Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 5, 2012 8:07 AM CST
    • Incredible stuff John! Thanks for sharing these amazing tales : ).

John Carlucci said:

I  grew up in NYC & witnessed the C.B.G.B's/ Max's Kansas City scene first hand. My band, (The Speedies) was on the circuit, though we did not start up till 79. We were a Max's band. After the Wayne County/Manitoba incident there was a division in the scene. The NY Punk scene morphed out of the dying "Glitter Rock" scene, as it was called then. (now people refer to it as Glam Rock, but that's not what we called it when it was happening)

Saw the Stooges in 73, NY Dolls & The Dictators in 73, Ramones & Heartbreakers in 74. Somewhere around late 75, they started calling it "Punk Rock". The first place I saw the term was in the New York Daily News. They had a  color photo of HDM & Top Ten From the Dictators on the cover of the Sunday Entertainment section with the words "Punk Rock" on the photo in large letters.  We were all so excited to see our little scene starting to get noticed.This was nearly 2 years before any English Punk bands existed. Back then, things were not so compartmentalized into seperate genre's. Most of the  CBGB's/ Max's bands were into the 60's Garage bands like The Music Machine/Standells/Seeds/Sonics etc. Some of them covered 60's Garage songs (Dead Boys/ Hey Little Girl for example) At first the term around town was Sixties Punk. This was a way of describing it so it was not confused with the 70's scene which was now called Punk.

It was not until the 80's revival that it started to be known as Garage Punk.  I moved to LA after The Speedies broke up & the first band I played with out West was Rik L Rik's band. His band F-Word put out the first Los Angeles "Punk" record. I joined the Fuzztones in 86. They had been already going for a few years. They started as a side project/cover band of Rudi & Deb who had a Power Pop Band called Tina Peel which used to open for The Speedies a lot at Max's & Hurrah's. Rudi looked me up when he moved to LA & asked me to join The Fuzztones. I obliged, mostly because he had a tour of Europe set up. From the start, I had my apprehension. I tried to steer him away from cover songs & 60's "costumes" in favor of  the less contrived approach of some of our peer groups that I admired, like The Miracle Workers, or The Lyres (who had the songs & the look, without appearing like they were wearing uniforms) We constantly butted heads. We signed to RCA in 87. That's when the shit really hit the fan & the resulting megalomania tore the band apart. The experience left me with a sour taste in my mouth for "Garage Rock" & I drifted into the LA Blues & Rockabilly scene, until The Hexxers found me in the mid 2000's and coaxed me back into Garage.  (photo below: SpeedieJohn Carlucci onstage @ C.B.G.B.'s in 1977

• January 5, 2012 7:46 AM CST
    •  I had a very keen sense of what punk was at a young age. I remember being 4 or 5, living in LA, and seeing groups of punk kids running around. I knew there was something 'different' about them, and something 'different' about me. I instantly identified with them. I knew I'd one day join their ranks.

My parents took me to a sitar concert, and there was a punk girl sitting behind us. I was awestruck! I wanted this cool older girl to kidnap me so I could tag along on her punk rock adventures. But alas that didn't happen. She just gave me my first stick of gum, much to my moms dismay.

I had an older cousin who wore tight clothes, teased her hair to high heaven, and hung Red Kross and Dead Kennedy's posters on her walls. The first (and only) time we met she dyed a chunk of my hair orange. Once again, mom was pissed. Mom redyed it so dad never knew.

One day when riding the bus some punk kids were cussing up a storm. An elderly woman stood up and confronted them. She told them to watch their language around young children, then pointed at me. Meanwhile I thought to myself "Oh fuck you, you old hag!" haha

Years passed and life happened. I was a product of violence, poverty, and abuse. My relationship with my mother was so bad that I often ran away for weeks at a time. We were living in Portland, OR then - the runaway capitol of America. I'd hang around the square or Burnside and meet random squatters and other street kids.

I noticed a pink haired girl working a coffee stand near Powells Books one day. As I came closer I heard the loudest, angriest music blasting from her boombox. It was unlike anything I'd heard before. The vocalist was..... female. The whole band was. The pink haired girl told me they were called Babes in Toyland.

