Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 21, 2011 3:08 PM CST
    • For me, my first show was Cheap Trick on the One-On-One tour. It was in a basketball stadium, so the sound was a little washed out, but I was so stoked to hear 'em play that I didn't care.

First punk show was the Big Boys, (Texas) in a tiny li'l bar called Backstage, 1983.

Best shows, so far: The Cramps w/ Nick Knox, Stay Sick tour, and the Boredoms, 1993. Both shows were off-the-scale energy, wow...

Most disappointing show was The Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments, 1996 (SXSW, ack!) the singer was waaaay drunk, the gtr player was pissed-off, and the band maybe played 20 minutes.

• December 21, 2011 2:55 PM CST
    • Alright, now we've got some more replies, here's another from me, it's a 10" by Pink Slip Daddy - LSD - 1988. This is collecter-scum heaven, check it out: 10", sleeve done up like the Stones' Beggar's Banquet, w/ gatefold, clear pink vinyl, the A-side (LSD) plays at 45 from the inside out, and the B-side plays at 33, but is double-tracked (Nervous Breakdown/Stoned)!! Sounds muy Cramps-y. Wild!

• December 21, 2011 4:15 AM CST
    • I may be a bit biased on this one. Full disclosure, my label released this..

Anyway it's a band called The Spears, has the singer from Pink Lincolns, bass player Hated Youth, Down By Law guitarist, and the drummer from Black Flag.

We put it out about a year before the band "OFF" came out. It's strikingly similar. We spent a ton of money promoting this thing, and it got about 30 rave reviews, but for some reason it never caught on.

I was trying to find a download link somewhere. Amazingly, seems like all the illegal download links are broken

Here is one track though

http://www.jailhouserecords.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/05-Becky.mp3

If anyone can find a mediafire link or anything, feel free to post it.

• December 21, 2011 3:42 AM CST
    • The Beguiled, yeah!

Now that's a great album if one was ever made. Also kind of like a christmas album for me, makes me feel merry everytime I spin it.

I'd say:

The Cosmis Psychos - Self Totalled (a late album by them, but hell is it fun! If that's not reason enough to dig it, then what is?).

The Pleasure Fuckers - For your pleasure (one of their last, but every track is Killer, an overlooked masterpiece if ya ask me. Although Kike sure has place in RNR history).

The High Beams - Hallucination (not overlooked in some circles, but this is one of my favourite disks EVER!)

• December 21, 2011 2:15 PM CST
    • Trash Can School. We played around that period of time. Good times. 

KK Dirty Money said:

Yeah, unfortunately that place didn't last too long. That side of the state doesn't have too many cool rock venues (the West side seems to be more college rock and jam band oriented, whereas the garage and stuff like that hovers around Detroit.)

What band were you in that played there?

Andy Seven said:

Yeah, I played Kalamazoo at The Reptile House. Now that's one wild club back in the day.

• December 21, 2011 12:52 PM CST
    • Yeah, unfortunately that place didn't last too long. That side of the state doesn't have too many cool rock venues (the West side seems to be more college rock and jam band oriented, whereas the garage and stuff like that hovers around Detroit.)

What band were you in that played there?

Andy Seven said:

Yeah, I played Kalamazoo at The Reptile House. Now that's one wild club back in the day.

• December 21, 2011 12:36 PM CST
    • Yeah, I played Kalamazoo at The Reptile House. Now that's one wild club back in the day.

• December 21, 2011 12:20 PM CST
    • Cool, thanks for the response. If you're still interested in the God Bullies, they are actually based out of my hometown of Ypsilanti, MI (next to Ann Arbor, near Detroit). Mike Hard, the leader/singer of the band, lives in my neighborhood and still performs a bit. They are touring now as The Mike Hard Band (his band before that was Thrall), playing tunes from his back catalog as well as new stuff. My friend, Andy Furda (who also plays in a band with me) is Mike's guitarist. Mike still puts on one helluva weird show, getting super possessed and stuff. Just one of those FYI and small world things. 

Andy Seven said:

The Cows

Lubricated Goat (from Oz)

God Bullies

Don't know if Jesus Lizard qualifies as grunge, but they were pretty solid in my book.

And of course Babes In Toyland, Tad, and Boss Hog.

• December 21, 2011 10:49 AM CST
    • The Cows

Lubricated Goat (from Oz)

God Bullies

Don't know if Jesus Lizard qualifies as grunge, but they were pretty solid in my book.

