Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 20, 2011 3:08 PM CST
    • Cool:)  Glad you like them.

dave said:

Yeah, listening to 'em now, pretty good stuff, kinda that space between Blondie and the Muffs.

MikeL said:

How about "More Seduction" by Manda and the Marbles?  Yes, I know some of you are sick and tired of me harping on Manda and the Marbles, but that's my choice for an overlooked gem.  Super catchy pop tunes crafted with a mix of new wave and power pop, with just a hint of bubblegum.  I'm still surprised this band never went on to bigger and better things.

• December 20, 2011 3:06 PM CST
    • I'm also nominating Steel Wool's Lucky Boy as a lost gem. This Seattle band is punk, but they put their own stamp on their sound. Between tracks is dialogue and sounds they collected on tour. Includes a lung-searing cover of CCR's Pagan Baby, I don't remember any clunkers on it, actually. Around the same time they released a killer 45 "Devil's Night"/"Krypto70s" w/ a beautiful silk-screened cover and a lock-groove at the end of the A-side. Hit those crates, kids!

• December 20, 2011 3:00 PM CST
    • Yeah, listening to 'em now, pretty good stuff, kinda that space between Blondie and the Muffs.

MikeL said:

How about "More Seduction" by Manda and the Marbles?  Yes, I know some of you are sick and tired of me harping on Manda and the Marbles, but that's my choice for an overlooked gem.  Super catchy pop tunes crafted with a mix of new wave and power pop, with just a hint of bubblegum.  I'm still surprised this band never went on to bigger and better things.

• December 20, 2011 2:22 PM CST
    • How about "More Seduction" by Manda and the Marbles?  Yes, I know some of you are sick and tired of me harping on Manda and the Marbles, but that's my choice for an overlooked gem.  Super catchy pop tunes crafted with a mix of new wave and power pop, with just a hint of bubblegum.  I'm still surprised this band never went on to bigger and better things.

• December 20, 2011 12:51 PM CST
    • Hey, thanks for da post, I saw these guys in Austin just before Blue Dirge came out, and their show was 1 of the high points of the year (the Drags played at the same venue, the Electric Lounge, and also tore it up.).

Whoa, podcast by Steve, huh? Been looking fer 'The Nightrider's Theme' on Youtube, man, you know I'll check that out! I'll search for that 1st LP,

Gringo Starr said:

You really nailed this one. The Beguiled are one of the most overlooked and under rated bands. If Blue Dirge sent you for a loop, their first album on Dionysus, "Gone Away" is an absolute classic and unbelievably overlooked. These guys were good friends of mine and I saw them play often in O.C. and Los Angeles in the '80s. Steve Pallow, who played bass with the band is a podcaster here on Garage Punk Pirate Radio (Uncle Ya Ya) and is currently ripping up the stage with his new act Haunted George! 

http://www.discogs.com/Beguiled-Gone-Away/release/2393749

(RIP Mike Ball - the guitarist for The Beguiled - killed by a drunk driver in 1995)

• December 20, 2011 6:58 AM CST
    • You really nailed this one. The Beguiled are one of the most overlooked and under rated bands. If Blue Dirge sent you for a loop, their first album on Dionysus, "Gone Away" is an absolute classic and unbelievably overlooked. These guys were good friends of mine and I saw them play often in O.C. and Los Angeles in the '80s. Steve Pallow, who played bass with the band is a podcaster here on Garage Punk Pirate Radio (Uncle Ya Ya) and is currently ripping up the stage with his new act Haunted George! 

http://www.discogs.com/Beguiled-Gone-Away/release/2393749

(RIP Mike Ball - the guitarist for The Beguiled - killed by a drunk driver in 1995)

• December 20, 2011 2:51 PM CST
    • Nothing beats her Acid Queen and Nutbush City Limits period:):):)!!!!!