I spared enough change to buy a copy of 'fontanelle' from Ozone, which I'd blast on my walkman day after day. Though not punk rock per se, Babes in Toyland opened the floodgates for me. Soon after I got into the Lunachicks, L7, and Area 51. When a goth girl approached me to ask what I was listening to, she recommended I check out Crass, and Maximum Rock & Roll magazine. I got into zines. Through zines I acquired pen pals, and though pen pals I acquired mix tapes. The ball kept rolling from there.

At 14 I went to live with my dad in Seattle, and immersed myself in the local punk scene. I started silk screening patches and t shirts. I would get store credit from local record shops + mail order catalogs like Dr. Strange and Angry Young and Poor, and could afford obscure/expensive Brit punk records this way. My interest in 'collectors genres' had kickstarted. One thing lead to another, and here I am today.

• January 5, 2012 4:13 AM CST
    • One day when I was 10 or 11 I got these cds borrowed from my cousin.

• January 5, 2012 1:50 AM CST
    •  Bry , I only heard that this is the year of the Dragon. But , Dragons can be right c*nts , can't they....In fact , pretty much the only "Garage" band functioning tn Chicago from the late 70's to the late 80's was The C*nts. Nerver mentioned when the "Glory Days of Chicago Punk" is discussed (Niether is J. Henry Timmis IV , The ( Chicago) Misfits (Later The Victims ) , Beluga and The Human Ashtrays , The Lord of Lightning (Maximum Black Rock , not Punk , but plenty Lo - Fi / DIY.) . They made a point of doing an occasonal gig for some friends , and that was about it. I met the Drummer ,and gave him my number , saying please call if there's a gig. Never heard from him.   In the late 80's , there WAS Fang Beach (Straight up covers of "Nuggets " type songs.) , DIMENTIA 13 (BARRETT - INSPIRED HEAVY PSYCH - ROCK , BUT STILL KINDA POPPY. I sat in with them a lot.), and The Sindells , a little later (Feat. Eric Reidelberger , later in fuckin ' champion Mod Psychsters , Civilized Age , also Lava Sutra - spinoff , Fancy Trolls , as well as Mistletoe Beltbuckle , with Rudi Protrudi. They had a former Sonic Youth Drummer for a while , and , of course , "Joe Garage " , Bob Bucholz , later in The Havox.).....But , there was no "Garage Scene". You'd go and see The Cynics , Royal Nonesuch , or The Chesterfield Kings on a good night (Before they began flirting with Metal ) , and maybe meet 5 people who also "Got it'.

• January 5, 2012 7:38 AM CST
    • Here's one you probably don't have, but is an amazing live recording from a Minneapolis band who was around in the late '70s playing wild & raucous garage trash when no one else was! It's insanely good...

http://www.bompstore.com/servlet/Detail?no=11972

• January 5, 2012 6:27 AM CST
    • The Creation - we are paintermen

• January 5, 2012 5:18 AM CST
    • Thanks for all the great suggestions! Some old favorites I was reminded of, some current favorites, & some I've never heard (los Saicos, the Scarred, & the Von Zippers.) You kids got good taste!

• January 4, 2012 5:37 PM CST
    • Ty Segall, Singles 2007-2010

• January 4, 2012 3:23 PM CST
    • black monk time.

• January 4, 2012 3:22 PM CST
    • YES ! TA TA TA TA TA TA TA TA ! YA ! YA ! YA! YA !    Sorry , can't stop  doing that. Good pick , Mina.

Mina said:

• January 5, 2012 5:49 AM CST
    • Wild Billy Childish gotta be up there for the British beat sound. just heard some of his new stuff in the last week. Not lost any of his edge or diatribe! Lovely

• January 4, 2012 5:43 PM CST
    • I just immediately thought of Jay Reatard and John Dwyer, but I'm talkin' heroes of the 00s. 

• January 5, 2012 3:36 AM CST
    • SHERI MOON

• January 5, 2012 3:01 AM CST
    • BLACK RYDER :)

• January 4, 2012 7:14 PM CST
    • Hey, did these guys submit this song for the latest Hideout comp?  :P

• January 4, 2012 5:07 PM CST
    • Yeah, that's pretty bad.

