Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis-TOM WAITS

Santa Baby-EARTHA KITT

Merry Christmas Baby-CHUCK BERRY

Santa Claus Is Back In Town-ELVIS PRESLEY

You're A Mean One Mr. Grinch-THURL RAVENSCROFT

Silver Bells-THE YOBS

Run Run Rudolph-MOTORHEAD

• December 24, 2011 2:43 PM CST
    • Looks like it's been awhile since anyone posted on this discussion but I'm gonna get in  anyway.

Gun Street Girl-TOM WAITS

Cherry Bomb-THE RUNAWAYS

On My Way To The Cage-ROLLINS BAND

Aenema-TOOL

Born With A Tail-SUPERSUCKERS

Indian Eyes-UNIFORM CHOICE

Bad Kids-THE BLACK LIPS

Sweet Invicta-WATTS

Big Bikes-KYUSS

Chick Habit-APRIL MARCH

• December 24, 2011 4:00 AM CST
    • Hey y'all

The Festive 50 2011 gets its first play at midnight tonight (GMT), with a warm-up show from 11pm.

Get there to see who Dandelion Radio listeners voted as the best tracks of the year!

Cheers, and Merry Christmas

Pete

www.dandelionradio.com

• December 24, 2011 1:25 AM CST
    • Charlie Harper

Lemmy

Not as old as some of the other's mentioned, but I think they are both pushing 70.

• December 24, 2011 1:20 AM CST
    • Once saw Andre Williams at the Viper Room here in Los Angeles. Lux & Ivy were in the audience and Andre acknowledging them as kindred spirits said "We may not be the same color, but we came from the same pussy"

• December 24, 2011 12:44 AM CST
    • Show #354: "Bands & Artists Starting With D, Part 9" playlist:

The Driving Stupid - "We've Come To Take The Earth Away"
      The Driving Wheels - "She's Got Me Running"
      The Drones [AL] - "You Can't Use Me No More"
      The Drones [CA] - "I'm Down Today"
      The Drongos - "Under My Thumb"
      Drugi Nacin - "Zuti List"
      Druid Chase - "Take Me In Your Garden"
      The Druids [CA] - "Sorry's Not Enough"
      The Druids [MA] - "Girl Can't Take A Joke"
      The Druids [NY] - "She's Got A Secret (To Hide)"
      The Druids Of Stonehenge - "Earthless"
      Drumbago's Orchestra - "Duck Soup"
      Don Drummond - "Green Island"
      Lee Drummond - "Baby I Know"
      The Dry City Scat Band - "Baldheaded End Of The Broom"
      The Dry Gins - "You're Through"
      Dry Ice [UK] - "Nowhere To Go"
      Dry Ice [US] - "Mary Is Alone"
      Dryewater - "After All (I Ain't Sleepy)"
      Karel Duba & His Guitar Men - "The Coach"
      The Dubliners - "Black Velvet Band"
      The Dubs - "You're Welcome"
      Ducks Deluxe - "Coast To Coast"
      Duffy - "Come Back, Come Back"
      Los Dug Dug's - "Hagámoslo Ahora: a. Sigueme, b. Dime Que Eres Tu?, c. Cortalo, d. Ven, Ven, Ven, e. Hagámoslo Ahora"
      The Dukes [GER] - "I'm An Unskilled Worker"
      The Dukes [NL] - "Try To Understand"
      The Dukes [US] - "First Time I Saw Her"
      Dukes Noblemen - "Thank You For Your Loving"
      Dulces Anos - "El Lobo Feroz"
      Lanny Duncan - "I Didn't Lie"
      Lesley Duncan - "Everything Changes"
      Dunn & McCashen - "Lydia Purple"
      Monte Dunn & Karen Cruz - "Yellow Cab"
      Dunno - "Magic Beat"
      Pete Dunton - "Taking Time"
      Duo Kribo - "Uang"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/354.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/354.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• December 23, 2011 6:35 PM CST
    • Yeah, I lost a 25 year collection. Big bummer, but at least I can Build one with no fluff in it... & it is super fun record shopping.  I want to focus more on 7"s this time.

Thanks for the tipsI love goner & Floridas Dying.  I just looked at Mindcure for a minute & WOW!

I love my local shops, but sometimes you just want that one weird thing that nobody stocks.

Cheers to ya.

• December 23, 2011 4:10 PM CST
    • Great news! I was just on a huge Chrome Cranks kick this week. I can't wait to hear the new one. 

