Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• December 5, 2011 10:55 AM CST
    • Awe thank you sir! Will do this very moment! x

Lucas Best Schmit said:

DEFINITELY recommend the Hex Dispensers. I myself am a big fan of Murder City Devils and Black Eyes & Neckties.

kopper said:

I'd recommend the Hex Dispensers, Lost Sounds, Thee Oh Sees, Ty Segall... stuff like that.

• December 4, 2011 7:42 PM CST
    • The Urges Theme on their Dirty Water 7" is pretty dark and dancey. I'm not too keen on the Hollywood Sinner's song on the other side though. It's a bit sort of... tame? But trying to sound wild? I dunno, maybe it's just because the studio's never a good place to go wild.

But I digress. Os Haxixins for sure. Twin Guns for maybe. Wau Y Los Arrrghs!'s song Carerra Especial is real real real good. It's on Slovenly, and speaking of Slovenly, JC Satan have a few good dark stompy songs, but they're peppered in amongst some forgettable echofests. That's their first LP anyways. Haven't heard the new one yet.

• December 4, 2011 12:40 PM CST
    • DEFINITELY recommend the Hex Dispensers. I myself am a big fan of Murder City Devils and Black Eyes & Neckties.

kopper said:

I'd recommend the Hex Dispensers, Lost Sounds, Thee Oh Sees, Ty Segall... stuff like that.

• December 5, 2011 8:02 AM CST
    • I bet the car company itself has very little to do with it. It's marketing, and whoever their marketing agency is (I think it's ATTIK or Rogers and Cowan) most likely came up with the whole plan/strategy to conquer the young, trendsetting hipster market (think 18-24 year olds) by getting them involved with Vice, and Vice just happens to be vesting a lot of promotion into garage rock these days. Scion has done some pretty unique things in marketing its brand that other car makers haven't tried. Watch the video on this article to see what I mean.

About Scion

Scion, from Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., was developed with a new generation of youthful buyers in mind.  Scion's mission is to provide distinctive products, the opportunity to personalize, and an innovative, consumer-driven process at the retail level.  The Scion brand features three ground-breaking models with a wide array of standard features: the xD urban subcompact five-door, the iconic xB urban utility vehicle, and the tC sports coupe.  The brand often applies new practices in all aspects of its business and pushes the creativity envelope with non-traditional advertising and marketing to engage young consumers. For more information, visit www.scion.com.

joey fuckup said:

Yep, downloaded mine a couple of weeks ago...Ha, sorry I didn't post something about it on here (Thanks Steve). There's also a free download from King Khan on there too! I was really impressed with Scion's music site, but honestly haven't had the time to check out their online 'zine. Very cool (and odd) that a car company would put this much effort and support into music, though, but I'm not complaining at all! Hopefully I'll make one of their garage musicfests one day (granted they continue to do one every year).

• December 4, 2011 11:09 AM CST
    • King Khan! Fuck a duck, I'm downloading now!

I've posted in here before that I saw a free Scion show in New York last year -- Kid Congo Powers with Hux & His Punx. The weird thing is, I'd just bought my airplane tickets when I got this email hyping the show.

(Here's a video from that.

I think the person who taped this was standing just to my left)

• December 4, 2011 10:37 AM CST
    • Yep, downloaded mine a couple of weeks ago...Ha, sorry I didn't post something about it on here (Thanks Steve). There's also a free download from King Khan on there too! I was really impressed with Scion's music site, but honestly haven't had the time to check out their online 'zine. Very cool (and odd) that a car company would put this much effort and support into music, though, but I'm not complaining at all! Hopefully I'll make one of their garage musicfests one day (granted they continue to do one every year).

• December 4, 2011 6:01 AM CST
    • So good. Listened to Watching My baby straight away, always loved that song. Fuck it, the guy can do no wrong.

• December 5, 2011 5:31 AM CST
    • le Mondo Bizarro in Rennes, France is one cool club too !

