Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 21, 2012 6:52 PM CST
    • I think it was because Jackson was a gobal soul legend, where as Glitter was more of a cult artist who's appeal was quintesssentially English.

sleazy said:

Funny how that BASTARD of Michael Jackson was never convicted of being a paedophile, while GG was.....perhaps MJ just had more $$$ to buy off the judges, HHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:):)

• January 21, 2012 2:35 PM CST
    • Funny how that BASTARD of Michael Jackson was never convicted of being a paedophile, while GG was.....perhaps MJ just had more $$$ to buy off the judges, HHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:):)

• January 21, 2012 6:48 PM CST
    • Sad news... of course, being here in Adelaide, I knew the name but not much else... thanx  for the insight (and the photo of the "tree"... very cool!)

We're all excited here at the news that the Sonics will finally be coming here and playing in a couple of months (unfortunately, most bands skip Adelaide when they come to this country, probably coz all the agencies are based on the East coast and they forget we even exist.... but bands who DO come here usually have a great time and do return shows... just ask Thee Oh Sees etc!)... hoping to do an interview for 3D Radio when they come, so will definitely ask about Kearney... can't wait!

• January 21, 2012 6:15 PM CST
    • Yea, that was the one. It was a great show. That boot was recorded with a DAT recorder from the balcony as I recall. I saw him more than once at the Roxy, I think the other time was the year before this.

• January 21, 2012 5:01 PM CST
    • Are you talking about the set with The Idols - Jerry Nolan , Arthur Kane and Barry Jones ("The Black Thunders".) ? Man , that was one of the best ! When he was on , he was on , and Johnny's in his glory , there !

Mike said:

"BOOTLEGGING THE BOOTLEGGERS" AS JOHNNY THUNDERS CALLED IT.    THERE'S ANOTHER GOOD EXAMPLE , THUNDERS MADE HIS OPINIONS ON BOOTLEGS KNOWN ,"

Yea I saw Thunders a few times in the mid 80's too. One show was at the Roxy here in LA which a pretty good bootleg CD was made several years later, which Thunders sister then "bootlegged" the bootleggers and put it out legitly.

• January 21, 2012 5:38 PM CST
    • Also; Johnny Otis who discovered etta james and tommy ardolino from nrbq. Thanks for posting the link.

• January 21, 2012 7:35 AM CST
    • What an amazing woman. She's probably scatting with the R&B greats in the sky as we speak.

• January 21, 2012 7:31 AM CST
    • Indeed it is - RIP

• January 21, 2012 5:34 AM CST
    • R.I.P
      An r&b dynamite! Sad news...

• January 21, 2012 4:48 PM CST
    • That's so weird ....If anyone would like to read more about the weirdness surrounding The Bad Brains , go to www.roctober.com ,and click on "Black Punk Time" . I did'nt write the (Naturally) dominant piece on The Bad Brains , but I threw in a few things that were used in it. My Brother's band , The Howling Dervishes, opened for The Bad Brains at the legendary Hot Klub in Dallas , in 1982. I could'nt go , I had tests to study for, and was still only 18. The mostly West Indian crowd , expecting Reggae , responded coldly to my Brother's band. I did'nt even know the local West Indian / Rastafarian community were even AWARE of The Bad Brains at the time.    When The Bad Brains took the stage , they did 4 or 5 of their Punk Rock songs , then played an otherwise all - Reggae set , which my Brother said was good , but , I figured the pitiful few people who knew of the band (Outside of the East Coast.) knew them more for "Pay To Cum" , "Banned in D.C." , "The Big Takeover"  , etc.

Four years later (After H.R. got out of jail.) , the band , of course , toured on back of the SST album , "I Against I" (I think. Traded my copy in , years ago , tho' I guess I would'nt mind having it , now.). They played twice in '86 in Dallas. Some weird shit went down , like the fact that there were , like 4 opening acts (None of 'em HC , if you were wondering.), and it was cutting into their time. But , both shows I saw were great. I almost did'nt see the second show , because my friend and I were broke , or damn nearly , so , we went and saw Reverend Horton Heat across the street , as that was free , or maybe $2 or something. When his set was over , we walked across the street , and I found a $10 bill , just enough to get us both into The Bad Brains show, after it had started. Later , when the show was letting out  , someone shot a gun off from a roof , across the street , smashing the club's large picture window , but , fortunately , the bullet did'nt actually hit anyone. The only casualty was a drunk who got cut by flying glass. He just dusted himself off and walked away. My friend kept the the drunk's discarded , but nearly full , half - pint bottle. I did'nt say my friend had a lot of class.   

The Hook Up said:

The worst show I went to has a couple of odd points to it. I went to see Bad Brains (or Soul Brains as they were known then) about ten years ago. The messed up part was the band were absolutely stunning. Just perfect. What made it the worst show was, it cost $20 to get in and they played for nine minutes. H.R. came back out and sat behind the drum kit attempting to play drums while smiling at a girl in the crowd. He kept waving at her until she waved back, which he took as some sort of green light, so he went into the crowd and slow danced with her with no music playing. The band came back out and yelled at him to come back up. He eventually got back on stage and they played half of "Banned in D.C" and then H.R. left. Earl accompanied my friends to another bar and hung out with us, which was amazing. I later found out that the band got into a fist fight with H.R. hours after the show. So, in short: Amazing band. Nine minute set. Total weirdness for a half hour then another forty seconds of music. But hanging out with Earl was incredible.