• December 20, 2011 2:04 PM CST
    • ...Oh , and Suzi Brack , too. More camp than Yellowstone , but , straight guys dig it , too.

• December 20, 2011 2:03 PM CST
    • I failed to mention Suzi Quatro , her sisters , Nanci and Patti , and her niece , Sherrilynn (DOES SHE PLAY MUSIC? Sorry , who cares?)...... AND -

Local Pride Series (Chicago ) - Michelle Manson ("The Devil's Bride" - Kim Fowley.) and Jill (The Dyes), Traci Trouble , Patti Elvis , Miss Alex White , Miss Mia Park ,

Former , and very briefly , bandmates of mine : Sherrilynn N.(She CAN play an instrument , very well , I might add.) , Michelle P. , Theresa D. 

John Battles said:

Yep. People forget , Tina used to be great. In the 80's , she accepted an "R&B Singer of the year award" by saying "Why are you giving me this?! I HAVE'NT SUNG R & B IN 15 YEARS !!".

Anyway , Wanda Jackson , Janis Martin , Cordell Jackson , Nancy Sinatra , Ronnie Spector , Sugar Pie De Santo , Ann - Margret , Mary Weiss , Etta James , Barbara Lynn , Lorrie Collins ,

Lulu , Brenda Lee , Gale Garnett , Buffy St. Marie , Mariska Veres , Susan Jacks , Exene Cervenka , Poly Styrene , Poison Ivy , Toody Cole , Buffi Aguerro , Chris Horne , Heidi Liebe ,

Paula Pierce , others. 

• December 20, 2011 12:46 PM CST
    • John,

Thanks for the feedback. You've enlightened me in regards to the difference in strings!

John Carlucci said:

I have found that the re-issue Dan Electros are okay soundwise, but the feel of the neck, most notably, the fret dressing is sub-par. The smaller tuning pegs can also present a problem when trying to find replacement strings. You will need tapered strings that are thin enough to go through the smaller peg holes. I have a Jerry Jones Longhorn bass, which is like a Dano, but much better, and I use D'addario XL170S strings. Those are tapered enough to fit through the tiny peg holes...but a Long Scale bass will need different strings. So keep that in mind. When Dano re-issues first appeared in the 90's, they also had a line of strings for every instrument they made. I don't see those any more.

• December 20, 2011 12:37 PM CST

• No problem, thanks for replying. It's great to meet so many like-minded people :)
      Cath said:

That's great! Thanks Dave for starting this thread & thanks to all who answer, I need to listen to more actual bands too.

• December 20, 2011 12:35 PM CST
    • Got it on right now, thanks fer the thumbs-up. Lord Knows Best, uptempo piano, but the rest is prozac music, weird, you hit the nail on the head 'Lynchian'...

LaLa Rosenberg said:

Has anyone heard the album Badlands by Dirty Beaches? It's like a Lynchian nightmare in a good way. Very haunting rockabilly. That has to be my 2011 fave fo sho.

• December 20, 2011 12:32 PM CST
    • Righteous! I'll look 'em up.

Axel Björnsson said:

hmmm. The Moonhearts and The People's Temple had a great records this year.

• December 20, 2011 10:47 AM CST
    • I may have to search out that Dead Elvis dude too. I think you might have to get it from his website. Which would be a first for me as I've become lazy in hunting out music that isn't on spotify or iTunes...Has anyone got his lp? Is it worth a damn? I love his videos and the whole concept.

• December 20, 2011 10:41 AM CST
    • Has anyone heard the album Badlands by Dirty Beaches? It's like a Lynchian nightmare in a good way. Very haunting rockabilly. That has to be my 2011 fave fo sho.

• December 20, 2011 2:57 AM CST
    • hmmm. The Moonhearts and The People's Temple had a great records this year.

• December 20, 2011 12:30 PM CST
    • Well, yeah, music=good, cover=bad...

Axel Björnsson said:

but when we're talking about good music..

