Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 21, 2012 5:30 AM CST
    • I Asked the jailer man, said what my friend do? Well he was crawlin' round Main Street like a tiger in the zoo!

• January 21, 2012 4:57 AM CST
    • Can't argue with "Young, Loud & Snotty" as #1. Does it get any better that year than 'Sonic Reducer'? (if memory serves?)

• January 21, 2012 4:16 AM CST
    • It's Close!  ...and it is good!

• January 21, 2012 1:06 AM CST
    • Oh and I remember that thing from when I was an anxious little kid wandering alone in the cold dark night of the gloomy early 80's :

Perfect to fall asleep and never wake up...

Sorry. ,(

Let's go back to the garage and wash our ears with thousands of really short, fast tunes now !!! ;)

• January 21, 2012 1:00 AM CST
    • Of course !!!

(Sister Ray was a great pick too by the way !)

Jon said:

agree!

kopper said:

That's easy. Cheater Slicks "Thinkin' Some More" from the Whiskey LP. 27:29 of garage-punk savagery. Not for the faint of heart.

• January 21, 2012 12:57 AM CST
    • And that's funny ! ;)

Haven't found any video but here's my pick :

"BLACK UNITY" by Pharoah Sanders.

Not sure you could call this a song but I love it, it lasts almost 40 minutes and it ain't no prog shit !

Mina said:

P.S. This thread is an answer to the other one about your fave 2 minute song. I just added a zero. :D

• January 20, 2012 11:17 PM CST
    • "BOOTLEGGING THE BOOTLEGGERS" AS JOHNNY THUNDERS CALLED IT.    THERE'S ANOTHER GOOD EXAMPLE , THUNDERS MADE HIS OPINIONS ON BOOTLEGS KNOWN ,"

Yea I saw Thunders a few times in the mid 80's too. One show was at the Roxy here in LA which a pretty good bootleg CD was made several years later, which Thunders sister then "bootlegged" the bootleggers and put it out legitly.

• January 20, 2012 7:12 PM CST
    • The former I have , it IS really good. I've got one called "Eureka" with all these great covers - "Let The Kids Dance" , "King of The Surf" , "L.A. Woman" , "T.V.EYE" (of course.) and "You're Gonna Miss Me" (But , of course !), but the sound is pretty bad , like it's a dupe of a dupe , not necessarily a bad recrding to begin with .... I can't help thinking there's a better version , out there.....

johnny anderson said:

Radio Birdmans "Rock 'n' Roll War" and Cure @ Ontario Theater, Washington nov 16:th 1984.

• January 20, 2012 7:06 PM CST
    • I KNOW WHICH ONE YOU MEAN , MIKE , AND I THINK THAT WAS FROM 1968. I HAVE A COUPLE OF SIMILAR BOOTS ON THE WHO , AS WELL.   I WAS JUST TALKING , TOO , WITH ANOTHER FRIEND , HERE , ABOUT A SIMILAR BUZZCOCKS BOOT , I THINK IT'S CALLED "TIME'S UP" , HOWARD DEVOTO - ERA STUFF. IT SCREAMS "LEGIT" , GREAT SOUND , BEAUTIFUL PACKAGING , A DEVOTO/SHELLEY INTERVIEW 45 THAT SEEMED TO BE MADE JUST FOR THE RELEASE . TURNS OUT , IT WAS A BOOT.

"BACK IN THE DAY" (HA HA) , RECORD STORES , HEAD SHOPS , TOO , WOULD CARRY THOSE BOOTLEGS , MANY OF WHICH HAD NO ARTWORK . MORE AND MORE , THEY TURN UP IN USED RECORD STORES , SOMETIMES THEY'RE RE - PRESSINGS , DONE WITHOUT SO MUCH AS A HOWDY DO. "BOOTLEGGING THE BOOTLEGGERS" AS JOHNNY THUNDERS CALLED IT.    THERE'S ANOTHER GOOD EXAMPLE , THUNDERS MADE HIS OPINIONS ON BOOTLEGS KNOWN , BUT , WHEN I SAW HIM IN '86 , IN DALLAS , HIS SOLO RECORDS , HEARTBREAKERS (TRACK'S NEWEST HITMAKERS!), AND ORIGINAL DOLLS LPs WERE ALMOST UNOBTAINABLE. SOME KIDS BROUGHT THE NOTORIOUS "LIVE , DALLAS '74" LP WITH THEM , BECAUSE IT WAS ABOUT ALL YOU COULDFIND AT THE TIME. HE SIGNED 'EM ANYWAY. I INTERVIEWED SYLVAIN SYLVAIN , AND HE SAID , "GOD BLESS THE BOOTLEGGERS , BECAUSE OUR STUFF WAS OUT OF PRINT , MERCURY DID'NT WANT TO DEAL WITH IT , AND THE BOOTLEGGERS KEPT THE DOLLS IN THE PUBLIC CONSCIENCE."