• January 21, 2012 7:38 AM CST
    • Easy to answer: The Smiths at Hammersmith Odean, 1985. Couldn't hear the band; the place was full of wiggling, Smithhead zombies singing along to every word. Scary scary scary in an uncool way. Left 1/2 way through out of sheer boredom.

• January 21, 2012 3:56 PM CST
    • Playlist for 1-20-12

Download or stream the entire Jan. 20 show right here. Find Zero Hour on Facebook here.

Modern Kicks – The Exploding Hearts
      I Brought Kicks – The Figgs
      King of Kicks – The Woggles
      Teenage Kicks – Thee Headcoatees
      Route 66 – Guitar Wolf

Rehab – The Sweet Zeros
      Tough Enough – Johnny Otis & the Jayos
      Willie & the Hand Jive – ’68 Comeback
      Come on Honey – Alex Chilton
      She’s a Mover (alternate version) – Big Star
      19th Nervous Breakdown – The Humpers

Rev it Up – Spanking Charlene
      Get Up & Move – The Live Ones
      Gambled & Lost – Terry Anderson & the Olympic Ass-Kickin’ Team
      All Made Up (And Nowhere to Go) – The Booze

Old MacDonald – Dukes of Hamburg
      Ready for Action – Mexican Moustache

Local Lunchbox
      Run Engine Run – Trapper Schoepp & The Shades
      Out of Love – Trolley
      Don’t Wanna Talk About It – Ian Olvera & the Sleepwalkers
      Next to You – the Sugar Stems

Foggy Notion – Downbeat 5
      Bored Out of My Brains – Personal & the Pizzas
      I Got Love – King Khan Experience
      Zach – The Ding Dongs
      Weekend – The Ding Dongs
      Rock ‘n Roll Party – The Creeping Ivies
      Keep Your Hands Off – Big Foot Chester

Bullet Proof Nothing – Ty Seagall
      I Drink (But My Guitar Doesn’t) – Magnetix
      Fifteen Minutes of Fame – Figures of Light
      Just in Time – Uncle Butcher & His One Man Band
      She Devil – Human Trash

Southern Girls – Bangs
      I Wanna Join the James Gang – The Gaye Blades
      Little Town Crier – The Someloves
      You Tore Me Down – Paul Collins
      Everything I See – The Higher State
      Diggin’ Bones – The Go Wows
      Watch Dog – Etta James
      Joyride – The Moto-Gators

Thee Fine Lines interview
      Nerves – The Fine Lines
      Can’t Escape – Thee Fine Lines
      I Tried So Hard – The Chaparrals 
      Too Much of You – Thee Fine Lines
      You Make Me Go Out of Mind – Thee Fine Lines

Part of You – Thursday’s Children
      Don’t Roll Your Eyes – The Barreracudas
      She’ll Do You Wrong – The Bomboras

• January 21, 2012 3:46 PM CST
    • a new breed garagepunk tune that I dug so much I had to cover it in my beat combo...& it's under a minute too baby!

• January 21, 2012 3:44 PM CST
    • Really dig me some Okmoniks! Super second this spin!

Pheck said:

• January 21, 2012 1:25 PM CST
    • Buzzcocks - Love You More.

Dirty Lovers - All I Want.

Two of my absolute, nailed-on, favourites.

• January 21, 2012 2:49 PM CST
    • ........so it's goodbye to Etta James......RIP ma'am and thanx for inspiring one of my fave singers, Janis Joplin.....

• January 21, 2012 12:33 PM CST
    • Any of you ladies noticed a change in guy's attitude towards chicks with guitars?

• January 21, 2012 11:43 AM CST
    • Thanks for the info and the tune. I heard it on you tube also. Very good tune. I am new to the hideout. that was my first post. Take care, Dave

Bry Nylon said:

dunno - could try maybe askin' Simon or John in my pals list - all I know is that thecapn crunch & the crew seriously rock

• January 21, 2012 11:23 AM CST
    • im sorry for yesterday'reply, i was druuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnk!i do not know why the fuck they didnt release that song back then...maybe they thought it wasn't of the same feel of LA Woman's list.That's what i think.Long live Jim!!;)

Chris Henniker said:

I think I have a copy of his film script in a Jim Morrison anthology, so why hasn't anyone made it yet?

