up A Ding Dong"

In memory of Carl Gardner, singer (1928-2011) and...
      In memory of Jerry Leiber, songwriter/producer (1933-2011)
      The Coasters - "Poison Ivy"

In memory of Mack Self, singer/guitarist/songwriter (1930-2011)
      Mack Self - "Easy To Love"

In memory of Wild Man Fischer, singer/songwriter (1944-2011)
      Wild Man Fischer - "Merry-Go-Round"

In memory of Clarence Clemons, saxophonist/singer (1942-2011)
      Bruce Springsteen - "Born To Run"

In memory of Manuel Galban, guitarist/pianist (1931-2011)
      Los Zafiros - "Cuando Yo La Conoci"

In memory of Cornel Fugaru, singer/composer/multi-instrumentalist (1940-2011)
      Sincron - "Pe Linga Plopii Fara Sot"

In memory of Francois Cahen, keyboardist (1944-2011)
      Zao - "Shardaz"

In memory David Carr, keyboardist/songwriter/producer (1943-2011)
      The Fortunes - "You've Got Your Troubles"

In memory of Eric Delaney, drummer/percussionist (1924-2011)
      Eric Delaney's Big Beat Six - "Big Beat"

In memory of Gil Bernal, saxophonist (1931-2011)
      Duane Eddy & His Twangy Guitar - "Rebel-'Rouser"

In memory of Dan Peek, singer/guitarist/songwriter (1950-2011)
      America - "Lonely People"

In memory of Gene McDaniels, singer/songwriter (1935-2011)
      Gene McDaniels - "Walk With A Winner"

In memory of Jimmy Evans, singer/bassist/multi-instrumentalist (1936?-2011)
      Jimmy Evans - "The Joint's Really Jumpin'"

In memory of Conrad Schnitzler, keyboardist (1937-2011)
      Tangerine Dream - "Ashes To Ashes"

In memory of Marshall Grant, bassist (1928-2011)
      Johnny Cash & Tennessee Two - "I Walk The Line"

In memory of Joe Yamanaka, singer/harmonica player (1946-2011)
      Flower Travellin' Band - "Satori Part 1"

In memory of Clive John, keyboardist/singer/songwriter (1945-2011)
      Man - "Empty Room"

In memory of Brooke Ostrander, keyboardist (195?-2011)
      Wicked Lester - "Simple Type/She"

In memory of Jason Eddie, singer (1943-2011)
      Jason Eddie & The Centremen - "Singing The Blues"

In memory of Willie "Big Eyes" Smith, singer/harmonica player/drummer (1936-2011)
      Bo Diddley - "Diddy Wah Diddy"

In memory of John Du Cann, guitarist/singer/songwriter (1950-2011)
      Atomic Rooster - "I Can't Take It No More"

In memory of Jumpin' Jack Neal, bassist (1930-2011)
      Gene Vincent & His Blue Caps - "Lotta Lovin'"

In memory of Clarence Johnson, singer/producer (1942-2011)
      The Chi-Lites - "I'm So Jealous"

In memory of Cuby Muskee, singer (1941-2011)
      Cuby & The Blizzards - "Stumble And Fall"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/357.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/357.mp3
      THIS SHOW MAY NOT BE IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• January 14, 2012 8:19 PM CST
    • Just type "Northern soul" (& maybe stick in; RnB/R&B) in youtube...

• January 14, 2012 7:16 PM CST
    • A cheap place to stay - again, off the radar:

http://www.hotelallandale.com/

Check/post on the Austin Craigslist, some folks rent out their apts./spare bedroom/houses for sxsw.

Shtbird said:

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. Awesome responses, super informative.

I definitely think I'll try and make SXSW, bring my bike and crash in the bed of my truck. It's a helluva drive (2000 miles, one way = ~1000$ in gas round trip) Maybe with a carpool and a couple rideshares, it could be affordable. Still, it sounds like it'll be an awesome time, and I've always wanted to check out Austin.

@ Battles - The Ponderosa Stomp sounds pretty rad too, if SXSW falls through. I've never been to New Orleans (or anywhere in the South, for that matter). Flying there and booking a hotel for a couple days would be far less expensive than trying to make it out to Austin for a week.

• January 14, 2012 5:31 PM CST
    • Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. Awesome responses, super informative.

I definitely think I'll try and make SXSW, bring my bike and crash in the bed of my truck. It's a helluva drive (2000 miles, one way = ~1000$ in gas round trip) Maybe with a carpool and a couple rideshares, it could be affordable. Still, it sounds like it'll be an awesome time, and I've always wanted to check out Austin.

@ Battles - The Ponderosa Stomp sounds pretty rad too, if SXSW falls through. I've never been to New Orleans (or anywhere in the South, for that matter). Flying there and booking a hotel for a couple days would be far less expensive than trying to make it out to Austin for a week.

• January 14, 2012 2:46 PM CST
    • $675 ?!  THAT'S INSANE. When I went , yes , it was almost 20 years ago , but it was about $80 , so , I guessed , today , it'd be more like $200 or just over. They still have free events , but , I don't know who's taking cash , at the door , if anybody...

The only way to do this , on the cheap - er , would be to stay with a friend , and I know a lot of people can't do that. I CALL IT $X$W , NOW. I KNOW THEY'RE COUGHING UP THE MAJOR ACTS , BUT THEY'RE THERE TO PROMOTE THEMSELVES and their labels. Nothing wrong with that , but I'd never pay that kind of money , and certainly not when I know it's a gamble that I'll even get to see the shows I'd really want to.... At least , with festivals like the late , great , Green Bay Rockin' 50's Fest or The Ponderosa Stomp , you're guaranteed you can see anyone on the bill , and some fests , like The Stomp , have affordable hotel rooms nearby , as part of a promotional tie - in.....I'd say , save your money and wait for The Stomp , depending on where your tastes are at.

Shtbird said:

So I checked out the website (Never attended a music festival of any sort). Lineup looks pretty fun, I've seen a handful of them on little west coast tours.

But 675 for a Music Badge?

and Hotel Rooms at 150+ a night?

We're talking at least 1500 (including travel, food, drinks, etc.) I don't know about you guys, but I'm dirt poor working class. I can't afford that shit.

Does anyone know of a cheaper way to do this?