• January 4, 2012 3:12 PM CST
    • This is hilarious ! I can only take a few minutes of it , but , still. It looks like a High School project. Or just some kids that snuck into a garage with maybe two digital cameras (If it was shot on video , at least , it might have LOOKED cool.). The Goblins (Masked superhero Joke Rock BAND.) did a thing like this . Short story long : They'd staged an imaginary disagreement between themselves and the insanely overrated Tortoise , on "Chic - A - Go Go" . One program was interrupted by an animated Ninja Turtle (Representing "Tortoise " , get it? ) telling viewers he had unreleased footage of "Your precious Goblins" - Then we see handheld footage of a VERY bad High School Rock band (Only arguably better than this , because it does'nt sound like prison rape or Ministry , Jr.), doing off kilter versions of "Paranoid" and "Anarchy in The U.K.", in a gymnasium !

That is'nt worse , but ,in the meantime , may I suggest Alan Gillette ? 

• January 4, 2012 3:19 PM CST
    • HA HAAAAAA !!!! I used to think that , too !

Ted said:

Led Zeppelin "Whole Lotta Love" :You need kool-aid,baby im not foolin' (you need coolin',baby I'm not foolin'

• January 4, 2012 2:56 PM CST
    • It's possible you've got "Smell of Female" all sewn up. I don't know.

"Potentate" has that one riff that's similar to "My Little Red Book" , but , probably not enough to suggest that that's where it came from (Quien Save?)....

Of course "Wighat" has a little bit of "Limbo Time" thrown in , just a little.

Their version of "Faster , Pussycat " utilizes part of a Davie Allan song from "The Wild Angels"as a bridge. I'm not saying they did it note - for - note , but , it's dead close. Sorry , I can never remember the names of instrumentals (They don't have words.), but , I always heard it that way.  "Primitive" IS "Smokestack Lightning" , the guitar parts. I just was'nt thinking about it.  I heard both for the first time , The Cramps for the former and The Yardbirds for the latter , late in '81 , and went , WTF !!!    Also , "Weekend on Mars" , which was only available as a French 45 , and on the French 45 "Smell of Female Set", is widely believed to be based on P.J.Proby's early kickass Rockabilly Rocker "Go , Girl, Go" (As Jett Powers.). I can sure hear it.

Kid Congo once told me that Lux and Ivy were very good at putting together their own songs from bits and pieces of existing songs. He did'nt tellme about any other sourcesyou might not have heard of , though.

John Battles said:

Oh , I was having a laugh , is all , when I said , "Yes , The Cramps actually wrote their own material". But , a lot of people give them heat just because a lot of their songs recall lesser - known songs (Which , as you said , is a good part of the fun , finding out what THEY were influenced by.)....But , I've never been convinced about the connection between "New Kind of Kick" and "He's Waitin'"....Those opening riffs are similar , but , not the same . I know the underlying chords "It's too late , you lied" "I'm lookin' and lookin' for..." are very close , but , I think , if anything , they probably decided it was a good idea to put lyrics to something that sounded LIKE "He's Waitin'" , but not exactly like it....

Mitchhz said:

Of course, I know that the Cramps did write their own material! Or some of it! But part of their legacy is the discovery of a whole new world. So thanks for the tips, I'll continue my exploration. The Cramps had impeccable taste!

Off the Bone (1983)

Human Fly: yes people say it's Green Mosquito by the Tune Rockers but I'm not convinced. I find Kick Out by surf band The Safaris (on Wail on the Beach compilation) sounds much more like Human Fly !

The Way I Walk: Jack Scott

Domino: Roy Orbison

Surfin' Bird: The Trashmen

Lonesome Town: Ricky Nelson

(Garbageman)

(Fever)

Drug Train: Bill Allen, Please Give Me Something

Love Me: The Phantom

I Can't Hardly Stand It: Charlie Feathers

(Goo Goo Muck)

She Said: Hasil Adkins

(The Crusher)

Save It: Mel Robbins

New Kind of Kicks: The Sonics, He's Waiting

Smell of Female (1983 mini-LP)

Thee Most Exalted Potentate of Love: ?

You Got Good Taste: ?

Call of the Wighat: ?

Faster Pussycat: The Boss Tweeds, soundtrack to Faster Pussycat Kill Kill

Ain't Nuthin but a Gorehound: ?

Psychotic Reaction: The Count V

1985 maxi single

Can Your Pussy do the Dog: Del Raney's Umbrellas, Can Your Hossie Do the Dog (for the title only?)