• January 20, 2012 4:24 PM CST
    • John,

My older brothers also used to have those Trademark Of Quality boots. The only one that survived to get passed along to me is The Who Live at Fillmore East, which I believe is from 1968. Great set and sound, though mine has lots of surface noise now. Those "Trademark" guys are featured in the history of bootleg records (forget what it's called) book if I recall accurately.

Another one I think is good is the Buzzcocks - "12 Reasons" which is early demo recordings. And the Pistols boot called "My Name Is John" which is from the Atlanta, Georgia show.

• January 20, 2012 3:49 PM CST

• John Battles said:

I'd probably narrow it down to a Cramps bootleg , but , that would be too easy. Here's a few that rate high with me -

The Troggs - Live , Whisky A Go Go . Fuckin' blistering set , ca. the official release , "Live at Max's" , BUT , SEEMINGLY A LITTLE LATER, putting it at maybe 1980. Much better song selection and edgier performances in general (Not that "Max's" is'nt worth a shit. It's very good. Just a few too many covers.), and the usual Trogg humor-

REG : "EFF THAT YOONG BARMAID IS AROYND WITH A GLASS OF WATER , OY'D LOVE ONE.".

CHRIS (?) : Even if she's aroynd WITHOOT a glass of water !".

It sounds like Chris Britton on this recording , don't know if he'd rejoined The Troggs , yet.

Ramones - Live Cambridge , 1976. One of the best Ramones boots I've ever heard . Maybe THEE best. Plus side : GREAT SOUND , ULTRA - RAW BASHIN' PERFORMANCES , AND A RARE LIVE "BABYSITTER".  Down side : You get to hear some jock douchebags who are probably wealthy businessmen , today , beating the crap out of some of the members of DMZ.

Roky Erickson and The Aliens - "You Will Believe in Ghosts" This 2 LP live set , believed to be from 1977 features the classic Aliens lineup in Top form , with Roky in great voice , improvising on occasion with horrific results ( "I'm gonna break every bone in your body , lord , and I know just how to say it to you.....I told you I would see...you die ! Nothing, it , My God , God almighty , oh , God , My God !" ("Before in The Beginning")

But his stage raps are thebest - " One day , Mary Shelley and a group of friends were talking , and , all of a sudden , Frankenstein hit them , it was the scariest place imaginable.....So , this is Frankenstein II , Dracula II is coming...coming out , in tree form. Dr. Acula  .".

" This is a cameo picture that you left....about 100 Quilion years ago. The only kinds of stories I like to read are like by Ambrose Bierce...and things about things with big eyes , watching you. What if IT WAS THAT ? THAT'S A HORSE OF A DIFFERENT COLOR. ".

Plus side : The extremely rare "I Know How To Love You" (It's not even in the "Openers 2" book. ), and a terrific version of "Bo Diddley is a Headhunter " .

Down side : No "You're Gonna Miss Me" or "Splash One " , but life does go on.

This set , believed to be from Germany , was sold at Austin's outstanding and now - defunct Record Exchange (Not exclusively) . They charged a little more than they had to for it , so they could give Roky some money from the copies they sold.

Two of the earliest boots I ever heard were "David Bowie in Person", which is HALF , not all , of the fabled Ziggy Stardust Santa Monica Civic 1972 concert. It was a Trademark of Quality (One of the first Bootleg imprints, Still active in the 90's , tho' probably not the same people.)release , ongreen vinyl. It's more readily available , the entire show , today. Soundboard. My oldest Brother, Tom , had it.

My second oldest Brother , Steve , had / still has " The Rollling Stones , European Tour , 1970" Double LP on Rubber Dubber (The other major early Bootleg label. In fact , this release may be one of the first Bootlegs ,ever.).

