Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 22, 2011 1:47 PM CST
    • "Guiness is what I drink when I'm not drinking." -Shane Macgowan

• December 22, 2011 12:24 PM CST
    • Henry Rollins

As long as I tell the truth I feel that nobody can touch me.

• December 22, 2011 12:22 PM CST
    • Peter Prescott

Punk rock is unique and individual and is not for everybody, so almost by definition it can’t be popular.

• December 22, 2011 12:21 PM CST
    • michael azerrad, from Our Band Could Be Your Life

“The 80s were a little like the 50s- it was sort of a conservative era, money conscious, politically nasty, and Republican… And usually that means there’s going to be a good underground. There’s something to get pissed off with communally.”

-mission of burma drummer peter prescott

“It’s like living in the 60s again. It was like a nihilist hippie movement, that’s all it was.”
      -thurston moore on punk

“People got this idea that ultimately what mattered was the quality of what you were doing and how much importance you gave to it, regardless of how widespread it became or how many records it sold.” - lee renaldo

It was about viewing as a virtue what most saw as a limitation. […]
      You could jam econo on your job, in your buying habits, in your whole way of living. You could take this particulear approach to music and apply it to just about anything else you wanted to. You could be beholden only to yourself and the values and people you respected. You could take charge of your own existence. Or as the Minutemen put it in a song, “Our band could be your life.”
      -from our band could be your life

• December 22, 2011 12:18 PM CST
    • Killing Joke

It was while rampaging across Europe that Killing Joke hooked up with Konrad “ Conny” Plank, the legendary producer/madman who had famously produced Can, Neu!, and Moebius. Plank provided the inspiration for their third album, Revelations, encouraging Ferguson’s love of the occult, and drawing out for the first time the facination with Masonic imagery which later inspired a number of songs. […] Coleman developed a career as composer in residence for the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra ( the country where he now lives most of the time)
      -from Al Spicer’s rough guide to punk

• December 22, 2011 12:16 PM CST
    • The Butthole Surfers

The influences were clear; the cacophonous jungle howl of the Birthday Party; the Fall’s caustic chants; Pere Ubu’s art-punk; the synthetic mystique of the Residents; the eerie, bleak side of Public Image, Ltd.; and the turgid, rambling assault of Flipper.
      -Micheal Azerrad on the Butthole Surfers, from Our Band Could Be Your Life

When an interviewer asked why Haynes electronically manipulated his voice so much, Leary explained, “It’s just because, y’know, he’s got knobs and he can do it. It’s like, why does a dog lick its balls?”

• December 22, 2011 12:14 PM CST
    • john doe

People knew Devo for some reason, so that’s what hicks would yell out of their pickups to slag you: “De-e-e-v-o!” or “F-a-a-g!” You could elicit that response  by wearing tight black jeans and a leather jacket with a regular haircut. Here we were in Hollywood, where you’re supposed to be able to do anything and not faze people, and the general public was offended by this style. Everyone I knew just scratched their head, wondering what it was that pissed people off so much, but it gave you the feeling that you were fighting the good fight.

-from we got the neutron bomb

• December 22, 2011 12:11 PM CST
    • Mark E. Smith & The Fall

“If you can’t deliver it like a garage band, fuck it.” -Mark E. Smith

“It’s possible that John can form some kind of nightmarish career out of his enthusiasm for unlistenable records.”- john peel’s school report, 1950’s

“The Fall’s Peel Box, and by association, their recorded output in general, reads as a secret history of the last 3 decades of popular music.” - stewart lee, the wire primers

• December 22, 2011 12:10 PM CST
    • ed sanders

Punks reminded me of armadillos: people whose attire was a kind of armor to protect themslelves from the tentacles arising from the iridium to get them.

-from legs mcneil and gillian mccain’s please kill me

• December 21, 2011 3:29 PM CST
    • Damn, computer's fucking with me. In the meantime please enjoy this article I just found:

A History of Punk

• December 22, 2011 1:41 PM CST
    • First show was John Denver when I was a kid. 

First punk show was Fugazi for the Repeater tour. 

Best show might have been Nobunny this past summer, but i have been lucky enought to see some great ones over the years. 

• December 22, 2011 1:38 PM CST
    • Shit, you're from Texas? Cool, did you ever see Really Red (I always missed 'em)? Yeah, regarding Lithium Xmas, my friend Scott Edgerton had a younger brother who was (I think) and original member. Small world... Stickmen w/ Rayguns, everyone I know was scared shitless of Bobby Sox. When I visited Dallas, tho', he seemed like a nice guy to me. Wish I'd seen the Surfers when they were at their most chaotic. I met Gibby and Paul, very cool folks, but that was years later. You made the rounds!