• December 23, 2011 8:24 PM CST
    • http://soundcloud.com/velocity-of-sound/a-tunnel-through-the-air-the

I tried to do this earlier, but got it wrong... My apologies.

I really like this song by the Ceiling Stares, released on Velocity of Sound Records as a split 7" with the Supervacations. It made it to 29 in the Styrofoam Drone top 30 7"s of 2011.

Congrats to VSOR & the Ceiling Stares & the Supervacations!

• December 23, 2011 7:58 PM CST
    • Playlist for 12-23-11

Download or stream the entire Dec. 23 show right here. Find Zero Hour on Facebook here.

Trim Your Tree – Jimmy Butler
      Christmas in Vietnam – Pvt. Charles Bowen & The Gentlemen from Tigerland
      All I Want for Christmas is You – Carla Thomas
      Santa Claus – Jerry Clayton
      Santa Claus – Sonny Boy Williamson
      Christmas Blues – Ralph Willis

Club Delight – Jack Jolly
      Ain’t it a Shame – Kings Ransom
      Good Rockin’ Tonight – Dean Morgan
      Rock My Blues Away – Dean Morgan
      Tell Me – The Barefacts
      8 Teen - ? & The Mysterians
      99 Chicks (alt.) – Ron Haydock

Get Down With It – Bobby Marchan
      Wait a Minute – Barbara Stephens
      The Gorilla – The Ideals
      You Have My Blessings – Mary Johnson
      Town I Live In – Thee Midniters 
      Dragnet – Jesse Allen
      Let a Woman Through – Morine & the Zercons
      Anyway You Wanna – Harvey

Local Lunchbox
      I Can’t Cry No More – Harvey Scales & the Seven Sounds
      Little Latin Lupe Lu – Joey Gee & The Come-Ons
      Hot Tamales – Bobby Hatfield
      Come on Everybody – Suns of Mourning

Showdown – Tony Cassanova
      Cooler Weather (is Comin’) – Eddie Weldon
      Her Love Rubbed Off – Carl Perkins
      Shaften – The Corvettes
      Egyptian Shumba – Tammys
      Twist & Shout – The Nocturnes

Why Don’t You Tell Him? – Del Shannon
      Don’t Wait Up – Laura Lee Perkins
      Fool I Am – Pat Ferguson
      She Said Yeah – The Tracers
      Wild Hog Hop – Bennie Hess
      Irving – David Wilkins
      Oop Shank – Billy Boyd
      Watch Dog – Jimmy Good
      Mary Lou – Young Jessie
      Trying to Please – Jerry McCain & His Upstarts

Are You Ready for This? – The Blue Eyed Soul
      Suffocate – Johnny Wright
      If You Wanna Be Happy – The Keys
      A Night With Daddy G – The Church Street Five
      Back Door Santa – Clarence Carter
      Function on Broadway – Mae Parrish
      Broadway – Hank Ballard & the Midnighters

Dirty Old Man – The Sonics
      Gila Monster (alt.) – Joe Johnson
      Ju Ju Hand – Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs
      Spellbound – The Vandellas
      Hip Pocket – The Pac-Keys
      I’m Glad to Do It – C.L. Blast

The Girl With the Long Black Hair – The Other Half
      Homicide – Myron Lee & The Caddies
      Top Notch Grade A – Al Reed
      Hey-Sah-Lo-Ney – Mickey Lee Lane
      She Comes to See Me Sometimes (alt.) – Joe Hill Louis
      Grandmother Got Grandfather Told – Walter Horton
      Big City – The Pretty Things
      Run, Mister Rabbit, Run – Smiling Smokey Lynn

• December 23, 2011 7:40 PM CST
    • Here are some classic party starters:

• December 23, 2011 3:37 PM CST
    • I think anything by the Church Keys would fit in somewhere.... Maybe the song Church Key Stomp.

• December 23, 2011 6:03 PM CST
    • Glazin' by Jacuzzi Boys is pretty awesome, as well as the last Bad Sports LP. I also dig At Maximum Volume by the booze, a lot!

• December 23, 2011 4:03 PM CST
    • Don't have a pic, but easily the early Royal Trux album with the toilet filled with shit& vomit

• December 23, 2011 3:41 PM CST
    • Playlist Dec 22/2011....Annual Radio What Wave Christmess Show

1. Paul James Band...Run Run Rudolph...from a 7" he released back in 1986. Toronto guitarist who has shared the stage with everyone from Bob Dylan to Lightnin' Hopkins to Bo Diddley...or so the bio goes. Think i remember seeing him at Fryfogles here in London around 1980 as part of a trio doing the rock'n'roll thing.