Blue Moon Baby: Dave Diddle Day

Georgia Lee Brown: Jackie Lee Cochran

1986 maxi single

What's Inside a Girl: ?

Get Off the Road: R Lewis Band

Give Me a Woman: Andy Starr

• January 4, 2012 2:42 PM CST
    • Oh , I was having a laugh , is all , when I said , "Yes , The Cramps actually wrote their own material". But , a lot of people give them heat just because a lot of their songs recall lesser - known songs (Which , as you said , is a good part of the fun , finding out what THEY were influenced by.)....But , I've never been convinced about the connection between "New Kind of Kick" and "He's Waitin'"....Those opening riffs are similar , but , not the same . I know the underlying chords "It's too late , you lied" "I'm lookin' and lookin' for..." are very close , but , I think , if anything , they probably decided it was a good idea to put lyrics to something that sounded LIKE "He's Waitin'" , but not exactly like it....

Mitchhz said:

Of course, I know that the Cramps did write their own material! Or some of it! But part of their legacy is the discovery of a whole new world. So thanks for the tips, I'll continue my exploration. The Cramps had impeccable taste!

Off the Bone (1983)

Human Fly: yes people say it's Green Mosquito by the Tune Rockers but I'm not convinced. I find Kick Out by surf band The Safaris (on Wail on the Beach compilation) sounds much more like Human Fly !

The Way I Walk: Jack Scott

Domino: Roy Orbison

Surfin' Bird: The Trashmen

Lonesome Town: Ricky Nelson

(Garbageman)

(Fever)

Drug Train: Bill Allen, Please Give Me Something

Love Me: The Phantom

I Can't Hardly Stand It: Charlie Feathers

(Goo Goo Muck)

She Said: Hasil Adkins

(The Crusher)

Save It: Mel Robbins

New Kind of Kicks: The Sonics, He's Waiting

Smell of Female (1983 mini-LP)

Thee Most Exalted Potentate of Love: ?

You Got Good Taste: ?

Call of the Wighat: ?

Faster Pussycat: The Boss Tweeds, soundtrack to Faster Pussycat Kill Kill

Ain't Nuthin but a Gorehound: ?

Psychotic Reaction: The Count V

1985 maxi single

Can Your Pussy do the Dog: Del Raney's Umbrellas, Can Your Hossie Do the Dog (for the title only?)

Blue Moon Baby: Dave Diddle Day

Georgia Lee Brown: Jackie Lee Cochran

1986 maxi single

What's Inside a Girl: ?

Get Off the Road: R Lewis Band

Give Me a Woman: Andy Starr

• January 4, 2012 2:32 PM CST
    • That's true. Good Artists borrow. Great Artists STEAL.  But , I think Mitchhz is just trying to get a feel for where these songs originated , and add what he already knows . There are , of course , obvious and less obvious sources that go into writing a song. If you've ever written a song of your own , chances are , it was inspired , or blatantly ripped off from , something else.

Sam Sinister said:

"The Crusher" from Off The Bone was originally by The Novas.

I don't really know why you're counting a lot of these as originals of the Cramps' songs. Borrowing a riff or a beat or the "feel" of a song doesn't really count for much in this type of music (punk, garage, rockabilly, etc.), in my opinion. Everyone is derivative of everyone else, it's part of the appeal. ;)

• January 4, 2012 2:20 PM CST
    •  Dennis Coffey ? Shit , yeah. I'm in the itsy bitsy , teeny weenie , so small you can't see it , minority that prefers Andre's R'n'B stuff. My favorite , more recent , albums are the two Norton albums. Most people don't like 'em , because they're not "Punk Rock enough". Whatever. I used to always go see Andre , from his first Chicago comeback show in '96 , on....But , I have'nt seen him in years. He has'nt been playing a lot , either. I went to his book release party , that was GREAT. All these yuppies were making lots of noise , and we could'nt hear Andre , until he said "AND THEN SHE BIT HIS MUTHAFUCKIN' DICK OFF !!!". Suddenly , they all split for the MANY more yuppie - friendly bars on Division Street.

Oh , and Greasy Carlisi is probably better known in "Our world" for his work alongside Ron Asheton in Dark Carnival.