Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 4, 2012 2:11 PM CST
    • Yeah well perhaps I souldn't have used the word 'originals'. There are no originals, there's always something that's come before! See for example this page about Misirlou: http://www.dinosaurgardens.com/archives/297. There was even a better one with videos embedded that I found some months ago but I can't find it any longer.

The legacy of the Rivingtons is huge. Papa-Oo-Mow-Mow (or Mama-Oo-Mow-Mow which is even better) and The Bird's the Word have inspired hundreds of fantastic songs, some of them little known like Surfin' Bird by Wade Curtiss or Papa-Oo-Mao-Mao by the Deviants.

But what I like is suddenly discovering that a song I was so familiar with had in fact an 'oroginal'. For example, I was so delighted when I finally got to hear the 'original' version of Tainted Love (Gloria Jones) or I Want Candy by the Strangeloves and not Bow-Wow-Wow...

• January 4, 2012 1:59 PM CST
    • Whatever it is, I feel pretty confident that it can't top this!

• January 4, 2012 1:47 PM CST
    • Hey, I'd like to mention Cool Cats, a book of R&R photos and some essays. It goes from the 50s up to the early 80s.

Also, some subculture books: Subculture, the Meaning of Style, by Dick Hebdige

Skinhead, by Nik Knight [this guy does fashion photography now]

Reggae International, by Stephen Davis and Peter Simon

Mods, by Richard Barnes [he also did the who, maximum r&b]

and a fiction book, Absolute Beginners, by colin macinnes [early mod]

• January 4, 2012 1:20 PM CST
    • From BLURT: http://blurt-online.com/news/view/5846/

By Blurt Staff

Due February 28, Hoods and Shades is soulman Andre Williams' fourth Bloodshot Records full-length release, and perhaps his most intriguing and thematically driven. Self-dubbed "the Andre Williams folk album", he recruited his Detroit boys (and then some) to put together a collection of nine songs that collectively play out like an afternoon hangout among musical roadmen, chatting of their experiences through their instruments.

Making contributions are: renowned Grammy Award-winning producer Don Was on upright bass, Motown legend/Funk Brother Dennis Coffey on acoustic and electric guitars, Dirty Three drummer Jim White, Greasy Carlisi (Robert Gordon, Chris Spedding) and Jim Diamond (Dirtbombs) on electric bass, and longtime producer Matthew Smith (Nathaniel Mayer, Outrageous Cherry, Volebeats).

Hoods and Shades brings together Andre Williams' signature low-end purr and suggestive come-ons ("Gimme", "I've Got Money on My Mind"), alongside clear-eyed cautionary tales ("A Good Day to Feel Bad", "Hoods and Shades") from someone who has been on the street long enough to know. In his past, the longtime R&B legend Williams most famously wrote "Shake A Tail Feather," and sang proto-punk cult classics like "Bacon Fat" (covered by the Cramps), "Greasy Chicken," and the epitome of songs about underage girls, "Jail Bait." Additionally, he once paid his dues and honed his unique musical outlook at seminal labels such as Motown, Chess, and Fortune. He also wrote and produced for artists Ike Turner, Parliament/Funkadelic, Edwin Starr and Stevie Wonder. In 2008, Andre was the subject of the gritty documentary, "Agile Mobile Hostile."

• January 4, 2012 1:00 PM CST
    • mummies, never been caught [telstar],

or the 2nd nuggets box from rhino [freakbeat]

• January 4, 2012 12:22 AM CST
    • Is it bad if I suggest my own album? The Scarred Live Fast Die Poor

• January 3, 2012 10:43 PM CST
    • The Nomads - WHERE THE WOLF BANE BLOOMS (MLP) Amigo AMMP 302/1983

• January 3, 2012 8:44 PM CST
    • That's it... I NEED a new music fix or I might go into withdraw!

• January 4, 2012 12:53 PM CST
    • Hey, if I could figure out a way to tune into GaragePunk Pirate Radio in my car, I'd have it on all the time!

• January 4, 2012 11:08 AM CST
    • Does anyone else find it absolutely necessary to blast some music on the way into work?

I have two have two things before I get to work, some good music, and strong coffee. And if I had to choose one over the other, I'd go with music over coffee. Honestly, I pretty much need music to drive anywhere, it's my mental gasoline! 

• January 4, 2012 11:37 AM CST
    • I just started going through some of the songs that are being considered for a 7th volume, and 6 of the first 9 songs I checked are friggin' MP3s!! People aren't reading the submission instructions very closely. As it stands right now, I don't think I have enough for a 7th volume. We may just have to push this one back a while.

• January 4, 2012 9:30 AM CST
    • In Switzerland we have to say Reverend Beat-Man !

• January 4, 2012 8:42 AM CST
    • If you mean Fuzztones, the band, well they play those funny Vox guitars with 3 humbuckers and a whammy bar; a Telecaster is quite different, it has a lot of attack and bright tones, few 'middles' and very few sustain, yet you can try...

• January 3, 2012 10:48 PM CST
    • +1

Gringo Starr said:

Android.

• January 3, 2012 5:35 PM CST
    • Huh? What you see on your phone is what you see on your computer. As far as I'm aware there is no specific mobile site; m.garagepunk.com gives a site not found error and typing m.garagepunk.ning.com gives a 404 error.

If you're an iphone user you won't see any of the flash content unless you've jail-breaked your iphone so it can install flash.

I can post in the groups from my phone, but it is an Android, maybe this is an iphone specific issue?

Mike said:

Maybe I just haven't figured it out, but I don't think the mobile version of the site allows access to your groups. That'd be nice.

• January 3, 2012 5:30 PM CST
    • Android.

• January 3, 2012 4:30 PM CST
    • Great idea, more power to ya elbow.

• January 3, 2012 3:08 PM CST
    • Maybe I just haven't figured it out, but I don't think the mobile version of the site allows access to your groups. That'd be nice.

• January 3, 2012 10:38 PM CST
    • I don't have one anywhere any longer. They were simple Avery mailing labels ran through a copier.

kopper said:

I remember meeting you at TrebleFest '96 in Denver, too! So, do you still have any of those stickers? It'd be cool to scan one and post it here.

Christerious said:

Some of those people probably went and had kids n stuff. I made alt.music.banana-truffle stickers and brought them to garage shock '94? I made some good friends through that site!

• January 3, 2012 10:24 PM CST
    • I remember meeting you at TrebleFest '96 in Denver, too! So, do you still have any of those stickers? It'd be cool to scan one and post it here.

Christerious said:

Some of those people probably went and had kids n stuff. I made alt.music.banana-truffle stickers and brought them to garage shock '94? I made some good friends through that site!

• January 3, 2012 2:18 PM CST
    • Some of those people probably went and had kids n stuff. I made alt.music.banana-truffle stickers and brought them to garage shock '94? I made some good friends through that site!

• January 3, 2012 8:59 PM CST
    • actually, now I've checked PCM recordings captured in Hi-MD mode on Hi-MD equipment *are* considered lossless... it's been a long day...

• January 3, 2012 6:52 PM CST
    • Are you thinking about the Sony ATRAC compression?  PCM isn't considered lossy...is it?

craig wood said:

MiniDisk isn't true wav, though.  PCM has a lossy compression algorithm... 

I'll get my coat....

c*

• January 3, 2012 6:12 PM CST
    • MiniDisk isn't true wav, though.  PCM has a lossy compression algorithm... 

I'll get my coat....

c*