2. Mach Bell...C'mon Santa...from the Xmas Snerts Gulcher download CD...Mach was in Thundertrain, a mid 70's protopunk combo from the Boston area.

3. Johnny Rabb...Christmas Dance...from the Midnight Christmess LP from 1984. Midnight Records was the NYC based label that documented a lot of the NYC mid 80's garage revival..ie Fuzztones, Tryfles, Cheepskates, Vipers, Outta Place and many others. It was also a really cool mail order and store back in those days...we'd take a suitcase full of What Wave zines down to Midnight and trade them for tons of cool records!

4. Razorbacks...All The Girls Look Prettier at Christmas Time...from a 1987 7" on Tradition Records. Razorbacks were a rockabilly trio, later a 4 piece based outta Toronto who did quite well for themselves in Canada back then. They always put on a highly energetic show.

5. Youngsters...Christmas In Jail...from the Black Christmas download and listed as a Cramps Christmas wantlist or something along those lines. Dedicated this one to Bandaloop Radio that plays fridays from 6 to 8PM here on CHRW as those guys are probably doing just what the song suggests.

6. Kenne Highland...Can I Crawl Down Your Chimney...from the Xmas Snerts Gulcher download CD. Kenne was an original punker as he was in The Gizmos, one of the first punk combos in North America. He also has relatives just west of London Ontario and has threatened to come up this way at some time.

7. 63 Monroe...White Christmas...from a 7" from 1984, London Ontario combo that is somehow still alive and released a 7" in 2011....and supposedly they have an LP coming out soon.

8. Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet...Santa Ho Ho Ho...from the Savvy Show Stoppers II CD that we somehow got from the official Shadowy Men website...there's also lots of pics of them playing here in London on that site.

9. Jack Scott...Trouble Brewin'...from the Black Christmas Download...from the man who wrote The Way I Walk which The Cramps have covered. Many years ago, Jack Scott played at the Victoria Park Bandshell here in London Ontario....

10. The Ramones...Merry Christmas I Don't Want To Fight Anymore...from the Brain Drain LP.

11. Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet...Winterfresh...from the Savvy Show Stoppers II CD.

12. Plan 9...Merry Christmas...from the Midnight Christmess LP. Plan 9 played here in London several times in the mid to late 80's and always put on great shows! They are still around today in a slightly different form.

13. MX 80 Sound...Christmas With The Devil...from the Xmas Snerts Gulcher download. MX 80 Sound were one of those bands that couldn't fit into any category in their early years...they weren't really metal, sorta hard rock, had some artrock tendencies, had 2 drummers at one point and released some of their early stuff on Ralph Records which was home to The Residents and other way out art bands.

14. Annual Christmas message from The Legendary Stardust Cowboy...the one and only who appeared on Laugh In playing his hit, Paralyzed back in the late 60's.

15. The Gruesomes...Santa Claus...from the Unchained EP on Primitive Records.

16. Marshmallow Overcoat...Santa Fuzz...from the 6 CD, The Complete Sound boxset that just came out. All of this Tucson based combo's output in one little box!

17. Annette and Frankie with The Ventures...The Night Before Christmas...from the LP All Year Party Volume 1 on Martian Records from 1984. This is a Rodney Bingenheimer production.

18. Bob Seger...Sock It To Me Santa...from the double LP Michigan Brand Nuggets...

19. Deja Voodoo...Bugs For Christmas...from the Too Cool To Live, Too Smart To Die EP on Midnight Records, 1985.

20. Sky Saxon...Christmas In The Court Room....from the LP Stuff This In Your Stocking! on Skyclad Records from 1990. Sky was in the legendary Seeds and had the misfortune of passing away on the same day as Michael Jackson.

21. Das Furlines...O Tannenbaum Now...from the LP Midnight Christmess Again!! NYC based all female combo who were a Monks tribute band and actually played here in London Ontario in the late 80's...it was a phenomenal show that involved a large conch, dancing on the stage with the band, maybe a dance contest and a TON of fun!!!

22. The Tryfles...Gloria (In Excelsis Deo)...from the Midnight Christmess LP. Remember seeing this combo opening up for The Fuzztones and someone yelled out for guitarist John Fay to put his fist in his mouth...John made his hand into a fist and fit it into his own mouth!! Try it...can't do it, can you! John went on to play for metal bands after his garagerock days.

23. Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet...Christmas Message...from the Brave New Waves show on CBC.

24. Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet...Xmas Medley...as above.

25. Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet...Deck The Halls...as above.

26. Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet...Silver Bells...as above.

27. Slickee Boys...Hazy Shades Of Winter...from the Midnight Christmess Again!! LP. Washington DC based combo, who were one of the very first of the mid 70's band to delve into the 60's to help create this garagepunk that we all love to this day. I was a card carrying member of their fan club and we got to see them in about 1984 playing at Irving Plaza in NYC.

28. Phil Spector...Silent Night...from the Phil Spector Christmas LP. Great way to end a Christmas special with a convicted murderer doing a semi rap over Christmas music. Kinda creepy in a way, but if you look at any recent picture of Phil, he sure does look creepy!

Happy Holidays to all of our loyal listeners and we'll be back next week with more noise to annoy!

Here's a link to the podcast:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/..94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• December 23, 2011 3:21 PM CST
    • John Lee Hooker's "House Rent Boogie" pairs well with whiskey (I'm a Jameson man), sort of slowly warming you up & easing you into a soft buzz. I also like knocking back a few with The Pogues "Rake At The Gates Of Hell", Boiled In Lead "My Son John" & "Tom & Jerry/The Nine Points Of Roguery" & Dropkick Murphys version of "Rocky Road To Dublin"

• December 23, 2011 3:03 PM CST
    • First heard this by Sapphire The Uppity Blues Women. Good stuff.

dave said:

Look, what I just found,

'Sloppy Drunk Blues' BUMBLE BEE SLIM (1935) Sloppy!

• December 23, 2011 2:57 PM CST
    • This song is a mainstay on one of the community radio programs in St. Louis. The show is Bob's Scratchy Records & can be enjoyed on the interweb at kdhx.org.

• December 23, 2011 2:40 PM CST
    • The only good disco crap is DEAD disco!!!!!!! You don't need sterile disco crap to take chix to bed/home:):):):).

John Battles said:

EVEN PEOPLE WHO ARE'NT SO YOUNG CAN ONLY DANCE TO A DRUM MACHINE......

My take on it , Disco was introduced to the US , from Western Europe , when demand for live music was at an all time low. Of course , that , very slowly , changed with Punk. Regardless of what Spike Lee would have us believe ( Like New York Punkers in 1977 WITH GIANT GREEN GBH MOHAWKS !) , a lot of people went to Studio 54 AND Max's and CBGB's.

The idea was , that it was easier to pick someone up and take them home for some anonymous sex at a Disco , even if you DID hate the music , than at a Rock club.

Of course , the music only got worse with time , but , by and large , you did'nt have to hear much of it if you did'nt go to the Discos. Not unless you listened to whatever stations were playing the  innocuous garbage. But , the Rock stations that fought back were'nt playing MUCH better music , in hindsight. Disco just made people complacent , most people must have known it was a fad. Still , things have'nt changed THAT much. IF I GO OUT FOR THE DAY , AND I ONLY HAVE THREE HIP HOP SONGS PLAYED AT ME , AT FULL VOLUME , it has'nt been a bad day. I'VE BEEN TOLD I WAS "CLOSED MINDED" FOR NOT EMBRACING RAP AND HIP HOP , BUT I'D RATHER HEAR INSTRUMENTS PLAYED BADLY , AND SONGS SUNG POORLY , THAN SOMEONE WHO LETS MACHINES DO EVERYTHING FOR THEM. I WON'T DENY OTHER PEOPLE THEIR RIGHT TO LISTEN TO IT , BUT , WHY DO I HAVE TO? DANCE MUSIC , HOUSE MUSIC , INDUSTRIAL DANCE MUSIC , HIP HOP , RAP , is there THAT big a difference between that and Disco? I know musicians who lug their guitars and drums and amps to their gigs , often for no pay , are not as "Revolutionary" as some DJ with an orange parlor tan , chains , and a fresh fingernail polish who gets $500 and $100 IN TIPS , AT LEAST , but , if you love it , stick with it , because sometime that's all there is that's left , is the love of it.

sleazy said:

I have heard many young people thnk the only danceable music is crappy "disco music" (crappy, esp the late 70s disco duck, YMCA-oriented wimpy stuff........as if dancing started oin the late 70s and early 80s, hahahahhahahahahhahahah...what creeps:):)!!!! What does the word "disco music" even mean??! Beats me :):)!!!! Young people have been dancing since the dawn of ages....."discos" or discoteques were created in the late 50s and the chix and teens really went wild unlike the plastic, sterile dancing to the Lady Gagas of today :):):)!!!

GOOO..GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...GGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GO GO CHIX ;););)