I recently scored this for $6 , as well as the better known "Live'r Than You'll Ever Be" (Also a steal at $6 ) , credited as the incentive for The Stones TO FINALLY DO A LEGIT LIVE IN '70 LP OF THEIR OWN.....However , it's hard to believe the former release did'nt also inspire "Get Your Ya Ya's Out ! " , as it's a great performance , soundboard , not perfect , but , very good by the standards of the day , and , there's THREE Chuck Berry songs ( Let It Rock , Little Queenie and Roll Over , Beethoven.).

• January 20, 2012 10:28 PM CST
    •  Does anyone have any info on this band who had a song called nowadays people? This was back in the '60s. Thanks.

• January 20, 2012 6:26 PM CST
    • When is the next Mongrel Zine coming out??? Better be before the next issue of What Wave.......lol...

• January 20, 2012 6:21 PM CST

• John Battles said:

Outside / Inside , by Beverly Paterson , a fun D.I.Y. ZINE , WITH INTERVIEWS WITH MEMBERS OF PAUL REVERE AND THE RAIDERS , WAILERS , CASTAWAYS , BLUE CHEER , LARRY AND THE BLUE NOTES , THE SONICS , THE SEEDS ,AND MANY OTHERS. PATERSON ALSO HAD A ONE - SHOT BUBBLEGUM ZINE. LOTS OF PASSION AND ENTHUSIASM . FOR TRUE FANS , BY A TRUE FAN

BLITZ COVERED A LOT OF GARAGE BANDS , AS DID GREG SHAW'S ORIGINAL BOMP ZINE.

EVEN GOLDMINE AND DISCOVERIES HIT THE MARK QUITE OFTEN.

BLACK TO COMM , BAD KARMA , PSYCHOTRONIC VIDEO , SHINDIG , HERE 'TIS , NOT FADE AWAY , EVEN MOJO.

John, do you know where can I find Beverly's Outside / Inside? Googling it wasn't much help!

kopper said:

Yes!

• January 20, 2012 6:23 PM CST

• Otto Parts said:

It appears to be the same guy that puts the whole thing together - Sean Aaberg. Did you check out the buttons? Yeah, yeah they're reproductions, but whatevs:

kopper said:

That cover kicks ass. Whose artwork is that?

Those buttons are fucking rad!

• January 20, 2012 6:22 PM CST
    • Playlist Jan 19/2012

This is part 1 of an all cassette show featuring some of London Ontario's coolest bands from about 1978 up to today....

1. The Demics...New York City....from the Domestic Animals cassette that was released back in 1983 and was 2 individuals idea of what the London indy music scene was all about. None of the band on this tape were aware that it was coming out. This song was recorded at The Cedar Lounge 12/21/79.

2. Uranus...Back To School Days....live at Buskerfest 7/25/93. Uranus reunited for this show and played on a truck trailer in what was a parking lot and is now the JLC (big ass arena where hockey is played).

3. Uranus...5 Bucks...recorded at The Embassy Hotel 3/22/82 and was broadcast live over the airwaves of CHRW.

4. The Sci-Phonics...Uranium Rock....recorded at the Book Brothers Christmas Party 12/23/89. Members of Uranus went on to The Sci-phonics and were aptly named London's coolest band many years ago.

5. The Sci-Phonics....Round and Round...from their self titled cassette and was also on a What Wave cassette many years ago.

6. Frank Ridsdale....Shake Some Action...recorded live at the Radio What Wave studio 10/16/10 and broadcast over the airwaves. One of my all time fave songs done by our good pal Frank! Thanx Frank!

7. UIC...Cheap Generation...from their very first demos 1986. They started out in Exeter Ontario and by way of London, ended up in Toronto where they all lived in the same house for a short while. The greatest band to ever come out of Exeter Ontario!!

8. UIC...I Got Nerve...from the Accusonic demos....1986?

9. UIC...What I Want...live at Call The Office 3/16/85. Most of this show was recorded live on video by Wayne Fisher/Danny Napalm and some songs have appeared on youtube including this song...
      http://youtu.be/0BHb0ocm_1g

That jerk dancing at the front of the stage in the black leather jacket looks kinda familiar....

10. Positively Stompin'...Ain't I'm A Dog....demo recorded in the early 90's and was on a What Wave cassette. Positively Stompin' had a couple of former UIC members and a former Legend Killer as well as a present day Stuntdouble. Country rock at the wrong time for the masses.

