Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 28, 2011 7:25 PM CST
    • Here's a bizarre but true story regarding this subject.  We just reformed THE SLOTHS at the end of this summer. All of us Sloth members we apart of the Hollywood Sunset Strip era of 1964 to 1966. No one knew that 'Makin' Love' the 45 the original group made in 1965 but was never released, had somehow been discovered and on the 'Back From The Grave 4' album. Nor did we know The Gories and other bands had covered it, or that an original single with sleeve had been sold for as high as $6550.00 on eBay.  We were all amazed. Ugly Things magazine just did a cover story on the group.  But the point is..all this led to us getting together again (in a garage, of course) and starting playing the songs exactly as we had 45 years ago. Some of us had not played, nor have I sang, in over 4 decades. But it was as if no time had passed. Now we're being booked in clubs and venues. The most surreal thing is we were all around 16yrs old back in the day. Now we're in our 60s playing the music of the 60s with more energy and passion than when we were teens. Too Old To Rock? Not yet, thank God.

• December 28, 2011 2:55 PM CST
    • What to say about the living legends, Little Richard and Chuck Berry:):):)!!!!

• December 28, 2011 2:03 PM CST
    • There are lots of bands still playing out with members in their 50s and up. The Fuzztones, D.O.A., The Cynics, The Fleshtones, The Chesterfield Kings... I'd bet all those guys are in their 50s. Nikki Corvette is still rockin', too. Take a look at the lineup for the recent Norton Records fest... The Real Kids (they ain't kids anymore!), the Great Gaylord, Andre Williams, The Sonics, ? and the Mysterians, Randy Fuller (Bobby's brother), Flamin Groovies, etc.

• December 28, 2011 4:26 PM CST
    • Wow, what a tired old argument/discussion... no disrespect to the OP, but this is really a breeding ground for silly arguments. My opinion? Punk is a style of music, the style doesn't change when notoriety and/or money enter the equation. You either play it or you don't.

• December 28, 2011 1:53 PM CST
    • Excellent examples! Too bad they couldn't make more $, but they stayed true to their roots...

Sean said:

The Cramps managed to pull it off. They sold out, admitted it, but still stayed the same kick ass band. Same with The Ramones. I think The Ramones are the best example of a Punk group becoming one of the most popular and well known Punk groups of all time, but were still a "Punk" group and never changed their ways or style. Their songs did manage to get a bit Poppy over the years, but it wasn't complete shit like how most bands end up. 

• December 28, 2011 1:50 PM CST
    • Iggy Pop is on cruiseline commercials & the Pogues are on a car commercial & i don't think it diminishes how punk they are.

• December 28, 2011 1:46 PM CST
    • The Cramps managed to pull it off. They sold out, admitted it, but still stayed the same kick ass band. Same with The Ramones. I think The Ramones are the best example of a Punk group becoming one of the most popular and well known Punk groups of all time, but were still a "Punk" group and never changed their ways or style. Their songs did manage to get a bit Poppy over the years, but it wasn't complete shit like how most bands end up. 

• December 28, 2011 12:53 PM CST
    • My opinion is that it depends on the group. I never really considered the White Stripes that punk, but the Jesus and Mary Chain's Psycho Candy still sounds ragin' to me all these years later. Any other opinions out there?

• December 28, 2011 4:12 PM CST
    • The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson 

(I stole this from the Sympathy site)

• December 28, 2011 3:16 PM CST
    • HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!

Dre' once asked some of the people in the audience what they paid to get in , they all said "8 Dollars , Andre"...But , he did'nt believe one woman , and , he finally said , "EIGHT DOLLARS? ASS LIKE THAT , YOU SHOULD HAVE GOT IN FREE !"

Another time , well , I don't think she'd mind , but I won't mention her name w/o her permission. Andre's ogling this , admittedly beautiful , woman , and he says , "There she is ! Sally Goodpussy !". The place goes silent , and , she replies , "YOU could'nt handle it , Andre !"".....

Mike said:

Once saw Andre Williams at the Viper Room here in Los Angeles. Lux & Ivy were in the audience and Andre acknowledging them as kindred spirits said "We may not be the same color, but we came from the same pussy"

• December 28, 2011 3:11 PM CST
    •  "This is real money , we want you to like us." -Fear 

(I've got a couple of unusable singles , thought of giving 'em to a heckler....Or a cigarette that's already been somewhere else.... Only thought of it , tho'.)

