Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 17, 2012 9:49 PM CST
    • I just checked out the brandoni web site and noticed they sell Vox bodies.  Are there any other suppliers that sell Vox type bodies?

John

Bo Loser said:

you should go to the brandoni factory man as you live in england they might have those Nos phantoms for cheep  http://brandoniguitars.co.uk/contact.asp  and while your there ask if they will ship parts to australia, i want to build a vox delta :)

dying slowly said:

the only burns ive seen our out of my range witch cant go above 800 or so and ill be saving for ages then, i would love of one of the new old stock phantoms i saw one i wanted so much recently white with white pickguard 6-string and trem!

(ps i dont like strats i find them clicheyd andi dont like the bridges and ijust prefer the tele twang)

• January 17, 2012 3:52 PM CST
    • BBurns Bison 62, Eastwood Wandre, or Jag HH would look the part...

• January 17, 2012 9:36 PM CST
    • I meant The Invaders , not The Intruders , you know, band names that could either be Soul OR Garage , SO , buyer beware , unless  you like both.

John Battles said:

I HEAR YA. I JUST EXPECTED A LOT MORE OUT OF MARKY , I SAW HIM SEVERAL TIMES WITH THE RAMONES , AND A COUPLE OF TIMES WITH THE INTRUDERS. HE WAS ALWAYS VERY PROFESSIONAL. MAYBE IT JUST WAS'NT A GOOD PAIRING. HE JUST SOUNDED REALLY OFF. I CAN'T BELIEVE JERRY ONLY IS STILL DOING IT. I MEAN, IF HE HAD THIS GREAT FUCKING BAND AND A PROPER SINGER OR SOMETHING , WELL , MAYBE...  
      Mike Humsgreen said:

At least you got Marky Ramone, I saw "The Misfits" last year and it just had what's his name telling us we weren't rocking hard enough. Now the audience has a role to play but these guys were headlining the bloody festival and sucking at it. It was Ruhrpott Rodeo and according to the facebook site they have Marky Ramone's Blitzkreig this year with a comment about them being good. I'm hoping this is a joke.

John Battles said:

....I feel your pain , tho' I'm not a huge Misfits fan....I saw A "Misfits" like in '03. It was Jerry Only . Dez Cadena and Marky Ramone. I knew it was'nt The Misfits. But , between them ,  it seemed like it could have been a good Rock'n'Roll show . I would have been OK with that , but , they were TERRIBLE. the Damned and The Dickies were both lower on the bill , but , needless to say , beat that atrocity into submission..

OK , IT WAS'NT THE WORST SHOW I EVER SAW.....

THAT HONOR WOULD HAVE TO GO TO ANY STICKMEN WITH RAYGUNS GIG FROM 1982 - 87. iRONICALLY , ONE OF THE LAST SHOWS I EVER SAW THEM DO WAS TOLERABLE , ANYWAY.  HONORABLE MENTION WOULD HAVE TO GO TO THE MAKERS, AND , IT PAINS ME TO SAY THIS , BUT , SONNY BURGESS' LAST TOUR , PURE FAIR CIRCUIT .

I ACTUALLY MISSED THE BATUSIS THAT NIGHT , BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO. PEOPLE WERE LEAVING IN DROVES. SOME OF THEM , PROBABLY MORE TOLERANT OF CORN THAN I AM.

• January 17, 2012 12:10 PM CST
    • Worst show was not a punk show, but New Order on their Low Life tour. Coulda just stayed home and listened to the LP, and they had zero stage presence. Still like Warsaw and Joy Division, though.

• January 17, 2012 11:51 AM CST
    • Alison:

Saw that same band a coupla years after you did, with my kids as they wanted to see the band. The best part was the songs they played in the intermission before this band started playing...ie early Damned, early SLF, Ruts, and lots of other cool 77 punk sounds. It was a great leadup to a HUGE disappointment as the band appeared about as bored as i was watching/hearing them....zzzzz.....

Alison said:

Fall 2001 -  I hear there is this new New York band, supposed to be amazing, supposed to be all "garage rock" but also influenced by two of my favorite bands, The Velvet Underground and Television.  Get to the 40 Watt, see 5 "outifits" and 5 "haircuts" preening around the stage, a sonic commercial for Urban Outfitters, no edge, no sex, no dirt, not even reverb, the crowd of pretentious Athens hype hounds nodding with encouragement. Left after two "songs," embarrassed, blasted Sister Ray in the car ride home in an attempt to erase my mistake...

• January 17, 2012 9:30 PM CST
    • I'd probably narrow it down to a Cramps bootleg , but , that would be too easy. Here's a few that rate high with me -

The Troggs - Live , Whisky A Go Go . Fuckin' blistering set , ca. the official release , "Live at Max's" , BUT , SEEMINGLY A LITTLE LATER, putting it at maybe 1980. Much better song selection and edgier performances in general (Not that "Max's" is'nt worth a shit. It's very good. Just a few too many covers.), and the usual Trogg humor-

REG : "EFF THAT YOONG BARMAID IS AROYND WITH A GLASS OF WATER , OY'D LOVE ONE.".

CHRIS (?) : Even if she's aroynd WITHOOT a glass of water !".

It sounds like Chris Britton on this recording , don't know if he'd rejoined The Troggs , yet.

Ramones - Live Cambridge , 1976. One of the best Ramones boots I've ever heard . Maybe THEE best. Plus side : GREAT SOUND , ULTRA - RAW BASHIN' PERFORMANCES , AND A RARE LIVE "BABYSITTER".  Down side : You get to hear some jock douchebags who are probably wealthy businessmen , today , beating the crap out of some of the members of DMZ.