11. Arco Di Scarico....Miss Pearl...1995 demo. Some of the finest rockabilly to ever come out of London as this band name changed to:

12. Viv Sun and The Black Holes...Love Me....1996 demo. Presently known as The Black Holes and still the finest rockabilly combo in town.

13. Hank and Frank...Nancy Sinatra....Hank the Bookman and Frank Ridsdale recorded several tunes, all killer, with bizarre lyrics/subjects but some of the best almost unheard music from London. This particular song was on a What Wave cassette and when Hank formed Teurto Loco this song went to the band and they still play it live....usually when i'm in the crowd!!

14. The Hippies...Neat Neat Neat...recorded live at Fryfogles 1/16/84. The Hippies released one 7" and shoulda done so much more....but...

15. Tenement 13...Can Teens... demo from 7/22/83. The Hippies with a new name...why, i dunno.

16. Boy From Nowhere...Hot Smoke and Sasafrass...recorded live at The Langarth Bar And Grill 11/1/86 for a Halloween party. Boy From Nowhere were 3 of the Hippies with a new lead singer and a different take on the music as they were the first band in London to do the 60's garage thing here in London. Bless them for doing that!! The Langarth was our basement as we hosted a few parties down there....think our neighbours were glad when we moved as there were always scary looking people from out of town bands staying over...some, like The Gruesomes, had to be almost tossed out...fun times!!

17. Young Fast And Scientific...You Told Me...a demo from the late 80's. Kelly Mulvey, The Hippies vocalist is the singer in this Dictator blessed band.

18. Evil Hoodoos...Back In The USA....members of Boy From Nowhere and Frankenstein V and Legend Killers merged into this drunken mess...listen carefully to the end of this song, if you're Canadian it'll probably make you smile.

19. Slacker...New Song...early 90's demo from this Diane McPherson combo.

20. Morganfields...I Ain't Flippin' Burgers No More...from the Scribblehead cassette from 1992 and features Alan Pigguns who has gone on to bigger things.

21. Smack Daddy...Ring My Bell??...from a demo that has absolutely no info on it. Brunswick band.

22. Frankenstein V...Midnight Hour....recorded live at Call The Office...7/19/90. The first real snarly garagepunk combo who totally embraced the 60's to come out of London....in fact the only! 

23. Frankenstein V...Kill And Go Hide...a demo that appeared on a What Wave cassette...now if they could have written more originals like this, they mighta become legends!

24. Hi-Tones....tried to play a live song for the last minute of the show, but for some reason couldn't get any volume...ya, there were lots of screwups in this show, but it's all cassettes and was a ton of fun doing it!

If you want to know more about the London Ontario punk music scene, check out the documentary Stinkin' Out The Joint by Mario Circelli (he was general manager at CHRW for many years). It's in 4 parts on youtube, here's a link to the first part:

http://youtu.be/FgSlxrfjYFE

Next week, the saga continues with tunes by Flying Squad, Zellots, 63 Monroe, NFG, Crawling Kingsnakes, Finks and a TON more.....Thursday January 26th at 7PM.

And here's a link to the archived show so you can hear all of the mistakes and some really cool music:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• January 20, 2012 5:12 PM CST
    • Also: I'm sorta obsessed with The Shaggs lately

• January 20, 2012 5:02 PM CST

• Pat said:

this one was great too :

http://www.guiltyboat.org/

The Guilty Boat didn't actually set sail though did it? It was just a party on an anchored boat, I thought. (There's a funny photo of Khan at the Guilty Boat party in our MZ Best Of issue.)

Being stuck on a cruise ship is probably one of my biggest fears but the Bruise Cruise actually sounds kinda fun. I liked their Rob Corradetti-designed split 7"s from last year. I wonder if they'll release more this year?

• January 20, 2012 3:23 PM CST
    • Nice!  Good to meet you amphibious man =)

• January 20, 2012 2:55 PM CST
    • I think I have a copy of his film script in a Jim Morrison anthology, so why hasn't anyone made it yet?

• January 20, 2012 2:09 PM CST
    • That was pretty freakin' cool.

Thanks for sharing.

• January 20, 2012 2:51 PM CST
    • I never did get to meet the man like I hoped to but I did call him up once to inquire about a class he was teaching out of his home.  While I had him on the line, I asked him about the Sonics and Standells.  He must have had his phone right by a copy of the Standells record as he actually rattled off the titles of the songs he recorded.  He was a character and will be sadly missed by many.