• December 28, 2011 4:11 PM CST
    • My vote is Velocity of Sound. (started in 2011 I think) 

Alison said:

Great choices.  In The Red is awesome. Also, I can't wait for that new Sonic Avenues LP out next month on Dirtnap!

polianarchy said:

Three-way tie? Hahaha, guess I cheated! My picks for 2011 are Dirtnap, In The Red, and 1234...Go.

• December 28, 2011 3:44 PM CST
    • Great choices.  In The Red is awesome. Also, I can't wait for that new Sonic Avenues LP out next month on Dirtnap!

polianarchy said:

Three-way tie? Hahaha, guess I cheated! My picks for 2011 are Dirtnap, In The Red, and 1234...Go.

• December 28, 2011 3:06 PM CST
    • Three-way tie? Hahaha, guess I cheated! My picks for 2011 are Dirtnap, In The Red, and 1234...Go.

• December 28, 2011 1:54 PM CST
    • Aw, shucks. Thanks, Joey!

joey fuckup said:

My vote goes to GRGPNK Records, though. Kopper has done a helluva job putting together some great comps on here! So there ya go, that's my vote for "Best Label of 2011".

• December 28, 2011 1:03 PM CST
    • nice

joey fuckup said:

My vote goes to GRGPNK Records, though. Kopper has done a helluva job putting together some great comps on here! So there ya go, that's my vote for "Best Label of 2011".

• December 28, 2011 12:33 PM CST
    • My vote goes to GRGPNK Records, though. Kopper has done a helluva job putting together some great comps on here! So there ya go, that's my vote for "Best Label of 2011".

• December 28, 2011 12:00 PM CST
    • Wow, that's almost like asking someone to pick which of their children is their favorite! I'm not going to say who the BEST of 2011 is/was, but I can say Sundazed has/continues to put out killer vinyl of classic garage, rockabilly, surf, honky tonk, etc. Just what they put out this past year was enough to make my head spin.

• December 28, 2011 3:34 PM CST
    •   I like DMZ  WAY more than The Lyres , but , that's just me.

When Connolly was between versions of The Lyres , in the late 90's , he did a thing called "Man or Monoman" , where he'd play out with younger Garage bands in different towns , and do DMZ and Lyres songs. I saw him doing this , in Detroit , with The Hentchmen.

• December 28, 2011 3:24 PM CST
    • ....If you've never been to Austin , you'll have to sell your soul to get a ride in a cab. Can't hail 'em on the street , and , by and large , they'll leave you hanging if you call in. You might want to consider renting a car , or even a bike. Granted , a lotof venues are relatively close together. Used to be ,you could do Austin on foot , for the most part , but , that was only if you were staying near the University.  Freddie Krc is bound to have something interesting up his sleeve.

I don't know if Roky is playing , but , he usually does. Look out for Bubble Puppy , too. They reformed recently , and sound great.

• December 28, 2011 3:06 PM CST
    • Mod and Mod Psych : The Eyes , The Move  , The Birds , The Smoke , The Sorrows ....

Mod Revival : U.S. Mods , Civilized Age (Mod Psych) , Mod Fun ( All U.S.)

Secret Affair (UK).

• December 28, 2011 2:14 PM CST
    • I think of Mod as white, mostly British bands playing updated, higher-energy,  R&B/Motown/Soul-inspired rock...The Who is an obvious classic Mod band. The Jam is an obvious 'mod-revival' first-wave punk-era band. Others come to mind:

The Who
      The Small Faces (early)
      The Kinks (?)
      The Action
      The Creation 

The Jam
      The Lambrettas
      Purple Hearts

Others? Start listing 'em, folks...

• December 28, 2011 12:52 PM CST
    • Hey Tim, were you going to submit a Marshmallow Overcoat song for our Hideout Comp Series? I don't have a record of you uploading one yet. Deadline for the next volume is Dec. 31!

Details: http://garagepunk.ning.com/page/hideout-comps

• December 28, 2011 12:31 PM CST
    • Yep, great shit!