Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 10, 2011 3:07 AM CST

• Soul singer Howard Tate died last week at the age of 72 following a bout with cancer.

I loved the man's music.

I'm not sure what it was back in the summer of 1975 that led me to buy that LP by a soul singer I'd never heard before in the bargain bin of some Albuquerque discount store. The singer's cool pompadour probably had something to do with it. And the 79-cent price tag sealed the deal.

But I bought that album by Howard Tate and it quickly became a favorite. At the time I didn't even realize that this was original version of Janis Joplin's swan song, "Get it While You Can." There was no copyright date, so I mistakenly assumed he was covering Janis.

There were some songs I associated with B.B. King — “Every Day I Have the Blues, ” “How Blue Can You Get?” and “Ain’t Nobody Home” as well as other electric blues like the song “Part Time Lover.”

But the basic sound was horn-driven, gospel-rooted soul. The Georgia-born, Philadelphia-raised singer had more in common with Sam Cooke than B.B. There were funny tunes like “How Come My Bulldog Don’t Bark” and “Look at Granny Run Run." And there were powerful soul-on-fire pleas like “I Learned It All the Hard Way” and the title song.

The primary songwriter, as well as producer, was Jerry Ragovoy, whose songwriting credits include the classic tunes “Time Is on My Side” and “Piece of My Heart” as well as “Get It While You Can.” (Ragovoy died earlier this year.)

Around the same time I discovered Tate in the cut-out bin, Tate had said goodbye to the music industry and was about to embark on a decades-long descent into the shadows.

Here's what I wrote about that in my review of his 2003 comeback album Rediscovered:

Frustrated with his lack of success, Tate turned to selling insurance for a living about that time. For years none of his old friends in the music industry knew what had happened to him. Ragovoy tried to locate Tate in the early ’80s because European promoters wanted to book him.

As recently as 1995, a CD reissue of Get It While You Can put it this way: “Sometime in the 1970s, he disappeared into legend.”

Disappeared into hell is more like it. Tragedy struck the Tate family in 1976. There was a fire at his home, and his 13-year-old daughter was killed.

A few years later he was divorced and, in his own words, “started hanging out with the wrong crowd.” Years of drugs, drink and destitution followed.

Those hellish years continued until 1994, when Tate found religion. Eventually he started his own ministry in Philadelphia, The Gift of the Cross Church.

It wasn’t until 2001 that Howard Tate was rediscovered. Ron Kennedy, one of Harold Melvin’s Blue Notes, saw Tate at a supermarket in New Jersey. Seems that a local DJ, Phil Casden, inspired by the CD release of Get It While You Can, had periodically been asking listeners to help find Tate. This fortunate encounter led to the new album. Tate hooked up with Casden and reunited with Ragovoy, and the Internet helped spread the good news.

So Howard got his comeback. He never became a household word like Otis Redding or Wilson Pickett, he  made some fine records in his final years. I'll play some of those on a tribute Sunday on Terrell's Sound World.

Here's a nice piece in the great Funky 16 Corners blog.

And enjoy the videos below.

s

• December 10, 2011 2:34 AM CST
    • Saw that 'Human Fly' commercial here in Finland, too. But it's not the Cramps original. It's some lame coverversion.

• December 10, 2011 2:05 AM CST
    • Agree with this dude. But i guess I can only really blame myself for lack of content since I myself don't contribute enough to the groups as I would like too. Favorite obviously the PODCASTs, what attracted me to the original garagepunk forums and old podcast site. Everything else if pretty sweet too, the music(and the discover of new music), the people, the videos, etc. 

Marty Shane, Pacifiction Records said: 

Least favorite thing: All the action seems focused in the main forum and not enough going on in the groups.

• December 9, 2011 12:21 PM CST
    • If you're not in favor of airing your grievances publicly you can always just DM me.

Tommy Careless said:

My favourite thing is actually not the podcasts, I rarely listen to them. I am always impressed when I do, but it's always a question of time with me, and I just don't have the free time nowadays...  My favourite thing is however, the amount of people that post on here that are NOT from North America.  I live in Atlantic Canada, and more specifically a fairly culture-less part of the east coast.  So to read the thoughts and opinions of people that are based so far away is awlays of interest to me.

I do have a least favourite thing about this place, but as it is a free service and the good greatly out weighs the bad ( more of a slight greivence really ) I feel it would be looking a gift horse in the mouth to complain.  

Blah blah blah,

~T

• December 9, 2011 12:18 PM CST
    • Ah, well you're always welcome to start one of your own! ;)

Primitiva Psychedelia said:

Podcasts

kopper said:

Are you talking about in the forum discussions, groups, podcasts, or what, specifically?

LOVE the site for sure, but I do wish there was more soul, exotica and old school blues.

• December 9, 2011 12:17 PM CST
    • Podcasts

kopper said:

Are you talking about in the forum discussions, groups, podcasts, or what, specifically?

LOVE the site for sure, but I do wish there was more soul, exotica and old school blues.