Roky Erickson and The Aliens - "You Will Believe in Ghosts" This 2 LP live set , believed to be from 1977 features the classic Aliens lineup in Top form , with Roky in great voice , improvising on occasion with horrific results ( "I'm gonna break every bone in your body , lord , and I know just how to say it to you.....I told you I would see...you die ! Nothing, it , My God , God almighty , oh , God , My God !" ("Before in The Beginning")

But his stage raps are thebest - " One day , Mary Shelley and a group of friends were talking , and , all of a sudden , Frankenstein hit them , it was the scariest place imaginable.....So , this is Frankenstein II , Dracula II is coming...coming out , in tree form. Dr. Acula  .".

" This is a cameo picture that you left....about 100 Quilion years ago. The only kinds of stories I like to read are like by Ambrose Bierce...and things about things with big eyes , watching you. What if IT WAS THAT ? THAT'S A HORSE OF A DIFFERENT COLOR. ".

Plus side : The extremely rare "I Know How To Love You" (It's not even in the "Openers 2" book. ), and a terrific version of "Bo Diddley is a Headhunter " .

Down side : No "You're Gonna Miss Me" or "Splash One " , but life does go on.

This set , believed to be from Germany , was sold at Austin's outstanding and now - defunct Record Exchange (Not exclusively) . They charged a little more than they had to for it , so they could give Roky some money from the copies they sold.

• January 17, 2012 3:29 PM CST
    • Radio Birdmans "Rock 'n' Roll War" and Cure @ Ontario Theater, Washington nov 16:th 1984.

• January 17, 2012 11:26 AM CST
    • What is your favorite live/bootleg you have gotten over the years? Mine are Tales from the Crypt by The Mummies and Prime Directive Exterminate the Whole Ruman Race by The Misfits (even though the sound quality is complete shit.)

• January 17, 2012 7:20 PM CST
    • I read the goodbye post.

It makes me sad a little.

But I understand.

• January 17, 2012 5:34 PM CST
    • Click here for story:

http://www.lookoutrecords.com/2012/01/hard-to-say-goodbye.html

22 years ago Lookout Records was my favorite label around. The Queers, Screeching Weasel, Crimpshrine, Operation Ivy, Mr. T Experience and Pinhead Gunpowder were all fave bands of mine, and I dug Green Day in their early days, too. The "Can of Pork" and "Thing That Ate Floyd" comps got tons of spins at the Kopp household. Then later, after my tastes started moving into wilder, noisier, and trashier territories, I was reminded of how cool they once were as they put out records by the Donnas, Hi-Fives, Smugglers, Groovie Ghoulies, Go-Nuts and Phantom Surfers. I hadn't really paid much attention to the label over the past several years, so I was unaware that they'd ceased releasing new stuff back in 2005. Cathy Bauer, one of the owners, was from St. Louis, and booked punk shows alongside myself and others at the Bernard Pub and other local venues.

Sad to see them go. RIP.

• January 17, 2012 2:43 PM CST
    • Kool! & I can read it all! (cos 'Google Translate' automatically popped up on my browser!)
      Gintaras said:

I think pretty much everything here fits the description)) unfortunately the forum's in russian, but just click on any topic to witness the mad creations of soviet engineers.

• January 17, 2012 12:57 PM CST
    • I know the guys who own this place:

http://oliviasvintageguitars.com/index.php

Most of the pricing is for collectors but once in a while...

I've visited a few times and got a Realistic (!) violin bass at a reasonable price.  It plays great, looks cool, and the sound!

• January 17, 2012 2:31 PM CST

• Here's some updates with www.zorchradio.com:

Recently repressed Episode 13, which was DJ Zorch's debut on the show. Most recently in episode 80, he phoned in for another guest DJ session to plug a record party in SoCal. He brought another record geek alongside of him (Astro138) and they played lots of 50's and 60's wax. RnB, Garage, Instros, Exotica kind of thing, not too much on the 'billy, though. Figured it was appropriate to bring Ep 13 back as well.

Episode 79, we gave away tickets to see a killer surf band called Thee Cormans. There's also a review posted of the gig in the brand new REVIEWS section. Soon to get fatter. There's an old post from this forum re-hashed as a review also, regarding The Curs and Dr. Bizarro's Victims. A review of a recent Reverend Horton Heat/Supersuckers gig is to be published later this week.

As far as social media is concerned, found a new site strictly devoted to beer. Cool site where you "check in" to a drink and rate them from mobile. Figured I drink enough beer that I might as well get an inch of promotion out of it. So, now you can be friends with Zorch Radio on Untappd. http://untappd.com/user/ZorchRadio

You can subscribe to the blog and podcast here: http://feeds.feedburner.com/wordpress/DQoE

• January 17, 2012 1:03 PM CST
    • Yes great find for me....:):)

Mina said:

^ Haha you found it? :D

• January 17, 2012 12:02 PM CST
    • wowwww!!!! amazing tune Mina!

Mina said:

If you cut out the laughing at the end, this counts as a 2 min. song. :D

• January 17, 2012 11:48 AM CST
    • Funny no-one mentioned WINO yet:):):):):):)!!!

• January 17, 2012 7:47 AM CST
    • More favorites:

• January 17, 2012 5:27 AM CST
    • drunk by jimmy liggins (this could go on forever...i have done 2 completely different 2 hour radio shows of these records, and still not played em all...

• January 17, 2012 5:12 AM CST
    • Beer Bust Blues by the Scotsmen gotta be a garage classic! 'Well its Friday night an thats my time to howl!' Rawk!!!

• January 17, 2012 6:32 AM CST
    • That looks cool (Randy Rampage sure looks rough from his pretty boy DOA days).

That Chicago movie looks good too altho I guess it's been out for a while since it says coming in 2007.  Anyone seen that?