Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 13, 2011 9:57 PM CST
    • It appears to be the same guy that puts the whole thing together - Sean Aaberg. Did you check out the buttons? Yeah, yeah they're reproductions, but whatevs:

kopper said:

That cover kicks ass. Whose artwork is that?

• December 12, 2011 8:25 PM CST
    • Yep, totally dig it.

• December 12, 2011 6:41 PM CST
    • That cover kicks ass. Whose artwork is that?

• December 12, 2011 5:05 PM CST
    • Pork Magazine

A friend of mine turned me on to this, caught me completely off guard, check it out it's pretty cool stuff:

Pork Magazine

• December 13, 2011 4:51 PM CST
    • Damn! I'm so happy I saw this this is so sick. I like the rawness of his voice. It might be a bit corny but The Ghastly Ones have some pretty cool stuff and also Messer Chups from Russia has a sick spook vibe.

Marty Shane, Pacifiction Records said:

I was gonna post a vid of The Fang by Nervous Norvus... and then I stumbled on this!

• December 13, 2011 4:32 PM CST
    • esquerita!

• December 12, 2011 10:29 PM CST
    • Guys like Rosalie and Conolly are good for their respective overall band sounds, but far from "great" players.

Standouts are Rod Argent, Brian Auger, Jerry Lee Lewis, Ray Manzarek and vastly underated if somewhat cheesy; Burton Cummings (listen to that live TV stuff Guess Who CD that came out awhile back). Tony Ashton and Graham Bond are pretty dang great too.

Not to mention the Nicky Hopkins of this world, etc. etc.

Soul players are a whole other bag - usually much "tastier" players with more of a groove as the music isn't usually (quite) as frantic. Booker T. and Preston are prime examples (though they could probably play rings around most rock players).

• December 12, 2011 5:19 PM CST
    • Daryl Hooper from The Seeds

• December 12, 2011 12:34 PM CST
    • Anybody mention Jerry Roslie? Or Michael Brown [Left Banke]? Rod Argent HAS to be a contender, surely...I like his piano in 'Remember You', alongside the aforementioned 'Just Out Of Reach'. How 'bout John Cale's work with the Velvets - 'All Tomorrow's Parties' is beyond beautiful, whereas 'Sister Ray' is super-horrid [in a good way, of course!].

• December 13, 2011 11:09 AM CST
    • The rest of the Out of the Vaults episodes can be found here:

http://www.garagepunk.com/category/podcast/out-of-the-vaults-into-your-ears/

It sort of got left behind when we transferred the podcasting over to the Hideout. I'd love to post more episodes of that if we get more good live recordings (we simply need the material). But each of the show producers is kinda on their own in that regard.

Aside from that, I'm always open to new show ideas. And even if I don't decide to include it on the station/network (I admit I'm very picky), you're still free to produce it on your own and promote it on the Hideout.

• December 12, 2011 6:07 PM CST
    • Well, as for gigs recorded, we use to have this cool podcast :

"OUT OF THE VAULTS INTO YOUR EARS".

As far as I remember, THIS was the latest episode, hosted by Mr Gringo Starr himself :

THE UNTOLD FABLES recorded live in 1985 !!!

You can check FREDDI's blog too, in addition to his cool KICKS FROM THE BOOT podcast, he posts some bootleg recordings of live gigs.

• December 12, 2011 2:28 PM CST
    • cool ! yes it is a vt+ il go and have look around.

dying slowly said:

is it a vt+? caus thats what ive got if it is go on the vox website click toneroom an search garage rock click the name decay666 and go throse those tones their mine

amoebaboy said:

there is no way i could afford an ac 30, so i went out and bought a vox  valvetronix , the real thing it aint, but it still sounds friggin awesome.

its the cheap alternative, for folks like me who hardly have a pot to piss in.

loads of classic amp models to choose from with a selection of useable fx on board.

seriously, go and try one, our guitarist has a cool  orange tube amp, even he was impressed by it

• December 12, 2011 2:07 PM CST
    • Hi Mole - for a 16th of a page (the small one!), it's £88 (+VAT) for a label to plug it wares.  But if you're an independent record store, real shop and/or online, they do a cheaper deal for £35.  Alas, we only qualified as a label but I do know that after advertising via RC the lovely FruitsdeMer chaps sell out of their 500 press runs very quickly....

• December 12, 2011 12:37 PM CST
    • Hey Col, if you don't mind me asking, what do they charge for an ad? State Records were looking to place one but I never got any response from the main ad dude...??!

Col Wolfe said:

we're taking out an ad in Record Collector magazine for our next release, just to see what effect it has on orders

they apparently have a 35,000 subscription list

so will hopefully get enough orders to cover the cost :D

• December 12, 2011 12:51 PM CST
    • Is that the dude that hand-presses stuff? Many moons ago the [pre-Embrooks] Lyds ended up with a NZ hand-pressed clear vinyl 7", that was pretty gravelly but fun. Kinda played a bit like an acetate, i.e. you wouldn't get too many plays out of it before it started to deteriorate...!! 

Thee Wild Wraith said:

Anyone interested in doing short runs might consider Peter King out of New Zealand. He will do minimum runs of 20. His prices are pretty damned cheap as long as you do a small run (like 100 or less). Most people wouldn't want to do that, but I think it's great. Aside from the normal stuff he also does 5"s, 8"s, square records, triangles and custom shaped stuff. Everything he does is on clear vinyl.

He doesn't have a website, you have to call him or write him a letter for a quote. If anyone is interested I can email you his contact info. There are a few videos of him making records up on youtube, do a search for "peter king vinyl".

I was pretty happy with the records he did for me. They look great. I'd say the sound quality is a little lower than a regular record, but still really good in my opinion. He's a good option for smaller bands, and people interested in weird/novelty vinyl. Also he's just a really friendly and helpful guy.

• December 12, 2011 12:49 PM CST
    • Weirdly, I found it's cheaper to go via Disc Manufacturing Services in Portsmouth [who seem to get all their vinyl pressed by GZ] than it is to deal with GZ directly??! I can only assume that DMS put a lot of business GZ's way and get a better deal...

Nacker said:

Anyone know of a cheaper pressing plant than GZ in europe?

• December 12, 2011 11:35 AM CST
    • I'll try to be more inventive then just say podcast to the most favorite thing: I'll go deeper and say "for opening the door to music I would have never heard otherwise".

My least favorite thing; when I get overwhelmed and don't listen to all the podcasts and feel like I am missing out on something big.

• December 12, 2011 11:33 AM CST
    • I believe the group with the most members (or top 3) here on the Hideout is European in yer pants! This site is not specifically just for North America even though the official language is English. Check the map on the main page for some reference.

Tommy Careless said:

...  My favourite thing is however, the amount of people that post on here that are NOT from North America.  I live in Atlantic Canada, and more specifically a fairly culture-less part of the east coast.  So to read the thoughts and opinions of people that are based so far away is awlays of interest to me.