And of course Babes In Toyland, Tad, and Boss Hog.

• December 21, 2011 12:22 PM CST
    • Listening to 'You're Really Something' not too shabby...

Justin Scarred said:

I haven't heard of almost any of these but from the couple I've just checked out they almost all seem rad. 

I put out a record in 2011 called "Live Fast Die Poor" it's punk rock but it ranges in influence from 60s pop/Motown to 77 Punk rock. Not like "Rah Rah" punk. I'll post up some more songs on my profile eventually, I've been meaning to, but it's been a busy month!

The Love Me Nots "the demon and the devotee" gets my vote though. It's phenomenal. 

• December 21, 2011 4:26 AM CST
    •  I haven't heard of almost any of these but from the couple I've just checked out they almost all seem rad. 

I put out a record in 2011 called "Live Fast Die Poor" it's punk rock but it ranges in influence from 60s pop/Motown to 77 Punk rock. Not like "Rah Rah" punk. I'll post up some more songs on my profile eventually, I've been meaning to, but it's been a busy month!

The Love Me Nots "the demon and the devotee" gets my vote though. It's phenomenal. 

• December 21, 2011 12:17 PM CST
    • Tom Waits is too cool, like Dylan or Keith Richards, ya can't bust him...

• December 21, 2011 3:27 AM CST
    • An ass pocket full of Whiskey - R.L. Burnside

Beware, it makes you do stupid things when drunk. R.L. is so cranky on this one, it's gonna get you.

• December 20, 2011 8:49 PM CST
    • You & I are definitely breathing the same air. Really anything by Tom Waits goes well with a bottle.

ixnayray said:

For me, there is no better album to get drunk to than Tom Waits 'Franks Wild Years' album.

• December 20, 2011 5:37 PM CST
    • For me, there is no better album to get drunk to than Tom Waits 'Franks Wild Years' album.

• December 20, 2011 3:17 PM CST
    • Off the top of my head,Alcoholics Unanimous' Dr. Kegger MD. I found this in Frisco's Epicenter, and despite the cover, bought it. Even the liner notes are great, and I think it's still available. Sounds kinda like Tom Waits if he ever made a tipsy, happy album. Tracks:

1 Ballad of Thunder Road
      2 Beer On The Horizon
      3 Rotgut
      4 DDon't Lose Your Head
      5 Who Is The Ale-Man?
      6 Drink, Fight And Fuck
      7 When The Beers Come Marching In
      8 Wasn't That A Party (!?)
      9 Six Pack to Go
      10 Hamms Beer Theme
      11 Millard Jones
      12 Booze Is The Answer '94
      13 Gunther Beer Theme
      14 Whiteport And Lemonjuice
      15 Gin Rickey
      16 My Bucket's Got a Hole In It
      17 You Have Just 20 Seconds
      18 Shittin' And Pukin' At The Same Time Blues
      19 Beer City

• December 21, 2011 10:33 AM CST
    • I have to agree with you Dave. Judas Priest and ZZ Top rocks. This cover of Man or astro-man is their ultimate ugly, I usually love their artwork, especially Destroy- all astro-men.  And Cath It can be found cool heavymetal artworks for my behalf.

• December 21, 2011 10:09 AM CST
    • Interestingly, Shindig never responded to an ad rate request.

Fuzz on in 2012 my freinds!

• December 21, 2011 9:43 AM CST
    • i sing im bigger than yuo to my midget freind

• December 20, 2011 5:14 PM CST
    • :-P

• December 20, 2011 4:06 PM CST
    • Don't be jealous.  :)  Gringo star is also crush worthy.

Gringo Starr said:

Holy shit! Those guys are supposed to be garage punkers?????!!! I just don't get it? Now, these guys make my panties moist:

• December 20, 2011 4:33 PM CST
    • Yes to Sonic Cool.

• December 20, 2011 3:55 PM CST
    • Yeh, I second that nomination, it's a great book about Joey and his relationship w/ his brother, bittersweet, but ultimately uplifting.

MikeL said:

BTW, another recommendation I would like to make is "I Slept With Joey Ramone," which is a very upclose and personal look at Joey Ramone, written by his brother and Legs McNeil. Sadly, you're going to find out that Joey could be a real asshole too in his own strange way, although a lot of it was due to his OCD.