• December 9, 2011 12:11 PM CST
    • My favourite thing is actually not the podcasts, I rarely listen to them. I am always impressed when I do, but it's always a question of time with me, and I just don't have the free time nowadays...  My favourite thing is however, the amount of people that post on here that are NOT from North America.  I live in Atlantic Canada, and more specifically a fairly culture-less part of the east coast.  So to read the thoughts and opinions of people that are based so far away is awlays of interest to me.

I do have a least favourite thing about this place, but as it is a free service and the good greatly out weighs the bad ( more of a slight greivence really ) I feel it would be looking a gift horse in the mouth to complain.  

Blah blah blah,

~T

• December 9, 2011 12:05 PM CST
    • Are you talking about in the forum discussions, groups, podcasts, or what, specifically?

• December 9, 2011 9:50 AM CST
    • LOVE the site for sure, but I do wish there was more soul, exotica and old school blues.

• December 9, 2011 7:49 PM CST
    • Suzanne, you need to use the "Media" button when embedding videos here. You should be able to edit your post and fix it.

Thanks!

Suzanne Walter said:

Evil Erik and the Zekes reminded me I meant to post this killah!

<iframe width="475" height="267" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N_gVBFdSb3Y?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• December 9, 2011 5:06 PM CST
    • Ska came from R&B, jazz and boogie woogie, this song's all the evidence you need. Got anymore Jamaican jazz & R&B?

Sam Sinister said:

Wipeout! said:

I'm not much on reggae but I really dig the trad ska/bluebeat/rocksteady stuff from the early 60s...slowly realizin' I dig most, if not all, music made from the early 60s (i.e. surf, vocal groups, pop, r'n'r, ska,...the list goes on baby)

Check out this gem, from 1951 (boogie woogie with the ska upbeats!):

• December 9, 2011 3:57 PM CST
    • really love this one

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h2ktditzShI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• December 8, 2011 10:40 PM CST
    • Wipeout! said:

I'm not much on reggae but I really dig the trad ska/bluebeat/rocksteady stuff from the early 60s...slowly realizin' I dig most, if not all, music made from the early 60s (i.e. surf, vocal groups, pop, r'n'r, ska,...the list goes on baby)

Check out this gem, from 1951 (boogie woogie with the ska upbeats!):

• December 9, 2011 6:08 PM CST
    • Playlist Dec 8/2011

On this show, we commemerate the Montreal Massacre of 1989 by playing all women's voices.

1. Holly And The Italians...Tell That Girl To Shutup....from The Right To Be Italian LP from 1981.

2. Dead Rabbits...Your Ego...from the Boot To The Head reunion CD recorded at Call The Office here in London 7/5/2002. This goes out to bassist Dave Lightfoot who passed away last week. Dave was in a few of the very first punk bands to come out of London, The Regulators, The Sinners and as heard, The Dead Rabbits.

3. Dead Rabbits...No Way...as above. Dead Rabbits didn't do any recording when they existed in the late 70's/early 80's although a couple of live shows from the Cedar Lounge have been preserved on cassette...we've played snippets of these over the years.

4. Thrills...Hey...from the Dionysus compilation LP Shielded By Death compiled by our pal Keith Grave. Boston based, Thrills were a late 70's combo that shoulda been better known.

5. The Living Deadbeats...Time...from the garagepunk. com download CD Songs The Hideout Taught Us. Features Londoner Pete Fink on bass.

6. Cordcalling...When I Scream...from their first CD, London based couple who play out fairly regularly.

7. Dishrags...I Don't Love You...from their Love/Hate CD on OPM that came out in 1997. Victoria all girl punk combo from the late 70's.

8. Red Aunts...Sleeping In The Wet Spot...from their Drag CD on SFTRI.

9. Sphinxs...Time Above Me...from their split 12" with Miesha and The Spanks.

10. Nikki And The Corvettes...Back Seat Love...from their 1980 debut LP on Bomp Records.

11. Nikki Corvette and The Stingrays...Back To Detroit...from the CD of the same name from 2008...Cousin Johnny is on the drums on this one.

12. Party Lights...Before You Came Here...from their new 7" and based in NYC.

13. Shanker and Romps...Get Lucky With Me...from their Pancakin' CD. 2 piece outta Ottawa that features Patrick Shanks on guitar and Romps on drumbs and vocals. One of the funnest bands to see live as they put a smile on everyone's face.

14. Amy Rigby...Dancing With Joey Ramone...from the Little Fugitive CD. Amy now tours with her husband Wreckless Eric and are an amazing live act if you get a chance to catch them.

15. Vibrating Beds...What You Do To Me....from their 7" and outta Winnipeg.

16. Photoroman...Faux Depart...from their 7" and outta Quebec.

17. Hook Up...Fin...from their soon to be release CD, Call Up The Devil.

18. Big Maybelle...New Kind Of Mambo...1954 Okeh sessions. Maybelle was the first to record Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On that Elvis made into a standard.

19. Sister Rosetta Tharpe...He's The Lily Of The Valley...from the Spirituals In Rhythm LP. Love the way she puts the repetitive emphasis on Lily....almost rockabilly like.  One of the wildest female guitarists ever!