• December 4, 2011 10:15 PM CST
    • I love this stuff! I also really like the early dub stuff like King Tubby, Prince Fari & Lee Scratch Perry (before he went nuts).

• December 4, 2011 8:01 PM CST
    • Definitely.  Toots & The Maytals were always my favorites.  Toots Hibbert is a great soul vocalist -- always reminded me of a Jamaican Otis Redding.  A lot of the Trojan Records artists were terrific. 

• December 4, 2011 12:12 PM CST
    • I love ska, especially the mod/skinhead stuff.

• December 4, 2011 10:13 PM CST
    • Well-known fact that Cook and Jones were both huge Faces fans, going so far as to say on the record that that's who they wanted to be when they decided to form a band (prior to it being called the Sex Pistols, the early Wally Nightingale-fronted "The Strand"). And yes, all of the members each had their own influences, but most of them were glitter rock (namely the Faces, The Stooges, The Dolls, Alice Cooper, Bowie, and T.Rex, along with the aforementioned Modern Lovers. Don't forget, too, that Matlock was supposedly kicked out of the band for liking the Beatles and the Who, so there was also a powerpop influence, whether the other band members liked it or not).  

Sorry for bumping an old thread, BTW, but it's kinda up my alley. ;) 

• December 4, 2011 7:58 PM CST
    • "Oil City Confidential" will be on the Documentary Channel this coming Wednesday, December 7th. Hot diggity dawg.

• December 4, 2011 4:34 PM CST
    • I know of a couple powerpop bands, but alas, their 'bods' aren't very power pop

• December 4, 2011 2:25 PM CST
    • Oops, I meant to post this:

• December 4, 2011 12:02 PM CST
    • An oldie but a goodie, Joe Jackson's Look Sharp album is another big time favorite. If you've never heard it, I suggest you give it a listen!

• December 4, 2011 11:37 AM CST
    • Oh,didn´t know that they reissued "ACID DREAMS"-must try to get it!

Thanx for the info!!!!

Dead Boy said:

I found that "Acid Dreams" (the original version) has reissued on CD, but "Acid Dreams Testament" (which has many bonus tracks) is still available!  "Acid Dreams" has some tracks which "Acid  Dreams Testament" doesn't have, but "Testament" is better than the original, I think.

• December 4, 2011 9:30 AM CST
    • I found that "Acid Dreams" (the original version) has reissued on CD, but "Acid Dreams Testament" (which has many bonus tracks) is still available!  "Acid Dreams" has some tracks which "Acid  Dreams Testament" doesn't have, but "Testament" is better than the original, I think.

• December 4, 2011 6:54 AM CST

• what is that guitar?
      THEE DIRTYBEATS said:

THEE DIRTYBEATS use mostly period instruments from the mid-60's, including KAPA, Mosrite, Rickenbacker and Fender guitars, Fender and Ampeg amps, Big Muff fuzzes, and Morley wahs.  It helps us better recreate the awful/glorious racket made by the original garage bands of the day.   

My '67 KAPA Minstrel teardrop (see attached pic) is a good example.  It was a cheap guitar way back when, and today the pickups are particularly touchy... but the sound, as unpredictable as it is, is so wonderfully gritty, it's just glorious.  I ended up using it on all the solos I played on our debut ep.

-A

THEE DIRTYBEATS - 100% pure maximum vintage garage
      FREE DOWNLOAD 2011 DEBUT EP  http://theedirtybeats.bandcamp.com

• December 4, 2011 6:45 AM CST
    • human fly is on a nother car advert not sure for who

• December 4, 2011 6:39 AM CST
    • ProCo YouDirtyRat + amps gain

• December 4, 2011 4:46 AM CST
    • There was a great band in Manchester a year or so back called The Witches. I know they signed to a small label, but not sure if they ever got round to putting anything out. Must investigate. Anyway, here's what they sound like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LxGTD18Ig