• January 21, 2012 10:56 AM CST
    • Show #358: "R.I.P. 2011, Part 3 of 3" playlist:

In memory Leonard Dillon, singer/songwriter (1942-2011)
      The Ethiopians - "Free Man"

In memory of Sylvia Robinson, singer/guitarist/producer/songwriter (1936-2011)
      Mickey & Sylvia - "Love Is Strange"

In memory of Marv Tarplin, guitarist/songwriter (1941-2011)
      The Miracles - "The Tracks Of My Tears"

In memory of David Bedford, keyboardist/singer/composer/arranger (1937-2011)
      Kevin Ayers & The Whole World - "Rheinhardt & Geraldine/Colores Para Delores"

In memory of Daisy DeBolt, singer/guitarist/multi-instrumentalist (1945-2011)
      Fraser & DeBolt with Ian Guenther - "Fraser And DeBolt Theme"

In memory of Bert Jansch, singer/guitarist/songwriter (1943-2011)
      The Pentangle - "No Love Is Sorrow"

In memory of Donald Banks, singer (193?-2011)
      The Tymes - "So Much In Love"

In memory of Eddie Balandas, trumpeter (1952-2011)
      Looking Glass - "Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)"

In memory of Kim Brown, singer/guitarist (1945-2011)
      The Renegades - "Take A Heart"

In memory of Al Vescovo, steel guitarist (1936-2011)
      The Beach Boys - "Diamond Head"

In memory of Paul Leka, songwriter/pianist/arranger/producer (1941-2011)
      The Left Banke - "Bryant Hotel"

In memory of Chuck Ruff, drummer (1951-2011)
      The Edgar Winter Group - "Frankenstein"

In memory of Bob Brunning, bassist/guitarist/pianist (1943-2011)
      Brunning Sunflower Blues Band - "Uranus"

In memory of Fred Ferrara, singer/guitarist (1940-2011)
      Brooklyn Bridge - "Worst That Could Happen"

In memory of Gene Kurtz, bassist/songwriter (1943-2011)
      Edgar Winter - "A Different Game"

In memory of Rory Mack, guitarist/singer/keyboardist (1950-2011)
      The Unrelated Segments - "Cry, Cry, Cry"

In memory of Joe Frazier, boxer/singer (1944-2011)
      Joe Frazier - "If You Go, Stay Gone"

In memory of Andy Tielman, singer/guitarist (1936-2011)
      The Tielman Brothers - "Little Hanschen Twist"

In memory of Cappy Lewis, singer (1939-2011)
      The Six Teens - "A Casual Look"

In memory of Mark "Moogy" Klingman, keyboardist/songwriter (1950-2011)
      Todd Rundgren - "Hello It's Me"

In memory of Gary Garcia, singer/songwriter (1948-2011)
      Animal Jack - "Gotta Hear The Beat"

In memory of Carl Cherry, singer (193?-2011)
      Carl Cherry - "The Itch"

In memory of Kristian Schultze, keyboardist (1945-2011)
      Passport - "Things To Come"

In memory of Barry Llewellyn, singer (1947-2011)
      The Heptones - "Pretty Looks Isn't All"

In memory of Keef Hartley, drummer (1944-2011)
      The Artwoods - "Oh My Love"

In memory of Howard Tate, singer (1939-2011)
      Howard Tate - "8 Days On The Road"

In memory of Chico Edwards, singer (1935-2011)
      The Spinners - "I'll Always Love You

In memory of Ronald Mosely, singer/guitarist (1939-2011)
      Ruby & The Romantics - "Our Day Will Come"

In memory of Hubert Sumlin, guitarist/singer (1931-2011)
      Howlin' Wolf - "Smoke Stack Lightning"

In memory of Dobie Gray, singer/songwriter/guitarist/multi-instrumentalist (1940-2011)
      Pollution - "This Feelin' Won't Last Long"

In memory of Alan Styles, roadie (1936-2011)
      Pink Floyd - "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast: a) Rise And Shine, b) Sunny Side Up, c) Morning Glory"

In memory of Dick Sims, keyboardist (1950-2011)
      Eric Clapton - "Let It Grow"

In memory of Sean Bonniwell, singer/guitarist/songwriter (1940-2011)
      The Music Machine - "Talk Talk"

In memory of Jim Sherwood, saxophonist/singer (1942-2011)
      The Mothers Of Invention - "My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama"

In memory of Robert Lee Dickey aka Bobby Purify, singer (1939-2011)
      James & Bobby Purify - "I'm Your Puppet"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/358.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/358.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• January 21, 2012 7:32 AM CST
    • First Show? Peter Tosh and Rolling Stones I think... Live, Outdoors, Warm summer's day. Awesome when you're a young teen hanging out alone with your bestie and free to scream your guts out.

First Punk Show? Had to be either The Clash (lots of sweat, spit and throwing of lit cigarettes, with Strummer yelling at us, "hit me fucker, hit me") or Cramps/Patti Smith. Can't remember which came first, both I believe were at the Aragon Ballroom, Chicago. I think my ears are still ringing from The Clash. Or was it the Jam at some horrible basement club in Rush Street? Too bloody long ago to remember, being the dark ages and all. All I remember of the Jam show was it was almost entirely attended by writhing, jumping 15-yr-old boys. Good times.

Best Show? Too many good ones. I hope the best one is yet to come.

• January 21, 2012 7:26 AM CST
    • You too man! Just helpin keep garage rock alive and destroying the air waves!