20. Sister Rosetta Tharpe...Jericho...from the Gospel Train LP. Picked this LP up for almost nothing at the last London Record show and it's a goodun!

21. Dustaphonics...Burlesque Queen...from the just released Party Girl on Dirty Water Records. Tura Satana wrote the lyrics for this one just before she passed on.

22. Zellots...Soldiers...from the Emac 1981 demos and from London Ontario. You can read all about The Zellots in Mongrel Zine #10 outta Vancouver.

23. Demolition Doll Rods...Queen Bee Drag Racin'...from the Tasty LP. 2 gals and a Gory transvestite talk about drag racing....

24. Nona Rae...Real Cool Kitty...from the Rockarolla Ahillabilly WIng Ding Do LP that came out in the late 80's when there were tons of crazy rockabilly comps coming out.

25. Satan's Cheerleaders...I'm Damned...from the Infinity CD on SFRTRI. Originally released as a 7' and features Vampira, the Z movie actress who appeared in many trashy flicks in the late 50's/early 60's.

26. Miss Delois...Daddy Was A Preacher and Mamma Was A Go Go Girl...from the Country Trash CD.

27. Stolen Minks...Batman...from the Family Boycott CD. Love song to Batman from this Halifax all girl trash combo.

28. Pack AD...Rid Of Me...from their latest LP Unpersons. Pack AD are in London at APK next friday along with The Standstills.

Thanx for all of the call-ins, phone-ins, emails etc etc.....we got most of the requests on this one.

Next week we've got a special treat,  Windsor's Weirdonia will be appearing live on Radio What Wave playing over the airwaves for your enjoyment! Check them out in the latest ish of Bananas fanzine out of NYC!!!

And here's the podcast:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/..94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• December 9, 2011 3:38 PM CST
    • Thanks dude! Yeah I found that 7" and I did cut a lil rug! Know what you mean though, about the Hollywood sinners song- it's kind of unexciting though it sounds like it should be- or something.

Meanwhile, I found a few other tracks of the HW Sinners that I enjoyed- like "wonderful feeling" on We Won't Change. I also ended up stumbling apron the Revellions "Up to you"- Decent stuff right there  

Plasms said:

The Urges Theme on their Dirty Water 7" is pretty dark and dancey. I'm not too keen on the Hollywood Sinner's song on the other side though. It's a bit sort of... tame? But trying to sound wild? I dunno, maybe it's just because the studio's never a good place to go wild.

But I digress. Os Haxixins for sure. Twin Guns for maybe. Wau Y Los Arrrghs!'s song Carerra Especial is real real real good. It's on Slovenly, and speaking of Slovenly, JC Satan have a few good dark stompy songs, but they're peppered in amongst some forgettable echofests. That's their first LP anyways. Haven't heard the new one yet.

• December 9, 2011 1:11 PM CST
    • Show #352: "The Eggman Collection #106"

Every 3 weeks I do a series of shows called The Eggman Collection which is a big potpourri of every song I've ever liked in my life...EVER! It's literally a huge mixing bowl full of songs written onto tiny pieces of paper. Over 15,000 songs that I've been compiling for the past 20-plus years of my life. Every song I've ever liked has gone into this bowl, and every three weeks I draw them out one-by-one and play them for you in no particular order. A mix of everything and anything I like, no matter what genre, era, style or year of release...if I like it, then I'll play it! No repeats of the same song ever! Tune in tonight (Friday) at 10pm EST for the 106th installment of The Eggman Collection and hear bands and artists like: Matching Mole, Los Vidrios Quebrados, High Tide, The Rock Shop, The Beatles, The Gods, Jon, Faine Jade, The Yo Yo's, Eclection, Them, Leonard Cohen, John Cale, Kensington Market, The Flame, The Zombies, Funkadelic, Spontaneous Combustion, Saint Just, and many many others!!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• December 9, 2011 1:06 PM CST
    • I can only find Gulcher releasing CD's, not vinyl, or Hoosier Hysteria. I don't believe it was them, but thanks.

• December 9, 2011 12:17 PM CST
    • Was it Gulcher Records? They've put out a bunch of Gizmos stuff (great shit, too!). But I can't find a website for 'em anymore...

• December 9, 2011 11:46 AM CST
    • I've heard that about him, very cool...It would be very interesting to hear his take on your song "How 'Bout I Slap Your Shit"!

Weirdonia said:

saw Hank III in detroit, got to meet him after! even gave him a Weirdonia t-shirt!
      He's the most humble and nice guy i've ever met, gotta make it to one of his shows again 

• December 9, 2011 11:42 AM CST
    • saw Hank III in detroit, got to meet him after! even gave him a Weirdonia t-shirt!
      He's the most humble and nice guy i've ever met, gotta make it to one of his shows again 

• December 9, 2011 2:11 AM CST
    • Dirtbombs NYC Dec 17th

• December 8, 2011 9:45 PM CST
    • Some diverse acts this month...

The Heiz (kick arse R & R from Japan), Bob Log III, The Damned (on thier Damned 3*and Black Album tour), and Shellac.