• December 20, 2011 12:28 PM CST
    • Good examples! Love The Priest, and early ZZ Top (el loco & back), but Whew! those covers... Yeah, I like that "New Wave" style of illo., like that 2nd Damned LP.

Axel Björnsson said:

I don't get it with the buzzcocks. cool cover

I personally dislike most covers from 80's power/thrash metal bands. 

• December 20, 2011 2:32 AM CST
    • but when we're talking about good music..

• December 20, 2011 2:25 AM CST
    • I don't get it with the buzzcocks. cool cover

I personally dislike most covers from 80's power/thrash metal bands. 

• December 20, 2011 7:14 AM CST
    • Holy shit! Those guys are supposed to be garage punkers?????!!! I just don't get it? Now, these guys make my panties moist:

• December 19, 2011 9:16 PM CST
    • Ladies, who are your garage punk boy crushes?  I heart Biters:

• December 20, 2011 2:54 AM CST
    • How about the COFFINSHAKERS?

PS: It's never to late for SPOOK ROCK ;)

• December 20, 2011 2:26 AM CST
    • Hell yeah! Thanks for that, I was spoonfed on Chrome Cranks.

• December 19, 2011 5:57 PM CST
    • EVEN PEOPLE WHO ARE'NT SO YOUNG CAN ONLY DANCE TO A DRUM MACHINE......

My take on it , Disco was introduced to the US , from Western Europe , when demand for live music was at an all time low. Of course , that , very slowly , changed with Punk. Regardless of what Spike Lee would have us believe ( Like New York Punkers in 1977 WITH GIANT GREEN GBH MOHAWKS !) , a lot of people went to Studio 54 AND Max's and CBGB's.

The idea was , that it was easier to pick someone up and take them home for some anonymous sex at a Disco , even if you DID hate the music , than at a Rock club.

Of course , the music only got worse with time , but , by and large , you did'nt have to hear much of it if you did'nt go to the Discos. Not unless you listened to whatever stations were playing the  innocuous garbage. But , the Rock stations that fought back were'nt playing MUCH better music , in hindsight. Disco just made people complacent , most people must have known it was a fad. Still , things have'nt changed THAT much. IF I GO OUT FOR THE DAY , AND I ONLY HAVE THREE HIP HOP SONGS PLAYED AT ME , AT FULL VOLUME , it has'nt been a bad day. I'VE BEEN TOLD I WAS "CLOSED MINDED" FOR NOT EMBRACING RAP AND HIP HOP , BUT I'D RATHER HEAR INSTRUMENTS PLAYED BADLY , AND SONGS SUNG POORLY , THAN SOMEONE WHO LETS MACHINES DO EVERYTHING FOR THEM. I WON'T DENY OTHER PEOPLE THEIR RIGHT TO LISTEN TO IT , BUT , WHY DO I HAVE TO? DANCE MUSIC , HOUSE MUSIC , INDUSTRIAL DANCE MUSIC , HIP HOP , RAP , is there THAT big a difference between that and Disco? I know musicians who lug their guitars and drums and amps to their gigs , often for no pay , are not as "Revolutionary" as some DJ with an orange parlor tan , chains , and a fresh fingernail polish who gets $500 and $100 IN TIPS , AT LEAST , but , if you love it , stick with it , because sometime that's all there is that's left , is the love of it.

sleazy said:

I have heard many young people thnk the only danceable music is crappy "disco music" (crappy, esp the late 70s disco duck, YMCA-oriented wimpy stuff........as if dancing started oin the late 70s and early 80s, hahahahhahahahahhahahah...what creeps:):)!!!! What does the word "disco music" even mean??! Beats me :):)!!!! Young people have been dancing since the dawn of ages....."discos" or discoteques were created in the late 50s and the chix and teens really went wild unlike the plastic, sterile dancing to the Lady Gagas of today :):):)!!!

GOOO..GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...GGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GO GO CHIX ;););)