John Battles said:

First show ever - KISS , July , 1976 , with Bob Seger (Still kicking ass - check out "Live Bullet" , if it sets you back over a dollar , you was robbed.)  , and the now - popular Power Pop cult heroes , Artful Dodger. I was 11 years old (Before it was the norm to be a preteen at a KISS concert.) , so , of course , I loved it. I thought everyone on the bill was really good , actually.

This show got me out of a potential hazing when I started Jr. High. Some uptight older kid was giving me a lot of shit , when another one said , "Hey. Leave that guy alone. He was at The KISS concert.".

First Punk show ? uhhhhhh....Some people would say "That's not Punk , that's New Wave" , to which I'd say , "That's not I don't give a shit , that's I really don't give a shit."

But , the first show of note , for me , was at a house party in Denton , Texas , 1980 . My Brother's band at the time , The Jetsons (Feat. The future MC 900Ft. Jesus , Mark Griffin.)were playing with Chef Physique and Brave Combo , who used to be GREAT , no World Music , just Garge Rock Polka.). That was when I realized , like Leo Sayer put it "Hmmm...now waitaminnit ...I CAN DAAAAAANCE!!!". I was on the fence about a lot of the new music , but , that show turned my head around (Tho' we had to miss Brave Combo.).

Useless trivia : Mark Griffin went on to become a founding member of Lithium XMas , the still underrated Heavy Psych outfit. Several years later , my Brother , Tom Battles , joined the band , as well , and , in between , the Husband and Wife team that led Chef Physique briefly joined Lithium Xmas ( Who had NINE members at the time. Plan 9 only had eight .). 

Until I had an ID stating that I was 19 , tho' (All the cool kids had believable fake IDs , they tell me.), I did'nt see a lot of bands besides The Jetsons , The Telefones , 10 minutes of Chron Gen , Plimsouls ('81) , Robin Lane and The Chartbusters (same) , The Clash (82) The Stray Cats (same) and The Dead Kennedys w/MDC , Hugh Beaumont Experience , Butthole Surfers and Stickmen With Rayguns, also in '82 . DKs WERE VERY GOOD , I WAS STILL REALLY INTO 'EM. Hugh Beaumont Experience had their moments , they were pretty funny. They were all younger than me , which was encouraging.

• December 22, 2011 1:29 PM CST
    • The B-52's, so classic! You're lucky, I've always missed 'em. Fun should be priority no.1...

Yeah, hardcore pretty much destroyed punk for me. I wouldn't even read MRR for years, it was synonymous w/ hardcore. Luckily, I learned about all those other sub-genres...

Jager, whew, licorice blackout ("and last"). Amen to that.

Alison said:

My first show was the B-52's at Six Flags Over Georgia when I was 13 - it was after Love Shack had come out.

By the time I came of age, "punk" just was a bunch of insecure, asshole "hardcore" dudes, so I can't say I saw a real punk show until 2006 when I saw The Avengers play CBGB's.  They were great of course.

My best show was on my 21st birthday when I went to see the band Toenut play at The Point in Atlanta.  They said happy birthday to me from the stage and when the clock struck midnight I legally had my first and last shot of Jager.

• December 21, 2011 10:28 PM CST
    • First show ever - KISS , July , 1976 , with Bob Seger (Still kicking ass - check out "Live Bullet" , if it sets you back over a dollar , you was robbed.)  , and the now - popular Power Pop cult heroes , Artful Dodger. I was 11 years old (Before it was the norm to be a preteen at a KISS concert.) , so , of course , I loved it. I thought everyone on the bill was really good , actually.

This show got me out of a potential hazing when I started Jr. High. Some uptight older kid was giving me a lot of shit , when another one said , "Hey. Leave that guy alone. He was at The KISS concert.".

First Punk show ? uhhhhhh....Some people would say "That's not Punk , that's New Wave" , to which I'd say , "That's not I don't give a shit , that's I really don't give a shit."

But , the first show of note , for me , was at a house party in Denton , Texas , 1980 . My Brother's band at the time , The Jetsons (Feat. The future MC 900Ft. Jesus , Mark Griffin.)were playing with Chef Physique and Brave Combo , who used to be GREAT , no World Music , just Garge Rock Polka.). That was when I realized , like Leo Sayer put it "Hmmm...now waitaminnit ...I CAN DAAAAAANCE!!!". I was on the fence about a lot of the new music , but , that show turned my head around (Tho' we had to miss Brave Combo.).

Useless trivia : Mark Griffin went on to become a founding member of Lithium XMas , the still underrated Heavy Psych outfit. Several years later , my Brother , Tom Battles , joined the band , as well , and , in between , the Husband and Wife team that led Chef Physique briefly joined Lithium Xmas ( Who had NINE members at the time. Plan 9 only had eight .). 

Until I had an ID stating that I was 19 , tho' (All the cool kids had believable fake IDs , they tell me.), I did'nt see a lot of bands besides The Jetsons , The Telefones , 10 minutes of Chron Gen , Plimsouls ('81) , Robin Lane and The Chartbusters (same) , The Clash (82) The Stray Cats (same) and The Dead Kennedys w/MDC , Hugh Beaumont Experience , Butthole Surfers and Stickmen With Rayguns, also in '82 . DKs WERE VERY GOOD , I WAS STILL REALLY INTO 'EM. Hugh Beaumont Experience had their moments , they were pretty funny. They were all younger than me , which was encouraging.

• December 21, 2011 6:48 PM CST
    • My first show was the B-52's at Six Flags Over Georgia when I was 13 - it was after Love Shack had come out.

By the time I came of age, "punk" just was a bunch of insecure, asshole "hardcore" dudes, so I can't say I saw a real punk show until 2006 when I saw The Avengers play CBGB's.  They were great of course.

My best show was on my 21st birthday when I went to see the band Toenut play at The Point in Atlanta.  They said happy birthday to me from the stage and when the clock struck midnight I legally had my first and last shot of Jager.

• December 22, 2011 1:25 PM CST
    • More cuteness:

• December 22, 2011 1:16 PM CST
    • Ha Ha! :)

Mina said:

I also have a crush on Daleks. I find those plumber arms and whatever the other thing is called in English very kinky. ;-)

• December 22, 2011 1:14 PM CST
    • Man Or Astroman's verson of Frosty The Snowman.

• December 22, 2011 1:00 PM CST
    • Share your favorite surf/instrumental Christmas song:

• December 22, 2011 9:17 AM CST
    • Why don't you try Lost In Tyme from Greece? is about the recent global garage scene.

• December 22, 2011 12:28 AM CST
    • Every single Billy Childish album.

• December 21, 2011 11:02 PM CST
    • There's so many.....But , since I was just talking about 'em-

Lithium Xmas "Aneurysm" (Cassette only. Some of the same material turned up on a CD , "Bad Karma" (?) , years later. ). Total mindfuck Hard Psych. Covers of Beefheart , Ultimate Spinach , Alice Cooper Group , Nilsson , Red Krayola , Lemon Pipers , George Harrison and the cast of "Godspell". No mere Psych Replacements , they made every song their own , with room for songs of their own.....But , what they could do with "The Iron Butterfly Theme" , now that , you should hear (It appears on "Helldorado" , a collection of then - new originals and covers from the early days.).

Washington Dead Cats (Same?)  Also cassette only. French Psych/Psycho/Horror Rock , with Pere Ubu embellishments. They're still around . These hommes did not suck The Meteors' tit. They were into something different , altogether.

David Bowie "The Man Who Sold The World" - Maybe not underrated , so much as overlooked , it has the unfortunate disctinction of preceding "Ziggy Stardust", and , largely , only remembered , today , because Nirvana covered the title track. T. Tex Edwards' version of "Black Country Rock" is so much better , it's not funny. This album reeks of nihilism and paranoia . and it's as heavy , or moreso , as the first two Sabs' records.Marc Bolan's on it , too !

Slade on Stage  - I know it's quite likely no one will back me on this , but , of their three official live LPs , I've always thought this one was hands down , no contest , the best.

It's 1982 ,the band is just getting on their feet again . Two years prior to their one good - sized American hit , and more than 5 years since a real chart single in The UK (Barring Re- appearances of "Merry Christmas , Everybody.") , the band had just recently set Reading ABLAZE with a surprise appearance , and they were'nt looking back.

Faster than a speeding Punk record , Heavier than The New Wave of British Heavy Metal , capable of turning England over to The Geordies with one detonation of the atom bomb blast that is Noddy Holder...... LOOK ! UP ON STAGE !!! fuck me , IT's SLAAAAAAAAAAADE !!!!!!

• December 21, 2011 7:06 PM CST
    • John Brannon, singer for Laughing Hyenas, has been playing more lately, too. He is fronting Negative Approach approach again (both of which are bands from my town). 

His voice sounds as good as ever.

Andy Seven said:

Speaking of Michigan, I also like The Laughing Hyenas, an amazing band.

• December 21, 2011 5:18 PM CST
    • Speaking of Michigan, I also like The Laughing Hyenas, an amazing band.

• December 21, 2011 3:57 PM CST
    • Wow, crazy article, well done! If they stop making CD's, it won't be any big deal to me. They've never had the emotional connection that I have w/ vinyl, tho' they were handy to carry around and play at work. I think Billy Childish called them drink coasters. Besides the cold digital sound, CD's don't have colored wax, readable lyrics, decent-sized art, gimmicks in mastering (33/45 singles, plays from outside-in, etc.). While I never cared about selling CD's, selling records genuinely hurt. Good riddance, I say...